Start by marking “Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature” as Want to Read:
Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature

Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature

This title deals with the biggest mathematical mystery in nature - Fibonacci numbers! Named after a famous mathematician, the number pattern is simple: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13...Each number in the sequence comes from adding the two numbers before it. What's the mystery? The pattern crops up in the most unexpected places. You'll find it in the disk of a sunflower, the skin of ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Growing Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Patterns

Betsy
Sep 03, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
One of the more interesting requests I receive at my library's reference desk comes from parents seeking math books for their kids. Generally speaking, they don't want math textbooks or worksheets of math problems. No, they want books in a picture book format that incorporate math in some original manner. Now it is fortunate that there are a slew of such books out there. You can find them in any good children's library if you know where to look and with the right teacher or parent, such books ca ...more
Kristine
Jun 23, 2012 Kristine rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is aimed for a middle aged elementary audience, grades 3 and up. These grades are the time they are learning about different types of flowers etc. and this connects with mathematics in a way you wouldn't think. It helps keep attention with the different images and vivid images. NSTA Outstanding Science Trade Book

E-Book from Pebblego
Nocturnal Animals/Bats
This is aimed for a grade range of 1st through 4th. This has very detailed information which would be used for reports or research of these
Whole And
Absolutely love this book to look at nature as a math source through the Fibonacci method.

Sticking photos and simply layout to fully grasp the patterns and teaching.

Wonderful to use as a subtle or intentional tool of combining lessons in nature and math.
Sara Check
Dec 03, 2011 Sara Check rated it really liked it
1.Junior book, informational.

2.Sarah Campbell explores the math world and the mystery of Fibonacci numbers by finding the patterns in nature such as flower petals, sunflower centers and pineapples.

3.A. Campbell found a way to illustrate the “biggest mathematical mystery” and relate it to the true golden spiral. After reading this beautifully photographed text, readers will be able to recognize and look for patterns that have always been there.

B.The concept of Fibonacci numbers has always seemed
Elizabeth
Sarah and Richard Campbell combine photos and a fun layout with simple text to present the idea of Fibonacci numbers to children. This is a nice introduction to the topic and will interest elementary school students in the topic.

The use of nature photos and the layout of the photos on the pages contribute to real life contextualization and understanding of what the text is telling you. Simple language makes it easy to understand the concept, making this an excellent resource for math and science
Kristen Jorgensen
Mar 17, 2014 Kristen Jorgensen rated it really liked it
I grew up watching the cute Disney video "Donald in Mathmagic Land," thanks to my wonderful mother. The message of the movie? Math is all around us and can be interesting... explored..., FUN! Today a growing number of books are geared to provide the same message, and at the helm is Sarah C. Campbell. Growing Patterns: Fibonacci Numbers in Nature with its beautiful photographs and cleaver writing will grab the attention of youngsters. Nature and math collide in a fun way that will have youngsters ...more
Janet Squires
The Fibonacci sequence begins: 1 1 2 3 5 8 13. Starting with one, each number is the sum of the two numbers that precede it. Campbell notes that one of the mysteries of this number sequence is how frequently it appears in nature -- at the center of a sunflower, on the skin of a pineapple, in the spiral shell of the Nautilus -- for example.

Campbell introduces readers to the sequence via photographs of flowers with petals that represent the numbers. This visual aid invites readers to predict the n
David Molnar
Sep 06, 2012 David Molnar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-math
A photographic essay, nicely arranged, with the appropriately modest goal of describing the role of Fibonacci numbers in nature. That's nature, so no rabbits here. Flowers, pineapples, pinecones, nautilus shells. I love this excerpt from the first page:

"The seed has built-in instructions for how
the plant will grow.
What shape will it be?
What size?
What color?"

There's not much more I can say without exceeding the number of words in the book. I don't know if I can say what the target age range is, b
Lbrown107
Apr 17, 2012 Lbrown107 rated it it was amazing
Numbers in nature! I love the integration of math and science concepts in the book. Children are so curious about the world and this book introduces names of flowers and their parts, such as stem and seed. Most of us are familiar with sunflowers, but we never stop to think about how many disk flowers are in the middle. I loved how this book introduced counting petals and counting spirals of things, such as seashells and snail shells. The activities that could correlate with this book are endless ...more
Janet
Apr 25, 2011 Janet rated it it was ok
I really wanted to give this one star! However, I did learn a few facts: how to pronounce Fibonacci--(fib-uh-NOTCH-ee); the pics showing the spirals in pinecones, pineapples,and sunflowers were good; the info on the golden ratio or golden rectangle is more interesting to me.
The number is 1.61803 which is a proportion in rectangles from the ancient Greeks. Perhaps my disatification with this title is there is no explanation as to why not all plants in nature conform to this pattern, while 90% may
Dec 01, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I am fascinated by the Fibonacci spiral, sequence and number. it plays such a big part in nature. This book shows children all about the spiral while teaching math and science in an easy to understand and fun way. For teachers looking for a "common core" book that will engage children, help them take first steps into an exciting area of knowledge this is a great book. The images are beautiful and can Be used as a starting point for a photography assignment as well.

Adults who want to understand t
Jodi
Sep 06, 2011 Jodi rated it it was amazing
I first saw this book when I was sitting in a presentation at the national NSTA convention a year or so ago. The presenter was showing us the 2010 NSTA-recognized science books of the year. This was one of them. She was raving about how she would be using it the next week in a workshop for teachers on integrating math and science. I can see why. The pictures are as engaging as those in Campbell's Wolfsnail, but the concept is much more sophisticated. It's a beautiful way to combine math and scie ...more
Cemeread
Jun 18, 2014 Cemeread rated it liked it
Shelves: ch-non-fiction
This is a difficult concept presented well in this book. I think some preschoolers could handle it up to about the pinecones. Swirls growing in a variety of directions. as they do on pinecones, sunflowers and pineapples, will lose many children. Overall this book is probably best for older elementary ages. That doesn't mean the first part of the book can't be used with younger children since it starts simply. It won't work well for groups as the photographs are very small for the first six pages ...more
Naomi
Nov 14, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing
This book shows pictures of flowers in various stages of growth. It is also interactive in the fact that it has the readers count the petals of each flower picture. It then proceeds to show how the growth of flowers is the Fibonacci sequence. It explains in simpler terms the Fibonacci sequence. It also mentions a (very) brief story of the sequence. It then shows the Fibonacci sequence in other places in nature. There is also a glossary.
Mjstroup
May 30, 2013 Mjstroup rated it really liked it
I thought this book did a great job of using real images and simple text to talk about the Fibonacci sequence. At times it seemed more math heavy than science and I thought that there could have been more of an infusion of science and nature that showed patterns. Although I liked the unique size of the book, it was only mentioned in back of the book about why it was that shape. I would have liked that information up front.
Nicole
May 15, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
I love the way this one illustrates Fibonacci patterns in nature. I've heard about the pattern appearing in pine cones, sunflowers, and pineapples, but this is the only book I've found that allows you to see the pattern by printing the different rows of bracts in alternating dark and light colors.

The book also points out that there are some plants and other naturally occurring shapes that do NOT have Fibonacci patterns.
Feb 21, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
A beautifully depicted and clearly explained book about Fibonachi numbers in nature. Kids with an interest in math will be delighted with the photographs and new ideas presented in this text. Recommended for students in grades 2 - 4. Though the language is fairly simple, the math concepts are best suited for kids in mid-elementary school.
Jen
Jun 18, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
The pictures in this book are fascinating and I think this title could be worked into a math/science class quite easily. The Fibonacci numbers were explained, but I get a little lost in numbers as math was never my thing and I know this was way over my 5 year old's head, but he did enjoy doing the counting that was asked describing the spirals and petals used in explaining the patterns.
Terry
Sep 19, 2010 Terry marked it as wish-list
Shelves: pb-informational
The title of Jennifer's review of Growing Patterns says it all: Hold On To Your Hats, this is a seriously cool new book.
Naomi
Sep 23, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
This is a counting book that small children will be able to return to as they grow and find something else new within. Through photographs and the invitation to count, Campbell invites readers on an appreciation for the Fibonacci sequence.
Kylee S
Sep 30, 2013 Kylee S rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I liked this book and I enjoyed how it incorporated mathematics. It talked about flowers and discussed the Fibonacci sequence. This book would be very useful for children but I think children too young would not understand it and probably lose focus.
Karan Johnstone
Jul 02, 2013 Karan Johnstone rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-read-alouds
I enjoyed the pictures of nature in this book. The Fibonacci numbers were interesting to read about. I think this is a little over my fourth graders heads but it would be a good book to read to them so they might make a text to world connection the next time they look at nature.
Bob
May 29, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it
Read this to get material for a talk, on math, to my grand daughter's 4th grade class. Her teacher wanted me to explain why math is important to learn, and Fibonacci numbers can lead to some really neat illustrations.
Marcie
Sep 28, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing
I probably loved this because of my math degree and background, but this was great fun and the simplest intro to Fibonacci numbers I've seen.
Megan
Dec 23, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book that visually, beautifully shows math (Fibonacci series) in nature. What's not to love? Worth an adult read, even if intended for kids.
Erin
Jun 14, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a great children's book that explains and illustrates the Fibonacci numbers using nature photography. I am sure that the children and parents will both enjoy this book.
Virginia Brace
Jul 02, 2010 Virginia Brace rated it it was amazing
Fibonacci Numbers in Nature...outstanding! Simple enough for even the youngest to observe as they begin to look at flowers and fruit.
Jeri
Aug 26, 2011 Jeri rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
An interesting way to introduce the Fibonacci series and even to talk about spirals and patterns in nature if you aren't ready to do Fibonacci yet. The pictures are very stimulating.
Liz
Mar 21, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Interesting. Beautifully photographed. I still don't really understand Fibonacci numbers, but I love that they are found in nature like that!
Sep 04, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Beautiful photography...and so nice to find a solid math-related picture book to share with students who are eager to learn "something different" in math!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »