Start by marking “Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty, #1)

Bad Kitty (Bad Kitty #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  4,266 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
Meet Jasmine, 1 forensic supersleuth, 2 aspiring Model Daughter, 3 and friend to animals. 4 One second she's trying to enjoy her Vegas Vacation, 5 the next she's tangled up in an outrageous adventure and has to outwit a crazed killer before he ends ten lives, one of them her own. 6

1 Hi! That's me!
2 I. Wish.
3 Emphasis on aspiring. Current status: failing.
4 If friend means "
Published January 27th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Kitty

Emma
May 18, 2007 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The phrase laugh out loud isn’t used that often now that “lol” has flooded the Internet in a big way. Personally, I think that’s a loss. It’s also a subject for a different kind of post though. My point here is that people don’t often talk about things that really make them laugh out loud–literally laughing, out loud. “Bad Kitty” is a novel that had me laughing for most of it. It also has the distinction of having zero one star reviews on amazon.com. And, to make it even cooler, “Bad Kitty” is a
Denise
Jul 19, 2008 Denise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any S.A.S.S. or Rennison fan
Shelves: for-work
I barely got through this one. At first I thought it was very cute, even looking past the unrealistic elements (being able to go to late night parties unchaperoned in Vegas, complete cluelessness by most characters, etc.). But then the "cuteness" got old fast because it was just so overdone. And all of that secondary conversation happening at the bottom on almost every page - sheesh!!! The only thing that stopped me from just putting it down was I wanted to know who dunnit. But I do realize that ...more
Sara Grochowski
Oct 18, 2009 Sara Grochowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few of Michele Jaffe's books for adults (The Stargazer, etc), but this is the first of her books for younger adults that I'd read. I wasn't sure that I wanted to read it - in fact, it came out a few years ago and I always passed by it, but I TOTALLY regret that now. Because this book is totally, totally HILARIOUS! For real - I absolutely loved it.
I like books that have a mystery element - especially one that doesn't have really obvious solution right from the beginning (becaus
Lucy
Jan 26, 2009 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It's about a girl named Jasmine that likes to pretend to solve crimes. While she is at a family vacation she gets her self in to a real crime. Her friends come to help her solve the crime. This book is good for someone that likes a teen/mystery-adventure.
Jan 05, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most books I read, a friend recommended reading Bad Kitty. Contemporary YA isn't really my thing given my usual choice of anything paranormal, but she talked up how incredibly funny Bad Kitty was. She went so far as to post the first haiku, and I nearly snorted out my drink. So, I basically ran to the library to get the book.

I didn't stop laughing through the entire book! My husband would roll over in bed wondering what exactly was so funny, and I'd read him snippets. He'd look at me lik
Watermelon Daisy

Bad Kitty is one of those books where I understand why certain people might like it.

But I disliked it. It was far too girly, and though it had laughable moments, it fell short to the cheesiness. I guess there’s a limit to chick-lit-girliness for me, and I’m sure others with a more affectionate taste would love this book. Really, it’s just the life of a girl who happens to be in the right place at the right time and finds herself involved in all sorts of drama and mystery.

There’s the usual aspect
Lindsey Leavitt
Jan 17, 2011 Lindsey Leavitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is still one of my all time favorite YA books. Laughed laughed laughed. And Vegas setting. Full of win.
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 06, 2012 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a fun read and light adventure.
What a great read! Bad Kitty is witty and fun right from the beginning and doesn't let up until the very end. Jasmine is a great heroine and her friends are excellent compliments to her need to discover.

Bad Kitty is often laugh-out-loud funny with the occasional tender moment. My favorite part has to be the footnotes that break the fourth wall (as well as develop some of the central characters better).

The only sour note, for me, is Jasmine's dad. Any kid who has maintained a passion for over a d
Ayla
May 23, 2010 Ayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any teenaged girl who wants a funny book with a gripping plot.
Recommended to Ayla by: my sister
From the cover, you'd think this book was a book for five year olds who dress in all pink every day and are only reading because their mommies say it will make them smarter. That assumption is wrong, although the cover is very unfitting for the book. And so is the title, come to think of it. A cat is only mentioned once in the whole book, and that is at the very beginning. The book is really about a girl named Jas, who thinks she has no talent. She has three friends that are hilarious and each h ...more
Jill
Jun 06, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cutesy-books
I admit, the name and especially the cover are kind of a turn off for me, but hopefully what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in story. It is what is inside that counts. Ya. But seriously, I really dislike this cover.
So far it seems good but it is a different format with different style writing so it takes some getting used to.

That. Was. Awesome!!!
I loved the story, the characters, and I even admit I did not see parts of the ending coming.
Jas, as well as her friends, Polly, Roxy, and Tom, we
Almeta
Nov 27, 2011 Almeta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dying2read
I've read some "Young Adult" literature and wondered what earned them that classification. They seemed to be "Old Adult" literature to me!

This book would definitely be most enjoyed by the younger set. I felt as if I was getting in touch with my "inner Valley Girl", although I don't ever remember being "boy crazy". At least not to the point of wanting to undress them; that came much later in life for me! (Yet memory and old age dementia are related.)

Anyway, the mystery is convoluted enough that I
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

If you’re looking for fun, fashion and super-sleuthing, then look no further than Michele Jaffe’s heroine, Jas Calihan! Jas attracts trouble like moths to a flame, so when she tries to enjoy a family holiday in Las Vegas, it’s no surprise to her friends that she ends up embroiled in a mysterious plot involving kidnapping, murder and incredibly good-looking guy who’s totally Visa (read the book – you’ll know what I mean!).

This is the first in what promises to be a witty an
Melanie
So I plowed through this, staying up late for just one more chapter... I LOVED this book! So much fun, so funny, great characters and Jas was hilarious with her life lessons and superpowers. The out of book asides got annoying after a while, but not enough to deter from how absolutely delightful the rest of the book was. I can't wait to read the next one - and a few adult books by this author. Seriously good stuff, if you like YA or funny chick lit/mysteries, this one is a must-read.
Audrey
Nov 17, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was SO funny. I laughed over and over again while reading it. I loved all the characters and I was so happy when Tom and Polly got together! That was a spoiler, so oops! But it's pretty obvious. Anyway. have fun reading it. It's a pretty short and fluffy read.
Lexi
"Bad Kitty" is very hysterical and cleverly written.This book is a page turner and cracked into my top ten favourite books. KUDOS MICHELE JAFFE!!! :)
Bree
Apr 28, 2008 Bree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. Brilliantly far-fetched. Be prepared to look like a freak if you read this book in public because you'll be laughing out loud.
CeJayCe
Feb 17, 2010 CeJayCe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book currently stands as #1 on my All-Time Favorites list. Comedy, mystery, romance, murder, intrigue, AND great fashion. What more could any one book offer?
Mimi Valentine
This book was pure FUN! I loved it, and those footnotes always had me laughing out loud! :) <3
Andrew Green
Oct 06, 2014 Andrew Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, I loved the end however I did prodict it. but I guess I do read alot of these types of books.
Ashley
A good 3.5 stars - a reread from forever ago, and still good despite some small issues I had for it.
Blogger Girl
Feb 12, 2014 Blogger Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and worth your time
Lucy Fitez
Mar 20, 2017 Lucy Fitez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious and really well written. I love Michele Jaffe and her quirky but interesting writing style!
Laura Martinelli
Compared to Michelle Jaffe’s current run of ‘rich white girl with problems’ psychological thrillers (which I have enjoyed), I liked this book a lot more. While the mystery element isn’t as deep or complex as say, Rosebush, this is just straight-out plucky girl detective fluff. And it’s exactly the kind of cotton candy brain fluff that I love to read—interesting characters, a decent plot hook and just plain old fun.

Jas is fantastic. She does read a little younger than seventeen at times, but over
Gabi
Jul 01, 2014 Gabi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Short version:

Read this for mindless fun. And I do mean mindless. Don't think, not at all. Think and you're dead.

Long rant version:

I have come to the end of this "twisty" mystery novel left with more questions than I could ever hope to answer. Not about the who committed the crime—that, at least, was pretty obvious to me about three-quarters of the way in. But as for everything else? I'm stumped.

Who were these characters? Can anyone tell me why one they had bizarrely specific talents in compl
Julie Lectures D'Une Nuit
J’ai découvert Michele JAFFE avec Fleur de Fantôme (http://lecturesdunenuit.blogspot.fr/2...) que j’avais beaucoup apprécié et je suis tombée par hasard sur ce live. Il est complètement différent de Fleur de Fantôme mais tout aussi intéressant. Ici, humour et enquête policière sont au rendez-vous.
Jasmine, Jaz pour les intimes, est en vacances à Las Vegas en train d’admirer les abdos d’un charmant jeune homme quand un chat lui saute sur la poitrine et qu’un gamin lui demande de le sauver. Sans le
Tasha
Apr 13, 2008 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jas is a 6 foot tall seventeen year old who loves a good mystery. The thing is, her father can't stand her gallivanting around trying to solve these mysteries. After a summer spent being a medical assistant at her uncle's practice she is ready to take her annual summer vacation with her family. Her first day in Las Vegas, at the glamorous Venetian hotel, seems to be perfect. The sun is shining and Jas is having a wonderful time eyeing the hot guy standing by the snack bar. Then her evil cousin A ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andie Z. for TeensReadToo.com

Andie Z
May 24, 2011 Andie Z rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Reviewed for TeensReadToo

BAD KITTY is the story of Jasmine Callihan, amateur super sleuth and trouble magnet extraordinaire. While on vacation with her family in Las Vegas, all she wants to do is lounge around by the pool, check out the cute guy she saw at the snack hut, and, most of all, be a Model Daughter and prove to her dad that she can stay out of trouble. This lasts for all of about five minutes, until a little boy and his three-legged cat entangle her, "literally," in a murder mystery.

Ad
P.S. Malcolm
Jan 07, 2016 P.S. Malcolm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friday-reviews
I picked this up when I was much younger, and I have re-read it many times since. My love for this book will never cease.

Meet Jas; she's hilarious and sarcastic. She's got about 99 problems and funnily enough, a cat really isn't one of them. However, the cat did succeed to set off a string of events that lead to the funniest murder mystery you've ever read, and landed them in a situation where they were pretty close to being dead…

Whoops.

Jas has amazing friends. Polly, the fashionista. She's cont
Shayla
Aug 19, 2014 Shayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Super easy read.

There are 3 main things I would change about this book:
1.) The cover of the copy I checked out of the library has this AWFUL cover with "Bad Kitty" in big cheetah print words. Ugh, it is seriously a monstrosity and I refused to read this around even my family members. Thankfully it seems that this isn't the main cover version on this book.

2.) The title! The cat in this book has like nothing to do with the story???? He's the catalyst for
Natural Skin Care Products 1 1 May 01, 2015 11:41PM
What's The Name o...: Teenage spy [s] 2 80 Dec 27, 2011 05:35PM
BAD KITTY 2 20 Jan 25, 2009 07:02PM
  • Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Death by Bikini (Death By Mysteries, #1)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Perfect Cover (The Squad, #1)
  • Missing You (1-800-Where-R-You, #5)
  • Enthusiasm
  • Strange Relations
  • How My Private, Personal Journal Became a Bestseller
  • Fame, Glory, and Other Things on My To Do List
  • Blackthorn Winter
Michele Jaffe (b. March 20 in Los Angeles, California), is an American writer. She has authored novels in several genres, including historical romance, suspense thrillers, and novels for Young Adults.
More about Michele Jaffe...

Bad Kitty (2 books)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)

“It's so nice to have sane friends.
I imagine.”
32 likes
“Little Life Lesson 51: When selecting a member of a group to put on the Endangered Species List, it’s probably best not to pick the least popular person, because there is always a chance everyone will shrug and be like, "Um, okay. Hey, anyone want pizza?" and leave.” 23 likes