Start by marking “George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call” as Want to Read:
George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call

George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call (George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards - Comics omnibus)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In 1946, an alien virus is accidentally unleashed that changes the world forever. Most of those infected die horribly, said to have drawn the Black Queen as their fated card. Ninety percent of those who survive mutate into Jokers -- deformed, broken, hated, and feared. But a handful are lucky enough to become Aces, gaining superpowers that allow them to achieve almost anyt ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by Dynamite Entertainment (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards

Pam
Jul 29, 2014 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forewarning to others that got this in the Dynamite ebook bundle, the pdf and cbz formats have the pages all in the wrong order. The other two formats seem ok. It makes a lot more sense if you don't have the end and the beginning all shuffled together.

I like the concept of the disease that turns people into mutants or super heroes, though I guess G.R.R. Martin gets the credit there, not the comic book writer. I liked the overall plot arc, too, the antagonist's goal was interesting and he could h
Brandt Anderson
Dec 31, 2013 Brandt Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A great addition to the Wild Card series. Provides a great visual of the Wild Cards world. Great artwork. We have new characters along with a few old ones. I only wish that there would have been a connection to the current trilogy at the time. Not a big one, more like a passing mention. Just to help connect the comic to the reboot book series. On that note it would have been good to either have some of the characters or the events of the comics mentioned in the future books to make the comic les ...more
Venus Maneater
Sep 25, 2015 Venus Maneater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This review will be a little biased, because I've got a soft spot for the Wild Card series and an even softer one for one of the main characters - Croyd. And the latter happens to play a big part in this volume.

The illustrator; Eric Battle, has a classic style that's perfect for this tale - expressive and just a little rough around the edges. Combined with the soft color scheme, he really knew how to bring Jokertown to life. It's a place of fantastic horror and he draws it right as I imagined it
Natalie
Nov 12, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: dynamite-comics
I actually ended up really enjoying this book even though I haven't finished Wild Cards. One of the characters who features heavily in this story is Croyd Crenson a.k.a The Sleeper, who's origin story is detailed in the first Wild Cards book.

Briefly, the setup for the story is that a display of Jet Boy's clothing is at a school science fair and when the casing gets broken it causes an outbreak of the Wild Cards Virus in the school.

I really enjoyed the story a lot but some of the artwork wasn't a
Michail Drakomathioulakis
English text follows:

Τούτ' είν' η πρώτη ιστορία απ' το σύμπαν των "Άγριων Καρτών" που διάβασα κι ομολογώ ότι την βρήκα αρκετά ενδιαφέρουσα, ώστε να προσπαθήσω στο μέλλον να διαβάσω τόσο τα σχετικά βιβλία του Μάρτιν, όσο και τα υπόλοιπα γκράφικ νόβελ.

Η ιδέα ενός ιού που μεταλλάσσει τους ανθρώπους, δίνοντάς τους ιδιότητες που τους ταξινομούν σε ομάδες ονοματισμένες απ' τα φύλλα της τράπουλας (οι "Άσοι" με υπερδυνάμεις, αλλά "φυσιολογικοί" σε εμφάνισι, οι "Τζόκερ" παραμορφωμένοι, για παράδειγμα), ε
Andrew Huey
Aug 28, 2015 Andrew Huey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I'm not a big fan of the Wild Cards books. I think I read one back in the 80s, and enjoyed it, but not enough to get hooked on the series.

This comic is a good stand-alone story that you can read and enjoy without any prior knowledge of the Wild Cards books. It's well-written and has some depth to it, beyond just the mechanics of the story.

The art is OK, and tells the story well enough. The art style isn't entirely to my taste, but it works.
Francesco
Oct 01, 2014 Francesco rated it it was ok
A me la saga Wild Cards dice molto poco...
Kirsty Cabot
Aug 29, 2014 Kirsty Cabot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-book, read-2014
This was my first encounter with the Wild Cards world. It was a pretty good, though quite straight forward story, with some good characters. The concept of mutants being turned into "Aces" and "Jokers" and how this affects them was interesting, and it certainly peaked my interest to follow up investigation of other Wild Card works.
Bert
Jan 24, 2015 Bert rated it it was ok
I was about to give this three stars, but then I admitted to myself that "I liked it" would not be the truth. It was okay, but in the end the story was too flimsy and straightforward and predictable. It doesn't even encourage me to go read the dozen and a half books of this science fiction and superhero anthology series.
Helen Saito
May 18, 2011 Helen Saito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great glimpse of the Wild Cards series via the medium of comics; Croyd Crenson is, of course, a favorite of mine, and I loved getting to "see" old favorites like Troll and Bradley Finn. Best of all, I really enjoyed all the new characters; I for one would love to see Kira show up in the books.
Jason Pollock
Aug 27, 2011 Jason Pollock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wild-cards
A little short for a graphic novel, but will give the reader a glimpse of the Wildcards universe. It also has familiar characters for those who read the books. Semi adult orientated like "The Watchmen" graphic novel. Overall, enjoyed it.
Alex
Sep 01, 2012 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I've been struggling with this one. Art seems to be too cranky and the story too straightforward. All those aces and jockers the diseases and strange life forms. Not my cup of tea I guess
Doug
Jun 04, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Melinda Snodgrass short at the end of the collection made me give this an extra star.
Asmaa
Asmaa marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jessiqa
Jessiqa marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
DMDanny
DMDanny rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Santiago
Santiago marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Diana
Diana added it
Apr 09, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Andrew
Andrew added it
Apr 08, 2016
Edward Petersen
Edward Petersen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Cara Chatfield
Cara Chatfield marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Melvin Cassity
Melvin Cassity marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Wendy
Wendy added it
Mar 17, 2016
Rafael Villamil
Rafael Villamil marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
  • Death Draws Five (Wild Cards, #17)
  • Amanda Hocking S the Hollows: A Hollowland Graphic Novel
  • Dark Waters Rising
  • Witch Doctor, Volume 2: Mal Practice
  • Saga #36
  • Poet Anderson: The Dream Walker
  • The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel, Volume Three
Daniel Abraham is an American science fiction / fantasy author who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He is a graduate of Clarion West, and sometimes collaborates with George R. R. Martin, another New Mexico resident.

His short stories have appeared in numerous publications and anthologies. His novelette Flat Diane was nominated for the Nebula Award. His novelette The Cambist and Lord Iron: a Fairyt
More about Daniel Abraham...

George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards - Comics (6 books)
  • George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call Part 1