Encore Valentine (Valentine Trilogy, #2)

Encore Valentine (Valentine #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  7,807 ratings  ·  874 reviews
Adriana's dazzling new novel has a vibrant cast of memorable characters and lush backdrops of magical Manhattan and enchanting Italy.
Published April 29th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Ltd (first published 2010)

Angelc
I was lucky enough to win this book in a Goodreads First Reads contest. I had heard great things about the first book in this series, and jumped at the chance to read the sequel. The book is a funny but heartfelt story of a young Italian American woman trying to find herself against the backdrop of her large overbearing family and the family custom shoe business.

Valentine and her grandmother had been partners in running the Angellini Shoe Company as well as roommates in the apartment above the b...more
Alyssa
Dawn
None of Trigiani’s newer books has quite lived up to her original ‘Big Stone Gap’ trilogy for me. This latest offering, however, disappointed me the most. As this was the second book in a series, I’m familiar with and like the Roncalli / Angelini family, and their various friends and associates, but I felt like there was just too much ‘stuff’ going on in this book. I found many of the conflicts to be overly contrived, unnecessary to the larger story, and, often, much too easily resolved. I get t...more
Mary
Brava, Valentine begins on a day filled with happiness in Tuscany. The sparkling snow that falls reflects the spirit of the Roncalli/Angelini family. Their beloved matriarch Teodora is marrying Dominic Vechiarelli. The octogenarians kept their relationship a secret for many years but finally decided to marry. Adriana Trigiani had me laughing at the family antics as they prepare for the wedding. Dominic's son is at the wedding. Gianluca Vechiarelli made quite an impression on Valentine on her las...more
Karen
I'm a huge Trigiani fan, and I wanted to love this book. While it is an enjoyable read, filled with her trademark lively descriptions and characters, it lacked the believability of her other books. Valentine's relationship with Giancarlo, central to the novel, was almost absent of dialogue. I never really saw the connection between the two of them - just a few love letters and too few conversations. The brother's escapade felt like a cliche - we never get to know him well enough to understand ho...more
Mary
This is about the third or fourth book I have read by Adriana Trigiani. I have read all her Big Stone Gap books and look forward to the films that are being made about them.

This book was somehow connected to The Shoemaker's Wife. I think I should have read that one first, but I have it on my Nook to read now after I finish reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

This book was fun to read and I enjoyed all of the characters. It is about a family of Italian Americans from Queens, New York. The Grandpa...more
Diane
The author does terrific job creating characters whom the reader cares about. I like that Valentine doesn’t have it all figured it, that she struggles with family, career, love and friends. Even the minor characters are real and well-drawn, from June, the fabric cutter to Roberta, the new-found cousin to Pamela, the sister-in-law who doesn’t fit in.

Trigiani comes from a close-knit Italian family herself, and she excels at the family relationships and scenes. Everyone can relate to the family dyn...more
Kim Peterson
It sounded like a great book. Woman takes over the family business, finds true love and grows up emotionally, all at age 35. But I found the book riddled with stereotypes and disappointing characters.

--The loud, brash Italian family
--The gay best friend who has fabulous fashion and decorating taste and is there for supportive comments and text messages but otherwise has no story of his own
--The sexy, wise older love interest who has absolutely no sense of humor (because you can't be wise and be...more
Tiffunee
As Brava, Valentine begins, Valentine learns that Alfred, her only brother and nemesis, has been named her partner at Angelini Shoes. Devastated, Valentine falls into the arms of Gianluca, a sexy Tuscan tanner. Despite their passion for one another, a long-distance relationship seems impossible.

As Valentine turns away from romance and devotes herself to her work, Bret Fitzpatrick, her first love and former fiancée, encourages Valentine to exploit her full potential as a designer with a plan that...more
Gaby
Brava, Valentine is the fun, satisfying sequel to Very Valentine. Adriana Trigiani develops the characters and their relationships with sympathy and complexity.

With Teodora's wedding, Valentine is now the head of Angelini Shoe Company and working with her brother, Alfred. The sibling rivalry and resentment still exist, but their close proximity gives Valentine and Alfred a chance to see each other's strengths.

While Teodora and Dominic have married and have effectively retired, Valentine and Gian...more
Joanne
A contemporary love story with old-fashioned values too. I was hooked from
the first pages of this gem.

The story starts with the wedding of Valentine's grandmother on Valentine's
Day in Italy. It ends with Christmas Eve in NY’s Greenwich Village. The
family’s Thanksgiving scene is memorable.

Valentine comes for an Italian family of bridal shoe designers. This story
details her business expansion into a moderate priced line of ballet flats.
Her project includes dealing with her brother in a partnership...more
Cameran
Brava, Valentine is the perfect sequel because I enjoyed it even more than the first book! This is what all authors should aspire to do -- they should build off of plotlines set before and expand them along with the growth of their characters. Valentine’s growth in this novel was wonderful; as a reader I took so much from her journey to discover the necessity of love when creating art, as well as her transformation to being the boss of the Angelini Shoe Company. Another favorite character of min...more
Upon finishing the book, I had a strong and sudden urge to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Hmm.

There are just some jewels of sentences in this novel! Like this one: "Computer screens are lodged amid the old-world equipment, sticking out obstrusively like pay phones in the jungle." Love it. (= And the family scenes? Totally found myself tearing up, my heart breaking over the dynamic tension that leaped off the pages.

Also, I Wikipedia-ed a lot of things, such as some of the interior designers and...more
Fluffychick
After her grandma's marriage and move to Italy,Valentine Roncalli becomes joint owner of Angelini's Shoes with her brother, Alfred. Although not a partnership made in heaven, the determination to expand the business takes her to Buenos Aires to meet a long lost division of the family. Gianluca, her Italian leather tanner and part time love interest is on and off the scene, but her friends and families marriages are under strain too and will this affect the choices she makes?
I've read most of Adr...more
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
Reading an Adriana Trigiani book is like eating Godiva chocolate---decadent, delicious, and over way too quickly.

Brava, Valentine is Trigiani's best book yet, in my opinion. While her other books usually make me laugh a couple of times, Brava, Valentine had a lot more humor in it. I laughed, I cried, I finished the book in record time, totally satisfied. Trigiani has not yet released the name or publication date of the third book in the Valentine series, but Brava, Valentine does not employ a c...more
Sjcapanna
Rating chick-lit is like rating the taste of water: it could technically be really bad, but it's never going to be totally life-changing and interesting. Yet, like water, you need it sometimes. But still, bland.

This book is the second in a trilogy about an Italian family who owns the last mom-n-pop factory in Greenwich Village. They make custom wedding shoes. The first book was fun, getting caught up in the details of the pretty shoes and learning about the wacky family. I also appreciated a fem...more
Kendra
I love reading because sometimes a story can captivate your mind and take you to a different place entirely. Brava Valentine by Adriana Trigiani did just that for me this past week. I know nothing about high end fashion, shoemaking, Italy, Buenos Aires, or cannoli, but with the wonderful descriptions in this book I was able to visualize a little bit about each of these exotic topics without any problem whatsoever, and I had so much fun doing it!

This is a soft romance novel. The tale is predictab...more
I scored a free copy of this book courtesty of a< href="http://www.bookclubgirl.com/book_club... Club Girl, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved it! It's typically not a book I would have grabbed off the shelf on my own, but now I find myself wanting to get my hands on all things Adriana Trigiani. The book is a second in a series (I didn't read the first; I don't think it's necessary) following the sleek, sophisticated Valentine Roncalli.

Valentine had plans to take over the cus...more
Marcia
Brava, Valentine, the follow-up to Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, continues the story of the Angelini family and shoemaker Valentine Roncalli. The story opened crisply and reminded me of how much I enjoyed Very Valentine. Unfortunately, a couple of the plot lines bogged down; however, the need to know how things turn out kept this reader slogging along. I believe I read somewhere that Valentine's story would be a trilogy, but I'm not sure how much more there is to tell about her and the Ange...more
Vickie
WOWEE wow wow!! I thought BIG STONE GAP was my favorite book written by Adriana Trigiani, but it is now second after having listened to BRAVA, VALENTINE. I was in love with VERY VALENTINE and became enraptured with this second of the trilogy. Now I really can't wait to see what happens in the third one whenver that one comes out. I will get it as an audiobook, too. Hell, I may go get everything Trigiani has written as an audiobook! Especially if Cassandra Campbell is narrating.
Campbell is big p...more
Francesca Miroballi
I have always enjoyed Trigiani's books, mostly because I can relate to the Italian-American story lines, family sagas, ect. Up until now, my favorite book of hers has been Lucia, Lucia; however, Brava, Valentine has changed the stakes...I think it is because I relate so much to the main character, Valentina, that I now rate this is my number 1 favorite read from Trigiani.

Trigiani has written a plethora of novels and is an expert in writing about her own experiences growing up in an Italian-Amer...more
Janet
I enjoyed the cast of characters in this book very much - unfortunately, I didn't read Very Valentine first, so perhaps I was a little behind on the action. This was a fun "chick lit" book (can't admit that I'd read "romance"). I loved the overseas locales - take me to Italy and Buenos Aires. But at times I wanted to knock some sense into Val - if love came to me in a package wrapped up like Gianluca, I wouldn't grouse that I was too busy with work and not ready for a relationship right now. but...more
Karetchko
When I first picked this up at the library, I thought to myself, "did I already read this?" but it turns out that this is the second book about a custom shoemaker named Valentine. It would probably work best to read both Valentine books back to back; I didn't remember everything from the last one (especially some of the secondary characters). Valentine sometimes acts like an idiot in her relationships and blames her work--it happened in the last book and it happens again in this one--but in a wa...more
Jan
Book #2. I so enjoyed reading "Very Valentine" that I had to order Brava Valentine to see what was going to happen to Valentine and the shoe business.

Story line, off to Italy the large American Italian Family go for Grans wedding. Selfishly Grans miserable sister spoils the wedding day as she is jealous of Gran.
Valentine falls for her mothers new step brother hard and visa-verso. However, it is very debatable if a trans-Atlantic romance will survive.

Clearing out Grans stuff at the apartment, Val...more
Keturah
This was the second of three books in Trigiani's most recent series about Italian-Americans. I did not really like the first book in the series (Very Valentine) and I'm not a huge fan of this book either. I don't find Valentine to be a likable or very interesting main character. I am much more fond of the supporting cast of characters including Valentine's mother, her best friend, and her sisters.
Melinda
As I said in my review of the first novel in this trilogy, Very Valentine, that I messed up a bit. Not knowing that it was the third book in the trilogy, I read The Supreme Macaroni Company first, which means that I went into both Very Valentine and Brava, Valentine knowing how everything ends up. Because of this, I probably didn't experience this book as I should. So, read my thoughts with that in mind.

Frankly, I love the character of Valentine. She's irreverent, flawed, and heartfelt. She does...more
Suzanne
Loved this book! Finally Adriani is back in true form with this follow up story about Valentine. The characters were well developed... and I am now planniny my trip to Buenos Aires & New York... I guess I will go to Italy as well :) Seriously, I love how she writes, I love her character, and I love the plot. Kept me going all the way though to the final page.
Diane
Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Challenges read for: Goodreads, EBook, Women Authors

Book cover: Lovely as always

I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy, Very Valentine, and loved this--the second! AT has developed her characters beautifully -- even stiff, unmoving brother Alfred into a family we could call our own. The Angelini's and Roncalli's are warm and funny, boisterous and nosey, but also loving in a way only a close-knit family can be.

Valentine finds herself without her mento...more
Barbara
I have just finished this book and I loved it. I can visualize the location, the characters. The family dynamics she creates are funny and sad at the same time. It follows "Very Valentine". It also leaves the door open for another in the series. I do not know if I would recommend it to any of you readers, but it was a great escape for me.
  • Broke Heart Blues
  • Life After Yes
  • The Three Weissmanns of Westport
  • I Still Dream About You
  • American Girls about Town
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter (Dixie, #1)
  • Folly Beach (Lowcountry Tales, #8)
  • Raising Jake
  • Good Enough to Eat
  • Legacy
  • A Single Thread (Cobbled Quilt #1)
  • The Love Letter
  • The Debutante
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
  • Secrets of Eden
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
  • A Vintage Affair
Bestselling author Adriana Trigiani is beloved by millions of readers around the world for her hilarious and heartwarming novels. Adriana was raised in a small coal-mining town in southwest Virginia in a big Italian family. She chose her hometown for the setting and title of her debut novel, the critically acclaimed bestseller Big Stone Gap. The heartwarming story continues in the novel's sequels...more
More about Adriana Trigiani...
The Shoemaker's Wife Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #1) Big Cherry Holler (Big Stone Gap, #2) Lucia, Lucia Very Valentine

“A handwritten letter carries a lot of risk. It's a one-sided conversation that reveals the truth of the writer. Furthermore, the writer is not there to see the reaction of the person he writes to, so there's a great unknown to the process that requires a leap of faith. The writer has to choose the right words to express his sentences, and then, once he has sealed the envelope, he has to place those thoughts in the hands of someone else, trusting that the feelings will be delivered, and that the recipient will understand the writer's intent. How childish to think that could be easy.” 29 likes
“Two different things. Work is survival, and love sustains you. You have work anytime. But love? Not always.” 13 likes