R Is for Rocket

R Is for Rocket

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  3,675 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Contents:
R Is for Rocket (1943)
The End of the Beginning (1956)
The Fog Horn (1951)
The Rocket (1950)
The Rocket Man (1951)
The Golden Apples of the Sun (1953)
A Sound of Thunder (1952)
The Long Rain (1950)
The Exiles (1949)
Here There Be Tygers (1951)
The Strawberry Window (1955)
The Dragon (1955)
The Gift (1952)
Frost and Fire (1946)
Uncle Einar (1947)
The Time Machine (1955)
The Sound...more
Mass Market Paperback, 184 pages
Published March 1st 1969 by Bantam Books (first published October 1962)

Shivering William
Leave me with any Ray Bradbury book, and it will quickly be devoured it short, neat order. You're never sure what you're going with Bradbury. It might be fantasy, it might be sci-fi, it might be a cute story about a boy getting a gift on Christmas. More often than not, it's a hybrid. But one thing's certain about his short story collections: you're going to get some duds.

I avoided this particular collection for a long time because of the title. That was a dumb mistake I'd like to think I'll nev...more
Harry Kane
A lovely thin hardcover with illustrations lived in my room through my childhood and teenage years. At least once a year I would revisit 'R is for Rocket', again and again listening to the forlonrn blare of the preshistoric monster from the deep, fly in Bodoni's virtual rocket, pop 'food pills' and race to the local space-port to watch rockets blast off.
Some day I'll try to pay my respects by writing fiction in which people travel through space in rockets, it rains on Venus, Mars has crumbling...more
Benjamin
Ray Bradbury was my first "favorite author."

I'm sure that's true for lots of people.

There was a bookstore in Milwaukee, somewhere on the East Side, called Webster's Bookstore, the only bookstore during my childhood to have a special section just for dinosaur books. I pestered my father often to take me there, and sometimes he acquiesced, and I would slowly make my way through the shelf devoted to prehistoric things, trying to narrow down the collection to just one book I could ask my father to...more
Loton Cagle
I first read this collection in 7th grade. A few years ago, I bought all the beautiful hardbound reprints from PS Press and also from Subterranean Press. Bradbury stories deserve these editions and they glorify my bookshelves now. Tragically, we just lost a giant. Ray Bradbury has passed away. I grabbed this book and read it after hearing the news.
There are great and famous stories here. The Foghorn....the story of a lighthouse foghorn singing its sad song....and calling up something from the de...more
Ashley
Before I tell you what I thought of this book, I should note that this is only my second Ray Bradbury book, after Fahrenheit 451. I really, really loved Fahrenheit too.

This book was both good and bad, since it was full of short stories. Seventeen short stories in all and most were science fiction, Bradbury's specialty.
These were my favorites and the reasons why:

The Fog Horn - Loch Ness is in love with a foghorn. What is there not to like?
The Long Rain - By far the most horrifying of all the stor...more
Raj
This is possibly the best book I've read all year. Maybe not technically brilliant, but its heart and soul more than made up for that. It's a collection of short stories written in the '40s and '50s and they are all wonderful. These are the sorts of stories that remind me why I love science fiction: not only do they evoke a sense of joy and wonder at the amazing universe we live in, but Bradbury's writing is poetic, gets under your skin and is a joy to read.

The stories are true Golden Age stuff,...more
Amanda
Bradbury will always be the quintessential space-themed sci-fi writer for me. His descriptions of space - of the feelings and dreams associated with it - are without equal, and this short fiction collection contains a number of excellent stories that epitomize his style. However, like any collection of short fiction, it does have its weak points. "Here There Be Tygers" is a great example: an ongoing analogy of an unstable planet as a woman - fickle and fake. Well, it was written in the '50s, but...more
Christopher Munroe
Yeah, this is a thing now. Bradbury before bedtime. And I continue to be thrilled by it even as I continue to not bother explaining in these five-star reviews precisely WHY you ought to read short stories by Ray Bradbury. Because I shouldn't have to. It's Ray Bradbury. You should know already that it's awesome and the approximate reasons why, even if you've yet to actually read any of his work.

And; If you haven't read any of his work, hang your head in shame. Then go buy some of his work and rea...more
Chris
R is for Rocket is a small collection of 17 short stories written by Ray Bradbury.

Overall I was not very impressed with this book; it didn’t seem up to the usual standard I’ve come to expect from Bradbury’s imagination. Not all of the stories were science fiction which surprised me and many of those that were science fiction I had already read elsewhere. For example; The Rocket Man, The Long Rain and The Rocket were all featured in another (and vastly superior) collection of Bradbury’s short sto...more
MisterFweem
I admit to having a love/hate relationship with Ray Bradbury's short stories.

LOVE: They're poetically written.

HATE: They're filled with the cliches of hostile aliens and alien worlds. Can't mankind visit a place and fight his own self-destructive tendencies or apes (h/t to Scott Meyer) rather than hostile aliens?

LOVE: The stories' old feel. Bradbury is steeped in the science fiction of the pulp era, where they're not afraid to do put near anything.

I suppose, at least, it's good that he doesn't h...more
Fox
Farewell summer, Ray Bradbury. Got the news just as I finished reading this book.
Ανδρέας (Καπανδρέου)
Ο Ray Bradbury – γνωστότερος για το έργο του Φαρενάιτ 451 [Fahrenheit 451] – έγραψε τα συγκεκριμένα διηγήματα την δεκαετία του 50 (και κάποια τη δεκαετία του 40) όταν στην Αμερική αναπτυσσόταν με ραγδαίους ρυθμούς η τεχνολογία αλλά και η φιλολογία που αφορούσε τα διαστημόπλοια (πυραύλους). Έτσι, πέρα από τη λογοτεχνική αξία των διηγημάτων, είναι ενδιαφέρον να παρατηρήσει κάποιος, μέσα από αυτά, τις αντιλήψεις των ανθρώπων της εποχής, για την εξέλιξη της τεχνολογίας, τα ταξίδια στο διάστημα και τ...more
Al

Ray Bradbury
★★★★

Fantasy Fiction; American, Fantasy Fiction, Science Fiction; American, Science Fiction, Fiction, Fantasy, General, Science Fiction, Short Stories (Single Author)

A spaceship captain determined to gather a cupful of the sun. . .a nubile young witch who yearns to taste human love. . .an expedition that hunts dinosaurs across the fragile and dangerous chasm of time. . . These strange and wonderful tales of beauty and terror will transport you from t

Sandi
I recently reread this collection of short stories with an eye to putting together a conference paper proposal. Even though I didn't put together a great proposal, I am glad I reread the book--the stories are mesmerizing. Bradbury has this amazing way of leaving just enough of a thread between stories (which is stronger in The Martian Chronicles) so that the line between story worlds is fuzzy and there's a blending of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror that results in a sci-fi setting with a narrative...more
blake
Back when I first read both of them in high school, I used to think of Bradbury in the same breath as Asimov. Only now do I see the vast gulf that separates the two. Bradbury is actually a writer, whereas Asimov was mostly an idea man.

In reading this short story collection, I'm struck by two things: a) the poetry of his words, and b) the sheer breadth of the subjects he broaches and tones he portrays. I never realized how versatile he was. A lot of his stuff is just bizarre (I'm talking about y...more
Alexis
It seems like Ray Bradbury is only capable of conveying two feelings with his writing; nostalgia or a sense of foreboding. When he does it well, he does it really well. When he doesn't, at least for the 'nostalgia stories', he becomes quite corny. The stories in R is for Rocket are old, and have an aura of very corny fiftiesness. "The Gift", "The Sound of Summer Running", the title story and a couple more are all variations of the dreaming teenage boy of the pre-space era theme and have lost wha...more
Todd
Absolutely wonderful. I recently read and reviewed Bradbury's "Let's All Kill Constance." I was not complimentary in my review, as I really didn't feel that his distinctive voice fit the story he was trying to tell. Of course, shortly thereafter he passed away, and I felt bad that I had just negatively reviewed him, as he has been one of my favorite authors for soooo long. This book was the first book I read by him - I clearly recall checking both it and "S is for Space" out of the library as a...more
Chris
I picked up this book because I thought it would be fun to read a little classic science fiction. Unfortunately, after reading a few of the short stories I decided I wasn't enjoying the book enough to continue. As I've noticed before with Bradbury's work, he's exceptionally creative and thoughtful, but just not a very good writer. Dialogue in this book feels unrealistic, descriptions are overdone, and Bradbury efforts to convey majesty and emotion to his reader seem forced. I'm sure that, at the...more
Uli Kusterer
A beautiful, collection of short stories about rockets, childhood and coming of age that doesn't and doesn't have to make the distinction between serious literature, scifi and fantasy, but rather just employs the latter as stylistic devices, as they should be used. Some of the plots would fit in the universe of Orson Scott Card's "Capitol", but then it's never really about the plot with Bradbury. It does read well as a future history of space travel, and feels a bit like Gordon Dickson's "The Ma...more
Mike
What if a foghorn sounded like the mating call of a sea serpent? What if you could safari back in time to hunt dinosaurs? What if you lived on Mars but longed for the comforts of home on Earth? What if you were marooned outside on Venus in the longest, hardest rainfall that never lets up? What if you were born and raised on Mercury where the lifespan is only eight days? What if some very clever someone thought to write these stories and collect them all into one classic collection? I've got good...more
Louis Lowy
Bradbury is a master storyteller for a reason. Sure, this collection of short stories are cloaked in science fiction and revolve around knights who chase iron dragons, living planets, winged men and lonely prehistoric creatures, but what they're really about are hope, dreams, wonderment, desire and needs. As with any author who transcends his or her genre, these stories are not about that particular style, they are about the universal wants in all of us and our struggle to achive them.
Melanti
This anthology made me as incredibly sad.

How did the USA go from a nation so enamored with space and space travel that our writers produced such stories as these, to a nation who ignored space unless disaster happens, to a nation that has no space program at all?

I love the wonder that Bradbury puts into everything - even into the shoes of childhood. I'd read most of these stories in other collections, but that doesn't matter since I find his shorter fiction to be easily re-readable.
Steve
A classic and a terrific intro to Bradbury. The 17 stories include at least 5 that rate as true American classics: The Fog Horn, The Golden Apples of the Sun, A Sound of Thunder, Here There Be Tygers, and The Sound of Summer Running. The latter story was my introduction to Bradbury in the mid-seventies, when science fiction was verboten and Bradbury was still painted with only that one brush--the story is so powerful that it made it into a 5th grade reader against all odds!
Matt McClard
Nov 19, 2008 Matt McClard rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Lovers
Sad, I know, but I didn't realize until I actually started reading this book that it was a bunch of short stories. However I did really enjoy the book. My favorite was Fire and Ice. Ray Bradbury does an excellent job of taking you into a world and showing you around in R is for Rocket. I was always excited to start the next story just to see what the setting would be.

I recommend this to anyone who likes rockets, Ray Bradbury, and sci-fi.
Katie
I can't say enough good things about this book. I couldn't read it in one siting, as I normally would, because after most of the stories I needed to stop and absorb them, imaging my own tangents to them. I felt as though I had been through whatever happened with the characters themselves. The one that struck me the most was (view spoiler)
Iris
This anthology of short stories by Ray Bradbury was pure brilliance. They take you on a rocket and fly you to an entirely different star system. In my opinion, the best stories were The Exiles and Here There Be Tygers. They showed a different view of our future and how wonderful or horrible it could be. Also, Frost and Fire was an excellent example of the fragility of life. These sci-fi stories have brought a whole new perspective to the future.
Candice Beever
I bought this at a used book store for $1 and I've been slowly working my way through it ever since. It's a collection of short stories, so it was easy to pick up and put down as I pleased. In fact, I found it better to only read one or two stories in a sitting, to give myself time to absorb them.

I enjoyed all the stories, but I particularly loved R is for Rocket and Rocket Man.
Brian
Aug 11, 2008 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: Peter Neve
Shelves: science-fiction
My favorite collection of Ray Bradbury short stories. This collection contains 'A Sound of Thunder', which singlehandedly got me into reading when I was younger (though the movie they made a few years back was atrocious). Like the title suggests, most of the stories deal with science fiction themes. This book goes well with the collection 'S is for Space', also by Bradbury.
Caitlin
This is such a good collection of short stories! Frost and Fire is a must read. There are some duds, but not that many. Ray Bradburry's style of writing really gives you a feel for whatever world that particular story is about. If it's sun drenched, you feel sun drenched as you read it. I rarely feel satisfied with short stories, but he knows how to do it right.
Corvinus Maximilus
Jul 04, 2012 Corvinus Maximilus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: brilliant, sci-fi
I enjoyed every single story, sci-fi stories with heart. I am now currently obsessed with "Frost and Fire". This particular story has crawled into my mind and consumed me; I keep asking questions about what it would be like to be in the same situation. Would I want to try and miss out on youth? I don't know...I don't know...it was the best story ever.
  • Tales Of Ten Worlds (Gollancz)
  • Shatterday
  • The Best of Fritz Leiber
  • Nine Tomorrows
  • Big Blonde and Other Stories (Penguin 60s)
  • The Anything Box
  • Ribofunk
  • Year's Best SF 8
  • The John Varley Reader
  • Star Songs of an Old Primate
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine