Start by marking “What Once We Loved What Once We Loved” as Want to Read:
What Once We Loved What Once We Loved

What Once We Loved What Once We Loved (Kinship and Courage #3)

A CIRCLE OF COURAGEOUS WOMEN DISCOVERS THE MEANING OF INDEPENDENCE, FORGIVENESS, AND LOVE Ruth Martin had a dream: to become an independent woman and build a life in southern Oregon for herself and her children.But when her friend Mazy's inaction results in a tragedy that shatters Ruth's dream, Ruth must start anew and try to heal her tender wounds.
Her friends are also mo
Published February 11th 2009 by Waterbrook Press (first published September 18th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about What Once We Loved What Once We Loved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Once We Loved What Once We Loved

Sonya
It was the third of a series. I did not read the first two. Some things were explained in backflashes that allowed me to understand what was going on...others were not.

There were a lot of characters. When there were scene changes, the POV was sometimes difficult to find until a few paragraphs down, then I would have to re-read to put them in the right place in my mind.

Breaking for another paragraph when there was a change in person was not done. (i.e. She said, "...." He nodded. She said, "..."
Rosemary Cantrell
This is the 3rd book in this series. To be honest, I found myself getting a little bored with these characters. I know they were supposed to be coming to a new understanding of life and all, but a lot of it was a little contrived. The first two books had a little more excitement and struggle. The struggles in this one just didn't catch my interest as much.

There are plenty of lessons about living life and coming to terms with who a person is in his heart and how to let the right people in, about
Mavis
Jan 21, 2011 Mavis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book in this series but found that from book 2 on, the preachiness was really annoying and ruined what could have been an informative and entertaining look at pioneer women of the 1800s.
Maninder Grewal
“What Once We Loved” by Jane Kirkpatrick is an inspiring story to read about a woman who uses courage and perseverance through all the hardships life threw at her. It taught me how sometimes it is necessary to learn to be independent and move on in life when things don’t turn out exactly how you planned them to be. I think the author’s main theme is to keep going ahead in the journey of life even if you meet challenges on the way and you get hit by trajedy.
On page 30 it states, “Reality was w
Joneal Kirby
Jul 18, 2010 Joneal Kirby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Master storyteller? Time will tell us that as history means the writing is behind the author. The writer passes on. The writing remains and gets termed "master of the genre" "classic author", etc. Jane Kirkpatrick will be one of those termed a master storyteller of historical fiction involved deeply with the telling of pioneering, intensely strong, passionate women. Nobody does it as well as Kirkpatrick. This book is the final in a trilogy that gave dimension to the women who forged on alone to ...more
Joyce
Sep 20, 2011 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book is going to be so good. I loved the first two in the series. Such a good writer.
I don't know why this one wasn't as compelling reading for me as the first two. I have two theories. One, I could have used a breather between books two and three, maybe it was just too much pioneer reading at one stretch. My second theory is a tad more complicated. I'm wondering if the author in fact wrote one book and chopped it into three parts, leaving the third book with little plot. So much repetition
Marjorie DeAngelis
Jane, thank you for bringing all the ends together - a happy ending for some, a horrible end for others, and lots of unexpected things. An amazing series, well worth the time. I remain totally in awe of Ms. Kirkpatrick's use of language - words, turn of phrase. Just exquisite.
Deann Doolittle
This was the third book in the trilogy and it took me awhile to get through. I love reading about historical fiction but this book seemed to linger on forever. I just needed closure on how their lives ended whether I enjoyed the book or not.
Sarah Adamson
Mar 03, 2016 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Better than 2, not as good as 1.
This third book in the trilogy sees everyone finding their homes. Everyone's adventuring has reached conclusion and as with most romance novels, most have happy endings!
Good writing, obviously lots of research.
Michelle
Nov 23, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What Once We Loved
Jane Kirkpatrick
Historical Contemporary Romance
390 pages
copyright: 2001
isbn: 1-57856-234-1

Ruth Martin had a dream: to become an independent woman and build a life in southern Oregon for herself and her children. But when a tragedy shatters Ruth's dream, she must start anew and try to heal her tender wounds.

Her friends are also moving on. Mazy wrestles with her understanding of what faith and family really mean; Tipton discovers that marriage requires more than she's ready to g
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the series (3 of 3), it's a pretty light read and was an interesting story of strong pioneering women. The overtones of religion isn't my bag but it takes place in northern CA and southern OR so that was fun. I'm not sure if I'll read this author again but she's a local author that lives on Central Oregon and did great research blending in historic characters into a fictional story.
Wendy Sparkes
A wonderful conclusion to the "Kinship & Courage" Series - I was sorry to say goodbye to the characters, they had become close friends.

The turnaround women are spread about now, but the tender ties that brought them together on the trail still link them together as the women reach out to embrace new changes, & not be held hostage to what once they had loved.

#1 All Together in One Place by Jane Kirkpatrick
#2 No Eye Can See by Jane Kirkpatrick

To fully appreciate the stories, this series needs to be read in order.
Ciara
Feb 03, 2008 Ciara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I entered into this trilogy in the last book, I think. Generally I love books about pioneers, and this one had some horse-interest going on as well. However, the characters were really hard to keep straight, as there were a million of them. Also, it was pretty annoying to keep reading about how they were going to breed their mules. The author used "mules" and "jacks" interchangeably, which is pretty wierd considering mules are sterile and can't be bred. The character confusion may have been clea ...more
Judith Teggelaar
it was so good to read this series again -- one of Jane Kirkpatrick's best. The women are making new lives for themselves in California and Oregon as they all overcome hardships.
Samantha
Dec 23, 2008 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3rd book in a series- All Together in One Place & No Eye Can see) A sisterhood of friendship and faith, a circle of courageous women, a story of faith in the 1850's. The women are all building their separate lives now; moving on from the past and looking forward to the future. But can they do it, even when tragedy strikes, dreams are
shattered and life is so challenging? Together, these sisters find their hopes and dreams tested as they struggle to fine the love that will sustain them. I lo
Jaclynn
Mar 08, 2009 Jaclynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
The women(now mostly widows) who started out on the trail for Oregon 2 books ago have now come full circle, establishing homes and their families (there might just be a few weddings in the book! ) They’ve learned how to stand on their own 2 feet, but have also learned along the way that it’s okay to ask and accept help, to let go of the past, forgive, and learn to love again. New memories don’t necessarily replace, but rather shape the old. The historical settings for this novel include (in Ca) ...more
Tricia
Sep 19, 2013 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an inspiring story and exciting finish to the trilogy by Jane Kirkpatrick, of the women who survived the journey on the Oregon trail. Having been to most of the west coast locations mentioned in this book, it was interesting to visualize how it would have been over 100 years ago. I thought Kirkpatrick did a splendid job of winding the story of each woman's experience on their own path in life, and bringing them all together in the end as friends and family would do in their situation. T ...more
Leslie
Jul 31, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this book down. The whole series was like that. One of my favorites.
S. Willett
Never tire of Jane Kirkpatrick.
Jackiehutton
Jan 03, 2009 Jackiehutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great end to a very good series! This is far and away my favorite of the 3 book set. Although I would love to jack slap Ruth and give Suzanne a piece of my backbone, I found more turths in this book than I expected.
"What once we loved is memory now, tangled up with time, rooted deep. Cradled through experience, it seeks to warm us; stay off erosion of the wounded heart"
Cindy
Aug 26, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three of these books were about a group of women whose husbands and brothers all died as they came west on the Oregon trail - historical fiction that was loosely based on some true stories. Initially I was somewhat put off by the religious undertones, but the books grew on me and the third was definitely the best.
Darlene Arsenault
Jan 11, 2014 Darlene Arsenault rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Great little trilogy, didn't want to put it down.
Lori
Jun 20, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I often felt her writing was a bit slow through this series, I'm sorry to see the story wrap up. Her writing does get you to look inward at your own life and philosophies of just how you deal with hardships--very inspirational for sure.
Racheltd
Oct 29, 2009 Racheltd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my mom
Recommended to Racheltd by: Debbie
this book closed it up. its a cute series. this one at least gave direction to the characters...and still made the women look strong. and gee golly i am sure glad i didn't live in those days.
Lisa Aranda
I couldn't finish this book. It was too depressing. i knew that it would all work out and things would be fine, but that wasn't enough to make me go on. The first book in the series was a lot better.
Cheri Walker
Sep 18, 2007 Cheri Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Final in the trilogy, still great things and bad things happening, but all's well in the end of course, just the way I like it. What Once We Loved........until we choose to love again. Good Book!
Ursula
Jan 17, 2008 Ursula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a trilogy, written from the point of view of pioneering women. It's wonderfully well researched and the character developement is superb. Very enjoyable. Love Kirkpatricks writing.
Emilee
Jul 30, 2012 Emilee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first book in this series but book 2 & 3 I did not. I did not feel a connection with any of the characters. The relationships were not well written, in my opinion.
Oct 08, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Final book of a 3 part Christian Fiction novel of pioneer women. I really like some of the characters and was happy for the resolution in this final novel.
Sharon
Jul 25, 2008 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Kirkpatrick is very good at expressing people's emotions and relationships. I enjoy getting a look into how people lived as the west was being populated.
3 stars is an adequate review 1 6 May 19, 2008 01:55PM
  • A Perfect Love (Heavenly Daze #4)
  • Katie's Dream (The Wortham Family, #3)
  • Song Of The Silent Harp (Emerald Ballad #1)
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • Back Home Again (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #1)
  • Heaven's Road (Texas Angel, #2)
  • Wolves Among Us (Chronicles of the Scribe #3)
  • One More Sunrise
  • Something Old, Something New (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #10)
  • The Mustang Breaker (Horse Dreams Trilogy #2)
  • Poor Mrs. Rigsby
  • Rainbow's End
  • Dana's Valley
  • Colorado
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...

Kinship and Courage (3 books)
  • All Together in One Place (Kinship and Courage Series, #1)
  • No Eye Can See

“if you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten” 7 likes