Start by marking “PHP: The Good Parts” as Want to Read:
PHP: The Good Parts

PHP: The Good Parts

2.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Get past all the hype about PHP and dig into the real power of this language. This book explores the most useful features of PHP and how they can speed up the web development process, and explains why the most commonly used PHP elements are often misused or misapplied. You'll learn which parts add strength to object-oriented programming, and how to use certain features to ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about PHP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PHP

Elene Latsoshvili
Jan 12, 2014 Elene Latsoshvili rated it did not like it
Shelves: programming
The book has absolutely nothing in common with 'JavaScript the Good Parts' by Douglas Crockford, except for the name. Sometimes it tries to be a reference book and gets into details with some functions, sometimes it stuffs large concepts in one page - not unexpected in case of 170 pages. The book is too scattered for beginners and has nothing new for experienced ones. Some parts were exceptionally irritating like 'I am not a big fan of cookies. I hardly use them, but they do have their place... ...more
James Kubecki
Apr 27, 2016 James Kubecki rated it did not like it
I started reading the book because I'm working in PHP a little but am "self-taught" on it. I wanted something like Crockford's similarly titled JavaScript: The Good Parts, to cover both the basics of PHP that I may not have encountered in my self-taught tinkering, as well as the "cool tricks" that seasoned developers have learned.
I was disappointed to find that this book contained neither. Even the basics covered are
extremely basic at BEST. I got to the section on "getters and setters," which,
N
Jun 06, 2015 N rated it did not like it
Shelves: it
Hands down the worst book about PHP I've ever read.
Enrique Barbeito
May 01, 2013 Enrique Barbeito rated it did not like it
In my opinion the title of this book doesn't correspond to its content. All topics are treated without any deep (for example the chapter about "objects" it's simply a joke, sorry). May be I misunderstood the purpose of this book but, in general, I didn't like it.
Avinash Kumar
Nov 28, 2010 Avinash Kumar rated it it was ok
I liked the part that the book is a pretty light read but to be honest, the title is misleading. There are many things about PHP that weren't discussed in this book. I'd still recommend this book to someone who wants to get a feel of how things work in PHP.

Maxim Chetruşca
Nov 05, 2013 Maxim Chetruşca rated it it was ok
A very quick intro to PHP. The good thing is that it is short. Some general concepts are misleading or even erroneous (OOP section, for example). After reading this book, I have a general idea about PHP.
Todd Thelin
Jan 25, 2011 Todd Thelin rated it it was ok
Shelves: web-design
This was an alright book, but there seemed to be a lot of the nitty gritty missing. I know that there are better books for PHP amateurs. My thoughts are my own.
Nikolay
Apr 19, 2012 Nikolay rated it it was ok
Вътре нямаше нищо. Не е добра нито за начинаещи (много откъслечни познания), нито за напреднали (нищо ново). Хора посредата може и да научат нещо дребно.
sahithi gandham
sahithi gandham marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Snex
Snex marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Neeraj
Neeraj added it
Jan 05, 2016
Justin Yost
Justin Yost rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Eng Mostafa
Eng Mostafa marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Jack-Benny
Jack-Benny rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2015
Yash
Yash marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Bryan Brown
Bryan Brown is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2015
Lorenzo
Lorenzo rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Dustin L Moore
Dustin L Moore rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Mar 28, 2015
places to be
places to be marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Dean Dachev
Dean Dachev marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Abhi Agarwal
Abhi Agarwal rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »