Start by marking “Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals” as Want to Read:
Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
Preview

Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Discover the tool that millions of people worldwide are using for guidance, inspiration, and help in finding answers to life's questions. now, revised and expanded to include eight additional cards, this unique and powerful divination system draws upon ancient wisdom and tradition to teach the healing medicine of animals. Medicine Cards and found its way into the hearts an ...more
Published July 30th 1999 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Medicine Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medicine Cards

Stephanie
My favorite deck related to animals for divination. This deck connects the natural attributes and behaviors of the animal with the spiritual lore relating to each creature in a way which is both sensible and spiritual. The suggestions for meditation are evocative, and I find myself returning to them again and again.

Animals have been my guides and teachers since before I could talk. I prefer not to call them "totems" for myself, because I do not have the honor of being Native American. But Jamie
Alyce Barry
A book I refer to often, either when I'm using the medicine cards to glean what's coming or when I've seen an animal or bird I haven't seen in a while to remind myself what it means. For me this book is a handbook to understanding messages received from the Divine through nature.
Karl
This item is actually more than just a book: it also includes a deck of cards, similar to a Tarot deck, that depicts a variety of North American animals. The information contained in the book is derived from centuries old wisdom held by the North American native peoples. Used in conjunction with one-another the set is designed to:

1) assist people in determining their animal totem and

2) provide a means, another perspective, when dealing with life issues/questions.

Overall, this set is an invaluabl
Denisa Howe
A wonderful book of explanation from the Indian beliefs and what they live by. Not simply tarot cards and a book but of the tribes, their understanding of the animals and how they can help lead you down a path of understanding and living in peace as they do. The instructions bring the feel of a hand from the past with great knowledge of how we should live. Even the bear knows it must retreat, and rest from the world as we should to. Take a step back from the cell phones, T.V.'s and life for brie ...more
Lauren
I really like this book, if you're at all interested in animal symbolism I recommend it. I like it much better than the Ted Andrew's books. However, and always, take it with a big grain of salt. Symbolism is a very personal thing, these are just broad guidelines. I like the cards themselves, however they feel very cheap, I wish they actually felt like real cards. They need to be thicker.
Arwydd
I purchased this way back in the 90's, and at the time, really got a lot out of it. Somebody had given me a reading based on these cards, and I raced out to buy it immediately, because it was exactly what I needed at that time.

I felt the pictures were beautiful, and especially the wisdom the books offered.

Now, I'm more into Druidry, (just starting out) and as time has gone on, I feel the illustrations are a bit plain and basic compared to what is on offer these days.

I have the Druid Animal Orac
Lynn Wilson
I have found this book to be wonderfully on target for checking messges from the animal world. Whenever I encounter an animal, whether it be a dead skunk by the side of the road or a deer in the woods, I open the book to see what sort of message the universe might be offering.
Stephanie
I am in love with this book and card deck. Even my 3.5 year old loves to play "the medicine card game" where we guess the animal she's holding and she gives hints. The images are beautiful and the cards have already been very useful in the short time I have been using and meditating with them..
Ellen Allerton
Excellent Book on how to use Medicine Cards and Native American Belief systems and how to incorporate them into life with introspection and observance of the world around you.
Crystal Wind
Simply one of the finest decks and books available anywhere! Use it often.
Luminea
I have owned this set of oracle cards and guidebook for over 20 years, and they remain one of my favourites. The messages always clearly reflect whatever life situation I am going through at the time, and when an animal appears to me in my environment or in dreams I often turn to this guidebook for insight and understanding of the lesson I am being taught. I am truly grateful for the many ways this oracle set has helped me to grow over the years.
Kelli
A dear friend introduced me to this fantastic book & cards set. It meshes really well with Jungian archetypes, and while the scientist in me was skeptical of "finding my totem animals," the cards I ended up picking--face-down--were UNBELIEVABLY UNCANNY. Seriously.

It encourages introspection. I'm not typically one for divination, but I wholeheartedly recommend this set.
Dug Holland
Reading this book will give you a lot to think about. However, Keep in mind that in the original practice that these cards are based around you wouldn't have been able to do this without a shaman present. You learn a lot from the animal descriptions, but the cards are a waste of time unless you are a shaman. And even then, still probably a waste of time.
Draagonfly
I have LOVED my deck and book since 1996. These cards definitely speak to me every time I use them. I often use the book as a simple reference as well when something causes an animal to cross my path unexpectedly in every day life. Ted Andrews' Animal Speak book is another one I often refer to in conjunction with these.
Alison
Apr 11, 2009 Alison is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome birthday gift from Marquita. I have been into the symbolism of animals and animal totems for a little over a year now. I'm looking forward to using this book and these cards in my continual efforts to learn from the symbols in my life...and animals as guides, particularly.
SCOUT
Nov 07, 2008 SCOUT rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to SCOUT by: a dear friend
Very practical, illustrative, and insightful guide into the spiritual medicinal healing approach as told from native american perspective. Very useful to anyone interested in non alternative methods of recovery, well being. Accompanied by a set of illustrative index cards.
Adam82
A view from the Native Way, Learn of your totom and your spiritual guides in this book. Remember though, This is only a brief idea, to truely find it, you must go through the vision quest. Happy reading to you.
Bob Gilmour
I use these cards every day for insight into stuff going on around me. Nature wisdom has been around for eons ... we could all do well to learn from our animal world co-habitants of this planet.
nora j
I carry these cards and sometimes look to see if they will offer me solace in the hard times, direction with questions, "proof" of anything. Most often I find the telling right on.
Brandon Lott
Been using this deck, and others, for many years. Very helpful and great lessons on various indigenous perspectives, as represented in the medicine of each particular animal.
Evans Craig
I have bought many sets of these cards & given them all out as gifts to my friends. Mainly others that are looking for help or enhancement in their own Spirituality.
Deborah Brown
The most beautiful book to assist us through our journeys.i consult this book weekly and it gives a reading a theme and works beautifully with other decks
Love Speak
Insightful. Powerful. Transformational.
This guide to tapping into the sacred essence of animal medicine is the real deal.
C.J. Prince
My first animal deck bought the year it was published. I still refer to it along with Ted Andrews.
Terri
I have found these to be incredibly useful and insighful over the years
Ian
Jan 04, 2013 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tarot
I've had this deck for close to 10 years now. I don't use it all the time, but it's a great tool to have when I need to connect with an animal.
Stephanie Moore
Stephanie Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
  • Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards
  • Nature-Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature
  • The Medicine Way: A Shamanic Path to Self Mastery (The "Earth Quest" Series)
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Thoth Tarot Deck with Other and Booklet
  • Coyote Medicine: Lessons from Native American Healing
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • The Mythic Tarot
  • The Complete Guide to the Tarot
  • A Practical Guide to the Runes: Their Uses in Divination and Magic
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Shadowscapes Tarot
  • Osho Zen Tarot
  • Mother Earth Spirituality: Native American Paths to Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Voices of the Winds: Native American Legends
  • The Steampunk Tarot
Jamie Sams is a member of the Wolf Clan Teaching Lodge. She is the coauthor of Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals, author of Dancing the dream, The Sacred Paths Workbook, and (with Twylah Nitsch) Other Council Fires Were Here Before Ours
More about Jamie Sams...
Dancing the Dream: The Seven Sacred Paths Of Human Transformation 13 Original Clan Mothers: Your Sacred Path to Discovering the Gifts, Talents and Abilities of the Feminine Through the Ancient Teachings of the Sisterhood Earth Medicine: Ancestor's Ways of Harmony for Many Moons Sacred Path Cards (Guidebook) Other Council Fires Were Here Before Ours: A Classic Native American Creation Story as Retold by a Seneca Elder and Her Gra