Start by marking “Anna and the Duke (The MacLaughlins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna and the Duke (The MacLaughlins, #1)

Anna and the Duke (The MacLaughlins)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  699 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Anna
At the very least, anyone else in Anna Welsley's position would be satisfied. Anna is to inherit a fortune, and after a glittering London debut last Season, she is now engaged to a duke's son. Anna herself does not understand the vague feeling of dissatisfaction. While her mother industriously plans Anna's wedding, Anna herself reads poetry and wonders if what she's in
Paperback, An Avon True Romance #3, 304 pages
Published May 1st 2002 by HarperTeen (first published April 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Anna and the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna and the Duke

Victoria and the Rogue by Meg CabotGwyneth and the Thief by Margaret MooreNicola and the Viscount by Meg CabotAmelia and the Outlaw by Lorraine HeathEmily and the Scot by Kathryn Smith
Avon True Romances
7th out of 12 books — 16 voters
Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareDaddy-Long-Legs by Jean WebsterSeven Daughters and Seven Sons by Barbara CohenTime Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi
Old-School Teen Historical Romance
47th out of 178 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
This historical teen,ya romance starts off when Ewan McLaughlin, who has lived with his Grandmother all his life in a small Scottish village where his family's Castle lies falling into dilapidation receives a letter to say that he must go to London at once because his father (who he has never had contact since baby and early toddler hood) has died and has left him the title of Duke. Angry and wondering why his father left the title to him, Ewan is reluctant to go to London but goes to meet his F ...more
Books With
The benefits of reading Anna and the Duke:

It’s like Jane Austen with training wheels. You know those water wings that you strap to little kids who don’t know how to swim yet? Anna and the Duke, and by extension the entire Avon True Romance series, is like that. There are no sex scenes and very little sexual implications. The novel is a good length and does not lose steam. It gives its readers an elegant taste of the time period, with all the delicious tidbits like carriages and poetry by Byron.
Sheetal Dash
Anna and the Duke is an intriguing book, with an interesting plot. But the book is, for lack of a better word, cheesy. The characters are interesting. Anna and the Duke is actually the first of two books that feature MacLaughlin men. Emily and the Scot is the sequel, and both books have a wonderful cast of lively, believable characters that you’ll wish are your real life friends. Ewan is the quintessential Prince Charming with a Scottish flair, and with her keen wit Anna proves herself to be mor ...more
Kelli
As book covers go, its pretty bad. And the writing isn't really great either, its cliched and cheesy. However, its an interesting story line and your sucked into the story of Ewan and his birthright as the next duke. It is most definitely no Georgette Heyer, but it serves its purpose as a light read. I read the whole avon true romance series in high school and I rate this one as one of the better ones of that grouping.
April
Feb 16, 2008 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one who likes romances.
I have read this book many times. It is a romance novel with a bit of action thrown in. In this book Ewan finds out that his estranged father left him a dukedom. When he go to claim it he finds out that he has a half-brother and a half-sister as well as a stepmother. This is the story of the fight between Ewan and his half-brother Richard for the dukedom and for Anna's hand in marriage.
Savanah Sutton
Jan 24, 2014 Savanah Sutton rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Younger teens interested in romance, Romance Lovers
Ewan Maclaughlin, a young Scottish lord, reluctantly goes to England when his estranged father, an English duke, dies and names him his heir even though he has a son with his second wife. Obviously this is not something he particularly wants to go do. He doesn't want his fathers title and he can't make himself grieve for someone he only vaguely remembers. He stops by a book store and meets Anna Welsley, a bookish young lady, and is instantly spell bound. She ends up letting him take the book tha ...more
Alyssa
Okay, so this is totally a YA romance novel, but I loved it! It's a good love story without any mushy adult scenes.It's good to read if one is in a nostalgic mood. FYI: I've never read an adult romance novel nor do I want to.
Kathryn  Cooper
I just re-reading this one because I couldn't remember what happened. It's an easy read that has clean romance. It's connected with Emily and the Scot so read Anna and the Duke first.
Rebecca
Eighteen-year-old Anna Welsley should be happy, or at least content. Her position is to secure. She's to inherit a fortune from her father's business, and is engaged to Richard Fitzgerald, the son of a duke. But instead, Anna finds herself dissatisfied, wondering if she even feels anything for Richard. When Lord Fitzgerald dies, Richard expects he will inherit his father's title of Duke of Brahm. But on his deathbed, Richard's father revealed that he had been married before, and that his true he ...more
Kathy
I liked this one. While it was written for a YA audience, it is one anyone could enjoy. I thought it was a good regency with a fun plot and likable characters. Anna was a good heroine, I didn’t like that she was kissing someone behind her fiancé’s back, even if her fiancé was a loser. However, I could put that annoyance aside and still enjoy the relationship between Anna and Ewan. Ewan was a likable character, very understanding. A part of me did wish that the brothers could have reconciled. I l ...more
Hannah Cliff
My sixteen year old self devoured this book in a day, a fun light historical romance, for teen girls who are a bit fed up with the modern teenage boys around them ;)
Madeleine
It was really good. It was a romance story without all the swooning and exaggerated passions. Ewan was a handsome young fellow in Scotland, but he was also English, from his father's side. He return to England to find that his father has left everything to him, as being his firstborn. However, the late Duke did not mention Ewan to his English wife and two children Richard and Emily. Richard grew up hoping to replace the late Duke as Duke himself. So the return of Ewan, or discovery to them, was ...more
Sophia
I've had enough of this book. I can't take any more of this nonsense.
Erin H
Mar 07, 2012 Erin H rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpo
I loved reading about a hero who blushes! Ewan was such a different hero than I'm used to reading and it was excellent! I loved him and Anna together because they just seemed perfect for each other. It felt like they had such a honest, and at the same time, an innocent connection that really worked for the story. The plot was also interesting. I'm usually not a fan of siblings being the antagonist but the character of Richard really worked. I liked how everything came about in the end. What a sw ...more
Bg
OMG I can't believe I read this book! There is nothing more embarrassing then reading a short romantic period piece that was so embarrassing that you don't even want people to know you read it, let alone touched it.
I don't even have to explain the plot in this book, it was as predictable as watching Barney and did I mention embarrassing. If you want a good period piece book look up Libba Bray's A Great and Terrible Beauty to wash off the stain this book leaves on the literary mind.
Katrina Knittle
I really enjoyed this one. It is deifnitely a book anyone could enjoy. It was filled with a fun plot and likable characters. Anna was a very fun main character. I really liked her. Anna and Ewan have a good relationship. The only thing I really didn't like about this book was how Anna was kissing Ewan behind her fiance's back. CHeating is never right no matter what. At least in my opinion. A cute read. I hope to read mroe from the author.
Allie Peplowski
I love this book so much. I have read it and re-read it so many times I need to keep tracking down copies coz I keep wearing mine out. I love the use of "she walks in beauty" by Lord Byron in the book. I take this book with me when I sit by the pool in the summer, with me on long car rides, on airplane trips, and curled up on the couch near the Christmas tree :). Definitely one of my favorite books. I just wish it was available in ebook form.
Natalie
I gave this book 3 stars, though it's an example of one I would give 2 and a half. It was probably a victim of my mood, but it just did't hold my interest. My on big complaint would have to be the rather excessive relationship doubt. I can't get too much more specific without spoiling things. It was probably even understandable given the characters' life experiences, but it still annoyed me.
Yanmei
Sep 14, 2007 Yanmei rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance
anna is engaged to Richard but she falls in love with Ewan, Richard's half brother. love is very strong for some people but is it strong enough for anna to break her engagement and go against her parents? There will be a lot of risks.
This book is predictible and cute. I have read it over and over again when i want a pick me up. The word romance can sometimes be linked with lust but that is not this book. It is pretty wholesome and definitely PG.
Nellie
Ewan goes to England to claim his Fathers title and meets Anna in a bookstore before he realizes she is his brothers fiance.
Fun, easy, great for teens. I loved this whole series of teen books.
Very clean.
Tara
Refreshing clean love story! This is one of Smiths YA books, I have seen a few of her adult books and I think I will stick with her YA and not venture to read any of her adult books...YIKES.
Hana
It was a cute, if predictable read. It was somewhat choppy in the actions of the characters, and some of the motivation didn't make sense at all. But it was a good romance fix!
Katie
Jun 01, 2012 Katie marked it as did-not-finish
I told Grace I wanted to read something mediocre, but I just . . . wasn't really getting anything out of this. Too bad. I still think there should be more YA Regency.
What a cute story. I loved the hero and heroine in the story. I would be comfortable letting my 10 year old read it...and I think she would love it!
Janisu-chan
I liked both lead characters very well--especially Ewan. And this cover has the most handsome guy of all the teen romances I've read--woo hoo!
Marika
Jul 29, 2011 Marika added it
I love this book, it is soooo romantic and it makes you wonder why you can find a guy like Ewan anymore. and I love the sequel as well.
Melyssa
You know... I am quite enjoying myself reading these self-indulgent books. Just fun without a lot of brain power involved...
Anjillica
Again another lazy day read. So very cute and if your in the mood for a little (clean) romance, this book will do it.
Ally
I guess I just expected a little...more. More complex plot, more detail, just more. It was alright I guess. :)
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • Catherine and the Pirate
  • Amelia and the Outlaw
  • Tess And The Highlander (MacPherson Clan, #6)
  • Josephine and the Soldier
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • Nicola and the Viscount
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • The Sheikh's Impetuous Love-Slave (Princes of the Desert #1)
  • Baby at His Convenience
  • The Baby Plan
  • His Scandal (His Trilogy, #2)
  • To Ruin the Duke
  • The Briton
  • Summer Campaign
  • Nine-Month Protector (The Precinct, #6)
Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1) Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2) Taken by the Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #3) Let the Night Begin (Brotherhood of Blood, #4) Night After Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #5)

“The only thing a person can never have too much of is common sense.” 22 likes