Start by marking “101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School” as Want to Read:
101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School

101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The world of the fashionista is brought to vivid life with 101 introductory lessons on such topics as how a designer anticipates cultural trends and "sees" the fashion consumer, the workings of the fashion calendar, the ways a designer collection is conceived, the manufacture of fabric, fashion illustration, and more.

Illustrated in the distinctly unique packaged style of
Published May 20th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things I Learned ® in Fashion School

Angelc
When I first opened this book, I thought, "Whoa, this is going to be all definitions of fabric weaves and official fashion terms, sounds boring." But then I got about 20 pages in, and I devoured the book in one sitting! Definitely not boring!

Each of the 101 tips had it's own page and an illustration on the opposite page. I liked how quirky quotes, fashion history, useable hints for shopping and dressing, and the aforementioned terms and definitions were all interspersed throughout the book. The
Denise Link
This little book has shelf appeal--I imagine it near the checkout at the bookstore or as part of a display in perhaps the gift shop of a museum of fashion. It's the kind of book someone might buy to give a high school graduate who plans to go to college or art school for fashion design.

Inside, the format of the book offers a line drawing on each left page and a paragraph or two of fashion school "wisdom" on the right. Things like "Rules for the traditional man's suit," with instructions about f
bethanne
May 10, 2010 bethanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fashionista and fashion school student
Recommended to bethanne by: goodreads!
Full disclosure: I won this book from Goodreads' Firstreads giveaways and I was really surprised that I got this book (as opposed to the books I entered for that were the Cooking School and Film School books), but I am glad that I got this book! This is part of a series called "101 Things I Learned...." in which 101 tidbits, facts, and lessons are presented from various trade schools. This one deals with fashion school. And for those who are hip to the designer labels and Project Runway would no ...more
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which I won through First Reads. I entered for it because I make my own knit garments (sometimes) and want to start sewing clothes, too (someday), but the title and book description both imply that the book is JUST for fashion students. After reading it, I can say that pretty much anyone with an interest in fashion would like it well enough. It is a really, really fast read though - 101 pages long, with each page containing either a small paragraph or som ...more
Ju Zhang
Concise. One tenth of the pages have great information that you don't learn from FD classes.
Violette
This book has been so helpful... even if I just bought it last night. I was quite hesitant on buying a book with 202 pages. I bought it anyway though and I really hoped it was worth it. I only scanned through a few pages and they seemed useful and I had a limited allowance. I even asked my sister if I should buy it and she said yes. When I read it, I am sooooo happy I bought this. I just finished reading it. It's like a little handbook that I can always scan through whenever I work with practici ...more
Bridget

This book was written for all the diva wannabe's out there. (Like me. Haha.) I don't know a thing about fashion. I like to see other people all decked out in the latest designs, but I am clueless as to what is designer and what is from Walmart. I found a lot of interesting information in this book and I am a couple steps closer to being a fashion queen. So watch out everyone, I'm about to be a star! If you're interested in learning about this topic, this is the perfect book to get you started.
Ellin
This was a small book filled with tidbits about the fashion industry. I wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it. It was a very quick read. Among the things I learned was that haute couture is protected by French law and in order to use the label "haute couture", one must meet specific criteria such as designing and fitting private clients and presenting at least 35 looks for both day and evening to the French press at least twice a year. Who knew?!
Amanda
This is a cute little book that I received from the Goodreads Giveaways. It had a variety of topics dealing with fashion and sewing, including a little bit of history and the reasons why things are the way they are in clothing. It wasn't something I read front to back, but instead jumped around, switching between topics as they interested me. I think it would make a nice gift for someone who is particularly interested in fashion.
Nancy
It feels like the author said to his fashion-school buddies, Hey can you guys email me your favorite fashion pet peeve or the quote you have hanging by your desk? And then the author had his student intern throw it in a Word Document and presto. The awkward line drawings hurt. That said, I read the whole thing. I am that hungry for bite-sized information about fashion OR the book is actually not that bad.
Mary Ann
Cute , compact , concise; that about sums up this little book. Great to learn facts about the fashion business for student or lay person. There are ways to help with styling , fabric choices , and creativity with design. A touch of humor and sageness included!
Caren
Very cute . Each page has a little fun fact, a quote, an image..Simple layout. Young people, who are intrested in fashion design ,should take a look at it.
John
I love this series. There's a lot of good stuff on creativity in general, a lot of the specific stuff about clothes hasn't really sunk in.
Kevin Connery
Short, pithy examples--usually 2-3 paragraphs--but very well done. Recommended.
Rachel
An interesting read. Great for anyone who wants to go into fashion design!
Bianca Woods
Short, but full of interesting insight on the fashion design process.
Slava
Slava marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Balaji
Balaji marked it as to-read
Emily Richter
Emily Richter marked it as to-read
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Yoni
Yoni marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Ivory Mirza
Ivory Mirza marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kemi
Kemi added it
Dec 06, 2014
May Chua
May Chua marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Katai
Katai marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Patternmaking for Fashion Design
  • Draping for Apparel Design
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Fashion Design Course: Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Practical Guide for Aspiring Fashion Designers
  • The Art of Fashion Draping
  • 101 Things I Learned ® in Culinary School
  • Pattern Making for Fashion Design
  • Alexander McQueen: Genius of a Generation
  • Patterns of Fashion 1: Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construction C. 1660-1860
  • The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room