Start by marking “Shades of Gray (Vampire Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Gray (Vampire Trilogy, #1)

Shades of Gray (Vampire Trilogy #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  787 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 0505522438
390 pages
Published January 1998 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Gray

♥♥Mari♥♥
Marisa Richards, the novel's protagonist, decides to attend the Roskovich Carnival, a small circus visiting Los Angeles, California, her hometown. There she encounters a strange exhibit: "Count Alexi Kristov, Oldest Vampire in Existence". She also meets the mysterious and very attractive Grigori Chiavari, who claims to be a magician.

Shortly thereafter, on the evening news (this is a modern-day vampire tale), Marisa is shocked to learn that the bodies of four women, drained of blood, have been d
Robin
Marisa the main character is at a carnival. She goes into the tent to see the vampire on display. Somehow she cuts herself. This awakens the long sleeping vampire. Soon, the vampire kills his keeper and goes after Marisa for his own. Along come Grigori who is after the killer vampire. By the way, Grigori is also a vampire himself. Also along comes Edward a human vampire slayer. He decides its his duty to protect Marisa while he is also falling in love with her. But, to his dismay she is falling ...more
Monique
I was hoping for more... The plot was thin, the characters while interesting were underdeveloped. The vampire and virgin fall in love meanwhile she's being persued by another vampire. I've heard the story before told much better. There's action, but the final showdown is anticlimactic. This is more of a fluffy romance than a story with any substance. I'll read the next few books because I've already purchased them. Luckily the half priced book store buys books back!
Mydearloverboy
3.5 stars...overall, I felt the book dragged a bit and the heroine doesn't deserve the hero (she seemed to be a bit too whiny and unaccepting of him because she thinks vampires are lower than humans...she definitely got on my nerves)

Also, the ending was a bit abrupt and rushed.
Overall, an ok read, but an interesting change for me after reading so many carpathian novels by Ms.Feehan;p
Freda
I find it hard to believe that I only have one of this author's books. The reason being that every time I pick up a different one at the bookstore and read the blurb and a couple of pages of it, I feel like I've already read it.
Raina
I can see why someone else wrote that the ending was an anticlimax.
Paranormal Romance
Now this is how I remember Amanda Ashley stories being like. Boring with a capital B. The heroine goes to the circus because she's drawn to the main attraction. Supposedly the oldest vampire is existence. There she cuts her finger and inadvertently the blood awakens him from his slumber and when she returns to see the creature again, the circus is shut down and the killings of young woman begin. Now, when we first meet the heroine, it's almost like she is fascinated with vampires because she goe ...more
Amanda
Marissa decides to go to a carnival being held in her hometown of Los Angeles. She is intrigues by an exhibit, “Count Alexi Kristov, Oldest Vampire in Existence.” I’d been intrigued by a title like that. She goes into the tent and while she is there she manages to cut her finger and also bumps into a mysterious, handsome man named Grigori.

Grigori has been following the carnival. He wants to end Alexi and exact revenge upon the depraved vampire that murdered his family. The scent of Marissa blood
Cynthia
I read this book for the first time two years ago, and recently re-read it. I loved it the first time, and loved it the second time around.

Shades of Gray is the first book in this trilogy, and tells the story of Grigori and Marisa. Marisa unknowingly awakens an evil vampire named Alexi Kristov from the confines of a death sleep. Grigori, a vampire also, has been trying to destroy Alexi since he destroyed his family when Grigori was mortal. Edward Ramsey, a vampire hunter, joins Grigori to try to
Fairyblood
Oh how a little cut can start a chain reaction of events that leads Marisa on one hell of an ride. Who would have thought that a rainy Halloween and a travelling carnie, Marisa would find herself looking at a real vampire. Convincing herself that it must be a hoax, she accidently trips and cuts herself. Her blood awakens the vampire, Alexi, from his century old sleep as he must find the owner of that sweet blood, and of course draining many innocents along the way.

Not realising the danger she is
Sara
Sep 25, 2008 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women saving themselves for marriage
Ugh, I do not want to read anymore Amanda Ashley books. This is the second one I read (the other was Dead Perfect). I like the storylines well enough, but....

I don't want to spell it out, but let us just say that I read paranormal romance because I am looking for "the act" that is the ultimate expression of romance but with a supernatural twist. Unfortunately, this author seems to have a hang up about sex only occuring in the confines of marriage. In both these books, her heroines proclaim they
Pamela Higgins
I loved this book i always read it. Would love to find out what happens to Grigori and Marisa in another book :)
Jen.
Overall, I liked the books. I had issues with the quick switch between first and last name in the same paragraph. I found that very annoying. It was almost like there were three extra characters. Referring to the same character by his first name in one sentence and then in the next referring to him by his last name had me rereading cause I thought the author snuck in some extra characters.

There were some dragged out parts. There are 390 pages in this books...perhaps 50 could have been cut out.
Julie
love the paranormal books but this was totally rubbish would not even waste my time on it
Ashley
This book was given to me during a time that I couldn't be picky about what I read or I would have nothing to read. I know I read this since it was about vampires, but other than that, I have no idea what it was about. I must not have loved it or hated it as I am drawing a blank when I picture it in my mind. I have a recollection of it being a easy read that helped me kill a few hours in the night, battling insomnia.
But I know that I never attempted to seek out any more of the books (if they eve
Paige
I found SHADES OF GRAY to be pretty monotone with no real ups or downs. The characters didn’t really grab my affection and the story overall was just bland.
Jaime
My first Ashley book, and I have to say it was pretty darn good. Story line flowed, characters were great. Fairytale type romance with the wining, dining and showering with gifts stuff. Many girls dream of that type of man to sweep them off their feet. So, a little more romancier then I wished but none the less good. Wish there was a little more action/violence...lol
Christina Williams
I don't know why but I just didn't get into this book. I found the characters really one dimensional and it really seemed that the "romance" was forced and just didn't ring true. I know it is one of a trilogy but I'm just not intrigued enough to keep reading.
Maria

Everlasting Series:
1. Everlasting Kiss
2. Everlasting Desire
debbie thompson
it was a pretty good book.
Tammy Sargeant
The very first of the series. This is what made me start to travel the AA road. It was somewhat so so but still some interesting bits.
Jenny Gottlieb
A thoroughly enjoyable book. Very rich characters, a great plot, and plenty of action. I am looking forward to reading more by this author.
Alison
Great read! a wee bit too mushy and romantic for me. Great plot and ending! Away to start follow up- After Sundown.
Chynared21
The story is decent but the writing could use more polish and I felt that the ending was a little rushed.
Joy
Amanda Ashley could have told this story in a lot less words. It was a good story but to long.
7inthelaakehouse
Very classic vampire book. Too much step by step plot. Nothing new and exciting.
Beth
Great read, my favorite of the books I read by Amanda Ashley's books so far.
Megan
Good. More murder mystery type than vampire romance. Ah well.
Charlotte
more romance then anything else.
rather silly in places.
  • A Taste of Darkness (Mackenzie Vampires, #3)
  • Passionate Thirst (Candace Steele Vampire Killer #1)
  • When Darkness Falls (Vampire #2)
  • Reckless Embrace (Reckless #4)
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Prince of Twilight (Wings in the Night #12)
  • Ceremony of Seduction (Seduction, #1)
  • Blood and Destiny (Ladies of St. George, #1)
  • Watchers in the Night (The Guardians of the Night, #1)
  • Vampire Dreams (Victorian Erotic, #1)
  • Lucien's Delight (Dalakis Passion, #2)
  • Forever and the Night (Vampire, #1)
  • Prince of Dreams (Val Cache, #2)
  • A Vampire's Salvation (Beyond Human Novellas, #1)
  • Out of the Night (Night Slayer, #1)
  • The Mark of the Vampire Queen (Vampire Queen, #2)

Vampire Trilogy (3 books)
  • After Sundown (Vampire Trilogy, #2)
  • Desire After Dark (Vampire Trilogy, #3)
Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London, #0.5; Dream-Hunter, #0.5) After Twilight (Dark, #7) Night's Kiss (Children of The Night, #1) Bound by Night (Bound #1) Night's Touch (Children of The Night, #2)