Start by marking “Snapshot” as Want to Read:
Snapshot

Snapshot (Carlotta Carlyle #5)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,048 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Every Friday a child's snapshot arrives at the Boston office of P.I. Carlotta Carlyle. There's no note. No return address. Just pictures of the child as a newborn, as a toddler, as a preschooler. Maybe Carlotta should have tossed them all in the trash. Maybe then she wouldn't have gotten mixed up again...in murder.

Discovering what happened to the child in the photos draws
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Snapshot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snapshot

Spuddie
Apr 29, 2010 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#5 Carlotta Carlyle PI mystery set in Boston, MA. Each Friday for several weeks, Carlotta receives a photo of a young girl from birth upwards, and then the girl's mother arrives with her psychiatrist to bring her the last one--a photo of young Rebecca Woodrow just before she died. Her grief-stricken mother believes there was some error made in the treatment she was receiving for leukemia that caused Becca's death rather than the disease itself and asks Carlotta to look into it, with a handsome r ...more
LJ
Snapshot - VG
Barnes, Linda - 5th in series

Discovering what happened to the child in the photos draws Carlotta into a shattered picture of private lives sadly out of focus-and big shots
Ed
May 29, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#5 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - Boston private investigator Carlotta Carlyle receives a picture of a baby in the mail with no message or return address. She starts to receive pictures every week, each batch showing the child about a year older than the previous ones. One day, a wealthy but disturbed woman appears at Carlotta's door in the company of a psychiatrist. It seems the woman's daughter-the subject of the mysterious pictures-died of leukemia, but the woman thi
Suzanne Auckerman
Book read so much like a Janet Evanovich, I looked up to see if one was a pen name for the other, but does not seem to be the case. I think the similarity was enhanced because both authors are read by the same person. It was entertaining and was interesting to me because it involved a drug counterfeiting scheme, which is the biggest issue that the FDA currently is facing, much worse than illegal drugs. However, the book had an interesting twist. I have never heard of a case like it, but doesn't ...more
Scilla
Apr 02, 2013 Scilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlotta receives a photo of a baby in the mail. This is followed each week by another photo, each one with the little girls a year older. Finally, the psychiatrist a few houses down brings the mother of the child, Emily, to talk with her and Emily asks Carlotta to investigate the child's death in the hospital. Then, Emily disappears and others connected to the case are found dead. Carlotta's work is complicated because her 11 year old "little sister" appears to have an older male friend who als ...more
Ben O'loughlin
Aug 08, 2007 Ben O'loughlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1990s feminist detective stories set in Boston are quite good apparently. The construction of a credibly bolshie female lead can be laboured (rather instructional scenes where she drinks whisky, plays guitar, is nasty to men who happen to be instrinsically pathetic). But the author creates a credible rendition of Boston. For those familiar with the city it makes the book oddly comforting. Having a cover with 'a chick with a gun' was a smart move.
Gail
Jul 19, 2014 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Carlotta Carlyle mystery. This one was a difficult one for me to read as it was about a child's death and a mother's grief. The mystery was solid and well paced and kept me guessing. There is a twist at the end that I particularly enjoyed as it relates to a story line that continues from book to book. But the death of a child is never a good read for me no matter how great the writing is or how clever the mystery is solved.
Cynthia
2 1/2 out of 4 Stars Book on Tape

Carlotta Carlyle is a Boston PI. After getting a series of photos of a child, she is hired by her mother, Emily Woodrow, to prove her daughter's death in a hospital was something more. She eventually uncovers a plot to sell bad cancer drugs to Third World countries. Along the way, she finds her little sister's real father, a big drug dealer in South America, and they strike a deal to take care of Paulina.
Lisa Weber
Dec 18, 2010 Lisa Weber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I'm not much of a detective/crime reader, and I wonder if this would satisfy a really avid crime reader, but I found it funny, interesting, well written, and not graphic enough to offend my gory detective novel antibodies. Also, the main character is Jewish, and likes to relate little yiddish sayings from her grandma, a really nice touch that kept me smiling.
Jim
Aug 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason this story didn't grab me. The plot and the premise seemed reasonable but I did not care for either the setting or the background story and the central character felt somehow isolated from most of the story, maybe because many of the other characters were dead or missing or just
off-stage.
Jim
Jan 19, 2008 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an OK read. I have to say I like the main character, Carlotta Caryle, better than the book as a whole. She has a social conscience, plays Delta blues on her National steel guitar, a parakeet named Red Emma, and a cat who subscribes to Mother Jones and the New York Times Review of Books.
Susan
Apr 22, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I finished reading this just before the Patriots Day bombing in Boston, a reminder that fiction is more tidy than real life; that reading about violence and crime doesn't bring the kind of pain that happens, even in Boston.
Andie
Feb 26, 2007 Andie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a quick read
Shelves: finished
Not bad. My first murder mystery since the Sherlock Holmes stories. Some interesting plot twists, though some didn't come through as well as others. It was a very quick read.
Jeanette
Thia was a good mystery story. I like the main charaters. I will read more of this series if I can find the books.
Pat
Feb 22, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Carlotta Carlyle is a 6'1" detective.
Mother thinks her daughter's death from leukemia is weird.
Ties in story of corrupt hospital and manufacture of fake chemo drugs.
Good pace and dialogue.
Ruth
Apr 04, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
she's nothing like me but i connect with the main character, not perfect but strong. also like the tenant quite the odd ball.
Mary Newcomb
Carlotta Carlyle knows how to get things done. She pieces together some confusing clues into a disturbing conclusion. The intrigue with her little sister is also getting intense.

Joe O'c
Aug 23, 2009 Joe O'c rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; PI tries to assist woman whose child died in a hospital and stumbles across a drugs for dollars scheme.
Rena Glubay
Jun 12, 2015 Rena Glubay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story a lot but I listened to it instead of reading so sometimes I missed some of the details, and you need to keep up with the details in a mystery :-).
Hemizen
Hemizen rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
JillE
JillE rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Vickyk
Vickyk rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Rae
Rae rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Mary Mezera
Mary Mezera rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Patsy
Patsy rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Michal
Michal rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2016
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Both Ends of the Night
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Follow the Sharks (Brady Coyne, #3)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Hardware (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #6)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)