Start by marking “Mirror” as Want to Read:
Mirror

Mirror

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Stunning in its simplicity and grace, Mirror is visual tour-de-force that requires no words to tell its universal tale. Author and illustrator Suzy Lee masterfully creates a world where a little girl explores and dances — at first cautiously, later exuberantly — with her reflection in the mirror. When discord between the girl and her reflection surfaces, Lee's unforgettabl ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Seven Footer Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirror

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
43rd out of 138 books — 218 voters
The Ghost in the Mirror by Marcia KruchtenThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollMirror of Danger by Pamela SykesMirrorMask by Neil GaimanMirror Mirror by Hilary Bell
Someone in the Mirror
19th out of 54 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Jan 21, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I first didn’t know what to make of this wordless picture book, but as I read on, I became impressed.

The illustrations are truly lovely. All of the illustrations did a wonderful job of eliciting emotions; the first/last pictures touched me the most, but some of the ones in the middle were really fun and funny.

The story can be looked at as a simple one of a girl playing in front of a mirror, something with which all children (and all adults with memories of their childhoods) can identify. It can
Nbkyouth
E Lee
Very emotional wordless book. Sophisticated. Older kids can talk about what it makes them feel and what the girl(s) go through. Is the mirror image a metaphor for self? Friendship?

Probably only for older kids. I found it confusing,disturbing and nihilistic. AMF
Westerville
"This is another wordless book from Suzy Lee (who also did Wave and Shadow), and it makes a fascinating use of book-as-object (the gutter is the mirror)." - Becky, Teen Librarian

Nafiza
May 24, 2013 Nafiza rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I found this relatively short, wordless, picture book to be amazing. The book is about a girl looking at herself in the mirror and the art is stark and somehow so earnest. It presents this fascinating concept of not just looking at yourself in the mirror but also recognizing the image in the mirror as yourself. What if the image isn’t you? Even though it looks like you, acts like you and seems like you? How do you know? And when you break the mirror, are you also shattering? Fascinating sequence ...more
Lindsey
I like how Suzy Lee's books come full circle in the end. Her books are snapshots when the routine is changed for a split second.

All of her books require reflection. Why is the girl upset at the beginning of the book? Maybe because she has no one to play with? Then, she does. They get mad at each other. Then she is sad and alone again. The illustrations are gorgeous. I love the gray pencil/charcoal drawing with the bursts of color when something magical happens.
Gphatty
Another fantastic wordless picture book from Lee. I really loved following the story, and, even though I was expecting some of the events in the tale, I was slightly confused as to what really happened. This will still be a great book for kids to tell the story with someone, but because it starts off so strong, I was expecting something more "clear." My own disappointment is probably the only reason I didn't give this 5 stars.
Randy
Drawn to the cover and the size of the book, I picked this up while shopping for the Library.

I finished it quickly, as there are no words, and the story was so wonderful. It has so much potential to be used for inferring.

I recommend this to all those who are waiting to dance the dance that is inside of them.
Rebecca
This is another wordless book from Suzy Lee (who also did Wave and Shadow), and it also makes a fascinating use of book-as-object (the gutter is the mirror). But the ending is a bit unpleasant, and there is a grammar mistake on the back cover copy.
Catarina Oak
This is sort of a graphic novel but more like a children's book.
It's basically simple drawings of a girl and it's very sad actually. The end remembered me of 1984.
Mohammad
Nicely done! My 2.5 year old son really enjoys this book. He can't get enough of looking at the pictures (great illustration).
Shelli
No words. Simple charcoal drawings tell a story of a young girls interest in her reflection in the mirror.
Huda
It's only the mirror, which take out the sad feelings out of my body.
A "wise" wordless picture book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Wordless picture book. Simple but good to look closely at the development of the pictures.
John
Is it a Rorschach test? I'd love to read Esme Codell and Elizabeth Bird's thoughts on this book.
Natalia Ortega-Brown
Another amazing wordless book by Suzy Lee ( check out Shadow). Simple but memorable!
Miriam
This wordless picture book is a little thin on story, but I love Lee's drawing style.
Kristin
The most existential children's book. Wordless. Surreal. Perfect.
Jasmine
I'm really sorry I don't really understand this book
Mckinley
Fun. Great stances/expressions.
Phoebe
It made me chuckle in the library. :D
Kevin Fanning
NOT adding this just to pad out my yearly reading challenge numbers, just read it at the library and was like: Whoa. Kinda freaky. If you read this when you were little it would probably be one of those books that haunted you forever, like Bang Bang You're Dead is for me.
Maggie KutsBorg
If you want to have a strong emotional reaction to a picture book, read this one.
Angela Hollen
This wordless book is strange. May be good for inferencing units.
Rachelccameron
didn't like this book. it's rather depressing and doesn't have a great message for children
Paul
Lee again works with a non-traditional long-formatted book, this time exploring exploring how what happens in front of the mirror affects what takes place inside the mirror. MIRROR doesn't resolve like the later SHADOWS and WAVE even though beginning playfully. Instead, it ends on a more somber, lonely and darker note. Lee's exploration of the middle seam to work her narrative magic, including the point where the reflection and reflected disappear, is magnificent!
Lizzie
Wordless, beautifully simple and original but definitely not for everyone. This might be a good fit for bibliotherapy type session to help children understand their actions have consequences. This could also be used to help explain graphic design or photography techniques.
Gayathri
Signature Suzy Lee, with whimsical illustrations of a young girl's fascination with a mirror. Although it is only visuals, some of the ideas are layered and a little complex, so I wouldn't recommend it for young picture book readers. Aside from that, beautiful book.
Nanci Booher
This wordless picture book will pull at your heartstrings. It is beautifully illustrated and the story is easy to follow along with.
Tania McCartney
Gorgeous. So perfectly capturing childhood. Priceless main character.
Jamil
tripped out & exuberant, and then, dark.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Re-Zoom
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • Time Flies
  • Flashlight
Suzy Lee is an artist and illustrator, born in Seoul, Korea. She received her BFA in painting from Seoul National University and her MA in Book Arts from Camberwell College of Arts, London. Her books and paintings have won numerous international awards and have been featured in exhibitions worldwide.
More about Suzy Lee...
Wave Shadow The Zoo Alice in Wonderland: Alice nel paese delle meraviglie El Pájaro Negro