Start by marking “101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School” as Want to Read:
101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School
Preview

101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The world of the fashionista is brought to vivid life with 101 introductory lessons on such topics as how a designer anticipates cultural trends and "sees" the fashion consumer, the workings of the fashion calendar, the ways a designer collection is conceived, the manufacture of fabric, fashion illustration, and more.

Illustrated in the distinctly unique packaged style of
Published May 20th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School

Angelc
When I first opened this book, I thought, "Whoa, this is going to be all definitions of fabric weaves and official fashion terms, sounds boring." But then I got about 20 pages in, and I devoured the book in one sitting! Definitely not boring!

Each of the 101 tips had it's own page and an illustration on the opposite page. I liked how quirky quotes, fashion history, useable hints for shopping and dressing, and the aforementioned terms and definitions were all interspersed throughout the book. The
Rase McCray
This is great and more incisive and insightful than the book's length would imply. Further, the format, which favors only a sentence or three about each "thing" compensates for the lack of depth with evocation in spades--a task that is additionally buoyed with clever wordsmithing. There were many times that I was astounded at how the brevity of the content inspired the authors to achieve a crystalline clarity I've never seen before, and those moments make the book easy to recommend. It was defin ...more
Denise Link
This little book has shelf appeal--I imagine it near the checkout at the bookstore or as part of a display in perhaps the gift shop of a museum of fashion. It's the kind of book someone might buy to give a high school graduate who plans to go to college or art school for fashion design.

Inside, the format of the book offers a line drawing on each left page and a paragraph or two of fashion school "wisdom" on the right. Things like "Rules for the traditional man's suit," with instructions about f
bethanne
May 10, 2010 bethanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fashionista and fashion school student
Recommended to bethanne by: goodreads!
Full disclosure: I won this book from Goodreads' Firstreads giveaways and I was really surprised that I got this book (as opposed to the books I entered for that were the Cooking School and Film School books), but I am glad that I got this book! This is part of a series called "101 Things I Learned...." in which 101 tidbits, facts, and lessons are presented from various trade schools. This one deals with fashion school. And for those who are hip to the designer labels and Project Runway would no ...more
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which I won through First Reads. I entered for it because I make my own knit garments (sometimes) and want to start sewing clothes, too (someday), but the title and book description both imply that the book is JUST for fashion students. After reading it, I can say that pretty much anyone with an interest in fashion would like it well enough. It is a really, really fast read though - 101 pages long, with each page containing either a small paragraph or som ...more
Ju Zhang
Concise. One tenth of the pages have great information that you don't learn from FD classes.
Violette
This book has been so helpful... even if I just bought it last night. I was quite hesitant on buying a book with 202 pages. I bought it anyway though and I really hoped it was worth it. I only scanned through a few pages and they seemed useful and I had a limited allowance. I even asked my sister if I should buy it and she said yes. When I read it, I am sooooo happy I bought this. I just finished reading it. It's like a little handbook that I can always scan through whenever I work with practici ...more
Bridget

This book was written for all the diva wannabe's out there. (Like me. Haha.) I don't know a thing about fashion. I like to see other people all decked out in the latest designs, but I am clueless as to what is designer and what is from Walmart. I found a lot of interesting information in this book and I am a couple steps closer to being a fashion queen. So watch out everyone, I'm about to be a star! If you're interested in learning about this topic, this is the perfect book to get you started.
Ellin
This was a small book filled with tidbits about the fashion industry. I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it. It was a very quick read. Among the things I learned was that haute couture is protected by French law and in order to use the label "haute couture", one must meet specific criteria such as designing and fitting private clients and presenting at least 35 looks for both day and evening to the French press at least twice a year. Who knew?!
Amanda
This is a cute little book that I received from the Goodreads Giveaways. It had a variety of topics dealing with fashion and sewing, including a little bit of history and the reasons why things are the way they are in clothing. It wasn't something I read front to back, but instead jumped around, switching between topics as they interested me. I think it would make a nice gift for someone who is particularly interested in fashion.
Lilly
Very helpful. So much great information that my mind melted a little bit (information overload).
Nancy
It feels like the author said to his fashion-school buddies, Hey can you guys email me your favorite fashion pet peeve or the quote you have hanging by your desk? And then the author had his student intern throw it in a Word Document and presto. The awkward line drawings hurt. That said, I read the whole thing. I am that hungry for bite-sized information about fashion OR the book is actually not that bad.
Mary Ann
Cute , compact , concise; that about sums up this little book. Great to learn facts about the fashion business for student or lay person. There are ways to help with styling , fabric choices , and creativity with design. A touch of humor and sageness included!
Caren
Very cute . Each page has a little fun fact, a quote, an image..Simple layout. Young people, who are intrested in fashion design ,should take a look at it.
John
I love this series. There's a lot of good stuff on creativity in general, a lot of the specific stuff about clothes hasn't really sunk in.
Kevin Connery
Short, pithy examples--usually 2-3 paragraphs--but very well done. Recommended.
Rachel
An interesting read. Great for anyone who wants to go into fashion design!
Bianca Woods
Short, but full of interesting insight on the fashion design process.
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Klen Felipe
Klen Felipe marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Kristin Zueger
Kristin Zueger marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Jayalaxmi
Jayalaxmi marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Salome
Salome marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Nay Min
Nay Min marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Patternmaking for Fashion Design
  • The Fashion Book - Mini Edition
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Fashion Design Course: Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Practical Guide for Aspiring Fashion Designers
  • 101 Things I Learned ® in Culinary School
  • Fashion 101: A Crash Course in Clothing
  • Pattern Making for Fashion Design
  • Patterns of Fashion
  • The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room
  • Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation
  • P.S.- I Made This . . .: I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • Fabrics A-to-Z: The Essential Guide to Choosing and Using Fabric for Sewing