Start by marking “In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)” as Want to Read:
In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)

In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington #7)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  11,820 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
Honor Harrington has survived ship-to-ship combat, assassins, political vendettas, and duels. But this time, Honor and her crew, ambushed and captured, are aboard an enemy ship, bound for a prison planet aptly named "Hell" - and her scheduled execution. Yet the one lesson Honor has never learned is how to give up. She and her people are going home - even if it means conque ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Baen (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about In Enemy Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Enemy Hands

Jim
Sep 08, 2008 Jim rated it liked it
While not the best book in the series, it certainly has its moments. As usual, the title is a spoiler, but that's OK. Unfortunately, it gives Weber a chance to make lots of people go all gooey over Honor until the heroine worship, already cloying, becomes just too much.

We definitely get a much deeper look into Haven's society & problems. Weber has done a fine job there & the book is worth reading for that if nothing else. He's done a fine job of drawing parallels to our current welfare
Chris
Feb 09, 2012 Chris rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Jettison the debris, clear the missle tubes, abandon ship. Whatever it takes to stop my eyes from further bleeding.

This is a sad day. I've rated most of these books to this points with 4-stars, with one of them good enough to earn a coveted 5th star. Most of them have infodumps and boring spells, but this one has had nothing else for the first third.

Too many books out there I want to read, so no point in continuing to torturing myself.

I might pick it up again later, but for now I'm resigning my
Jamie Collins
Not one of the best of this series. It takes even longer than usual for anything to happen, about 200 pages. The situation that puts Honor in a position to be captured seems contrived, as does the whole escape scenario.

I think Weber has introduced a Lady Barbara for his Horatio: Honor has fallen in love with the Earl of White Haven. I've been careful to avoid spoilers on this series, but if I had to guess, things don't look good for White Haven's wife.
Chris
Feb 17, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Ron
Sep 19, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
It was good, even though I read it out of order--which can be agonizing on Harrington books.

The usual chapter-long recapitulations and data dumps early on finally gives way to a fun, interesting story.
Casey
In Enemy Hands does not have the distinction of redeeming the Honor Harrington series. It is another installment that is long, drawn out and rather boring.

Honor is now a Commodore in the Manticoran Navy, rather restored compared to her situation a few books ago. While waiting for the next big engagement, she goes on an escort mission and is captured by the Peeps, along with some of her personnel, including Nimitz, McKeon, LaFollet, Harkness and a female character that I can barely remember.

The
Zachary
Dec 18, 2008 Zachary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Just when Honor seemed to be back on track in the RMN, resuming her illustrious career there, the universe seems to turn against her. Caught in a surprise ambush, she manages to save the rest of her convoy, but the ship she is on is captured.

Now the Peeps have her, and and their queen of propaganda, Cordelia Ransom, has specific designs on Harrington's fate - and those plans don't include longevity of life.

In several of the more exceptional books of this series, the pace has gone from steady to
Jack
Nov 05, 2012 Jack rated it it was ok
This novel, IMO, is where Honor Harrington jumps the shark.

Honor is captured by the Peeps, who don't like her and execute her. Well, except for the part where... No, never mind, that would be spoiling.

This also contains the very start of the Lord-Nelson-approved affair with a married woman, er, man. Weber maintained he had to do it to be fair to "Nelson in Space". Many of his fans at the time replied, "No, you don't."

The first six novels are good space opera, although the sixth (Honor Among Enem
Kathi
Feb 08, 2012 Kathi rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
William
Yet again, terrific space stuff.

Dull, long-winded, repetitive political discussions and meetings.

Why write one book, when you can sell three?
Shaun Thomas
Apr 19, 2010 Shaun Thomas rated it really liked it
Am I done with David Weber's Honor Harrington series yet? Sadly, no. After finishing In Enemy Hands, I still have many more to go, but it's not a struggle I dread.

Fittingly, this particular installment is more about Haven than Honor or Manticore. The first half of the book is almost purely setup, and considering the title, it's not exactly a surprise that our heroine is eventually captured. But that's fine in this context, because Haven has historically received the short end of the stick. Haven
Guy
Jun 26, 2008 Guy rated it really liked it
As some of the other reviewers have said, this is not the strongest book in the Honor Harrington series (although it is still very good). My reason for finding it somewhat heavy going is probably, however, idiosyncratic: I just don't like reading about suffering, particularly in the context of captivity and torture. Not that torture is more than alluded to in the book -- we're nowhere close to the blood-soaked pages of Carey's "Kushiel's Legacy" series, or Mieville's "Perdido Street Station" -- ...more
Cloak88
Mar 27, 2016 Cloak88 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobook-2016
Not my favorite, but still quite good.

The book does much as the title implies. Things had to go wrong sometime and Honor loses and gets captured. Things get complicate with lots of politics and propaganda. Which is kind of what makes this a lesser book than the rest. The battles, fights and all the time spend with Honor is excellent, but there is way to much politics and to much time spent on people other than Honor herself.

The series moves away just a bit to far from Honor personal story to th
Kathy Davie
Sep 12, 2010 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
I'm addicted. Got home with In Enemy Hands and I just had to sit down and read to find out what happens next in the Alliance-Peeps war.

Jesus, talk about intense and very emotional...I hate having to wait until the next book.
Mandy Galileo
Jan 16, 2016 Mandy Galileo rated it it was amazing
Riveting adventure, a true heroine and Weber is a great storyteller.
E. Writes
Dec 08, 2016 E. Writes rated it it was amazing
This was a great shift in the Honor "formula" where everything turns out victorious for Harrington, wherein she actually is forced to surrender to the enemy to save the lives of her crew... and is soon on a course for execution by the more radical powers within the enemy government.
The stirring climax and re-appearances among hte supporting cast make this a great book in the "Honor-verse" and I couldn't stop reading!!!
If you only have a little time to dip into the Honor series, I'd recommend
Carolyn
Feb 10, 2017 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I love weber, don't get me wrong. His world building is awesome and his character development is fantastic. That being said sometimes his editor needs to remind him that we don't need to know every bolt that goes into making the star ships. As for this book, not exactly what I was expecting at the 3/4 mark it picked up in a big way. But the loss of some characters made me want to throw the book and the ending made me want to engage in glorious battle. Looking forward to the next book.
Benjamin
Jan 08, 2017 Benjamin rated it liked it
More Honor. You mostly know what to expect. The book end's on a cliffhanger this time. The blurb on the cover reveals the main plot point, which would have been much better as a surprise, especially given how late in the book it occurs.

my favorite quote: "She had to know she was lying, or she couldn't have done it so consistently and well."
Mike
Oct 27, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it
Starts slowly but has a terrific ending. Another great story in the series.
Nicole
Jan 12, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the action and events of this book. The simplicity of the politics (right and wrong of the sides) gets a bit old. Supposition that certain economic systems could last for generations seems highly speculative. Committee meetings and committee meetings. Still can't wait to read the next one!
Scott Holstad
Jun 07, 2015 Scott Holstad rated it it was amazing
I loved this Honor Harrington book and judging by its 4.20 (out of 5) score on Goodreads, so did a lot of other people. This is the seventh book in the series and they probably need to be read in order to benefit the most from the books. This book is very different from other Honor H books. We see less Honor and more of her crew, secondary characters, for example. They play the main roles in this novel. We see Honor actually lose a battle for the first time and surrender to a Haven ship, be take ...more
Christopher
Oct 07, 2012 Christopher rated it it was amazing
***Dave Hill
Apr 19, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: text

[Apr 2014]

In some ways, this volume begin the slow descent of the Honorverse series. There's some really solid story here, but the machine is beginning to increasingly creak, as we spend more and more time with talking heads discussing various aspects of the military and social situation, and setting up Honor's re-entrance to the Manticoran main fleet and then her capture by the Peeps.

------------

[Apr 2012]

Another major transition for Honor and the series, setting the groundwork for several book
J.L. Dobias
Apr 29, 2012 J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SFF MIlitary Psychological Political Thriller fans
Shelves: book-shelf-09
In Enemy Hands By David Weber (Honor Harrington Series Book 7)

As far as the honor character I really do enjoy the first three book much more than the rest. But in regards to the whole story and series this book is a pivotal part and it does have much more of depth into Honor's Character than I might have previously given it.

This is a long book and it carry's on the tradition of Political Military suspense thriller that David Weber has been building from day one. Everything that seemed extra and
Simone
Apr 23, 2016 Simone rated it really liked it
Before reading this book I did something that I've never done with the previous books in the series--I looked at the reviews. Now, the reviews did not do anything to change my opinion of the series before I started reading this book, and I have to say that I disagree with some of the things said about it now I've finished.

Primarily that part of some of the other reviews which complained about the description of Honor's treatment post her capture. I have to admit that I found some aspects of it u
Ed
Jun 27, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
#7 in the Honor Harrington series. Still in the process of being rehabilitated by the Manticore Navy, Honor has ben promoted to Commodore (although she is an Admiral in the Grayson Navy) and put in command of a heavy cruiser squadron. While the task force and the rest of her squadron is assembling, Honor is tasked to take six of her cruisers as escorts for an important convoy. While visiting the lead ship, it encounters a heavy enemy force. Taking an evasion course to draw the enemy away from th ...more
Cheryl
Dec 04, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Okay, so the title (and the book jacket's summary) give the plot of this book away... but it takes forever to get there. If the end wasn't so compelling, I would have marked this book down. I even complained about it to my husband: "I just wish Weber would get to the plot already!"

But then he does... and just like in all the other Honor Harrington books, once the action gets started, I couldn't stop reading (or listening).

The plot: Some months have passed since the events in the last book, and
Casey Hampton
Weighing in at nearly twenty hours, in Enemy Hands is the seventh volume in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. If you're new to this series, I highly urge you to start at the beginning with On Basilisk Station. This is solid military SF and if you can overlook the unnecessary info-dumping that Weber appears to frolic in at length, this is outstanding stuff.

The action scenes are crisp and well presented. And while there are a few ship-to-ship battles, most of the action occurs hand-to-ha
Cali W
Dec 28, 2016 Cali W rated it it was amazing
A bit slow until the halfway point because you're anticipating the ambush the entire time.
Lindsey
Jan 30, 2012 Lindsey rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Honorverse where Weber is clearly setting up for future installments. Any number of plot threads are left hanging (particularly with the treecats and (view spoiler)) and In Enemy Hands is the only cliff-hanger ending the series.

The best parts of this novel include a furthering/deepening of Honor & Nimitz's bond; (view spoiler)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • Hell's Faire (Posleen War, #4)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Honor Harrington (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1)
  • The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington, #8)
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • War of Honor (Honor Harrington, #10)
  • At All Costs (Honor Harrington, #11)

“This, she realized suddenly, was probably the best squadron command she would ever have—unless,” 0 likes
“rights, a physician with his experience and demonstrated skill should have been home in the Star Kingdom on the staff of one of the major base hospitals, or else assigned to one of the lavishly equipped hospital ships which accompanied the Fleet Train.” 0 likes