Start by marking “Weirdos from Another Planet!” as Want to Read:
Weirdos from Another Planet!

Weirdos from Another Planet! (Calvin and Hobbes #4)

4.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,245 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
"Flashes of innovative genius abound. Exploring the world of Calvin and Hobbes is great therapy. The antics of the precocious boy and his suave stuffed tiger pal can pull anyone out of the doldrums." â”Amarillo News Globe

In Calvin and Hobbes book Weirdos From Another Planet!, this power-packed extravaganza of creative energy and imagination feature the childhood fun and fa
Published January 1st 1990 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Weirdos from Another Planet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weirdos from Another Planet!

Watchmen by Alan MooreMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonV for Vendetta by Alan MooreBatman by Frank Miller
Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
32nd out of 469 books — 396 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
259th out of 3,118 books — 6,085 voters

More lists with this book...

Prashant
Jun 12, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing
Oh! Book Lord, please give me more more more of this!!!

Nanche
Mar 01, 2015 Nanche rated it it was amazing
"That's one of the remarkable things about life. It's never so bad that it can't get worse." Calvin
Sana
Mar 25, 2009 Sana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a good laugh!
Some of my favorite ones:

Calvin: SUSIE, QUICK! GET HELP!
Somebody filled my sandbox with quicksand! I'm sinking fast! ACK! RRGHH!
Susie: Oh, right. Give me a break.
Calvin: Your gender would be a lot more tolerable if it wasn't so darn cynical!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin: Boy, what a beautiful summer morning, huh, Dad? Too bad you can't stay home to enjoy it.
When you're old, you'll be sorry you never took advantage of days like these, but of course,
Sam Ang
Jun 02, 2012 Sam Ang rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, comics
The full article of the review is available in this link:

Ever read the comic in pullout section of the newspaper? If you did, then Calvin and Hobbes will not be total strangers to you. The humorous comic which ran in boxes of four or sometimes luxuriously filling up half of the page had been featured in most comic sections for as far as I can read, and had been the company of most readers of newspaper. There are a few compilations of Calvin and Hobbes comi
PurplyCookie
Calvin is one kid that no one would ever want to try to raise, and Hobbes is one (stuffed) tiger that no one would ever want to mess with. But these two always have their fun, and they sure do have a hell of a lot of adventures (mostly with Calvin's parents): camping, going to the zoo, digging for dinosaur bones, going to Mars, being lifted up in the stratosphere by a balloon, fixing the bathroom sink among others. The list is always endless with this duo. There are tons of philosophical, satiri ...more
É F.K. Ó Conghaile
Nov 27, 2013 É F.K. Ó Conghaile rated it really liked it
As similar to my review of the previous Calvin and Hobbes (seen here: http://goo.gl/rTv1z7), there were several instances of food-related humour it could do without. Surprisingly, the parents' reception to Calvin's behaviour was less implicitly violent and more of the type of "Family Jokes" that annoy me to the point of cringing. Preferable to the "Threats Joke" that was prevalent in "It's a Magical World."

The cover is wonderful, and immediately drew me in-to read through it, as it's been a whil
Robert C.
Sep 25, 2013 Robert C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh no, I only have one more book left after this in my stash of Calvin & Hobbes books - I want more!

I just read that a book set has just been published that contains 4 paperbacks that contain every C&H strip ever syndicated:The Complete Calvin and Hobbes. It seems that Bill Watterson said everything that he needed to say on the subject by the mid 90s so guess what - if anybody wants to buy me an early Xmas present - they are more than welcome to buy me this. In fact, this'll do for the n
Diana Welsch
Oct 11, 2015 Diana Welsch rated it it was amazing
This was one of the few Calvin and Hobbes books I didn't have as a child, and I bought it (among many other books) to give away as a wedding favor. So I read it first. I'll try to make sure Iggy gets it! He loves Calvin and Hobbes! And he'll probably grow up to have a big vocabulary like I did thanks to these comics.

Sumirti Singaravel
This is my first copy of Calvin and Hobbes comics as a book and I am thoroughly thrilled to have my hands lay on it. I have always been an ardent lover of Bill Watterson's creativity, passion and beautiful sense of values which has taught(still teaching) the wonder beneath the quotidian life.

This book is a valued possession which I know that I would cherish for a lifetime(and perhaps add it in my Will and pass it on to the next generations to come).
Valerie
Which of us are weirdos from another planet? Well that depends on which side of the rock you're on.

I wish Calvin and Hobbes had managed to establish a dialog with the Martians. They might have had some solutions for the problems that face us.

As usual with these smaller collections, the Sunday strips are not in color, and they lose out thereby. But once again, there are unique drawings on the endpages and covers.
Lukeb
Jan 13, 2011 Lukeb rated it it was amazing
This was the first Calvin and Hobbes book I found and since then they have inspired me to buy almost every book in the seres. the funnest comics to read are when it's all in Calvin's mind. I love these books because they've always given me laughter over the years.
Ray Waltz
Feb 27, 2009 Ray Waltz rated it it was amazing
Here are two more things I love about about Calvin and Hobbes. Everyone thinks Hobbes is a stuffed animal! That funny. Also that nobody believes Calvin and Hobbes when they go on a wacky adventure such as - like in this book - going to Mars.
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it it was amazing
I took over a year break from reading these Calvin and Hobbes collection books, but now I sure am glad I picked up this one. Calvin never fails to make me smile, or even to laugh out loud.

I always found it a shame that Bill Watterson decided to discontinue this comic strip. He never marketed Calvin, so the only time ever see him anymore is on the back of vehicles peeing on another brand of vehicle or praying in front of a cross. I find it humorous the extremes of the two stickers.

That aside, C
Jade Adkins
Jul 09, 2014 Jade Adkins rated it it was amazing
As always, Bill Watterson delivers a collection of Calvin and Hobbes that lives up to its title of having Weirdos from Another Planet! As long time fan of Calvin and Hobbes, I instantly began reminiscing about my youth as I read through some of the funniest moments from my past that I still find entertaining as an Adult. One of my favorites being the babysitter tormenting Calvin into a half attempt of submission. With Hobbes ever amusing words of wisdom and Calvin's naive ways, I was left happy ...more
Dottie J.
Feb 06, 2016 Dottie J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watterson's illustrations show the hilarious nature of Calvin and Hobbes and Calvin's often-frustrated parents. Calvin's ability to speak an advanced language and see through the pettiness of elementary school requirements is enlightening and makes the books even more hilarious. Hobbes, his stuffed companion who is by nature a tiger, surprises the reader by doing "tiger" things, making Calvin not fully trust Hobbes's intentions. MUST READ AT ANY AGE!
Shane
Jun 02, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing
This was written before graphic novels were as thick on the ground, and compiled from daily and Sunday strips - and they're great as what they are. However, I can't help wishing there were a more full-length graphic novel with Calvin and Hobbes - the story-line of "Weirdos From Another Planet" is only a few pages long, and this collection could've been titled from another one of the extended strips.

Nonethelest, I find C&H as delightful as ever, although I wonder if prospective parents shoul
Jaimie
Dec 11, 2015 Jaimie rated it it was amazing
No matter how old I get, I don't think that I'll ever outgrow the antics of Calvin and Hobbes! It's maybe a bit weird to think that I still relate to a 6-year-old at age 27, but then again I still firmly believe in being a child at heart and enjoying (or despising, as the case may be) all the wonders of the world.
Mary Catelli
Nov 14, 2014 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comic-strips
Another Calvin and Hobbes collection

The title inspiring sequence happens fairly late -- Calvin and Hobbes take his wagon to Mars. Before there are the time Calvin uses the transmogrifier to turn himself into a tiger, many comics turning on the "welcome" Hobbes gives him when he gets home from school, getting carried off by a helium balloon, many attempts to persuade Dad that his ratings are so low he will lose reelection. Though after it, we have the time Mom foolishly says that he had better be
Freyavenlyo
Jul 05, 2015 Freyavenlyo rated it really liked it
I never really read Calvin and Hobbes as a child, can't even remember if you could get it where I live, but after finding a very accurate story (waiting for inspiration) I wanted to read more. There were many scenes where I just had to laugh out loud.
Wilde Sky
Jun 09, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
This book contains a series of cartoons featuring a young boy and his toy tiger / companion.

I found a lot of this book to be clever / engaging / extremely funny but a few of the sections were too mawkish (at least for me).
Samantha
Aug 01, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Reading the ones I have in publication order. I liked this better than the bigger collection I just finished reading as this one seems to have more story strips and the other one rarely had any story collections longer than a few strips.
Izzie
Jan 31, 2016 Izzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
What fun! Calvin and Hobbes comics are full of truths and remarkably current, considering this collection is from about 1988. Favorite quote: 'There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.'
B
Jan 13, 2014 B rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde
Ryan Lee
Sep 14, 2015 Ryan Lee rated it really liked it
This comic book is so funny, it has a variety of comics in the book. The main character is Calvin and Hobbes. I hope you will enjoy this book! :)
Annika
Jul 17, 2015 Annika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
I just love Calvin and Hobbes. Everybody should read it. No matter what kind of humour you like, its in there. The inking, drawing, and writing skill in the comics is also amazing.
Saretta
Altro libro che raccoglie le scrisce delle avventure di Calvin (bambino pestifero e ricco di immaginazione) e Hobbes (tigrotto di peluches molto vivo).
Il volume contiene anche delle vignette già lette in L'attacco dei mostri di neve mutanti, non dico che dovevano essere completamente originali, però le ripetizioni sono frequenti e danno l'idea di volumi fatti più per incassare che per trattare una tematica particolare (visto il titolo si potevano inserire solo quelle ambientate nello spazio etc.
Star Shining Forever
Aug 22, 2015 Star Shining Forever rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated, humor
Calvin & Hobbes - witty, insightful, ridiculous, thought-provoking observations on life. And they sure like to play space explorers!
Wyntrnoire
Mar 11, 2015 Wyntrnoire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Reading this and the others for the bazillionth time. I just love them:)
Destyne
Sep 19, 2015 Destyne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was weird and funny because Hobbes kept jumping on Calvin!
Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar
Mar 19, 2015 Diptarup Ghosh Dastidar rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully entertaining with its small and powerful anecdotes on life told in the humour of a child. All my friends love this.
Class of 2014: Book review 1 3 May 20, 2013 11:42PM
  • Beyond The Far Side
  • Your Momma Thinks Square Roots Are Vegetables: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling
  • Yukon Ho!
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat
  • There's Treasure Everywhere
  • It's a Magical World

“That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!” 849 likes