The Treason of Isengard: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Two (The History of Middle-earth, #7)

The Treason of Isengard: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth #7)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  2,350 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Treason of Isengard is the seventh volume in Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-earth and the second in his account of the evolution of The Lord of the Rings. This book follows the long halt in the darkness of the Mines of Moria (which ended The Return of the Shadow) and traces the tale into new lands south and east of the Misty Mountains. Tolkien introduces us to...more
Published November 30th 1989 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published October 11th 1988)

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Fantasy Book must be read before your death
36th out of 103 books — 64 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Middle Earth
25th out of 128 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Luka Novak
This book is not a logical sequel to "The Return of the Shadow" but rather somewhat arbitrary separation of Tolkien early drafts. This book does not start where "The Return of the Shadow" ended as there are again later drafts of previous chapters. Christopher Tolkien had to separate his father's papers into several books so we are not presented with one massive book and this place seems as good as any. So if you expect this book to cover evolution of "The Two Towers" you'll be dissapointed.

Rewri...more
Phillip
"The Treason of Isengard: The History of the Lord of the Rings, Part 2" in which the subject matter is written by J.R.R. Tolkien and the commentary by his son Christopher Tolkien is a fun, informative, glorious read.

We millions of die-hard Tolkien fans are fortunate to have Christopher Tolkien in the world to make his father's papers available to us. It is a great fortune that he has just the right educational background, inclination, and ambition to present them as he does in all of the "Histor...more
Dru
This will be my 12-volume write-up of the entire series "The History of Middle Earth".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This series is ONLY for the hardcore Tolkien fanatic. Predominantly written by
JRR's son, based on JRR's notes on the creation of The Silmarilion and
The Lord of the Rings (much less on The Hobbit). It is somewhat interesting to
see the evolution of the story (for example, "Strider" was originally conceived as
a Hobbit (one of tho...more
Tobey
I have already read The Return of the Shadow, which is the first book in Christopher Tolkien's "History of The Lord of the Rings". That book covers the process of writing the Prologue through Balin's Tomb in Moria, with the Fellowship comprised of five hobbits and Gandalf. This book, The Treason of Isengard, backtracks significantly and begins with multiple takes on the Council of Elrond, where the nine final Fellowship members are chosen and ends with the first encounters with the Riders of Roh...more
Neil
Dec 29, 2013 Neil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans interested in the development of The Lord of the Rings

In my review of the previous volume in Christopher Tolkien's History Of Middle-Earth, I said that it was a quicker, easier read than some of the earlier books in the series. One of the main reasons for this is that the four books that make up The History of the Lord of the Rings--the series-within-a-series--lead to an actual published endpoint. There is a final, definitive Lord of the Rings, and so it's enjoyable to see the early ideas and drafts heading toward the familiar story.

The second volu

Nicholas Whyte

The most interesting point for me was that Frodo and Sam's path to Mordor, and even back to the Shire, emerged in Tolkien's thinking much earlier than the story of the others after the death of Boromir. He seems to almost make up the tale of Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn as he goes along, and I must admit it's not the most satisfying part of the book (and was the most messed around with by Peter Jackson for the film). In the middle of this, however, the Treeb...more
Elfscribe
A fascinating look behind the writing of LOTR for the person who wants to see the thought process behind the creation of a masterpiece. Some notes: Despite its title, half of this book discusses events in the Fellowship before turning to the Two Towers. I was intrigued to discover that originally Tolkien thought that Aragorn would marry Eowyn, hence the romance that began blossoming between the two. That is one of many examples in which one can see that earlier decisions sometimes retain a shado...more
Michael Davis
Surprisingly, this one didn't correspond to the planning behind The Two Towers- I had expected each of the three volumes in this part of the larger History of Middle-earth to match up with the three volumes in LOTR. This one was not quite as exciting or informative as the last, and in starting the next in the series, that one looks a little more engaging, too. We'll see.

I wrote about the experience of reading all 12 of these volumes here: http://soundscryer.com/2011/06/13/chr... (part 1) and her...more
Ben De Bono
The second volume in The History of LOTR is no where near as interesting as the first. The material in Return of the Shadow was quite a bit different from the end result. It was great stuff.

Unfortunately most of what's in Treason of Isengard is a lot closer to the finished product. There is some good stuff. Tolkien's various outlines are fantastic and watching the development of the story is still great.

But on the whole this reads like a rough draft of the finished product. Great for Tolkien sc...more
Rossrn Nunamaker
Most people have noted this is only for die-hard fans of Tolkien, and it is. I'd also argue it is for those who seriously want to explore Tolkien's writing process (I'd imagine these are die-hard fans, but could be academics as well).

The titles of each of the three History of the Lord of the Rings books are misleading in that this volume mostly addresses content from book 1 of LOTR and book 3, which I began today, mostly covers book 2.

Get past all that and you will gain tremendous insight into h...more
Tim
A good read, but only for the die-hard Tolkien fan (it's pointless to read it before reading the LOTR trilogy, since it's about him writing the LOTR trilogy).
I liked it. There's a lot of alternative plots while he was still fleshing things out; the chararcter who would become Aragon was originally a hobbit. There's some extraneous details, but overall very interesting.
Sara
Very detailed and fascinating history of the manuscripts of The Lord of the Rings, from later manuscript redrafts of the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring through the Appendices. At times difficult to follow, this is a reference book and a look into J.R.R. Tolkien's writing process and apocrypha not included in the published Lord of the Rings.
Tyler
Like Return of the Shadow this was a lengthy book that gives a wide glimpse of the earlier drafts before the final version of the Lord of the Rings. It is very illuminating into the creative process, and quite interesting if you have a deep interest in the development of the story. I wouldn't read it if your interest is only casual.
Philip
Unless you are certain you are familiar with the Lord of the Rings plot, I wouldn't pick this one up. Mostly Tolkien's drafts for LOTR from the council of Elrond up until the Sam rescues Frodo from (in this version Minas Morgul) the guard tower in Cirith Ungol. *Spoiler alert* Aragorn was originally a hobbit named Trotter?
Jeremy Raper
Again, like the other 'History of Middle-Earth' books, this is for serious Tolkienites only. Having said that - this volume is of particular interest as it covers much of the time period during which the events of the Lord of the Rings took place, and so is of most immediate interest to fans of the trilogy.
Tori
Oct 04, 2008 Tori marked it as someday  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien
Treason of Isengard: The History of The Lord of the Rings, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, Vol. 7) by J.R.R. Tolkien (2000)
Evan Hays
More in the detailed background of how the Lord of the Rings was written. You have to be really into it to care about all of this, but I love getting the background to how things were created. I will be reading Vol. 8 at some time in the future, but no rush at this point.
Kana
Nov 15, 2012 Kana marked it as to-read
Shelves: tolkien
Summary
My goal for 2013 is to finish the Middle-Earth Universe of books. While doing so I will be following The Tolkien Professor Lectures.
Kaitlin
Brilliant for a total LOTR nerd like myself. I skipped a lot of the stuff about maps and etymology but it was utterly fascinating to watch the writing process. I want the next volume now...
Jim
The first 200 pages are a boring rehash of volume VI. Things get better as the rest of the book depicts Tolkien's struggle with the plot of LOTR.
40 Forte
These are definitely more for the hardcore Tolkien fan....a glimspe into how the works were created, and Tolkien's own struggles to unify the story.
Stephen Smith
Carole
Interesting book but not light reading. The detail can be mind-numbing. Not for the casual Tolkien reader.
Samantha
You've got to be pretty into LOTR to enjoy this one. It's for the Tolkien completist.
Martin Hernandez
Sólo para los muy clavados en desmenuzar todos los detalles del "Señor de los Anillos"
Ashwise
An indepth look of the early drafts of the Lord of the Rings.
Jacob
See the review for Vol. 6, The Return of the Shadow.
Mor
Great and in trigging story
Jemma
  • The Road to Middle-Earth: How J.R.R. Tolkien Created A New Mythology
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo
  • Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet,WWI veteran (British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English language and literature from 1945 to 1959. He was a cl...more
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)