Start by marking “Your Favorite Seuss” as Want to Read:
Your Favorite Seuss

Your Favorite Seuss

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,325 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews

From his very first book to his very last book, here in one big volume are 13 classic Dr. Seuss stories, everyone's favorites. All of the words and virtually all of the illustrations are included. Each story is prefaced by a short essay by someone whose life was changed by Dr. Seuss or who is simply an unabashed admirer. Also included are photographs of Dr. Seuss, memorab

Published October 12th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Your Favorite Seuss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Favorite Seuss

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlMiss Nelson Is Missing! by Harry AllardA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadWalk Two Moons by Sharon CreechAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Future Classroom Wishlist
26th out of 63 books — 5 voters
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Another 100 Best Books
80th out of 101 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Joy Gerbode
Jul 22, 2012 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful! This is a collection of the best stories in the world, of course, Dr. Seuss stories ... interspursed with information about his life, his work, and his dreams. Recollections of others about his work, and his own wonderful artwork make the collection absolutely the best book I've read in years! Might go on my list as the best book ever ...

I have so many fond memories of Dr. Seuss, the Cat in the Hat, and my personal favorite, Green Eggs and Ham ... from my childhood. In mo
Pamela
Oct 24, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, childrens, own
One of my most cherished collector's books. The Baker's Dozen of classic Seuss stories along with biographical vignettes of the amazing Theodore 'Seuss' Geisel's life, dreams, patriotic contributions, literary accomplishments, and educational advancements. And if you're ever in the San Diego area, be sure to plan a visit to the architecturally unique Geisel Library on the SDSU campus in La Jolla.

Judy Patrick
Mar 31, 2015 Judy Patrick rated it it was amazing
Well, what more can I say? It's Dr. Seuss. The man that either taught us to read, or taught us to LOVE to read.
Growing up, my favorite story of his has always been How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The Jim Carrey movie version is one of my favorite movies of all time and the book is up there as well. I'm quite ashamed to say that I actually haven't read a lot of Seuss's stories before today. So when my mom got me this gorgeous collector's edition for Christmas, I figured it was the best time to
Irene McHugh
I didn’t read Dr. Seuss as a kid. At least I have no memory of reading his work. And I loved reading. And our home was full of books. I just don’t remember any Seuss.

Sometimes I wonder if my parents didn’t like Seuss. The more likely scenario, though, is that the mail order books that lined our shelves didn’t include Seuss as an option. We had a lot of National Geographic selections, though!

I remember when my brother graduated from high school, the valedictorian read parts of Oh, The Places You
Chris Schaben
Feb 03, 2015 Chris Schaben rated it it was amazing
Once I saw this book for sale, I knew I had to have it. Sure, there are some great stories missing from this collection. But as the authors say, if they included every great story by Dr. Seuss, the book would be too heavy for children to carry. This collection contains Seuss's most essential works, and it opens the door for starting your collection of his books off right. Plus, there are great essays to give you background information before reading each book and fun trivia pages to help you und ...more
Joy
May 20, 2010 Joy rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of Seuss with all the original illustrations and essays on each story and pictures of historical sites.

And to Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street
On his way home, Marco only seeks a horse and a wagon on Mulberry Street. He thinks this is boring so he makes up something more exciting.

McElligot's Pool
A boy goes fishing in McElligot's pool and is warned that he will never catch fish in it.

If I Ran the Zoo
Gerald McGrew tells us what he would change if he ran the zoo.

Horton
Kristen
Feb 14, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of 13 Dr. Suess classic stories. These clever little stories really inspires the audience to think in a unique way. The rhymes and play on words makes every story a very fun read. Everything is so well done including the artwork, stories, and the preface accompanied with each story. These books will never get old!
Amber the Human
Jul 11, 2015 Amber the Human rated it liked it
I think I was looking for Green Eggs and Ham at the library and I ran across this instead. It's a nice compilation because it's entertaining for all generations. Kids will appreciate the stories. Adults will appreciate the celebrity and other sorts of peeps intros.
Stan
Nov 05, 2013 Stan rated it it was amazing
Dr. Seuss's stories and pictures are outlandish and wonderful. He told his stories with such energy and verve it's hard not to get caught up in the action yourself. There's no mistaking a Seuss story for anyone else's. The buildings, the machines, the characters, the word plays and rhymes are all pure Dr. Seuss. And when he had a point to make he made it with style. In addition to the incomparable stories, A Baker's Dozen has some great introductory essays and additional information about the ma ...more
Cheri Linton
Aug 12, 2014 Cheri Linton rated it it was amazing
Love it. The older I get the more I appreciate Dr. Seuss. This lovely volume includes well known people expressing how Dr. Seuss affected them and their own personal lives.
Douglas McKenzie
Jul 14, 2015 Douglas McKenzie rated it did not like it
This publication is so poorly bound that some of the artwork cannot be seen; it runs into the binding. This is inexcusably shoddy workmanship.
Sweet on Books
Mar 17, 2011 Sweet on Books rated it really liked it
Dr. Seuss is the master of rhyme, and this beautiful hardcover book featuring thirteen of his stories is a perfect way to display his work. Each clever story inspires readers in a unique way. They emphasize concepts like being creative, being an individual, and being respectful of each other and our planet. Seuss turns the world upside down and inside out, and yet somehow everything seems to make sense. He leaves readers laughing and thinking at the same time. Read them out loud and read them of ...more
Eric
Sep 07, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing
i freakin' love dr. seuss. this is a pretty amazing compilation of some of his better known works (and a few lesser read ones). each work is prefaced by an essay by a well-known writer, entertainer, etc. about the importance of the work to that individual, and to the reading public in general. there's lots of neat ephemera between the stories -- pictures of little-seen seuss sketches, early drafts, other artwork, illustrations, and biographical info.

contains 'the sneetches', 'the lorax', 'cat i
Heydi Smith
Oct 10, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-one-on-one
Loved the essays, they taught me so much about why and how Griesel wrote these amazing works of arts.
Beth
I had imagined reading this beautifully done coffee table book with one or another of my grandchildren. Instead, I read it alone and mostly out loud. Great memories. Satisfying chuckles. Time, in my opion, well spent...and I'll probably do it again, someday.
Cara
Jul 18, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing
Carsten and I really enjoyed this. There are 13 of Seuss' best books included in their entirety... The Cat in The Hat, The Lorax, Green Eggs and Ham, Yertle the Turtle, and Horton Hears a Who to just name a few! Carsten was pretty proud of himself once we finished all the stories because it is such a big book. This was a great find at the library! I am tempted to buy one to keep on our shelves. It also includes a lot of biographical information about Dr. Seuss and his books, which is really inte ...more
Christy
Dec 03, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing
Oh,the memories! His earliest books were definitely the best!
Samantha
Mar 25, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
A collection Seussian favorites complete with introductions to each story written by people both familiar (many authors) and not (a librarian!) who have been effected by Seuss' wonderful work. Also included are clippings from Seuss' advertising days and background information on some of the influences that made their way into Seuss classics.

Overall, this book does a great job of giving readers the world in which Seuss was writing as well as how the world was effected by what he was writing. Thi
Ashley
Mar 30, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
You're never too old for Dr. Seuss.
Stephanie
Nov 12, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful. It includes 13 of Dr. Seuss's most famous stories including The Cat in the Hat, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Horton Hears a Who!, and The Lorax. It also includes introduction essays by many famous authors and educators. It is a MUST-HAVE for every early elementary teacher or Dr. Seuss fanatic. It is a very large book, so I do not recommend allowing children to use it, but it is great for teachers to use in read-alouds. The pictures are large so it should be easy for st ...more
Kim
Sep 04, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A fantastic collection of Dr. Seuss... if you only buy one Dr. Seuss book, this is the one to get. It's embarrassing to battle with your five-year-old about WHICH story to read at night, but we do. My favs lean toward the Sneetches, the Lorax, the Grinch who Stole Christmas... all those with their moral messages. My son just loves the ones about fishing and animals (McElligot's Pool, If I Ran the Zoo). In the end, we both win... they're all great stories.
Bart Everson
May 06, 2011 Bart Everson rated it did not like it
Shelves: kiddie
With all respect to the designers, in my opinion this style of reprint — not faithful to the original page layout — ruins the stories. Compare them side-by-side and you'll see what I mean. The stories themselves are, of course, excellent. My only issue is with the format, whereby four pages are rejiggered into two. The extra material added between the stories is nice, but I'd recommend tracking down these books in their original format.
Africanpersonalities2000
Jul 13, 2009 Africanpersonalities2000 rated it it was amazing
If you are ready to take a trip back and time and revisit some of the most interesting and intriguing stories written by Dr. Seuss this is the collection to have. It also gives writers great insight on the genius that was embodied by one of the most masterful children book creators. He was an example of artistic excellence in marketing for all types of American Merchandise..

check it out
Mike Mercurio
Jun 07, 2008 Mike Mercurio rated it it was amazing
I wonder if more people would care about the environment if they had read, or had read to them when they were young, 'The Lorax'; its probably one of the best pro-environment stories ever written and without being preachy it paints a grim picture of what could happen in our future. Take time out of your day to hug a tree, they do a lot more for us than we give them credit for.
Jacki
Apr 18, 2012 Jacki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Who has anything bad to say about Seuss? I purchased this book for our family library. I've loved discovering some of the Seuss's longer books. The book has information about the author's life, with famous author's essays on Dr Seuss. The books appear to be condensed slightly so two pages are fit onto one- it seems all the original illustrations are there, just not as large.
Tamsyn
Aug 05, 2008 Tamsyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books, own
I joined a book club especially to buy this book. It's got Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat and the Hat, and Oh the Places You'll Go, which are some of my favorite. There's also a lot of interesting history about Dr Seuss, his poetry and his art. It includes his first book (And To Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street, 1937) and his last (Oh the Places You'll Go, 1991).
Heidi
Aug 09, 2008 Heidi rated it liked it
An excellent addition to my children's library. 13 classic Seuss. Deciding to read one every night for a bedtime story got me through the book finally. It was rather fun. I liked reading some of the background of Seuss as well. I still think I am very sadly lacking in my Seuss reading and should probably read more. But at least this is part of my library.
kristen
Jun 09, 2012 kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012

I feel like I've gotten to know Ted Geisel after reading this compilation of his stories, sketches, biography, and many tributes. My son has been reading the 13 stories out loud which I've enjoyed immensely (there's nothing like hearing a child read Dr. Seuss!!!). Other than the enormous size and weight, this is a book to treasure.
Tabatha Patterson
Jun 02, 2013 Tabatha Patterson rated it it was amazing
Contains most of my all-time favourites including The Lorax and The Sneeches. Also includes articles written about Seuss by those who knew him. He said "I don't write for children, I write for people" and it was true; the political commentary and life lessons hidden behind the colourful rhymes and illustrations may surprise you.
Goodreads Librari...: page number request 2 11 Mar 05, 2015 06:40AM
  • Curious George Goes to School
  • Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Once there was a bull...frog
  • Frederick's Fables : A Treasury of 16 Favorite Leo Lionni Stories
  • The Legend of the Golden Snail
  • The Random House Book of Poetry for Children
  • Excuse Me!: a Little Book of Manners
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • On Beyond Bugs (Cat In The Hat's Learning Library)
  • Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport