Start by marking “Calvin and Hobbes” as Want to Read:
Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)

4.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  106,480 Ratings  ·  608 Reviews
This is the first collection of the popular comic strip that features Calvin, a rambunctious 6-year-old boy, and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, who comes charmingly to life.
Published 1987 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Calvin and Hobbes, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jasper OMG OF COURSE YOU SHOULD
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Books of the 20th Century
116th out of 6,585 books — 44,491 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
335th out of 16,553 books — 77,963 voters

More lists with this book...

Prashant
Sep 28, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
This is what I got in my mail box to cheer me up while I used to study late in the winter.

Too stressed with your schedule and cold??

Have a Calvin break

[image error]

Shayantani Das
Jan 27, 2012 Shayantani Das rated it it was amazing
description

Who doesn’t love Calvin, the over imaginative, mischievous child, with his imaginary tiger friends Hobbes? His antics drive his parents to the brink of insanity and he loves pondering about his Captain Spiff fantasies during class. He is always either making excuses for not having the healthy (read: disgusting) food he has been served, or advocating children’s right to vote in crucial decision like bed time hours, or irritating his friends Susie.

Every page is funnier than the last one and the il
mina
Feb 21, 2010 mina rated it it was amazing
Love it love it love it!
One of the best comics ever!
Although it's just another story about a super hyperactive small boy and his imaginary friend, you love Calvin so much because of his hilarious "know-it-all" comments. He trashed through house, to the point that his parents hoped that they had dachsund instead.

(Heard from the doctor's examination room):
Calvin: "Hey, doc, why are you rubbing my arm with cotton? Are you going to put a leech there? ... Are you going to bleed me? You're not going
Dee
Aug 24, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-reads, favourites
Love, love, LOVE this cartoon! Especially love Calvin's dad and his explanations!! Oh, and Hobbes when he gets on the subject of girls. <3
Julia
May 21, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing
I think Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic of all time. I'm sure you've all heard of this, because Calvin and Hobbes has been around for a very long time. But for those who haven't read it, I say pick that comic book up right now! This book is comic strips about a six year old who hates school, homework, baths, his "evil" baby sitter, Rosalyn, and food his mother makes. Calvin's friend, Hobbes, is a stuffed tiger that comes to life when nobody is around except Calvin. His next door neighbor and ...more
Daniel
Sep 04, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Iskreno ne znam nikoga ko je uspeo na bolji i zabavniji nacin da prikaze psihu malog hiperaktivnog klinca bolje nego Vareson. Svaka cast.

Plus razasuto kroz celu knjigu ima i dosta interesantnih pitanja kao i konstatacija koje stvarno navode na razmisljanje.

Preporuka.
Ray Smith
Dec 28, 2012 Ray Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strips
Calvin and Hobbes became a favorite of mine back in the mid 80s. In black and white on the pages of the Indianapolis Star I followed the young boy - Calvin - an imaginative (understatement) 1st grader, and his often times alive, sometimes stuffed-tiger sidekick Hobbes, who very often was Calvin's conscience (yes, rarely listened to!).

Many of us can relate to the story of a young boy and his favorite stuffed animal going to far away worlds on other planets, to prehistoric earth, or just being a
Antonio
Jan 08, 2016 Antonio rated it it was amazing
"Childhood as it actually is" is the best definition of this book so far.
Biondy
Duh, ceritanya. Lucu dengan satire dan komentar sosial di beberapa bagian. Kasihan sih sebenarnya sama orang tuanya si Calvin ini. Pasti pusing punya anak hiperaktif yang punya segudang ulah kayak si Calvin ini :)).

Di sini dunia anak-anaknya tergambarkan sekali, ya. Batas antara realita dan imajinasi sangat tipis. Si Calvin ini juga sebenarnya sadar akan keduanya, tapi dia lebih cenderung untuk (memilih, atau mungkin juga secara alami) bermain di dalam dunia fantasinya.
Ruel
Aug 22, 2014 Ruel rated it it was amazing
It's been years since I've read any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics and when I stumbled across this first volume at the library, I couldn't help devouring it in one sitting. This book serves as an excellent reminder of why Calvin and Hobbes was so popular in its day and why it is so revered now: Bill Watterson created a brilliant and charming character in six-year-old Calvin. The little boy is hilarious and adorable, especially when his stuffed tiger Hobbes comes to life. Whether sledding in the ...more
Faith
Sep 18, 2008 Faith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to Faith by: My dad
Shelves: favorites
Oh wow. I think these books might be longest-loved on my favorites list. My dad read these a long long time ago and gave them to me to read, I might have been six.
I liked these books at first, but now I love them. I must have memorized a full book's worth of comic strips and was very disappointed when they stopped being in the newspaper comic strip section! They're funny, sweet, and evil. Calvin's morbid sense of humor and wide vocabulary and mature way of thinking mixed with his slight little-
Issa
Jan 23, 2016 Issa rated it it was amazing
My childhood favourite comic strip. Reading it nowadays brings you back to the feeling of endless summer days spent with your best friends... Real or imagined
Vanessa
Feb 11, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'm a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes, and the first edition of the collections was no different. If ever I need to feel uplifted, and have a little chuckle to myself, then I can just go back to the child tearaway that is Calvin, and the imaginary friend I always wished I'd had that is Hobbes. My favourite cartoon series of all time, and a delightful first collection.
rahul
Jul 09, 2015 rahul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

And, this is one of my favorites

orsodimondo
Nov 23, 2012 orsodimondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americana, disegno
SCUSATE IL RITARDO
CALVIN AND HOBBES è geniale.
Finora avevo letto poche strisce sui giornali americani e questo è il primo volume che mi godo: da qui la richiesta di scuse per il ritardo. Ma farò ammenda, ne leggerò presto altri.

Mi piace tutto: il disegno, il testo, i personaggi, le strisce di lunghezza normale e quelle che durano una pagina intera.
E' irriverente come devono essere i fumetti di valore.
E' divertente, anzi spassoso.
Rispetto ai mitici meravigliosi Peanuts, aggiunge il mondo degl
Sohini Sarker
Apr 30, 2016 Sohini Sarker rated it it was amazing
I am Calvin.
I have always been Calvin.
Summer ✿
May 11, 2013 Summer ✿ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
THIS IS THE CUTEST BOOK EVER.

I remember reading this book back when I was younger, and to this day, I stand by the belief that this book is utterly and undeniably ADORABLE. Not only it is cute, it's also hilarious, always managing to put a smile on my face.

I am not that into comic books, but this book exposed me to the world of comics, a genre I would not have ventured into if not for Calvin and Hobbes. I recommend this book to readers of all ages, as this book is in no way exclusive to one age
Kluxorious Kluxces
May 24, 2016 Kluxorious Kluxces rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
this is my childhood. how can I not love this
Staci
Dec 24, 2008 Staci rated it it was amazing
This book belongs to my son Marc. He left this on the stairs and needless to say I picked it up and started reading it. Couldn't stop!! I loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a teen. Marc has loved it since I can remember. No wonder....he is Calvin!!!! I laughed out loud so many times and that is because 20 years ago I read it and saw the world from Calvin's eyes. Now I'm reading it and sympathizing with Calvin's parents!!! Everyone needs a good dose of laughter. Read this, it won't disappoint!
Groundwood (MZ)
Oct 06, 2015 Groundwood (MZ) rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
a hilarious comic book. the relationship between calvin and hobbe's is inspiring. I just loved it.
sologdin
Nov 12, 2014 sologdin rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
paradigmatic trenchcoat mafia type has psychotic fantasies, wars against the cool kids, and engages in reckless recreations.
Joey Hines
Apr 22, 2016 Joey Hines rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes is so fun to read. Rarely do I feel so physically engaged by a book. It makes me laugh out loud, even reading it for the umpteenth time, and I want to lay on my bedroom floor with it, poring over page after page. This is the first collection of the strip, and seeing the character designs slightly change as Watterson gets on his feet makes the experience all the more endearing. Here we get to see how Calvin "met" Hobbes:

...what Calvin first thought of Susie:

...and the first long
Praveen S S
Dec 16, 2015 Praveen S S rated it it was amazing
I've heard that whether it be art or love we always try to find ourselves. We always try to relate ourselves to the stories we read. That may be why I loved reading Calvin & Hobbes so much. I kept finding bits and pieces of myself all along he way.

Calvin is a hyperactive kid who causes nothing but trouble. Calling him mischievous would be an understatement on so many levels. I guess that adds to his charm (the characters in the story would definitely disagree with me). His imagination is not
Erin W
Nov 14, 2011 Erin W rated it really liked it
I loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a child. There was a simple, sharp sense of humor--a kind of smart-silly--that spoke to my temperament. I will never forget the paroxysms of laughter that struck me at about ten years old, reading the strip where Calvin sneezes explosively into a hanky, then peeks at it and declares "Whew. No brains." (That one is not in this book unfortunately. But it will forever be my definitive Calvin & Hobbes moment.)

If life gets too boring for Calvin, he imagines hi
Sarah Schanze
Apr 26, 2011 Sarah Schanze rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've always been meaning to read some Calvin and Hobbes, since everyone in the comicking world raves about it. By happenstance I got hold of this particular edition of certain strips and finally got to reading. I liked it, but I didn't feel anything much more than I feel reading a regular newspaper strip now. I guess I prefer a linear story more than just four panel gag strips. Calvin jumped around from feeling like a genuine kid with his daydreams to being a bit too modern with his wisecracks. ...more
Michelle
Mar 02, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2016
I appreciated this 1,000,000 times more as an adult than I did as a kid. When I was a kid, Calvin would get on my nerves just like the hyperactive kid in school always did. Now I can laugh his antics off and sympathize with his parents. Watterson is clearly a genius at capturing a child's overactive imagination and skewed sense of reality. This is a masterpiece.
Valerie
The first collection. With an introduction by Garry Trudeau. I have to say I don't tend to to like introductions that start by badmouthing other authors' work. This isn't so bad--the introduction to the Doonesbury Chronicles is much worse, badmouthing classics like Peanuts and Pogo.

I'm not saying Watterson's work is not very good. Among the best, indeed. Just that one needn't belittle others to claim status for the best. Someone once commented (after Amadeus came out) that we tend to think that
Logan
May 17, 2013 Logan rated it really liked it
Logan carries around his best stuffed friend, Cuddles, who is a white tiger, so he and Calvin have something in common. Some of the stuff went over Logan's head and I had to explain it, but overall, lots of laughs. Logan's never been to school, so there was some unfamiliar territory there, but he watches Johnny Test, which has clued him in to all the school talk and the issues with school, so he gets why Calvin hates school. He knows what it means to be called to the principal, to be scolded for ...more
Kristin Curtis
Oct 22, 2012 Kristin Curtis rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-356-1-12
Calvin and Hobbes is a comic book about an eccentric and sometimes morbid 6-year-old name Calvin. Calvin catches a tiger in his tiger trap and names him Hobbes. The two quickly become best friends. Calvin sees Hobbes as a real tiger while everyone else sees a stuffed animal that Calvin talks to and takes with him everywhere. They get into mischief and are constantly harassing Calvin's parents and teachers and babysitter. Calvin's imagination takes them on many grand adventures together.

I love Ca
Nadia Fadhillah
Mar 29, 2016 Nadia Fadhillah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Aku harusnya ngerjain tesis daripada kejebak Calvin...
Oh God.

Tapi apa itu deadline tesis? Ini negara bebas, aku bebas mau ngerjain tesis kapan aja, mau lulus kapan pun terserah aku, bebas. Masa di negara bebas ini aku masih ditindas oleh deadline tesis? Hoh, totalitarian!
Indonesians Who L...: Calvin and Hobbes 6 40 Apr 07, 2015 07:08PM
this is the funniest comic i ever read 24 109 Jan 05, 2015 10:23PM
High Art? 5 68 Feb 27, 2014 10:28PM
just put funny random stuff 4 42 Jun 12, 2012 12:33PM
  • FoxTrot: The Works
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • 'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • It's a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

“People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.” 110 likes
“Hey Dad, will you buy me a flame thrower?

Of course not. Don't be silly.

Even if I didn't use it in the house?”
98 likes