Start by marking “Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals” as Want to Read:
Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals

Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals

Discover the tool that millions of people worldwide are using for guidance, inspiration, and help in finding answers to life's questions. now, revised and expanded to include eight additional cards, this unique and powerful divination system draws upon ancient wisdom and tradition to teach the healing medicine of animals. Medicine Cards and found its way into the hearts an
Published July 30th 1999 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Medicine Cards, please sign up.

Yvonne It could mean that there is a blockage with your own powers. Perhaps you aren't seeing what is happening right in front of you? It could also mean…moreIt could mean that there is a blockage with your own powers. Perhaps you aren't seeing what is happening right in front of you? It could also mean that perhaps you need to start paying more attention to details. Maybe they mean for you to pay close attention to what is happening in your life as you may be blind to something that is happening.(less)

Stephanie
Dec 13, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
My favorite deck related to animals for divination. This deck connects the natural attributes and behaviors of the animal with the spiritual lore relating to each creature in a way which is both sensible and spiritual. The suggestions for meditation are evocative, and I find myself returning to them again and again.

Animals have been my guides and teachers since before I could talk. I prefer not to call them "totems" for myself, because I do not have the honor of being Native American. But Jamie
Alyce Barry
Nov 27, 2009 Alyce Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book I refer to often, either when I'm using the medicine cards to glean what's coming or when I've seen an animal or bird I haven't seen in a while to remind myself what it means. For me this book is a handbook to understanding messages received from the Divine through nature.
Karl
Sep 15, 2013 Karl rated it it was amazing
This item is actually more than just a book: it also includes a deck of cards, similar to a Tarot deck, that depicts a variety of North American animals. The information contained in the book is derived from centuries old wisdom held by the North American native peoples. Used in conjunction with one-another the set is designed to:

1) assist people in determining their animal totem and

2) provide a means, another perspective, when dealing with life issues/questions.

Overall, this set is an invaluabl
Denisa Howe
Mar 25, 2013 Denisa Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book of explanation from the Indian beliefs and what they live by. Not simply tarot cards and a book but of the tribes, their understanding of the animals and how they can help lead you down a path of understanding and living in peace as they do. The instructions bring the feel of a hand from the past with great knowledge of how we should live. Even the bear knows it must retreat, and rest from the world as we should to. Take a step back from the cell phones, T.V.'s and life for brie ...more
Luminea
Aug 13, 2014 Luminea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have owned this set of oracle cards and guidebook for over 20 years, and they remain one of my favourites. The messages always clearly reflect whatever life situation I am going through at the time, and when an animal appears to me in my environment or in dreams I often turn to this guidebook for insight and understanding of the lesson I am being taught. I am truly grateful for the many ways this oracle set has helped me to grow over the years.
Lauren
Dec 11, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I really like this book, if you're at all interested in animal symbolism I recommend it. I like it much better than the Ted Andrew's books. However, and always, take it with a big grain of salt. Symbolism is a very personal thing, these are just broad guidelines. I like the cards themselves, however they feel very cheap, I wish they actually felt like real cards. They need to be thicker.
Christine
Nov 22, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was inspired to delve into this reading after a powerful encounter with a Fox. The ancient tribal wisdom of animal medicine needs to be revived in our modern culture. Wonderful book, with artful descriptions of the Choctaw, Lakota, Seenca, Aztec and more. Highly recommend.
Lynn Wilson
Feb 16, 2009 Lynn Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have found this book to be wonderfully on target for checking messges from the animal world. Whenever I encounter an animal, whether it be a dead skunk by the side of the road or a deer in the woods, I open the book to see what sort of message the universe might be offering.
Julie
A very meaningful and interesting look into Native American medicine and its connection to the animal world. I actually won the deck of cards at a gift exchange party (apparently not a coincidence), and had to track down the book to learn about how to use them. I am so glad I found it!

Medicine is anything that improve's one connection to life, and animals offer medicine through their observable traits, which provide healing lessons and messages. While I do not have much knowledge or experience w
Rachael
Mar 13, 2017 Rachael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
White peeps profiteering on Native American belief systems.
Kenneth
Feb 28, 2017 Kenneth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Most divination books start off with some chapters on the cosmology, where does the symbolism come from, what are the roots and how deep do they go. Then they move onto card spreads and the meanings of the cards. This book follows that pattern pretty closely.
My problem with animal symbolism is that I feel so cut off from animals as a day to day part of my life that the book has to do a really good job grounding the symbolism of the animal. I feel like this book needs a whole book of native myth
Yvonne
Jan 27, 2017 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great oracle deck to work with. The book itself is filled with unique wisdom. The cards are pretty and filled with symbolism.
»мσяgαиα« (over the hills and far away)
Il cofanetto si compone di un mazzo di 54 carte e un libro in cui, dopo una premessa alla medicina degli animali, vengono presentate singolarmente le varie carte: ne viene spiegata la "storia" e l'insegnamento che la carta, a seconda che venga estratta dritta o rovescia, ci vuole insegnare. Non mancano, a fine tomo, varie indicazioni sulla stesura; personalmente, sono solita estrarre una carta al bisogno e, finora, mi hanno sempre portato conforto e chiarezza sulla strada da seguire nella vita. ...more
Arwydd
Apr 16, 2015 Arwydd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this way back in the 90's, and at the time, really got a lot out of it. Somebody had given me a reading based on these cards, and I raced out to buy it immediately, because it was exactly what I needed at that time.

I felt the pictures were beautiful, and especially the wisdom the books offered.

Now, I'm more into Druidry, (just starting out) and as time has gone on, I feel the illustrations are a bit plain and basic compared to what is on offer these days.

I have the Druid Animal Orac
Briana
The star of this set is undoubtedly the book. It is filled with deep, ancient wisdom that continues to make a profound impression upon me. This wisdom is what gives power to the cards. I found a copy of the book at a thrift store and I bought it to use as an animal totem reference book. I find that it can be used similarly to Animal Speak by Ted Andrews, which is my favorite book of animal wisdom. Fantastic stuff! I have looked at the cards and I think they are a suitable companion. The artwork ...more
Draagonfly
Aug 12, 2012 Draagonfly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have LOVED my deck and book since 1996. These cards definitely speak to me every time I use them. I often use the book as a simple reference as well when something causes an animal to cross my path unexpectedly in every day life. Ted Andrews' Animal Speak book is another one I often refer to in conjunction with these.
Dug Holland
Sep 07, 2012 Dug Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book will give you a lot to think about. However, Keep in mind that in the original practice that these cards are based around you wouldn't have been able to do this without a shaman present. You learn a lot from the animal descriptions, but the cards are a waste of time unless you are a shaman. And even then, still probably a waste of time.
Kelli
Oct 31, 2008 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dear friend introduced me to this fantastic book & cards set. It meshes really well with Jungian archetypes, and while the scientist in me was skeptical of "finding my totem animals," the cards I ended up picking--face-down--were UNBELIEVABLY UNCANNY. Seriously.

It encourages introspection. I'm not typically one for divination, but I wholeheartedly recommend this set.
Stephanie
I am in love with this book and card deck. Even my 3.5 year old loves to play "the medicine card game" where we guess the animal she's holding and she gives hints. The images are beautiful and the cards have already been very useful in the short time I have been using and meditating with them..
ChaCha Ala Mode
Jun 28, 2016 ChaCha Ala Mode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifestyle
This is a book that you do not read as a story, but more as a guide to life. Asking yourself to find your personal truths and then finding how this book relates to those truths. I find the little bits of history of Native American cultures to be amazing insight into how we have lost our ways.
Adam82
Jan 20, 2009 Adam82 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A view from the Native Way, Learn of your totom and your spiritual guides in this book. Remember though, This is only a brief idea, to truely find it, you must go through the vision quest. Happy reading to you.
Alison
Apr 11, 2009 Alison is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome birthday gift from Marquita. I have been into the symbolism of animals and animal totems for a little over a year now. I'm looking forward to using this book and these cards in my continual efforts to learn from the symbols in my life...and animals as guides, particularly.
SCOUT
Nov 07, 2008 SCOUT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to SCOUT by: a dear friend
Very practical, illustrative, and insightful guide into the spiritual medicinal healing approach as told from native american perspective. Very useful to anyone interested in non alternative methods of recovery, well being. Accompanied by a set of illustrative index cards.
Brandon Lott
Dec 21, 2010 Brandon Lott rated it it was amazing
Been using this deck, and others, for many years. Very helpful and great lessons on various indigenous perspectives, as represented in the medicine of each particular animal.
Deborah Brown
Apr 05, 2013 Deborah Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most beautiful book to assist us through our journeys.i consult this book weekly and it gives a reading a theme and works beautifully with other decks
Bob Gilmour
Sep 25, 2012 Bob Gilmour rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-growth
I use these cards every day for insight into stuff going on around me. Nature wisdom has been around for eons ... we could all do well to learn from our animal world co-habitants of this planet.
Love Speak
May 22, 2013 Love Speak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful. Powerful. Transformational.
This guide to tapping into the sacred essence of animal medicine is the real deal.
Evans Craig
Nov 25, 2013 Evans Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have bought many sets of these cards & given them all out as gifts to my friends. Mainly others that are looking for help or enhancement in their own Spirituality.
Crystal Wind
Jul 23, 2014 Crystal Wind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply one of the finest decks and books available anywhere! Use it often.
nora j
Feb 09, 2008 nora j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I carry these cards and sometimes look to see if they will offer me solace in the hard times, direction with questions, "proof" of anything. Most often I find the telling right on.
  • Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards
  • Nature-Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Thoth Tarot Deck with Other and Booklet
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • The Mythic Tarot
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Dancing with the Wheel: The Medicine Wheel Workbook
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • In the Shadow of the Shaman: Connecting with Self, Nature, and Spirit
  • Shadowscapes Tarot
  • Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
  • Voices of the Winds: Native American Legends
  • The Astrologer's Handbook
  • Osho Zen Tarot
Jamie Sams is a member of the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge. She is the coauthor of Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals, author of Dancing the dream, The Sacred Paths Workbook, and (with Twylah Nitsch) Other Council Fires Were Here Before Ours
More about Jamie Sams...