Start by marking “Farewell to Prague” as Want to Read:

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Farewell to Prague is a memoir set against the turbulent events of the Nazi era in Germany and World War II England. It is the story of a girl who, at the age of six, witnesses a murder being committed by German Storm Troopers. From that moment, the happy life she has known disintegrates.
Published December 1st 2009 by MP Publishing (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to Prague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to Prague

Anne
Farewell to Prague is an amazing story of a twelve year old's escape alone from Prague as the German occupation began in March 1939. Her circuitous two month journey by foot and by train took her from Prague, through Czechoslovakia and north through Poland to the Baltic Sea where a fisherman in his small boat took her to sweden. Departing from Goteborg she went by ship on stormy seas to Southampton.

The journey was difficult because of the deep snow, rain and stormy seas. Also she traveled throug
Marilou
I never cease to be shocked and saddened by the loss and degradation that was inflicted on tender children, women and innocent men during the Nazi reign of terror. Miriam Darvas tells the story with taste and elegance. She would be 84 - perhaps she is still alive. Grief. Defiance. Submission. Resurrection. Never forget!
Patricia Anne. Dsvis
Farewell to Prague

I chose this rating because it is truly a wonderfully written book and thrilling story A great book! Keeps the reader wanting to read what happens next ! I recommend this book!
Geeta
I read it on my return from Prague. Easy to get into, very well written. Thought provoking, emotional telling of the terrible experiences a young Jewish girl experiences during WWII. She is forced to flee and survive on her own during difficult times, poverty, death, etc. Amazing survival story. Short book.
Peggy
For a small book it was packed with information. I could not put it down and found it excellent description of her life back then. The book made me want to learn more about Prague during that time.
Another holocost book about a family in Prague and what they did to save their daughter....... excellent
Ann
This is a wonderful story, a true one at that. I could hardly stand to put it down.
Barbara
Aug 11, 2012 Barbara is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this book was poorly written, did not keep my interest after 75 pages.
Dave Mevis
Dave Mevis marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Maphead
Maphead marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Karen Locke
Karen Locke is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
Diane Killion
Diane Killion marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Virginia Ward
Virginia Ward marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Lauree
Lauree marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
charles foshay
charles foshay is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Kitty Tomlinson
Kitty Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
  • A Country Lost, Then Found
  • Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts
  • A Romantic Education
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • International Relations
  • War Journal: My Five Years In Iraq
  • Rather Outspoken: My Life in the News
  • Under an Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity
  • A Russian Diary: A Journalist's Final Account of Life, Corruption & Death in Putin's Russia
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
  • Invisible Chains: Canada's Underground World of Human Trafficking
  • The Paradox of American Power: Why the World's Only Superpower Can't Go It Alone
  • Children of Terror
  • Zemsta
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • Portfolios of the Poor: How the World's Poor Live on $2 a Day
Miriam Darvas has served as the president and organizer of the National Women's Political Caucus and served on several boards and commissions. Farewell to Prague is her first book. She lives in Placerville, CA.
More about Miriam Darvas...

“I wondered what exactly the war had accomplished. Men had fought great battles: the Battle of the Bulge, the battle for Monte Casino, the battle for the beaches, for God and country, for God and freedom, for God and a pure race. They had left hundreds of cities in ruins and their people without shelter or food.” 0 likes