Start by marking “Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA, 1981-1987” as Want to Read:
Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA, 1981-1987

Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA, 1981-1987

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  589 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Veil is the story of the covert wars that were waged in Central America, Iran and Libya in a secretive atmosphere and became the centerpieces and eventual time bombs of American foreign policy in the 1980s.
Published April 15th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veil

Lona
حديث الذكريات

قرأت هذا الكتاب في سنوات مراهقتي، فعلياً هو أول تجربة قراءة في عالم السياسة هذا بالإضافة لحجمه الضخم نسبياً في ذلك العمر، ولهذا كانت قراءته مغامرة أو هكذا شعرت في تلك المرحلة وخصوصاً أن الكتاب عن "وكالة المخابرات الأمريكية" في فتره حُكم ريغان

كتابة مراجعة عنه بعد كل هذه السنين أمر صعب وغير منصف أبداً لأني سأتصفح الكتاب لأتذكر ما فيه، ولكن كتابة الانطباع المتبقي في نفسي عنه كلما لمحته في مكتبة المنزل وعن تلك السنين أمر سهل جداً، لأنها ذكريات محفورة داخلي ولهذا ستكون هذه المراجعة عن ال
Riley
A book on the dirty covert wars of the Reagan era, this has the usual Bob Woodward saws: insider gossip, palace intrigue and a few scoops along the way. I have a lot of problems with Woodward's method, since so much of what he offers ends up being the self-serving perspectives of those whose access he must have to write his books.

One passage I underlined, which is classic Woodward and modern journalism, describing the relationship between CIA director William and deputy director Max Hugel, both
Brad Smith
Bob Woodward's look into the Reagan administration's secret intelligence operations in Nicaragua during the 1980s. Woodward characterizes Director of Central Intelligence Bill Casey as a zealot doing the wrong things for the right reasons. Casey believed that the Soviets were primarily responsible for funding of terrorism. However, this may have been CIA black propaganda itself that led to this conclusion.

As the 1980s dawned and Reagan stepped into power, the Americans had suffered a number of
Caroline
Long, detailed, yet fascinating account of the covert ops in Latin America and the Middle East in the 80s, including the politics, personnel, and media coverage.
Michael
I will be blunt and honest on this: this book bored me to tears. I like Bob Woodward. I like the reading of espionage. But somehow the two didn't work together here. It also has something to do, I think, with how Woodward concentrated on the inside politics themselves and not international espionage itself. But that's just how Woodward writes. Nevertheless, I don't recommend it.
Donna Davis
I couldn't wait to read what I was certain would be incisive journalistic discovery and reporting by one of the famed Watergate reporters (the other being Carl Bernstein). The account was well written, but there was a veil over the reporting as well as the CIA activities. The title is fierce, but the reader might sense that somewhere along the line, Woodward was taken aside and told that not every cause was a great one, that he would seem somehow more credible if he equivocated, didn't show too ...more
Joe
The book, instead of being called The Secret Wars of the CIA should have been called, how DCI Casey Dealt with the Secret Wars of the CIA. Short on actual detail about the dealings, the repercussions, and the actual on the ground information, it was a political book. A book focused on the insiders of Washington trying to cover what they were doing and how they did it. I found that to be interesting, but not what I had expected or wanted from the book. The only "secret war" focused on in brief pa ...more
Matt
This book is long and detailed (maybe a little bit too detailed) and gives insight into how the intelligence organizations in the United States really work.

Emboldened by a newly elected president Ronald Reagan and a newly appointed Director of Central Intelligence, the CIA used the cold war and fears of communism to gain support from the public for covert activities around the world.

Because of a somewhat rocky relationship with Congress, the CIA often couldn't find legal ways to accomplish wha
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Resistance fighters" in need of funding.
Shelves: cia, history
Bob Woodward's "Veil" is a history of the CIA's involvement in secret wars, particularly in Central America, under the direction of William J. Casey. The revelations are startling, and coming after CIA admissions exposed during the Church inquiries of the late 70's, the book's account of potentially illegal activities on the part of the agency are entirely believable if not astonishingly brazen. Although many critics claim Woodward had to have invented or fabricated some of his interviews in the ...more
Steve
Although I enjoyed the look-back into Iran-Contra and all the conflicts leading up to big event, this was a very rough read for me. I love reading Woodward, but this book was different than other Woodward books -- it seemed that I could only read 25-30 pages during a sitting as it slowly reconstructed events in Central America, Libya, Israel, Iran and other spots that lead to Iran-Contra. It was also a focus on Casey, who Ronald Reagan appointed as CIA Director. From is appointment as director i ...more
John
This wasn't quite as well written as Woodward's later book that I also read recently, on the Iraq War, but it was pretty good nonetheless. Makes Reagan out to have been pretty out of it. According to this, he installed his guy at the CIA, gave him pretty much carte blanche to mess around just about everywhere, and then paid no attention. He only worked Mon through Thurs afternoon! Crazy.
It's also interesting to read about a time when we felt we had to fight the commies in every backwards corner
Paul Danahar
Am a big fan of Woodward's books because once he starts writing one US sources fall over themselves to get their version of events out there. That means the level of detail he produces about policy making in the US gov is fantastic.
Cullen Hencke
Interesting to read an "insider's" guide from a time period when I was in pre-school. Perhaps, as a result, not as enjoyable as it might've been otherwise... Though that's certainly not Woodward's fault.
John
An intriguing look "behind the scenes" of the CIAs covert operations in the 1980s and the political, policy and philosophical battles that went into them. Does the intelligence service exist to simply gather intelligence so policy makers can set policy and determine actions or does it exist to undertake actions to influence events outside our borders? That much covert action focused on Central America during the cold war of course made the read all the more interesting since I live in Central Am ...more
Kirk Bower
Reagan? Scandal? Get out! I like Woodward's stuff...this one took me longer to get through. Very detailed, but an interesting read.
Pat Murphy
A little difficult to read. Woodward has a rep for knowing what he writes about but I couldn't find much excitement in this book.
Tom Schulte
This work bristles with detail on Reagan era CIA hijinks. There is so much detail it takes nearly 600 pages to relate it all. The focus is really on the misguided arms for hostages deal and how Casey and North went too far with Reagan's complicit approval, if obtained after the ball was rolling. other highlights include for me early troubles with Qaddafi, the invasion of Granada, mining harbors in Nicaragua (first public disclosure of an out of control CIA) and the duplicity of Mubarak around th ...more
Gerry
A very well written book and account of historical significance. Many persons I knew that worked for the CIA were upset at this book, the author, and the complete environment within Washington DC at the time. It happens to be one book that I read that I have an uncanny ability to recall for some unknown reason (this is sort of a laughable point with people that have known me for many years).

I recommend this read and you the reader draw your own conclusions. The most telling reason this book is s
Martyn Rush
"The CIA had become once again a tool of an Administration bent on forcing its view on the world."
Erik Graff
Mar 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: US citizens
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
This is my favorite of Woodward's instant insider history books. Very little of it was new, but much of what it reveals was little reported by the mainstream press before its publication. Little was new, exepting Woodward's citations of the man himself, Casey, as regards the criminal deeds of his--and Ronald Reagan's--administration. Casey himself, of course, saw nothing wrong with extralegal murder, contravention of domestic law or international treaty.

Anup Sinha
Bob Woodward's sterling reputation proceeds him and this book is backed with incredible research. It was just a tough read for a non-politician like myself but I still got something out of it as far as an understanding of how the CIA works and some of the international issues during Reagan's presidency. If you are looking for a narrative, this is not your book. If you want facts and hardcore documentation, it will deliver.
Kyle Geissler
I wasn't old enough to understand what Iran/contra was all about at the time it was happening. Now I know :) Woodward is as thorough as I've some to expect.
Andy Perdue
I've been meaning to read this book since it came out when i was in college. Once again, Bob Woodward shows why he is the pre-eminent journalist of the 20th century (and beyond). There is a lot of painstaking detail here, but the story of how the Reagan administration deceived the world with the Iran-Contra Affair required it. The insights on Lebanon and Libya were especially enlightening.
Judith
An informative and interesting read.
Ardita
I read the Indonesian translation back sometimes in 1989. The book was poorly translated and I couldn't understand much. "The Spycatcher" was far more better translated than this one.

However if you want to walk down the memory lane with "Ollie North" and the whole Lybian terrorism, this is the one to read.
Sandy
I was astounded with the conflict within our governmental agencies and the secrecies between them. The book is not easy to read unless one's memory is very good. Although there is a glossary defining all the acronyms used throughout the book, it was difficult to remember the definitions.
Matt
Started off well and as though it was a crime novel however in the middle it started to tale off and was concentrating on too many facts like a reference book! Still it went back to it's original style towards the end! All in all not a bad read and helped pass the time on the commute to work!
James
Feb 27, 2008 James is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Veil, by Bob Woodward, seems to be a thorough and unnerving account of the CIA from 1981-1987, as any accurate account of any period of years of CIA activity would be I'm sure.

I am just starting this one and will not remark much until I'm further in or done.
Reuben Herfindahl
Pretty good read, and probably one of the better books on understanding Iran/Contra. Although it's more a book about Bill Casey than anything else. At times it gets a bit too deep in the weeds of who knew what when, but understandable after Watergate.
Kenneth Fehl
The book appears hastily edited. It is a chronology of events which while proving to be interested reading did not lead to any conclusions or form a complete picture.
  • Inside the Company: CIA Diary
  • State of War: The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush Administration
  • The White House Years
  • In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam
  • By Way of Deception: The Making of a Mossad Officer
  • Spycraft: The Secret History of the CIA's Spytechs, from Communism to al-Qaeda
  • KGB: The Inside Story of Its Foreign Operations from Lenin to Gorbachev
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • Under Fire: An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North
  • On Witchcraft
  • Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan & Sarah Edwards
  • The Portable Thomas Jefferson
Robert "Bob" Upshur Woodward is an assistant managing editor of The Washington Post. While an investigative reporter for that newspaper, Woodward, working with fellow reporter Carl Bernstein, helped uncover the Watergate scandal that led to U.S. President Richard Nixon's resignation. Woodward has written 12 best-selling non-fiction books and has twice contributed reporting to efforts that collecti ...more
More about Bob Woodward...
Obama's Wars The Final Days The Brethren: Inside the Supreme Court Plan of Attack State of Denial