Start by marking “The Sleep Book” as Want to Read:
The Sleep Book

The Sleep Book

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  6,289 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
"Deliberately calculated to make its readers yawn. No one could resist those zillions of astonishing sleepyheads."--The New York Times. ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, First Printing, 58 pages
Published July 24th 2012 by New York: Random House (first published August 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleep Book, please sign up.

Gabriel i read great i like to read allot
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
276th out of 3,707 books — 5,284 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria RilkeBook of a Thousand Days by Shannon HaleThe Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Books With 'Book' In The Title
9th out of 409 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 18, 2011 Shelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Warning: This book should be read in bed! It's such a cute book, even though there's not really a point except to point out all the creatures sleeping, and implying the reader should be sleeping too! What I love about it is it's classic Dr. Seuss, and it's great! How in the world did this man not only draw these fabulous creatures, but the funny names and the story lines?

Anyone who thinks he is not the best thing since sliced dough
Needs to be run over by the Hoop-Soup-Snoop Group,
So I'm bother
Feb 17, 2013 Mariel rated it it was amazing
I wish I was in this book.
Anna Kļaviņa
It's not good book to read at bedtime. Every time there was word "sleep" or made allusion of going to sleep, I was interrupted with: "I'm not going to sleep!" Kaito was extremely annoyed with this book and I was annoyed with tongue twisters.
Scott Tappa
Mar 18, 2015 Scott Tappa rated it it was amazing
My favorite Seuss book, by far.
Oct 29, 2011 Risa rated it it was amazing
This one is adorable! I wonder if it would make my little one excited to go to sleep by the end of it? Or would he just drift off while I’m only in the middle of this happy tale of the world saying good night and falling asleep? I find all the strange little creatures of Seuss' imagination so cuddly and imaginative! Not to mention that the illustration helps us understand his creatures better.

My husband read this book ahead of me and he was in stitches. He’d never read anything like this before
Amar Pai
Dec 18, 2013 Amar Pai rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Look I didn't like Dr. Seuss that much when I was a kid, and I don't like him that much as an adult, and I don't like reading this aloud to my 4-year old cos, like every Dr. Seuss book, it goes ON AND ON AND ON. I like the sound of Seuss's rhymes, he has a great sense of rhythm and cadence and all that, but jeez why do all his stories have to go on for so long? I don't think I've ever read a Dr. Seuss book that I didn't want to end 20 pages before it actually ended.

Maybe there will be some inter
Jan 12, 2016 Neda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but I don't know how many times I yawned when reading this book?! :-O
Whatever it be, it's a good sleep book.. ;)
Aug 02, 2016 Aneesa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Still the best Dr. Seuss book ever. Amazing sentences.
Now that my internet is back on and had a day to ponder about this book I am actually glad that I sticked to my guns and didn't change the rating for this book. I was conflicted whether to give it 4 or 5 but this is definitely 4 star material. For me when it comes to this book I didn't get that enthusiastic feeling when reading Dr. Seuss books and I believe its because I didn't actually care about the characters or the dialogue.

This bug called the Van Vleck starts to yawn and then it becomes con
Erin R
Mar 28, 2014 Erin R rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of my all-time favorite picture books! I remember just studying the whimsical pictures for hours as a child, imagining myself living in the world Dr. Seuss created. This “sleep book” tells invites the reader (presumably a small child being read to in bed) to learn about how all of the mystical creatures in the “County of Keck” are preparing for their slumber. Dr. Seuss uses a very decodable style, with plenty of rhyming made-up phrases to accompany the many illustrations of yawning a ...more
Skylar Burris
Dec 29, 2007 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
If I have to read this book one more time, my head is going to explode. I give it five stars because my daughter dearly, dearly loves it.

You know what I like about Dr. Seuss? Sometimes it's not about "teaching" anything—it's just about enjoying a good, toe-tapping rhyme, and my child can't get enough of him. I don't mind when stories have a message, but sometimes the joy of the story is sacrificed for the sake of the message, and that's no way to learn love of reading. This is a largely meaningl
While this book may be read at any time of day, the book concludes by advising the reader to only read this book at night. Yet another classic by Dr. Seuss that reinforces the beloved tongue-twisters, repetitive words and made up phrases! I read this book to bed the other night and am not ashamed to admit. Dr. Seuss is simply the best.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 08, 2012 Linda (Miss Greedybooks) rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
When I was a nanny I would sit close to the crib and read this in a low voice, then getting more soft until I was whispering, he never made it to the end of the story.
Aug 05, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, childrens, for-review
Megan Compton
Feb 25, 2015 Megan Compton rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-book
I had never heard of this Dr. Seuss book before so naturally I had to read it to see how I liked it! Most of Dr. Seuss' books fall under the category of a poetry book, and The Sleep Book is no exception. The story begins with one small yawn that spreads from bedroom to bedroom and across the country until ninety-nine zillion, nine trillion and three Seussians are sound asleep. It is the perfect bedtime story/poem.

I really enjoyed this book. I found the words and illustrations to be very engagin
Dr. Seuss is always perfect and so is this book of sleepy time poems. Yes the book can be read as one continuos story but it is also a collection of stand alone poems. Dr. Seuss in his fanciful way always ,also, makes the pictures pleasing to children. This is a very good early reader book with new easy vocabulary introduced through out. Children could take turns learning to read the verses( poems ) separately and then reading them to the class.

A Jedd is in bed,
And the bed of the Jedd
Is the soft
Kathy Davie
A standalone picture book of fantasy for children that explores how contagious is the yawn.

My Take
It's primarily an exploration of Seuss' imagination about sleep, as he roams the world poking at his fanciful creatures and nudging at stereotypes. I suspect Seuss got an itch on the brain and decided to get rid of it by writing and drawing.

Uh-huh, now I know how Santa keeps track of who's naughty and nice!

Ick! I would not want to be a Chippendale Mupp who needs to get up!

As for the graphics, they'r
Feb 29, 2016 Ban rated it it was amazing
A great book to read and/or read to babies and kids. The multiple references to yawning and sleep typically makes the reader/listener yawn after a few pages !

Illustrations are good but some did seem a wee bit grotesque/scary (i.e. not overly cute like in most baby books). It didn't bother our baby listener though and so wasn't a big deal. In fact, his favorite pic is that of the Chipndale Mupp with the very long tail ! This book is definitely going to be part of the daily bed time routine from
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Apr 06, 2012 Mohammed Al-Garawi rated it really liked it
Absolutely clever and cute.

I really want to read this to my kids before they go to sleep.
I've read this book at least 20 times, and I have never read it without crying at the end.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 14, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
... an enjoyable childhood read, typical of all the Dr. Seuss books I've read...
Victoria Hawkins
Nov 19, 2014 Victoria Hawkins rated it liked it
The Sleep book by Dr. Seuss makes the reader sleepy. In the whole book it expresses the way that makes an individual sleepy. The book goes through the different characters from the Dr. Sues Books sleeping. The goal of this book is to help put the reader to sleep. This book is a great bed time story for young children. The book has many different colors that express the mood of the short story. I found that it was a really cool book because every single character is sleeping. The text and the pic ...more
David Drent
Oct 08, 2016 David Drent rated it it was amazing
snoozed like a baby after fiance read it to me.
Sep 24, 2007 JJ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dr. Suess fans
A good book. I always liked the sleeping machine.
Mar 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jul 11, 2015 Donald rated it really liked it
Well, it's Dr. Seuss, so how can you go wrong? As it says at the beginning, "This Book is to be Read in Bed". And is it ever? It all starts with a very small bug yawning, and ends with all "ninety-nine zillion nine trillion and three" of us asleep! Cute and strange throughout! The only drawback as a bed time story is that it is a bit of a tongue twister, which resulted in some laughs that didn't exactly help getting in the sleepy mood! But for me, well it makes me tired just thinking about it! G ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 01, 2016 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, humour
It's silly to enter a start and finish date on this book - I've been reading it for years and will undoubtedly continue reading it for many years to come. Having said that, I don't think my parents read it to me when I was a child - I see it was first published in 1962 so they could have, but I think it more likely they found it when my younger brothers were around. Anyway, the longevity of my knowledge of this book is without question. As is my enjoyment of it.

Not all of Dr Seuss's books are fa
Rob Brock
Sep 16, 2016 Rob Brock rated it it was amazing
This classic by Dr. Seuss is one of our family's all-time favorites. It's a long book, so don't pull this off the shelf if you want a quick story before bed for your kids. But if you want a story that will get your kids to sleep 9 times out of 10, this book is your best friend.

"The Sleep Book" has become so much a part of our family's heritage, we'll quote whole sections of the book to each other on road trips, just for fun.

One of our favorites:
"Counting up sleepers? / Just how do we do it? / Re
Dana Salman
Oct 17, 2009 Dana Salman rated it it was amazing
Dr.Seuss writes poetry as though he'd done nothing else in his entire life. I never get tired of reading his rhymes! No poet in the world can do as well as he does! The words he makes up himself are unheard of, original, fun, and roll off the tongue in a rhythmic way. This book, if possible, was even better than "Oh the Places You'll Go!" guaranteed to put readers into a delicious sleep. When I first saw it at my 1-and-a-half-year-old cousin's house, I'd assumed it was just another beginner's bo ...more
Jul 05, 2012 Asho rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Dr. Seuss book. I have clear memories of my grandmother reading this to me before bed when I would spend the night at her house as a child. Eventually it must have made its way back to my house, because my mom recently found it there and gave it to me to read to my son. I hope that he'll come to love it as much as I did (and still do).
The pictures, in true Dr. Seuss fashion, are mesmerizing. They strike a balance between cute/cuddly and haunting/eerie. As I read this to my b
Seuss Lovers: Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book 1 2 Dec 06, 2012 06:34PM
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle
  • Snug House, Bug House (Bright & Early Books)
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • That's Not My Dragon...
  • I Love You As Much...
  • The Nose Book
  • No Matter What
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
  • Trucks Board Book
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • It's Time to Sleep, My Love