Hylozoic

Hylozoic

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  16 reviews
After the Singularity, everyone and everything is sentient and telepathic. Aliens notice and invade Earth. In Rucker’s last novel, Postsingular, the Singularity happened and life on Earth was transformed by the awakening of all matter into consciousness and into telepathic communication. The most intimate moments of your life can be experienced by anyone who cares to pay a...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Tor Books

Malcolm Christiansen
When I saw this story was set in a post-singularity world, I was bracing myself for a horrible nerdy wankfest. But this book manages to avoid that! The author makes good use of their setting and produces a pretty original and interesting sci-fi universe.

The big weakness of this book is the character interactions. The author has a tin ear for human dialogue, every character (from teenagers to aliens) sounds exactly the same, and some interactions simply don't make sense.

The book is also weirdly p...more
Peter
After the events of Postsingular, not only can every human on Earth teleport and use telepathy, every bit of matter on the planet, from a stream, to the individual droplets in the stream, to the individual atoms that make it up, has its own consciousness and can be communicated with. Rocks can implore you not to move them, or they may ask to be made into a wall next to other rocks they like. But this new world has attracted the attention of other alien races, who wish to exploit the newly hylozo...more
Julia
Prepare for a multi-dimensional mind-bend. Though it took some time to really get into this novel--Rucker fills the first chapters with geeky descriptions of all the cool new powers the denizens of his future earth posess, like a fan at a convention, as if to say, don't you wish you lived here?--once the plot warmed up it took off running. By the end you are a convert and an expert on teleportation, sub-dimensional navigation, and the hazards of getting hooked on Alien substances. I don't so muc...more
Drew Morris
I couldn't finish it. I went to a bookstore and the guy working was super friendly but they didn't have what I was after. I forget what title I was looking for that day but I told the guy I like hard scifi like Asimov and the like for some reason he recommended this to me and yeah, it opens with a reality show of some sort... not exactly hard scifi. And it's not the authors fault in the least I just didn't enjoy any aspect of the book within the first dozen pages or show. It felt very tween and...more
Norm
Hylozoic manages to build on the characters and situations in Postsingular in such a way that it increased my enjoyment of the first book. However, I got the sinking feeling 30 pages from the end that I was reading a mid-trilogy book. I couldn't really see how he was going to manage to wrap it up before I hit the back cover, but he manages to pull it off and the story comes to a satisfying conclusion.

To paraphrase the final paragraph: "It's all tangled up, It dosen't make enough sense, but it is...more
Mark CB
So much fun, super easy & quick to read, chock full of thick ideas about life, the universe, and everything. I think I enjoyed Postsingular more as a novel, but this was just as good a reading experience. I'd recommend it to anyone who has an interest in quantum mechanics, weird science, cosmic spirituality, occultism, aliens, nature, art, and computers. Basically if you live in the silicon valley you will 'get' this book.
Kylie
This is wacky in a way that I really like. It's like he takes all of the trends going on in human culture and shows us what kind of future they are trending towards. And that future is not horrible. It's a fun romp of a book with no great character development and a plot that only sort of makes sense, but it's funny and full of interesting ideas.
Kelli
I guess this book is not a standalone like I thought it was. Oh, well. Hylozoic is so awful I couldn't make it past chapter four, so I don't care what I might have missed in the earlier book.
Pat
A quick and enjoyable read, refreshing after my last book which a bit of a slog. I love me some Rudy Rucker!
Scott
More fantasy than science fiction really, but still terrifically wild
Ben
Zany fun, as usual. This is a sequel to Postsingular.
Steven Farmer
This is my favorite Rudy Rucker novel.
Jeff Bridges
great book Rudy Rucker is the best!
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Robobobo
Robobobo marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Andrei
Andrei marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...
Software (Ware, #1) Wetware (Ware, #2) Freeware (Ware, #3) Postsingular Realware (Ware, #4)