The Doonesbury Chronicles

The Doonesbury Chronicles

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In 1975, for the first time in the history of journalism awards, the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning went to a comic strip: Garry Trudeau's nationally syndicated Doonesbury.

"It is not only the best comic strip, but the best satire that's come along in a long time."
—Art Buchwald

Carried today by over 350 North American newspapers, Doonesbury's unique blend of social-...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 1975 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston

To ask other readers questions about The Doonesbury Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doonesbury Chronicles

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonCalvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Comic Strip Collections
22nd out of 182 books — 26 voters
The Horse's Mouth by Joyce CaryA Division of the Spoils by Paul ScottThe Day of the Scorpion by Paul ScottThe Best of Philip K. Dick by Philip K. DickThe Towers of Silence by Paul Scott
REALLY Underrated Books (Fewer than 1,000 Ratings)
340th out of 2,848 books — 1,112 voters

More lists with this book...

Valerie
This is a plain hardcover with no dust jacket. There's an introduction by George Wills, and a preface by the author.

This collection starts with what must have been the very first of the cartoons published in the Yale college newspaper. The end is a group of color cartoons, probably Sunday strips from different times.

The small collections this book anthologizes were of a size that they often went astray. Collecting them into a larger book makes them more easily curatable.

I've tried to read Doone...more
thegift
i was probably about 10 when i first read him, 11 when i bought this book, a fan ever since. many jokes of course were beyond me, but the fictional family of walden puddle commune is a place i like to revisit every few years when one of these larger format collections is published.
Mza
Nov 05, 2011 Mza rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mza by: Nobody
This 1975 Doonesbury compilation -- selected from the strip's first years (1970-75) -- took me 16 months to read because I couldn't get excited about it as entertainment or as anthropological time travel. Trudeau's jokes and voice haven't aged well in the same way that I imagine the voices and jokes of the friends on Friends won't age well -- something too cute and self-ritualizing about the way they talk and formulate sarcasm, something monolithic about their back-and-forths that disrupts the...more
Adam
I'm a huge fan of comic strips in general, so it's curious to me that I've never been able to get into "Doonesbury." Occasionally, I would catch the strip in the newspaper, but I never connected to the characters and never found any sort of narrative to latch on to.

This book, which collects the earliest years of the strip, has helped me piece together the mystery. I love character-driven strips, and I can appreciate political cartoons, but Trudeau could never fully commit to either. Very often,...more
f
Years ago, after getting my daily fix of 'calvin & hobbes', and needing to avoid doing my job for a few more minutes, i'd usually read doonesbury, be bored with it, and wonder why, as a progressive, i felt somehow obligated to appreciate it. then i'd usually move on to wonder who the fuck was left on earth who finds 'family circus' or 'little orphan annie' entertaining, how much power they must have, and a chill would penetrate my very bones.

was i not giving doonesbury a chance?

so, to correc...more
Pascal Lapointe
Les débuts de cette B.D. américaine qui, depuis 1970, colle à l'actualité d'une façon étonnante. Parfois cynique, parfois burlesque, l'auteur parvient toujours à se renouveler, de Nixon à Bush, de la Chine de Mao jusqu'aux cavernes de l'Afghanistan, entre le féminisme des années 1970 et les écologistes des années 2000... Si vous lisez les plus anciens livres, comme celui-ci, c'est une leçon d'histoire. Si vous lisez les plus récents, c'est une leçon de science politique.
Robert
Feb 05, 2011 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
My sister gave me this anthology and the other Doonesbury book I have. This would have been circa 1981. I loved these books at the time. I thought this strip was the most innovative thing ever. Of course, Trudeau changed after a while and his liberal stuff really turned me off.

This is his classic work, however, and well worth the time to explore Walden Puddle.
Rick Segers
I used to own dozens of the small format collections but over the years I actually donated them to a rummage sale and bought the larger collections. I loaned my copy of this to a friend and it was never returned. I have replaced it a few years ago and enjoyed the reading all the early days of Doonesbury.
Mti Librarian
A collection of the first couple years of Doonesbury comic strips. This collection is not inclusive and skips over some comics and story archs. It does include lots of the Nixon strips and also a cameo by current VP Joe Biden.
Doug
As a teen in the 80s, I'd sit and read this over and over while listening to Neil Young's Decade......that about sums me up.
Dan Weiss
These are the strips written before I
was born so it was great to see all the first appearances of time-honored characters.
Tim
The very first Doonesbury....interesting to see how the characters have evolved over time.
Joe Johnston
The best cartoon ever written, bar none. I read this compendium during 9th grade.
Douglas Wilson
Excellent. Just great. Also read in April of 1981.
Mom's Books
Don't think I have the exact title...
Muskman
Muskman marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
  • In Search of The Far Side
  • Politically, Fashionably, and Aerodynamically Incorrect: The First Outland Collection
  • My Crowd
  • May the Force Be With Us, Please: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Shave the Whales
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
  • The Boondocks: Because I Know You Don't Read the Newspaper
Garretson Beekman "Garry" Trudeau is an American cartoonist, best known for the Doonesbury comic strip. In 1970, Trudeau's creation of Doonesbury was syndicated by the newly formed Universal Press Syndicate. Today Doonesbury is syndicated to almost 1,400 newspapers worldwide and is accessible online in association with Slate Magazine at doonesbury.com. In 1975, he became the first comic strip arti...more
More about G.B. Trudeau...
Doonesbury's Greatest Hits Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years 40: A Doonesbury Retrospective Recycled Doonesbury The People's Doonesbury: Notes from Underfoot, 1978-1980