Your Favorite Seuss

Your Favorite Seuss

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  620 ratings  ·  55 reviews

From his very first book to his very last book, here in one big volume are 13 classic Dr. Seuss stories, everyone's favorites. All of the words and virtually all of the illustrations are included. Each story is prefaced by a short essay by someone whose life was changed by Dr. Seuss or who is simply an unabashed admirer. Also included are photographs of Dr. Seuss, memorab

Published October 12th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Your Favorite Seuss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Favorite Seuss

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlMy First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisNeurology by April Chloe TerrazasGrandma! Can I Get a Dog? by Barry Jordan Jr.My Book of Amazing Achievements by April Chloe Terrazas
Future Classroom Wishlist
16th out of 63 books — 4 voters
Secrets by Robin Jones GunnWaterfalls by Robin Jones GunnLove's Long Journey by Janette OkeLove's Enduring Promise by Janette OkeLove's Abiding Joy by Janette Oke
Another 100 Best Books
80th out of 102 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Pamela
One of my most cherished collector's books. The Baker's Dozen of classic Seuss stories along with biographical vignettes of the amazing Theodore 'Seuss' Geisel's life, dreams, patriotic contributions, literary accomplishments, and educational advancements. And if you're ever in the San Diego area, be sure to plan a visit to the architecturally unique Geisel Library on the SDSU campus in La Jolla.

Joy Gerbode
Absolutely delightful! This is a collection of the best stories in the world, of course, Dr. Seuss stories ... interspursed with information about his life, his work, and his dreams. Recollections of others about his work, and his own wonderful artwork make the collection absolutely the best book I've read in years! Might go on my list as the best book ever ...

I have so many fond memories of Dr. Seuss, the Cat in the Hat, and my personal favorite, Green Eggs and Ham ... from my childhood. In mo...more
Joy
An excellent collection of Seuss with all the original illustrations and essays on each story and pictures of historical sites.

And to Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street
On his way home, Marco only seeks a horse and a wagon on Mulberry Street. He thinks this is boring so he makes up something more exciting.

McElligot's Pool
A boy goes fishing in McElligot's pool and is warned that he will never catch fish in it.

If I Ran the Zoo
Gerald McGrew tells us what he would change if he ran the zoo.

Horton...more
Kristen
This book is a collection of 13 Dr. Suess classic stories. These clever little stories really inspires the audience to think in a unique way. The rhymes and play on words makes every story a very fun read. Everything is so well done including the artwork, stories, and the preface accompanied with each story. These books will never get old!
Stan
Dr. Seuss's stories and pictures are outlandish and wonderful. He told his stories with such energy and verve it's hard not to get caught up in the action yourself. There's no mistaking a Seuss story for anyone else's. The buildings, the machines, the characters, the word plays and rhymes are all pure Dr. Seuss. And when he had a point to make he made it with style. In addition to the incomparable stories, A Baker's Dozen has some great introductory essays and additional information about the ma...more
Cheri Linton
Love it. The older I get the more I appreciate Dr. Seuss. This lovely volume includes well known people expressing how Dr. Seuss affected them and their own personal lives.
Sweet on Books
Dr. Seuss is the master of rhyme, and this beautiful hardcover book featuring thirteen of his stories is a perfect way to display his work. Each clever story inspires readers in a unique way. They emphasize concepts like being creative, being an individual, and being respectful of each other and our planet. Seuss turns the world upside down and inside out, and yet somehow everything seems to make sense. He leaves readers laughing and thinking at the same time. Read them out loud and read them of...more
Eric
i freakin' love dr. seuss. this is a pretty amazing compilation of some of his better known works (and a few lesser read ones). each work is prefaced by an essay by a well-known writer, entertainer, etc. about the importance of the work to that individual, and to the reading public in general. there's lots of neat ephemera between the stories -- pictures of little-seen seuss sketches, early drafts, other artwork, illustrations, and biographical info.

contains 'the sneetches', 'the lorax', 'cat i...more
Cara
Carsten and I really enjoyed this. There are 13 of Seuss' best books included in their entirety... The Cat in The Hat, The Lorax, Green Eggs and Ham, Yertle the Turtle, and Horton Hears a Who to just name a few! Carsten was pretty proud of himself once we finished all the stories because it is such a big book. This was a great find at the library! I am tempted to buy one to keep on our shelves. It also includes a lot of biographical information about Dr. Seuss and his books, which is really inte...more
Samantha
A collection Seussian favorites complete with introductions to each story written by people both familiar (many authors) and not (a librarian!) who have been effected by Seuss' wonderful work. Also included are clippings from Seuss' advertising days and background information on some of the influences that made their way into Seuss classics.

Overall, this book does a great job of giving readers the world in which Seuss was writing as well as how the world was effected by what he was writing. Thi...more
Ashley
You're never too old for Dr. Seuss.
Stephanie
This book is wonderful. It includes 13 of Dr. Seuss's most famous stories including The Cat in the Hat, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Horton Hears a Who!, and The Lorax. It also includes introduction essays by many famous authors and educators. It is a MUST-HAVE for every early elementary teacher or Dr. Seuss fanatic. It is a very large book, so I do not recommend allowing children to use it, but it is great for teachers to use in read-alouds. The pictures are large so it should be easy for st...more
Kim
A fantastic collection of Dr. Seuss... if you only buy one Dr. Seuss book, this is the one to get. It's embarrassing to battle with your five-year-old about WHICH story to read at night, but we do. My favs lean toward the Sneetches, the Lorax, the Grinch who Stole Christmas... all those with their moral messages. My son just loves the ones about fishing and animals (McElligot's Pool, If I Ran the Zoo). In the end, we both win... they're all great stories.
Bart Everson
With all respect to the designers, in my opinion this style of reprint — not faithful to the original page layout — ruins the stories. Compare them side-by-side and you'll see what I mean. The stories themselves are, of course, excellent. My only issue is with the format, whereby four pages are rejiggered into two. The extra material added between the stories is nice, but I'd recommend tracking down these books in their original format.
Africanpersonalities2000
If you are ready to take a trip back and time and revisit some of the most interesting and intriguing stories written by Dr. Seuss this is the collection to have. It also gives writers great insight on the genius that was embodied by one of the most masterful children book creators. He was an example of artistic excellence in marketing for all types of American Merchandise..

check it out
Mike Mercurio
I wonder if more people would care about the environment if they had read, or had read to them when they were young, 'The Lorax'; its probably one of the best pro-environment stories ever written and without being preachy it paints a grim picture of what could happen in our future. Take time out of your day to hug a tree, they do a lot more for us than we give them credit for.
Jacki
Who has anything bad to say about Seuss? I purchased this book for our family library. I've loved discovering some of the Seuss's longer books. The book has information about the author's life, with famous author's essays on Dr Seuss. The books appear to be condensed slightly so two pages are fit onto one- it seems all the original illustrations are there, just not as large.
Tamsyn
I joined a book club especially to buy this book. It's got Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat and the Hat, and Oh the Places You'll Go, which are some of my favorite. There's also a lot of interesting history about Dr Seuss, his poetry and his art. It includes his first book (And To Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street, 1937) and his last (Oh the Places You'll Go, 1991).
Heidi
An excellent addition to my children's library. 13 classic Seuss. Deciding to read one every night for a bedtime story got me through the book finally. It was rather fun. I liked reading some of the background of Seuss as well. I still think I am very sadly lacking in my Seuss reading and should probably read more. But at least this is part of my library.
Rowlak5

I feel like I've gotten to know Ted Geisel after reading this compilation of his stories, sketches, biography, and many tributes. My son has been reading the 13 stories out loud which I've enjoyed immensely (there's nothing like hearing a child read Dr. Seuss!!!). Other than the enormous size and weight, this is a book to treasure.
Tabatha Patterson
Contains most of my all-time favourites including The Lorax and The Sneeches. Also includes articles written about Seuss by those who knew him. He said "I don't write for children, I write for people" and it was true; the political commentary and life lessons hidden behind the colourful rhymes and illustrations may surprise you.
Jared Brzenski
Not only do you get the Seuss stories, but in between are one page facts about Dr. Seuss and his life, art, and writing. There are also letters from famous authors and why they enjoy the story you are about to read. These little anecdotes are worth buying the book alone, plus you get all the Seuss stories.
John
When was the last time you read, "The Lorax?"
Anyone that knows how to read should own this book from from 3, to 30,to 90. Seuss never gets old. If you are too old, and too cool to read Dr. Seuss, go ahead and end your life, because you are incapable of fun and remembering the joys of childhood.
Brett Hollinger
It's Dr. Seuss! What more can you say? Inspirational, appropriate and fun for any age.
Aubrey
I wouldn't classify the 12 Seuss books in this collection as my personal absolute favorite, but the selection is pretty darn close. My children and I also enjoyed the fan mail and historical backdrop shared before each story. Great editing, worthy of Amazon gifting or for your personal shelf.
April
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Nancy
My Daddy read Dr Seuss to me and my sister and I couldn't wait to learn to read so that I could read them by myself. My daughter loved Dr. Seuss, too. The nice thing about Dr Seuss is that kids love his books and they are so clever, parents don't mind reading them over and over!
Keith Bowden
A handy collection of some of the BEST Seuss material, all between just two covers and oversized. Makes it handy for an adult collection and a nice gift for a kid. (One of these days, I swear I'm actually going to make green eggs and ham. See if I don't!)
Megan
Awesome book to have. Some of my favorite are in here. Plus between the stories there are little tidbits of Dr. Seuss and other projects he worked on. At the beginning of the story there is a little tidbit of how that story came to be, or why he wrote it.
  • Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • Mouse Cookies & More: A Treasury [With CD (Audio)-- 8 Songs and Celebrity Readings]
  • Curious George and the Pizza
  • Clifford's First Halloween
  • LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign
  • The Random House Book of Poetry for Children
  • Countdown to Kindergarten
Theodor Seuss Geisel was born 2 March 1904 in Springfield, MA. He graduated Dartmouth College in 1925, and proceeded on to Oxford University with the intent of acquiring a doctorate in literature. At Oxford he met Helen Palmer, who he wed in 1927. He returned from Europe in 1927, and began working for a magazine called Judge, the leading humor magazine in America at the time, submitting both carto...more
More about Dr. Seuss...
Green Eggs and Ham The Cat in the Hat How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Oh, The Places You'll Go! The Lorax