Start by marking “Calvin and Hobbes” as Want to Read:
Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes #1)

4.61  ·  Rating Details ·  109,915 Ratings  ·  629 Reviews
This is the first collection of the popular comic strip that features Calvin, a rambunctious 6-year-old boy, and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes, who comes charmingly to life.
Published 1987 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Calvin and Hobbes, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Best Books of the 20th Century
117th out of 6,750 books — 45,147 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling1984 by George OrwellPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Everyone Should Read At Least Once
334th out of 17,107 books — 79,941 voters

More lists with this book...

Sep 28, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
This is what I got in my mail box to cheer me up while I used to study late in the winter.

Too stressed with your schedule and cold??

Have a Calvin break

[image error]

Archit Ojha
Oct 22, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Strip after strip after strip.

Some books just win you over.

I too sleep with the baseball bat beside my bed to kill the monster lurking down it.

I wonder I still may not be old enough to not start doing this poll manipulation thing with my dad either.

I do not want my wife to have such a kid in the house. I want to be that kid rather.
We might consider a tiger instead.

With characters sketched up as well as these, you will be going out of your way not to give this one a 5 star.

Wonderful and addicti
Shayantani Das
Jan 27, 2012 Shayantani Das rated it it was amazing

Who doesn’t love Calvin, the over imaginative, mischievous child, with his imaginary tiger friends Hobbes? His antics drive his parents to the brink of insanity and he loves pondering about his Captain Spiff fantasies during class. He is always either making excuses for not having the healthy (read: disgusting) food he has been served, or advocating children’s right to vote in crucial decision like bed time hours, or irritating his friends Susie.

Every page is funnier than the last one and the il

I don't know if I lived in a bomb shelter as a kid or was subject to a weird mind-altering device, but I don't remember ever reading Calvin and Hobbes. Like ever. And it's fantastic. The humor is totally smart and clever, and their friendship charming. It's funny how the parents really are the bad guys from Calvin's perspective, and we're not sure if Hobbes is real or imaginary. But I suppose if he's real to Calvin then he is real, isn't he?

Recommended for re-instilling optimism after the world
Jul 08, 2016 Orient rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the comics fans
Calvin is a fabulous kid with fantastic imagination and he has a stunning feature to drive mad everyone around.

Feb 21, 2010 mina rated it it was amazing
Love it love it love it!
One of the best comics ever!
Although it's just another story about a super hyperactive small boy and his imaginary friend, you love Calvin so much because of his hilarious "know-it-all" comments. He trashed through house, to the point that his parents hoped that they had dachsund instead.

(Heard from the doctor's examination room):
Calvin: "Hey, doc, why are you rubbing my arm with cotton? Are you going to put a leech there? ... Are you going to bleed me? You're not going
Aug 24, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-reads, favourites
Love, love, LOVE this cartoon! Especially love Calvin's dad and his explanations!! Oh, and Hobbes when he gets on the subject of girls. <3
May 21, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing
I think Calvin and Hobbes is the best comic of all time. I'm sure you've all heard of this, because Calvin and Hobbes has been around for a very long time. But for those who haven't read it, I say pick that comic book up right now! This book is comic strips about a six year old who hates school, homework, baths, his "evil" baby sitter, Rosalyn, and food his mother makes. Calvin's friend, Hobbes, is a stuffed tiger that comes to life when nobody is around except Calvin. His next door neighbor and ...more
Sep 04, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Iskreno ne znam nikoga ko je uspeo na bolji i zabavniji nacin da prikaze psihu malog hiperaktivnog klinca bolje nego Vareson. Svaka cast.

Plus razasuto kroz celu knjigu ima i dosta interesantnih pitanja kao i konstatacija koje stvarno navode na razmisljanje.

Ray Smith
Dec 28, 2012 Ray Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strips
Calvin and Hobbes became a favorite of mine back in the mid 80s. In black and white on the pages of the Indianapolis Star I followed the young boy - Calvin - an imaginative (understatement) 1st grader, and his often times alive, sometimes stuffed-tiger sidekick Hobbes, who very often was Calvin's conscience (yes, rarely listened to!).

Many of us can relate to the story of a young boy and his favorite stuffed animal going to far away worlds on other planets, to prehistoric earth, or just being a
Jul 09, 2015 rahul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

And, this is one of my favorites

Jan 08, 2016 Antonio rated it it was amazing
"Childhood as it actually is" is the best definition of this book so far.
Duh, ceritanya. Lucu dengan satire dan komentar sosial di beberapa bagian. Kasihan sih sebenarnya sama orang tuanya si Calvin ini. Pasti pusing punya anak hiperaktif yang punya segudang ulah kayak si Calvin ini :)).

Di sini dunia anak-anaknya tergambarkan sekali, ya. Batas antara realita dan imajinasi sangat tipis. Si Calvin ini juga sebenarnya sadar akan keduanya, tapi dia lebih cenderung untuk (memilih, atau mungkin juga secara alami) bermain di dalam dunia fantasinya.
Aug 22, 2014 Ruel rated it it was amazing
It's been years since I've read any of the Calvin and Hobbes comics and when I stumbled across this first volume at the library, I couldn't help devouring it in one sitting. This book serves as an excellent reminder of why Calvin and Hobbes was so popular in its day and why it is so revered now: Bill Watterson created a brilliant and charming character in six-year-old Calvin. The little boy is hilarious and adorable, especially when his stuffed tiger Hobbes comes to life. Whether sledding in the ...more
Sep 18, 2008 Faith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humour
Recommended to Faith by: My dad
Shelves: favorites
Oh wow. I think these books might be longest-loved on my favorites list. My dad read these a long long time ago and gave them to me to read, I might have been six.
I liked these books at first, but now I love them. I must have memorized a full book's worth of comic strips and was very disappointed when they stopped being in the newspaper comic strip section! They're funny, sweet, and evil. Calvin's morbid sense of humor and wide vocabulary and mature way of thinking mixed with his slight little-
Jan 23, 2016 Issa rated it it was amazing
My childhood favourite comic strip. Reading it nowadays brings you back to the feeling of endless summer days spent with your best friends... Real or imagined
Feb 11, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'm a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes, and the first edition of the collections was no different. If ever I need to feel uplifted, and have a little chuckle to myself, then I can just go back to the child tearaway that is Calvin, and the imaginary friend I always wished I'd had that is Hobbes. My favourite cartoon series of all time, and a delightful first collection.
Nathan D
Sep 12, 2016 Nathan D rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes are tow of the most likeable and characters you will fine in this fun advancer you will fined comady and lots of fun you rely need to read this book.
Joey Hines
Apr 22, 2016 Joey Hines rated it it was amazing
Calvin and Hobbes is so fun to read. Rarely do I feel so physically engaged by a book. It makes me laugh out loud, even reading it for the umpteenth time, and I want to lay on my bedroom floor with it, poring over page after page. This is the first collection of the strip, and seeing the character designs slightly change as Watterson gets on his feet makes the experience all the more endearing. Here we get to see how Calvin "met" Hobbes:

...what Calvin first thought of Susie:

...and the first long
Finora avevo letto poche strisce sui giornali americani e questo è il primo volume che mi godo: da qui la richiesta di scuse per il ritardo. Ma farò ammenda, ne leggerò presto altri.

Mi piace tutto: il disegno, il testo, i personaggi, le strisce di lunghezza normale e quelle che durano una pagina intera.
E' irriverente come devono essere i fumetti di valore.
E' divertente, anzi spassoso.
Rispetto ai mitici meravigliosi Peanuts, aggiunge il mondo degl
Sohini Sarker
Apr 30, 2016 Sohini Sarker rated it it was amazing
I am Calvin.
I have always been Calvin.
May 11, 2013 Summer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves

I remember reading this book back when I was younger, and to this day, I stand by the belief that this book is utterly and undeniably ADORABLE. Not only it is cute, it's also hilarious, always managing to put a smile on my face.

I am not that into comic books, but this book exposed me to the world of comics, a genre I would not have ventured into if not for Calvin and Hobbes. I recommend this book to readers of all ages, as this book is in no way exclusive to one age
Kluxorious Kluxces
May 24, 2016 Kluxorious Kluxces rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
this is my childhood. how can I not love this
Dec 24, 2008 Staci rated it it was amazing
This book belongs to my son Marc. He left this on the stairs and needless to say I picked it up and started reading it. Couldn't stop!! I loved Calvin and Hobbes when I was a teen. Marc has loved it since I can remember. No wonder....he is Calvin!!!! I laughed out loud so many times and that is because 20 years ago I read it and saw the world from Calvin's eyes. Now I'm reading it and sympathizing with Calvin's parents!!! Everyone needs a good dose of laughter. Read this, it won't disappoint!
Groundwood (MZ)
Oct 06, 2015 Groundwood (MZ) rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
a hilarious comic book. the relationship between calvin and hobbe's is inspiring. I just loved it.
Andrew Wolgemuth
Aug 31, 2016 Andrew Wolgemuth rated it it was amazing
I loved Calvin and Hobbes as a kid, and I wondered if this book would work as a read-aloud with my daughters (6 and 8). It absolutely did ... with a little help.

While I'd remembered that some Calvin lines are over-the-top rude ("Drop dead, Susie!"), I'd forgotten that some are a bit off-color. When I recognized strips of that ilk, I skipped them.

And the comedy of some of the strips is a little too abstract or heady for my kids. But the majority of the strips drew a smile; many resulted in heart
Nov 12, 2014 sologdin rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
paradigmatic trenchcoat mafia type has psychotic fantasies, wars against the cool kids, and engages in reckless recreations.
Alastair Hudson
Aug 29, 2016 Alastair Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was the first Calvin & Hobbes collection of strips published between 1985 and 1986. There are a few redraws to work in a three frame high format and everything is in the original black and white.

I first read this pretty soon after it came out and visiting it again it's lost none of it's charm or wonder. Waterson's two main characters are brilliant. You want to be Calvin, as your best mate you want to play too and once you have kids of your own you wouldn't mind (too much) if they did al
Aug 15, 2016 Pooja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
If you want to appreciate the peace in your life better than you do, want to realize and feel proud on its beauty, serenity and tranquality then you have to read Calvin and Hobbes.

Calvin is a 6-years old super intelligent, humorous and lazy kid, a kid whom you never wish you have in your life. Because he uses his intelligency in making people's life miserable! Not in an evil way, but a way not less than evil!

Hobbes is his stuffed tiger, calm, modest, sarcastic and funny who plays with Calvin and
Praveen S S
Dec 16, 2015 Praveen S S rated it it was amazing
I've heard that whether it be art or love we always try to find ourselves. We always try to relate ourselves to the stories we read. That may be why I loved reading Calvin & Hobbes so much. I kept finding bits and pieces of myself all along he way.

Calvin is a hyperactive kid who causes nothing but trouble. Calling him mischievous would be an understatement on so many levels. I guess that adds to his charm (the characters in the story would definitely disagree with me). His imagination is not
Indonesians Who L...: Calvin and Hobbes 6 43 Apr 07, 2015 07:08PM
this is the funniest comic i ever read 24 109 Jan 05, 2015 10:23PM
High Art? 5 68 Feb 27, 2014 10:28PM
just put funny random stuff 4 42 Jun 12, 2012 12:33PM
  • The Far Side Gallery 2
  • Bloom County: "Loose Tails"
  • FoxTrot: The Works
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • The Days Are Just Packed: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • There's Treasure Everywhere: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • It's a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection

“People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.” 115 likes
“Hey Dad, will you buy me a flame thrower?

Of course not. Don't be silly.

Even if I didn't use it in the house?”