Start by marking “Insidious” as Want to Read:
Insidious

Insidious (Synchronicity Trilogy #1)

Leaked stories of strange new rules and codes of behavior indicate something's gone sour in the deep space retreats of the superrich corporate execs. Some say that it's only the eccentricities of the powerful leaders of capitalistic society. But others speak of dark, twisted rituals, human slavery and illegal experiments in banned technologies.

Bren Marcken is a robot handl
Published January 8th 2010 by iUniverse.com

To ask other readers questions about Insidious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insidious

Glenn
Jun 20, 2013 Glenn rated it really liked it
This is the first book of a trilogy, but this trilogy actually has a reason for being three books, more than that the author wanted to sell three books. What I mean to say is that it's not just one very long story. The trilogy is available for Kindle as "Synchronicity Omnibus".

I really enjoyed this series, and the author's writing style and character development is better than some of my other recent sci-fi readings. I also read his Trilisk novel. I will be reading more McCloskey in the future (
Jarien Sky
Apr 25, 2013 Jarien Sky rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of hard SF or political/spy thrillers
Edit: I read the 2009 print of Insidious published by iUniverse. Apparently this was an earlier (self-published?) version and not the final edit. The author actually sent me a message asking which print I read and explaining that to me. He was very nice and courteous about it. I'm sure some of the issues that I had with the prose were addressed with the final edited version. I'm leaving my original review intact, but keep in mind as you read that this was not the final edit, and I did not know t ...more
Kio
Dec 01, 2011 Kio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
Evil AI books usually come off as far too cheesy. But I liked this one.
And the "evil" AI isn't the central story, more of an important backdrop to the main events.
Could have maybe used just a little more character development. There were some good hints of depth to them but most didn't get much camera time. Even the ones that did...

Anyway, cool little book.

Sad ending...
The one who came out of it the best is the character I dislike the most :/
Laz the Sailor
Apr 18, 2012 Laz the Sailor rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is a pretty clever hard-scifi story that mixes several different themes - and blends them pretty well. The story develops along 3 fronts, but is not confusing. There is a military presence, but it's much more of a political thriller than a war novel. The language is consistent most of the time, with a few anachronistic references, and not overly burdened with techno-babble. The story ends abruptly, and I assume there is a sequel, which I will now hunt for.
Frédéric
Feb 12, 2017 Frédéric rated it really liked it
Shelves: cyberpunk, book-2017
Good cyberpunk story, first of a trilogy I will continue for sure.

The world around is cold war-like (West vs China), IAs being a huge potential threat (Marseilles was razed to prevent one to take control) but a necessary evil in certain cases. Corporations develop their schemes in huge space stations, the United Nation Space Force tries to maintain law the best they can.

3 very different characters (UNSF, corporation spy, corporation upstart) with very different objectives get involved in a plo
Clay
Aug 24, 2015 Clay rated it liked it
Three intertwined stories of a corporate spy, an ambitious corporate exec, and a space force commander. There is little actual interaction between the three characters, but they are all caught up in trying to find out what the global corporations are hiding out in their deep-space stations. It all turns out to be much bigger than just getting a leg up on the competition. Good, fast paced action in a near future world where corporations have all but replaced regional governments.

There was part of
Dodie Reed
Apr 02, 2012 Dodie Reed rated it really liked it
This is the start of a really good series. I could hardly put it down. There are two main characters, a super spy that works for the big corporations and a space force officer that controls the heavy duty robots when they are put into action. They are working against an alien force that has taken control of a large number of deep space stations. The action is fierce and yet the book is a book of people and their emotions, not just action.
Gregory Close
Jun 15, 2011 Gregory Close rated it really liked it
Some very interesting Sci-Fi concepts but I felt the story was rushed and could have use a little more narrative, character and setting development. All things considered it was a fun read, and I especially enjoyed the U.N. Space Force story arc, but it fell a little short of being great. That's mostly frustrating because I think it deserved to be great. That said, I will look forward to reading the next entry in the trilogy.
Tyko Brising
Jun 17, 2013 Tyko Brising rated it really liked it
Ok read. Could need a bit more development of the characters. Would like to see more of the AIs perspective, maybe a follow up book where it could develop further? Really a three star book but I give an extra for the interesting portrayal of the AI.
Story: ***
Characters: **
Environment: ***
Novelty: ****
Tech: ****
Dialog: ***
Shelley Jones
Aug 13, 2012 Shelley Jones rated it really liked it
This book exhibited creative and interesting world building. I also really enjoyed the characters and the different methods of combat that were described. It was a really exciting read and I could barely put it down. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in this series!
Trae Brookins
Sep 12, 2013 Trae Brookins rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not bad at all. Fun with action (and sex). Some interesting.scifi concepts. I might read another of these in the future for some light fun.
Peter
Aug 12, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read. The universe McCloskey has created is incredibly rich and detailed and as ever has plenty to keep you guessing right up to the final chapter!
SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer)
Pretty good AI story with an interesting twist.
John Trad
Okay read

Lots of act ion a lot of jumping from one key player to another which made it interesting to read. All the characters had much the same goal but each acted in a different way when faced with the challenges that make it a good read the only thing I didn't like was to many good guys with each out to fulfill their own agenda so not got a little confusing. But it did show human nature as it is
Patricia
Sep 23, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
If you like reading long and detailed descriptions of robots fighting each other, you might really like this book, as it is well written. At least, what I read was well-written. I tried twice to read this book but never got farther than 16% in. The entire first 10% was a play-by-play of robots with AI cores fighting each other to take over a space ship. I found it exceedingly boring.
Yuugian
Yuugian rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Chris Johnson
Chris Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
C A
C A rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Jess Cook
Jess Cook rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Jamie Mitchell
Jamie Mitchell rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2014
Omar Ontiveros
Omar Ontiveros rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Travis Masonheimer
Travis Masonheimer rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Stuart McMillan
Stuart McMillan rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2015
Michael Van
Michael Van rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
T
T rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Long
Long rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2016
James Beggerly
James Beggerly rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2014
Dj Gilcrease
Dj Gilcrease rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Imdanield
Imdanield rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to City and Suburban Survival
  • Letter 44, Volume 2: Redshift
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • You Are a Cat!
  • Magical Use of Thought Forms: A Proven System of Mental & Spiritual Empowerment
  • The Last Weekend: A Novel of Zombies, Booze, and Power Tools
  • Fiasco
  • The Empire (The Empire #1)
  • Low Magick: It's All in Your Head ... You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is
  • La reina sin nombre
  • Hands-On Chaos Magic: Reality Manipulation Through the Ovayki Current
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • Prime Chaos: Adventures in Chaos Magic
  • Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success
  • Blackjack Villain (The Blackjack Series, #1)
  • Wizard of the Pigeons
  • How to Develop a Perfect Memory
I am a software engineer in Silicon Valley who dreams of otherworldly creatures, mysterious alien planets, and fantastic adventures. I'm also an indie author with over 80,000 sales.

You can subscribe to announcements of my new releases here: http://eepurl.com/nExcb
More about Michael McCloskey...

Synchronicity Trilogy (3 books)
  • Industrious