Start by marking “Farewell to Prague” as Want to Read:

Farewell to Prague

Farewell to Prague is a memoir set against the turbulent events of the Nazi era in Germany and World War II England. It is the story of a girl who, at the age of six, witnesses a murder being committed by German Storm Troopers. From that moment, the happy life she has known disintegrates.
Published December 1st 2009 by MP Publishing (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to Prague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to Prague

Anne
Mar 06, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Farewell to Prague is an amazing story of a twelve year old's escape alone from Prague as the German occupation began in March 1939. Her circuitous two month journey by foot and by train took her from Prague, through Czechoslovakia and north through Poland to the Baltic Sea where a fisherman in his small boat took her to sweden. Departing from Goteborg she went by ship on stormy seas to Southampton.

The journey was difficult because of the deep snow, rain and stormy seas. Also she traveled throug
Marilou
I never cease to be shocked and saddened by the loss and degradation that was inflicted on tender children, women and innocent men during the Nazi reign of terror. Miriam Darvas tells the story with taste and elegance. She would be 84 - perhaps she is still alive. Grief. Defiance. Submission. Resurrection. Never forget!
Leigh Anderson
Sep 10, 2015 Leigh Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had I read Farewell to Prague by Miriam Darvas even two weeks ago, it might not have resonated with me as much as it did. Even though WWII ended 70 years ago, the plight of refugees is just as relevant today.

This book was very hard to put down. It was not terribly detailed in some parts, but that mostly worked in the book’s favor. The urgency that pushed Miriam to move from place to place on a daily basis during some passages is conveyed to the reader.

What I found really interesting was how ever
Geeta
Jul 25, 2011 Geeta rated it really liked it
I read it on my return from Prague. Easy to get into, very well written. Thought provoking, emotional telling of the terrible experiences a young Jewish girl experiences during WWII. She is forced to flee and survive on her own during difficult times, poverty, death, etc. Amazing survival story. Short book.
Laurel Taylor
Jan 22, 2017 Laurel Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary odyssey

This ìs an awful history of what World War did to a young girl. Through unbelievable sadness and loss, destruction and death are scenes of good people helping just at the right time. This echoes countless other stories of survival.
Becky
Jul 09, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True and personal and heartbreaking and scary and hopeful and revelatory and …..
Memoir I read during a visit to Prague. Author was about 6 or 7 when the story begins with an escape….anything else would spoil it for you.
Patricia Anne. Dsvis
Farewell to Prague

I chose this rating because it is truly a wonderfully written book and thrilling story A great book! Keeps the reader wanting to read what happens next ! I recommend this book!
Peggy
Nov 23, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a small book it was packed with information. I could not put it down and found it excellent description of her life back then. The book made me want to learn more about Prague during that time.
Tammy Brathor
Jan 03, 2016 Tammy Brathor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book
Meg
Jun 17, 2016 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing read! So interesting and sad and inspirational. What an incredible life story.
Barbara
Jul 13, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book was poorly written, did not keep my interest after 75 pages.
Aug 21, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another holocost book about a family in Prague and what they did to save their daughter....... excellent
Ruth Rowlands
Jan 07, 2016 Ruth Rowlands rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compelling book

A very quick read giving a compelling story of what the Second World War did to one child caught up in the chaos.
Ann
Jul 07, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story, a true one at that. I could hardly stand to put it down.
Melissa Sellers
Jan 17, 2016 Melissa Sellers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It never fails to amaze me - the things that people lived through during WWII and the holocaust.
Susan E. Sadlon
Susan E. Sadlon rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Mickenzie Jensen
Mickenzie Jensen rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Richard Sullivan
Richard Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2012
Nelson King
Nelson King rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Summer Sustachek
Summer Sustachek rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Habeeba Sultan
Habeeba Sultan rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Janet Harris
Janet Harris rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Mary Yamaguchi
Mary Yamaguchi rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Danielle Martinez
Danielle Martinez rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Joyce R
Joyce R rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
  • A Country Lost, Then Found
  • A Romantic Education
  • Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts
  • International Relations
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • War Journal: My Five Years In Iraq
  • A Russian Diary: A Journalist's Final Account of Life, Corruption & Death in Putin's Russia
  • Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking
  • Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News
  • Under an Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
  • The Paradox of American Power: Why the World's Only Superpower Can't Go It Alone
  • Chocolate Chocolate: The True Story of Two Sisters, Tons of Treats, and the Little Shop That Could
  • My Happy Days In Hell
  • Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law
  • A Guest in My Own Country: A Hungarian Life
Miriam Darvas has served as the president and organizer of the National Women's Political Caucus and served on several boards and commissions. Farewell to Prague is her first book. She lives in Placerville, CA.
More about Miriam Darvas...

“I wondered what exactly the war had accomplished. Men had fought great battles: the Battle of the Bulge, the battle for Monte Casino, the battle for the beaches, for God and country, for God and freedom, for God and a pure race. They had left hundreds of cities in ruins and their people without shelter or food.” 0 likes