Start by marking “The Zen Path Through Depression” as Want to Read:
The Zen Path Through Depression

The Zen Path Through Depression

A Compassionate and Spiritual Approach to Rediscovering Joy

Using easy-to-follow techniques and practical advice, Philip Martin shows you how to ease depression through the spiritual practice of Zen. His lessons, full of gentle guidance and sensitivity, are a product of his experiences in using Zen practices and wisdom to alleviate his own depression.

Each chapter focuses on
Published August 11th 2009 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Zen Path Through Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen Path Through Depression

Clare
Sep 06, 2011 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not depressed. I’m not Buddhist. But I love this book.

The Zen Path Through Depression by Philip Martin was a truly meaningful read for me. I received the book as a gift from a friend after meeting with my meditation group one evening. “Here, I thought this might speak to you,” he said caringly as he handed me a small paperback. It was only after I’d gotten home and looked at the book that I realized the very friend who gifted it was also the author.

The format of Martin’s book is welcome, es
Satia
May 14, 2008 Satia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: buddhism, depression
I would give this 3.5 stars but since goodreads doesn't allow people to do that, I am forced to give it only three. For a more complete review:

And here are some quotes I especially liked for various reasons:

In Buddhism the body is rightly perceived as the means through which we achieve enlightenment. Yet our technology aims increasingly at making the body obsolete. Today we often ignore one of our bodies’ most basic needs, the need to be of use. We drive i
Trey Nowell
Jun 05, 2013 Trey Nowell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and its message a lot. Coming from someone with a degree in both religious studies and psychology, it hits home with intertwining the message of each area of study. The meditations are very good for someone unfamiliar with them and the knowledge of many great teachers to draw upon inspiring quotes was well done. A very good book for someone more so experiencing depression rather than trying to understand it. I would rec this book to anyone wanting to know how to attain ...more
Zina
Oct 28, 2007 Zina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with depression who are novices to buddhism
this guy has a degree in buddhist psychology! if that's not the coolest thing ever, then i don't know what is.

this book may not contain any new information, but what it says is still important and it does help to refresh one's memory of the basics.

these are things that one should keep in mind with or without depression. they represent the fundamental knowledge that is useful to all human beings. i suggest reading up on buddhist philosophy if you haven't already.
Renate
Nov 25, 2012 Renate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Zen Path for coping with life's trials and tribulations might have been a more suitable title. Very useful.
Megan Salyer
Do not read if you're depressed or you'll stay that way, but if you read it out of desire to understand a depressed partner then you can help their way through it.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
I don't think I'm zen enough yet to handle this book. Either that or the author was just honestly annoying.
Jane
Although I love to read, I remember that I don't do well with self-help books. It's not that I don't like them, it's that I don't try any of the exercises. I need to go to classes at the gym to exercise, not watch a video on my couch. Same idea.
Maria
Mar 10, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book from the library and I need to get my own copy! I've read a lot of books about different forms of Buddhism and this is the first to directly address practicing with and for a mental illness. As someone who struggles with depression, the author Philip Martin recognizes that being depressed is a different outlook than most people coming to Buddhism. He offers guided meditations for recognizing depression and using its symptoms for a better Buddhist practice. Overall, I will refer t ...more
Lynn
Oct 12, 2016 Lynn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book. I read it over sixteen years ago and it still rankles. Speaking as someone who has dealt with major depression for most of my life, I see books such as these to be a disservice to anyone who is struggling with a serious mental illness. All the homilies are great but useless as yelling at a fire and telling it to extinguish itself. If thinking- or not thinking- could cure depression, no one would be depressed. Such a book might be helpful for those dealing with sadness a ...more
Allison
I really enjoyed this book. I found the chapters on Death, Impermanence and Fear to be the hardest (on a personal level) to stomach. It's hopeful, it's personal and it has some great advice and meditation guides. It's a wonderful little book for those dealing with depression or just want to bring more balance into their lives.
Daniel Seymour
Dec 10, 2010 Daniel Seymour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In short passages the author shares his thoughts regarding various elements of depression. He does so with warmth and wisdom. A belief that we can work our way through this depression is present on every page.
James Spada
Sep 11, 2008 James Spada rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
its OX e Moron., "i aint no ox moron." - renaissance man with Danny Devito

English language needs to be standardized, like chinese written language. there is to much syntax
Virginia Beam
3.5. Parts of it were so insightful I wanted to give it a 5, but other parts were so generic or nonsensical that I wanted to give it a 3.
Wendy
May 17, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Gentle, practical, full of wisdom.
Katherine
I like this book and intend to get back to it at some point. It has helpful meditations and a different way of looking at things. Left of solid reading p. 5, but skimmed a lot of it.
Eliza T. Williamson
I really liked how this book was set up--each exerpt was an idea unto itself--easily accessible & not self-helpy. Wise, interesting thoughts.
Kyla
Kyla rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
April
April rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Lory
Lory rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Cheryl Sorg
Cheryl Sorg rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Bo
Bo rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Pinkleton
Pinkleton rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2011
Travis Wade ZINN
Travis Wade ZINN rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Michael Scholtes
Michael Scholtes rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Erkki
Erkki rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Nicolas
Nicolas rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2009
  • Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • Anger
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • Zen Training: Methods and Philosophy
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditations for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness
  • Branching Streams Flow in the Darkness: Zen Talks on the Sandokai