Start by marking “The Necessary Revolution: Working Together to Create a Sustainable World” as Want to Read:
The Necessary Revolution: Working Together to Create a Sustainable World

The Necessary Revolution: Working Together to Create a Sustainable World

Imagine a world in which the excess energy from one business would be used to heat another. Where buildings need less and less energy around the world, and where “regenerative” commercial buildings – ones that create more energy than they use – are being designed. A world in which environmentally sound products and processes would be more cost-effective than wasteful ones. ...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Necessary Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Necessary Revolution

Kate
Jan 05, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't want to oversell it, but I really think that everyone should read this book. It's written from the business perspective, but it's relevant to everyone, especially people in communications, business, government and the natural sciences.

The authors use "Revolution" in the title, but this isn't a hard-core text. You don't have to be a hippie to appreciate the ideas. What makes this book so amazing is that it takes a lot of very technical and mysterious concepts for people outside of archit
Gatot Widayanto
Sep 13, 2015 Gatot Widayanto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alasan utama membeli buku ini bagi saya karena faktor penulisnya. Siapa tak kenal Peter Senge yang kondang dengan buku The Fifth Discipline pada hampir dua dekade yang silam, tepatnya 1990. Buku tersebut telah menjadi buah-bibir di kalangan pemerhati strategi bisnis maupun manajemen terutama yang mendalami pembelajaran organisasi. Premis pokok yang dituangkan Senge saat itu adalah ajakan untuk membudayakan pemikiran sistemik. Contoh yang ia gunakan juga sangat sederhana, yaitu dengan menggunakan ...more
stinaz
What I thought was going to be a profile of organizations working towards sustainability was so much more. A set of guidelines and a prescription for how organizations, businesses, workers can make change and induce more sustainable practices for business.

Put a face and name to the method of thinking that I choose over all others - systems thinking (seeing the whole) and provides tools and step by step instructions as to how individuals and groups can implement systems thinking within their orga
Mansee Sahu
Feb 03, 2017 Mansee Sahu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a moderate read with insights on how small steps towards sustainable environment are making a difference. Examples of some big companies are taken to support the idea. Although it is a comprehensive guide for people who want to take inspiration from the sustainable efforts like ethanol cars, coca-cola saving water and so on, but the flip side and detailing as to the real reason behind these companies taking these sustainable efforts and what they are gaining out of it and so on for these ex ...more
E
May 27, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightened prescription for sustainability

The Earth faces grave sustainability problems, including global warming. In this new book, experts Peter Senge, Bryan Smith, Nina Kruschwitz, Joe Laur and Sara Schley discuss how people, organizations and nations are coming together to bring about positive change. The authors demonstrate that sustainability issues are part of an interconnected global dilemma that affects everyone. They urge united action to solve major ecological problems before soluti
Ian Tierney
Feb 26, 2014 Ian Tierney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was read at the same time as Meadows' System Thinking. I thought the book had some great examples of large organizations going toward a more sustainable business model. Many people in our reading club thought the beginning was too drawn out, however I disagree. It is the case studies in this book combined with the lessons learned that really made it a powerful read. Being that I am involved in the sustainability industry as a professional, I find it hard to imagine there are people out ...more
Jackie Brady
I liked this book for its hopeful yet practical message. Some businesses really are trying to do the right thing when it comes to sustainability, and they will continue to put pressure on other businesses while forming symbiotic relationships with suppliers. The stories about specific companies' efforts were inspiring. What didn't hold my interest quite as well were the parts about how Jane Doe working for such-and-such a company can work with like-minded coworkers to change the minds of higher ...more
Edwin B
Peter Senge is a favorite of mine in the field of organizational learning and participative change. And indeed, his philosophy on how businesses should be run hews closely to the regenerative spirit of sustainability - where people, natural resources, energy, materials, and by-products are fruitfully tapped, stewarded and cultivated with mindfulness towards preserving the ability of future generations to similarly thrive. This is a practical primer on how individuals and organizations can partic ...more
Rick
Nov 09, 2008 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter Senge makes a rational and passionate case forfor revolution in business to integrate social, ecological and business systems. He provides compelling examples for some of the world's largest companies who already making strides toward sustainable strategies and practices. He also explains the tools and strategies that individuals at any level can use to motivate meaningful change in organizations.
Samir Dhond
Mar 26, 2009 Samir Dhond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It is a powerful book. People truly do many imaginative things to influence the organization that they choose to work with. It talks about how symbiotic the relationship of people in an organization ought to be. It also sends home a strong message that if you want to survive in these times and ages, we ought to work together. There is so much more power in working together on creating something so very beautiful. I strongly recommend this book.
Marie
Feb 11, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book expanded my understanding of sustainability and fundamentally changed how I viewed large multi-national corporations in terms of social change (I used think they could only do harm). The book is comprehensive, at once terrifying and inspiring. Most importantly though, it is empowering and offers pragmatic suggestions and potential solutions to the social, environmental, and economic crisis of our times.
Arturs Alsins
For such a powerful title I was expecting a bit more radical changes being proposed throughout the book. This might be a good learning material for someone in a large corporation rather than an environmental enthusiast although everyone can take away some useful bits and peaces of knowledge. I found it a little repetitive as well.
Ed
Nov 10, 2009 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Senge provides an overview of systems thinking and addresses the importance of sustainability and how organizations should incorporate this concept. Another key point the text brings out is that of economic justice, which is at the heart of sustainability.
Lauren
Dec 29, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ha. The book about really doing something about social injustice. Maybe a little too positive for most grumpy anarcho types but what have they ever contributed anyways? This book is for those who are not afraid to use their power for good.
Rita Nunez
A very interesting and informative read. Although it focuses on businesses, it provided much insight on what we need to do to make some very important changes to the way we work as a society. There were also many interesting factoids about environmentalism that I can use to on people. :)
Sebastian
"Anders dan alle andere boeken van Peter Senge. Interessant om te lezen als het gaat om de feiten van de noodzakelijkheid van duurzaam ondernemen. Minder interessant omdat het geen echte handreikingen doet."
Amy Gu
Mar 03, 2016 Amy Gu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed the way I look at the world around me - how the Industrial Revolution and business today permeates all aspects of our lives and thinking, and how that's destroying our earth. But the book was also so inspiring in terms of what we can do and how we can work together. Amazing read.
Jinnie
I'm listening to this on audio. The content is GREAT! Unfortunately, the reader is a snooze-and-a-half. There's also no cues at the end of each cd to let you know it's time to change them, so it just loops (on my car system), which is annoying.
David
Aug 15, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I didn't know some big companies were doing so much towards sustainability. A little repetitive.
Jeffrey
Aug 10, 2014 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars is a bit of a stretch. But I like Senge's sweeping overview of sustainability and his call to action.
Maria Leberre
Sep 23, 2015 Maria Leberre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I plan to reread this one periodically. It has so much to offer, especially for people hoping to develop sustainability initiatives at work. A tad wordy, but still very interesting.
Arash
Aug 08, 2011 Arash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All about systems thinking and how to take a more holistic approach to solving major problems using creative thinking and sustainable practices.
Caryn
Apr 18, 2014 Caryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing advice on a cooperative path toward a regenerative economy.
Kurt Thonnings
Aug 19, 2011 Kurt Thonnings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow. What an incredible book. Will help in teaching my classes.
Paul
Nov 08, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment
Excellent summary of why companies need to take action, examples of those that have and an invaluable list of tools for creating change within a company.
Oct 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I am greatly inspired by this book. Interested in creating a sustainable world? Interested in people of extremely diverse backgrounds and concerns finding common ground? Read this book!
Emillam
Jul 10, 2009 Emillam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read...how far Peter has come...
BP2041 Expedition2009
systems thinking and sustainability
Kristina
Jul 24, 2009 Kristina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: set-aside
I am really enjoying this book so far; it's a really easy-to-read book about how companies and individuals can affect change by working together towards sustainability.
Arjan Hamberg
Dec 17, 2012 Arjan Hamberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voor mij als ondernemer en vader een erg inspirerend boek. Het heeft me veel ideeën opgeleverd, nu over naar uitvoering.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift
  • The Upside of Down: Catastrophe, Creativity and the Renewal of Civilization
  • The Post Carbon Reader: Managing the 21st Century's Sustainability Crises
  • The Dominant Animal: Human Evolution and the Environment
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • Getting Green Done: Hard Truths from the Front Lines of the Sustainability Revolution
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • The Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability
  • The Power of Unreasonable People: How Social Entrepreneurs Create Markets That Change the World
  • Strategy for Sustainability: A Business Manifesto
  • The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It
  • Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller: Oil and the End of Globalization
  • The Global Warming Reader: A Century of Writing About Climate Change
  • Open Space Technology: A User's Guide
  • Leading from the Emerging Future: From Ego-System to Eco-System Economies
  • The Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update
Peter M. Senge is a senior lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is also founding chair of the Society for Organizational Learning (SoL), a global community of corporations, researchers, and consultants dedicated to the "interdependent development of people and their institutions."
--from the author's website
More about Peter M. Senge...

“If we see each problem—be it water shortages, climate change, or poverty—as separate, and approach each separately, the solutions we come up with will be short-term, often opportunistic, “quick fixes” that do nothing to address deeper imbalances.” 1 likes