Start by marking “PHP: The Good Parts” as Want to Read:
PHP: The Good Parts

PHP: The Good Parts

2.61 of 5 stars 2.61  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Get past all the hype about PHP and dig into the real power of this language. This book explores the most useful features of PHP and how they can speed up the web development process, and explains why the most commonly used PHP elements are often misused or misapplied. You'll learn which parts add strength to object-oriented programming, and how to use certain features to ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about PHP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PHP

Elene Latsoshvili
The book has absolutely nothing in common with 'JavaScript the Good Parts' by Douglas Crockford, except for the name. Sometimes it tries to be a reference book and gets into details with some functions, sometimes it stuffs large concepts in one page - not unexpected in case of 170 pages. The book is too scattered for beginners and has nothing new for experienced ones. Some parts were exceptionally irritating like 'I am not a big fan of cookies. I hardly use them, but they do have their place... ...more
James Kubecki
I started reading the book because I'm working in PHP a little but am "self-taught" on it. I wanted something like Crockford's similarly titled JavaScript: The Good Parts, to cover both the basics of PHP that I may not have encountered in my self-taught tinkering, as well as the "cool tricks" that seasoned developers have learned.
I was disappointed to find that this book contained neither. Even the basics covered are
extremely basic at BEST. I got to the section on "getters and setters," which,
Enrique Barbeito
In my opinion the title of this book doesn't correspond to its content. All topics are treated without any deep (for example the chapter about "objects" it's simply a joke, sorry). May be I misunderstood the purpose of this book but, in general, I didn't like it.
Avinash Kumar
I liked the part that the book is a pretty light read but to be honest, the title is misleading. There are many things about PHP that weren't discussed in this book. I'd still recommend this book to someone who wants to get a feel of how things work in PHP.

Maxim Chetruşca
A very quick intro to PHP. The good thing is that it is short. Some general concepts are misleading or even erroneous (OOP section, for example). After reading this book, I have a general idea about PHP.
Todd Thelin
This was an alright book, but there seemed to be a lot of the nitty gritty missing. I know that there are better books for PHP amateurs. My thoughts are my own.
Nikolay
Вътре нямаше нищо. Не е добра нито за начинаещи (много откъслечни познания), нито за напреднали (нищо ново). Хора посредата може и да научат нещо дребно.
Vinny
Vinny added it
Oct 20, 2014
Patrick Kang
Patrick Kang marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Osama
Osama marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Yory
Yory marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Fathy Emam
Fathy Emam marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Гери
Гери is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
أحمد الملاح
أحمد الملاح marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Chandhu
Chandhu marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Fisto Blastero
Fisto Blastero is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Odd Incidents in Olden Times - Ancient Records of Inveraray Retirement Lifestyle Protection: For Women Retirement Lifestyle Protection: For Women Pro PHP Programming PHP. Le tecniche per scrivere il codice migliore