Start by marking “Fireheart (Chay Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fireheart (Chay Trilogy, #1)

Fireheart (Chay Trilogy #1)

Five thousand years from now, mankind is still waging battles fueled by the same hatreds that destroyed their ancestors. A solar system that once thrived is now on the brink of ruin.

But a seed of hope lies in the unexpected passions of two warriors: Lt. Vin-Chay, the second son of a crown prince on Osiron, and his captor, Pyke, a commander of Ptolemii forces.

At first, th

Published November 6th 2007 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about Fireheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fireheart

Midnight
Aug 16, 2011 Midnight rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-aside
I love sci-fi and so, I was excited to read this book, especially when I saw that it was a long one. However, I have to say that I am quite disappointed with it.

It started out all right, even though there were a few info dumps that I skimmed over because honestly, they were a bit boring and confusing. The world building is a bit clumsy, I have to say, but the characters seemed interesting. In the beginning, I liked them both, they came off strong, smart and I could see a lot of potential in thei
Ayanna
Apr 01, 2013 Ayanna marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-maybe
Join these two warriors and feel their uncontrollable passion as they battle each other, their families, hidden enemies, and a brutal totalitarian government to strike a balance between duty and love. Enter the fantastic world of Fireheart.

...

Argh. Blurb tackiness.
Lala
This book was too long, too low on steam (mega sad-face here), a bit soap-operish, and overall should have bored me to death and be dnf-ed. Instead, I read it for days, never giving up, and basically, savoring each word. I fell in love with Pyke and Vin-Chay and their family and friends.

Spanning almost a decade of the heroes' lives, the story was an epic saga of love, loss, war and revolution and was at times frustrating, inspiring and really bittersweet.

Can't wait to read more.
Magnolia
The story was a little hard to get into at first. This is the type of read where you need to pay attention to every little detail. The author has created such a unique world, but there is a lot to learn about it. Different planets, the people who reside on each planet. They all have their own language and it gets a little confusing to remember which character goes with which planet and their customs/rules.
I already love Pyke and Vin Shay. Such opposites, enemies even. Though I have so much compa
Xing
May 05, 2013 Xing added it
I think my expectation for this book didn't match up to the reality of it. I will have to put this one aside and not rate it, as doing so would be unfair. The writing was too much "tell" and not enough "show." The book up to 19% couldn't make me feel any visceral emotions despite the amount of activity that has occurred. The insta-attraction that Pyke felt towards Vin-Chay couldn't really be explained except for Vin-Chay's "blue eyes." There is companionship that occurs, then a sort of "betrayal ...more
Tais-nar
Sep 04, 2015 Tais-nar rated it really liked it
3.5

Основные претензии - не хватило антагонизма, нескольких эмоциональных сцен и более информативного секса.
Snowtulip
Sep 16, 2011 Snowtulip rated it really liked it
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Fehu
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, own
4.5

Whew, what a journey! This story had me emotionally up and down. A good fantasy must have extensive world building and this story provided me a world that I felt I was fully immersed in. The physical attributes of the landscape on the planets were so well developed and provided a great foundation for the social and political backdrop for the story. The primary and secondary characters were fully developed and everyone played a pivotal role somehow within the story. The emotional spectrum from
M
I love sprawling sci-fi sagas, and I enjoyed this book. This very, very lengthy book. It's quite a complex story involving an evil empire, a noble family, antagonistic protagonists, hurt, betrayal, forgiveness, redemption, love and wicked space battles. I would have given it full marks, if not for the weird, stilted quality of the writing. Giroux writes with such restraint that it almost comes out as blandly clinical. Something terrible would happen and I was just, like: "Oh. Okay. That sucks." ...more
Tasha
Sep 25, 2011 Tasha rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, sci-fi, 3-stars
Very good...but more on the side of I-can't-wait-to-see-what-happens than I'm-loving-every-minute-of-this-and-will-definitely-read-it-again.
SueM
Okay... Well, I like long novels and this one definitely was with 660 pages! I really enjoyed this one but will admit that it's definitely not for everyone. It is dark and brutal for much of it, with abuse of power being a major theme whether in small actions or in large world wide events. It clearly illustrates that duty at all costs can override humanity with devastating effect; where an individual's best intentions gets smothered under the burden of command. It also highlights that an individ ...more
Reflection
Jul 23, 2014 Reflection rated it it was amazing
Fireheart is exactly why I read slave fiction genre, this sci-fi plot provides an excellent exploration of the morality of power and the dynamics of submission and of pain, loss,
love and forgiveness. The different philosophical perspectives of the protagonists is well portrayed as they struggle with expectations of conformity, duty and identity.

Themes of power are a significant element both personally and politically. The character development and growth is believable and the world building is
Josephine
Jun 18, 2017 Josephine rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF'd at 17% (page 278/1641)

The writing just fell flat for me. There was a lot of info-dumping and very little in the way of character insight
Damian Lam
Jun 15, 2015 Damian Lam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, m-m
Fireheart is one of those gems you find at the bottom of the pit.

The book revolves around commander Pyke and the Osiron prince, Vin-Chay. The book spans several years of their lives from how they first met, to when they lived together and the ups and downs that come along with it. Mark my word, if you wish for a steamy m/m novel, be sure to be disappointed. While there are sex reads, this slows down starting somewhere midway in part two (or slows down in part three, I apologize for forgetting)
Fehu

Still my favorite sci-fi read, the relationship is very complex and it takes a lot of time and trust to develop. The worlds are lovingly constructed and it's a pleasure to discover.
That said, it's not an easy book to read, the relationship develops from a situation of captivity and slavery, while they get to the point of eqaulity, it's a long and painful way, for both characters. So there is at least a dub-con warning and the warning for violence and torture shouldn't be ignored either.
It's one
Lola
May 03, 2011 Lola rated it really liked it
Amazing book. Lost of detail and good plot. BUT Certain character are not really logically human, if that makes sense. I guess certain response from the character are a bit strange...and that kind of turns the romance part down by quite a bit....
Katie
Mar 09, 2015 Katie rated it did not like it
confused and bored. my entire emotions through this book, however, I will admit I didn't read it all after the first few chapters I simply gave up trying to finish this one so perhaps, it did get better but my review is not based on the whole book, but on the part that I did read.
Kiki
Mar 23, 2011 Kiki rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
I really enjoyed this one, although there are a couple of lengthy (and boring) info-dump sections in which the history, etc. is clumsily inserted into the story. But the parts that work -- the characters and the story -- work very well.
Maggie Borgula
Oct 02, 2014 Maggie Borgula rated it really liked it
3.5 stars This was an enjoyable read most of the time. The other times it felt like a chore to keep reading, with a lot of fillers and changing of POVs.
Eve
Aug 29, 2011 Eve rated it it was amazing
The writing is kinda clunky, but the good meaty story makes up for it.
Gwengwel
Dec 10, 2011 Gwengwel marked it as never-never-never
I read Midnight's review.
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Sonia
Sonia rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Chance
Chance rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
Tarah
Tarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2017
Jacinda
Jacinda rated it liked it
May 12, 2015
Jerss
Jerss rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2012
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Matt Redds
Matt Redds rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Reifu Rising
  • Heroes & Ghosts
  • Different Senses
  • Storms and Stars
  • The Falcon Banner (The Falcon Banner Cycle, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Aklesh
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • This War of Ours (Garnet, #1)
  • Tentacles for the Brides Bouquet
  • The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate (Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse #1)
  • Death's Head (Narc, #1)
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Pandora Project: Runaway Star
  • Desert World Allegiances (Desert World, #1)

Chay Trilogy (3 books)
  • Whitefire (Chay Trilogy, #2)
  • Firesoul (Chay Trilogy, #3)