Saturday at the New You

Saturday at the New You

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Saturday is Shauna's favorite day of the week, because that's the day she helps Momma at her beauty parlor. On this special Saturday, it's Shauna who comes up with the perfect style for a hard-please customer. Barber creates an inspiring story of real women in a warm, accepting atmosphere where "all hair is beautiful." Full color.
Published August 1st 1996 by Lee & Low Books (first published September 1994)

Lindsey Rogers
Saturday is Shauna's favorite day of the week because it is the day that she is allowed to help out at her mother's salon. One particular Saturday Shauna helps out one of the customers pick out a new hairstyle. She is so excited that the customer is happy. I think that I would use this book with students to teach them about being helpful. I would express how great it feels when you have helped someone and they could write about a time when they were helpful, or ways that they could be helpful in...more
Azriana Johnson
Saturday at the New You is about a little girl named Shauna who helps her mom at the hair salon every Saturday. This particular Saturday, Shauna helps a customer choose a hairstyle. This story could promote everyday helpfulness in the classroom. Also, students can share stories or pictures about an activity they do often with their families. The illustrations are all in color and gives the reader a feel of the mood of the story. When the young customer is unhappy, there is a picture of her pouti...more
Mekia
This book is about a little girl who loves to help her mother out at the hair salon. She is excited one day when she gets to make a suggestion for a hairstyle for one of the customers. This can be used to teach students to work together and help each other out or even make suggestions .
Julian
Award Winner- Children's Book Selection of the Year. Love the illustration and the rich tones. I believe it's a book that sincerely represents the strenghth of the African American Community; the hair parlor is a big part of our saturdays( it becomes a way of life).
Shelly Koressel
This is a good book when you want to share ideas, how sometimes having a new way to do things can really help. Great book. Preschool up to 3rd grade.
Zinnada Hodges
I enjoyed reading this book with one of my daughters who loves to help and style hair.
Tara Walker
Tara Walker marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Ma. Carizza
Ma. Carizza is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 29, 2014
Terry
Terry added it
Oct 31, 2013
Melissa Tweedy
Melissa Tweedy marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Allie's Basketball Dream Daddies Rushing River Melody of the Day Melody Of The Day