Start by marking “The Essential Odyssey” as Want to Read:
The Essential Odyssey

The Essential Odyssey

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  313 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This generous abridgment of Stanley Lombardo's translation of the Odyssey offers more than half of the epic, including all of its best-known episodes and finest poetry, while providing concise summaries for omitted books and passages. Sheila Murnaghan's Introduction, a shortened version of her essay for the unabridged edition, is ideal for readers new to this remarkable ta ...more
Published September 15th 2007 by Hackett Publishing Company, Inc. (first published September 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Odyssey

H
Aug 15, 2010 H added it
Shelves: poetry-long
A mediocre translation. Pentameter was a good choice but the rhythm itself is clunky and the modern idiom inane at best. I'd like to read the Greek myself one day and see if the redundant Homeric epithets "godlike" and "winged words" and "grey-eyed" are any better in the original. In any case, this was a quicker read than Robert Fagle's hexameter and overabundance of articles to fulfill syllable counts.

Magnificent re-experiencing the epic, though. In basic narratology, so little has changed sinc
Ainsley Dobson
Aug 24, 2015 Ainsley Dobson rated it really liked it
4.5 out of 5 stars

I really love the Odyssey in its original epic poem form, and it's one of my favorite books of all time, so I knew that I was going to like this one at the very least.

And I did, the story was as entertaining and interesting as ever, but I can't give it a five star rating because, unfortunately, I hated the way that the author translated this. It felt like a really awkward mix between Old English and New English, and those two just don't mix well. The awkward wording just didn'
Armand
Aug 06, 2010 Armand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This particular translation of the Odyssey (by Stanley Lombardo)is just wonderful because it's so accessible. This abridged version (it's still 250 pages) allows him to skip some of more extraneous chapters and stick with the meat of the story. His choice of language is also great because is able to use straightforward language that is easily accessible while maintaining the classical feel of the story. Not an easy task but he pulls it off in (in his own words)...

"In the tradition of American po
Rena
Aug 13, 2014 Rena rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, poetry_and_prose
I liked the Odyssey much more than the Illiad. I guess the adventure of the story was much more appealing than the rage and war of the Illiad. And I very much like Penelope and her character in all of this. I just found this more enjoyable.
Cindy
Dec 21, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it
Read this along with my son for his 9th grade English class. Had only read parts of it before. This translation was very readable (although the exact book is not in the database - the one we read was not abridged).
Steven Eldredge
Aug 02, 2014 Steven Eldredge rated it it was amazing
This was not the version I read. I read Lombardo's complete translation of the Odyssey, which doesn't seem to be in the goodreads database. Anyway, it's a fantastic, albeit very modern, translation.
John
Jun 09, 2014 John rated it liked it
The translation gets three stars.
Christine Bettis
Mar 21, 2015 Christine Bettis rated it it was amazing
This translation is a must.
Kathy
I had never read the full text of The Odyssey, only excerpts, so it was time to "read" the whole thing. Thanks to the wonderful Classics and the Western Canon group on Goodreads for the learned, thought-provoking discussion throughout. I listened to the Lombardo audio version--Lombardo is not only the translator in this case, but also the reader, and an excellent one at that. This poem was, of course, meant to be heard, and I think my experience of it was much better for the listening, and for t ...more
Christopher Yi
Sep 19, 2012 Christopher Yi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The translation was rather modern. Very interesting, almost like reading the NIV compared the King James. Easier to understand, sometimes a little less poetic. But, better translating than I could have done.

But yes, it's the classic tale of brave Odysseus who conquered the oceans and outwitted those braggart suitors! Everybody should read this tale once they are older than 18. A great lesson in manners and hospitality. Given, the exact way to carry out hospitality is ancient, we should apply muc
Bailey
Oct 24, 2011 Bailey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good education on greek mythology, told in a good story!
Recommended to Bailey by: my teacher
The Odyssey definitly had it's educational benfactors, and it also had it's funny moments. I liked it enough to finish it, and did like the all over big picture. My favorite parts would be discussing it, and argueing about it! That was a true laugh, discussing it with my english class! So I think 3 stars is justified. O I would like to add I finished it a while back, but I just havn't updated my account in a while! :)
Amanda Moore
Sep 23, 2013 Amanda Moore rated it really liked it
I have taught The Odyssey many times before and tend to prefer Fitzgerald's translation. Lombardo's is clean and simple, very straightforward. I miss some of the license other translations run with to create feeling as well as meaning, but this is a great text for 9th graders.
Amy
Oct 27, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 2013
Much to my surprise, I liked this translation. It keeps a modern English tone without devolving into anachronisms. It does sacrifice the so-called musicality of some of the older translations, but I think the trade-off is warranted.
Alice
Oct 29, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Love this translation. It actually approaches the idea that Homer was meant for a popular audience. If you are looking to appreciate the actual story-telling abilities of Homer and are not a classics nut, try this.
Henry
Mar 05, 2013 Henry rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, school
Very nice edition, in modern, accessible English. The translator "field tested" it by reciting to live audiences and thus refining it as he worked on it. Good reading for old and newcomers alike.
Alexiswelch
Oct 17, 2011 Alexiswelch rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book at all. If I was reading it on my own, I would've put it down after chapter one. It doesn't intrigue me at all, and I really don't like Odysseus. He is just annoying.
Katherine
Oct 19, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it moved too slow and it was too wordy. I have read better translations. I would like to read the original greek, unfortunately I don't speak greek.
Bill
Jul 16, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing
It's Homer! The epic is foundational for Western Civilization as a good read in any case. I'm no expert on translations, but I found the Lombardo version colorful and readable.
Amy
Sep 13, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, greek-roman, myth
This translation is sooooooooooooo good. Better by far than any other of sampled. I also got to hear Lombardo read from it live. THAT was awesome.
Autumn Cook
May 03, 2015 Autumn Cook rated it liked it
This is book was much better than The Iliad, but it was a little hard to comprehend
Robert Bickers
Oct 14, 2011 Robert Bickers rated it really liked it
Shelves: taught
This translation has a few curious linguistic quirks that yank me out from time to time, but the tale remains the same.
Parker
Oct 17, 2011 Parker rated it really liked it
Actually pretty good, better than I thought!
Aileen
Jul 03, 2013 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best modern translation I've seen. I seriously couldn't put it down.
Mfon Ntukidem
Mfon Ntukidem marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
MARU DALAGUIT
MARU DALAGUIT marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Nic
Nic rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Ianbjorg
Ianbjorg marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Ryan Iu
Ryan Iu rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
  • Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Co.: A Road Novel with Literary License
  • Slaying the Mermaid: Women and the Culture of Sacrifice
  • The Grounding of Modern Feminism
  • In Fact: The Best of Creative Nonfiction
  • The Night Battles: Witchcraft & Agrarian Cults in the Sixteenth & Seventeenth Centuries
  • Principles of Environmental Science: Inquiry and Applications
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change
  • The Bulldozer in the Countryside: Suburban Sprawl and the Rise of American Environmentalism
  • May Day: Poems
  • The Ocean Within
  • Queen for a Day: Selected And New Poems
In the Western classical tradition, Homer (Greek: Όμηρος) is considered the author of The Iliad and The Odyssey, and is revered as the greatest of ancient Greek epic poets. These epics lie at the beginning of the Western canon of literature, and have had an enormous influence on the history of literature.
When he lived is unknown. Herodotus estimates that Homer lived 400 years before his own time,
More about Homer...