The Sleep Book

The Sleep Book

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  4,435 ratings  ·  230 reviews
"Deliberately calculated to make its readers yawn. No one could resist those zillions of astonishing sleepyheads."--The New York Times....more
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 64 pages
Published July 24th 2012 by New York: Random House (first published August 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleep Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleep Book

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
286th out of 3,046 books — 4,456 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Jungle Book by Rudyard KiplingOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Sleep Book by Dr. Seuss
Books With 'Book' In The Title
5th out of 375 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelly
Warning: This book should be read in bed! It's such a cute book, even though there's not really a point except to point out all the creatures sleeping, and implying the reader should be sleeping too! What I love about it is it's classic Dr. Seuss, and it's great! How in the world did this man not only draw these fabulous creatures, but the funny names and the story lines?

Anyone who thinks he is not the best thing since sliced dough
Needs to be run over by the Hoop-Soup-Snoop Group,
So I'm bother...more
Mariel
I wish I was in this book.
Anna  Matsuyama
It's not good book to read at bedtime. Every time there was word "sleep" or made allusion of going to sleep, I was interrupted with: "I'm not going to sleep!" Kaito was extremely annoyed with this book and I was annoyed with tongue twisters.
Erin R
This is one of my all-time favorite picture books! I remember just studying the whimsical pictures for hours as a child, imagining myself living in the world Dr. Seuss created. This “sleep book” tells invites the reader (presumably a small child being read to in bed) to learn about how all of the mystical creatures in the “County of Keck” are preparing for their slumber. Dr. Seuss uses a very decodable style, with plenty of rhyming made-up phrases to accompany the many illustrations of yawning a...more
Risa
This one is adorable! I wonder if it would make my little one excited to go to sleep by the end of it? Or would he just drift off while I’m only in the middle of this happy tale of the world saying good night and falling asleep? I find all the strange little creatures of Seuss' imagination so cuddly and imaginative! Not to mention that the illustration helps us understand his creatures better.

My husband read this book ahead of me and he was in stitches. He’d never read anything like this before...more
Amar Pai
Look I didn't like Dr. Seuss that much when I was a kid, and I don't like him that much as an adult, and I don't like reading this aloud to my 4-year old cos, like every Dr. Seuss book, it goes ON AND ON AND ON. I like the sound of Seuss's rhymes, he has a great sense of rhythm and cadence and all that, but jeez why do all his stories have to go on for so long? I don't think I've ever read a Dr. Seuss book that I didn't want to end 20 pages before it actually ended.

Maybe there will be some inter...more
Skylar Burris
If I have to read this book one more time, my head is going to explode. I give it five stars because my daughter dearly, dearly loves it.

You know what I like about Dr. Seuss? Sometimes it's not about "teaching" anything—it's just about enjoying a good, toe-tapping rhyme, and my child can't get enough of him. I don't mind when stories have a message, but sometimes the joy of the story is sacrificed for the sake of the message, and that's no way to learn love of reading. This is a largely meaningl...more
Rob Brock
This classic by Dr. Seuss is one of our family's all-time favorites. It's a long book, so don't pull this off the shelf if you want a quick story before bed for your kids. But if you want a story that will get your kids to sleep 9 times out of 10, this book is your best friend.

"The Sleep Book" has become so much a part of our family's heritage, we'll quote whole sections of the book to each other on road trips, just for fun.

One of our favorites:
"Counting up sleepers? / Just how do we do it? / Re...more
Sharon
While this book may be read at any time of day, the book concludes by advising the reader to only read this book at night. Yet another classic by Dr. Seuss that reinforces the beloved tongue-twisters, repetitive words and made up phrases! I read this book to bed the other night and am not ashamed to admit. Dr. Seuss is simply the best.
Debra
Dr. Seuss is always perfect and so is this book of sleepy time poems. Yes the book can be read as one continuos story but it is also a collection of stand alone poems. Dr. Seuss in his fanciful way always ,also, makes the pictures pleasing to children. This is a very good early reader book with new easy vocabulary introduced through out. Children could take turns learning to read the verses( poems ) separately and then reading them to the class.

A Jedd is in bed,
And the bed of the Jedd
Is the soft...more
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
When I was a nanny I would sit close to the crib and read this in a low voice, then getting more soft until I was whispering, he never made it to the end of the story.
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Absolutely clever and cute.

I really want to read this to my kids before they go to sleep.
*sigh*
Julie
I've read this book at least 20 times, and I have never read it without crying at the end.
Marts  (Thinker)
... an enjoyable childhood read, typical of all the Dr. Seuss books I've read...
JJ
Sep 24, 2007 JJ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dr. Suess fans
A good book. I always liked the sleeping machine.
Laurie
Dana Salman
Dr.Seuss writes poetry as though he'd done nothing else in his entire life. I never get tired of reading his rhymes! No poet in the world can do as well as he does! The words he makes up himself are unheard of, original, fun, and roll off the tongue in a rhythmic way. This book, if possible, was even better than "Oh the Places You'll Go!" guaranteed to put readers into a delicious sleep. When I first saw it at my 1-and-a-half-year-old cousin's house, I'd assumed it was just another beginner's bo...more
Asho
This is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. I have clear memories of my grandmother reading this to me before bed when I would spend the night at her house as a child. Eventually it must have made its way back to my house, because my mom recently found it there and gave it to me to read to my son. I hope that he'll come to love it as much as I did (and still do).
The pictures, in true Dr. Seuss fashion, are mesmerizing. They strike a balance between cute/cuddly and haunting/eerie. As I read this to my b...more
Shelby Fitzpatrick
The Sleep Book written by Dr. Seuss can be purchased as an e-book that reads along with the child. The title speaks for itself, in that the book is about all of Seuss' creatures going to bed and falling asleep. Throughout the story, Seuss uses his bizarre characters to introduce the ideas of sleep-walking and sleep-talking. Some characters in the story even do strange things to wake themselves up in the morning! Overall, I felt the interactive experience with the book could be very beneficial to...more
Nick
My 6-month old daughter is having trouble sleeping (okay, she doesn't sleep at all) and my wife and I, being the helpless first-time parents that we are, decided, as a slight nod to our whimsical sense of humor, to get her Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book for Christmas. Anyone who reads my reviews knows I am a lover of all things Seuss, and I had never read the Sleep Book prior to its arrival. Not so much a beginner book as a traditional rhymer in the vein of Oh The Places You'll Go, the Sleep Book is ent...more
Dolly
Mar 23, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Longer than I expected - I thought this would be more of a simple, early reader, like The Foot Book. Instead, it's a much longer, rhyming tale that will certainly bring on the yawns. I was falling asleep in the middle of reading it and had to be nudged awake more that once to finish. Still, it's an entertaining sing-song tale that is perfect to read at bedtime. We enjoyed reading it together.
Silvia Hajas
A recent introduction to Dr Seuss' delightfully wacky, fun and rhyming stories. My 5yo daughter giggles her way through Herk-Heimer Falls where the great river rushes in great gargling gushes and the Castle of Krupp where the drawbridge is up and the drawbridge draw-er says with a yawn, the drawbridge is drawn until the milkman delivers at dawn, whilst the Hinkle-Horn Honking Club went to bed and every horn is hung on a hook in its own private Hinkly-Horn Nook. Needless to say she laughs a lot a...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Parents, if you don't like reading Seuss books to your kids, *please* don't. Read books you love, so kids will love books. They can enjoy Seuss on their own when they're reading to themselves.

I admit, I'm feeling too sleepy right now to say anything else in way of a review here....
Sara
One of my all-time favorite Dr. Seuss books about a yawn that spreads across the world. Magical depictions, lovely story, and even know, as a grown-up, it will help me fall asleep, or at least prove the contagion of yawns. Brilliant, highly recommend!
Mark Baker
It's bed time all over the world, and we get to meet fun creatures straight from Seuss's imagination.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Tiffiny
I had never heard of this book, but then last week, on Monday, I discovered it. On Tuesday, I saw it at my library's silent auction and I had the highest bid! I think it is a cute book and I like how everything is going to sleep.
Darrell
Marvelous as always, Seuss' work is best enjoyed while reading aloud. Naturally, you'll be ready for sleep after reading this with all of its word trickery. This one was produced during a very creative period for Seuss. Enjoy!
Ian
I yawn whenever I come into contact with the word "yawn," so this was physically difficult for me to read.

The content is fun, but drags on for quite some time, and the meter is waaaaaay too lively to lull the reader to sleep.
Carole
Another of Dr. Seuss's wonderfully illustrated and creatively written books. This one is all about sleep, in different places, by different imaginary beings, in lots of creative sleep positions.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I love the zany machines, buildings and animals in this book. Like most of the yellow-backed Seuss the rhyme and rhythm is spot on. No moralising this time - just a fun bed-time story.

The only problem I have is the boppy beat and general craziness is all a bit exciting for X-man before sleep. He prefers a gentle story (maybe a bit of Paddington or Winnie-the-Pooh) followed by a nightly ritual of reciting Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes. Maybe when he's a bit older this might be more usefu...more
Seuss Lovers: Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 06:34PM
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • Hippos Go Berserk!
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Real Easter Eggs
  • That's Not My Dragon... (Usborne Touchy-Feely Books)
  • No Matter What
  • It's Time to Sleep, My Love
  • Trucks Board Book
  • I Love You As Much...
  • Oliver
  • The Cafeteria Lady from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #6)
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax