Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection (Calvin and Hobbes #7)

4.7 of 5 stars 4.70  ·  rating details  ·  9,165 ratings  ·  156 reviews
Published January 1st 1992 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons

Irena
Last few days I've spent on getting to know Calvin and Hobbes, reading all I could put my hands or lay my eyes on :)
This is definitely my favourite issue, specifically the snow goons part and the Duplicator fun :) I've read this over a Thursday morning coffee and I just felt sorry afterwards that I rushed to read it all asap.

My personal highlight was the: "Hobbes, do you think our morality is defined by our actions, or by what's in our hearts?
I think our actions SHOW what's in our hearts."
Calvi...more
PurplyCookie
Calvin is an academic underachiever, rebel, performance artist, disgruntled philosopher, and all-around bringer of chaos--although his playmate/rival Susie refers to him as "the incurable weirdness poster child." Whether discovering a new dinosaur species (the "Calvinosaurus") or evading the dreaded monster under the bed, Calvin is hilarious.

"Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons" refers to one of these story lines in which Calvin creates a mutant snow man which in turn create...more
Exina
This book is my favorite in the series. The title is very promising, and you get a lot of Calvin’s snowmen indeed.

Hobbes is amazing: he is skeptical, sarcastic, and infinitely wise. Furthermore, he takes advantage of his feral self against Calvin a lot...

Calvin’s duplicator is a fantastic invention. Completing it with an Ethicator makes it more effective, creating the good side of Calvin. It is a truly laugh-out-loud moment when Calvin and Hobbes get rid of the good Calvin, who becomes really...more
Carol
Pros:
Funny, Hilarious, Clever, Beloved, Timeless

Cons:
none

Best Uses:
Antidote to the gloomies, Read aloud, Pick me up, Sharing, Read at the table

Bottom Line:
Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

My son is 8 years old. He loves Calvin and Hobbes. It has humor for him, and for us - his parents. It also gives us an opportunity to teach him advanced words when desired.

I loved Calvin and Hobbes when it first came out. Now I get to love it all over again through the eyes of my son as we all read it tog...more
Saretta
Raccolta di strisce e di tavole domenicali, prima di leggerlo pensavo fossero tutte correlate all'inverno (un po' come quelle a tema di Charlie Brown), invece sono un misto di tutte le stagioni e di tutti i temi, mostri di neve, biciclette killer, viaggi nella preistoria e nel futuro etc...
Calvin è un bambino dotato di una fantasia sfrenata mentre Hobbes la sua tigre di peluche; sono vignette comiche, riflessive, quasi filosofiche, da leggere insomma.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Apr 20, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shelves: humor
I love, love>, LOVE every Calvin and Hobbes book, and especially this one, with all the creative snowman stuff. Who needs it to be Halloween to get creative with scary yard art? Not Calvin!
Great title, by the way. Not just killer<?i> snowmen. Oh, excuse me - snow GOONS. Not just deranged killer snow goons. Oh, no, these are deranged MUTANT killer MONSTER snow goons. Let's get that straight, 'kay?
Phil Huang
The best calvin and hobbes in my opinion.....

the snowman house of horrors is probably my favorite comic of all time
Alex
This book is interesting because they try to make a certain snowman come alive by saying certain magical words. It comes alive but turns evil. It makes its body stronger by putting another head and 2 more arms on. Then the snowman starts building its army in front of Calvins house. In the middle of the night when calvin thinks they are sleeping, he grabs the hose and starts spraying them all. Since its cold outside it freezes them. In the morning when his dad comes out he sees a bunch of snowman...more
Kathleen
Just as wonderful as ever. Why did I ever stop reading Calvin and Hobbes? That was a hideously poor life choice.
xXRossiya AruXx
I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes comics and funny books.
Aaron
I've long considered Calvin & Hobbes to be one of the the three best comic strips ever - the other two in my opinion are Dilbert and The Far Side. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Calvin & Hobbes is even the best of those three. As an illustrator and a humorist, Bill Watterson is superb. He is able to simultaneously capture both the innocence and hell-raising tendencies of children, and he puts his own unique stamp on everything.

There are so many classic Calvin & Hobbes sc...more
Steven Tiberius
Feb 23, 2007 Steven Tiberius rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spaceman Spiff
Throughout my grammar school months of August - nearing the end of another freedom-filled summer away from school - reality would set in and I'd be bombarded with the hideous notion that returning to school was just up ahead on the horizon. Feeling the anxiety, the panic setting in - meeting new people, making new friends, suffering new teachers, worrying if the level of knowledge required to pass the subsequent grade would increase past the amount I was prepared to generate, coming in last for...more
Ross Vincent
Back in the early 1990s, I introduced my mom to the humor in that is Calvin and Hobbes. (I have been reading the comics strips since my cousin picked up the first collection in the 80's)

Every morning, I would come downstairs, and there on the kitchen table, would be that days comics page. I could tell if it was a good Calvin and Hobbes strip by my moms reaction.

Her favorite strips were the ones where Calvin was creating snow people. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that she was raised...more
Valerie
Bill Watterson is my age-mate. This wouldn't necessarily create an empathic link. The old saying 'What you are is where you were when...' includes things like geographical locations, travel history, etc.

It's not surprising either that I enjoy and am impressed by a lot of Watterson's humor nor that I find some of it annoying and offensive.

I'd set this aside because there were some of my favorite strips in this volume. I haven't yet hit one of them--I'll have to see which ones they are. I have to...more
Steve
Calvin and Hobbes is my favourite comic ever produced. I would normally ever say this, but there's no way anything will ever top this series. Every collection of these strips is a treasure. Reserving five stars for the complete collection.
Claudiu
It's really hard not to like a comic book about these two scalawags. This was my very first time reading anything 'Calvin & Hobbes' and it was mainly due because I kept on seeing these comics in the bookshop I visit.
I must say I do not regret this purchase.

This is one read that goes at a nice pace, without much plot as there is a theme to the book. And in this, the theme is winter and all its shenanigans, coupled with some school stuff.
Calvin, and Hobbes for that matter, are two extremely...more
Brett Hollinger
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde...more
Annah
My favorite part of this one is the introduction to Tracer Bullet. A little less philosophy, a little more imagination than the others.
Chris
A charming little book which is very entertaining, excellently written and drawn. This is a great place to start if you're interested in Calvin and Hobbes
Kellie
I absolutely love Calvin's "Deranged" snowmen and now they are out to get him! Some of my all time favorite Calvin and Hobbs strips with the always Deranged Calvin getting beaten up by his stuffed tiger while Susie watches on in dismay (debating her own grip on sanity). The jewel of the book comes near the end when Calvin debates Math as a religion and reveals he is a Math Atheist [aren't we all except a few of those weird people who like that sort of thing ;)]. For a snippet of what I mean visi...more
Laurie
I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes. As a kid I collected these books and now my 3 boys are thrilled to find out I have 12 of them! I was inspired to start reading one to them (this one) this last week and they couldn't get enough. The older two are more than capable of reading this themselves, but we are having a blast reading them together, and I didn't want to be left out of rediscovering them for myself! We'll now go back to the beginning and read from the start.
Katrina Anderson
While not my favorite Calvin and Hobbes collection, this book does include classic serials in the strips history: Calvin’s fight against the deranged mutant killer monster snow goons and Calvin cloning himself. Most of these are featured in the back of the book. Thus, the beginning was rather slow for me – if that can be believed in a comic collection. However, it was still a worthwhile read. Just the comic strip featuring Calvin comparing math to theology makes it worthwhile.
Nicole Ludovici
What's not to love about Calvin & Hobbes??
Jo
absolutely he funniest laugh out loud hysterically funny book ever. The title is excellent. The whole snow goon storyline is awesome and inspiring. Undoubtedly my favorite cartoon story ever.
Brad Watson
Great! Hilarious!
Mitchell Hahn-Branson
One of the very best Calvin and Hobbes books, I think. Among many great story lines, this volume includes the duplicate of Calvin that embodies only his good qualities, the incredibly funny (and actually kind of scary) title story, and a Tracer Bullet tale that includes some of Watterson's very best shadowy artwork. After all these years, Calvin and Hobbes really is one of the few timelessly awesome comic strips, and this book is perfectly representative of all its charms.
Ali Mac Book-Pro
Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
They've been planning attack for many moons!
Beware! Beware! Beware, beware, beware!
Calvin and Hobbes to the rescue
To hide and panic and defeat them, too!
Beware! Beware! Beware, beware, beware!
How do they defeat the monsters of snow?
The answer is unknown--oh no!
Beware! Beware! Beware, beware, beware!
The solution is just under their nose
Spray them with the hose!

Teresa
Calvin & Hobbes classic childhood read, you laugh then at the innocent jokes but when you get older and look back on it, you reminiscence and laugh at childhood be it your own or just overall.

The relationship between Calvin and Hobbes is wonderful, the best bud until the end thing that we all need and deserve, reading the comics again it makes me smile..it's adorable.

I don't know what my childhood would have been without it.
Elizabeth
This is just a representative. I love all of the Calvin and Hobbes strips/books except that weird book he did where he republished all his Sunday cartoons with a more original look or whatever that was. I mean, I love C and H, but that guy really has figured out the art of getting people to pay a whole bunch of times for the same strip! But except for that one, Calvin and Hobbes is universally awesome.
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • Beyond The Far Side
  • Billy & Boingers Bootleg (Bloom County Book)
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of...more
More about Bill Watterson...
Calvin and Hobbes The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World

“Calvin: I'm a genius. I can't believe how smart I am.
...I've got more brains than I know what to do with.
Hobbes: So I've noticed.”
26 likes
“Dad: Honey, have you seen my glasses? I can"t find them.
Mom: I haven't seen them.
Calvin: (with glasses, to Dad) Calvin, go do something you hate! Being miserable builds character!”
23 likes