Start by marking “The Zen Path Through Depression” as Want to Read:
The Zen Path Through Depression

The Zen Path Through Depression

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A Compassionate and Spiritual Approach to Rediscovering Joy

Using easy-to-follow techniques and practical advice, Philip Martin shows you how to ease depression through the spiritual practice of Zen. His lessons, full of gentle guidance and sensitivity, are a product of his experiences in using Zen practices and wisdom to alleviate his own depression.

Each chapter focuses on
Published August 11th 2009 by HarperOne (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Zen Path Through Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen Path Through Depression

Clare
I’m not depressed. I’m not Buddhist. But I love this book.

The Zen Path Through Depression by Philip Martin was a truly meaningful read for me. I received the book as a gift from a friend after meeting with my meditation group one evening. “Here, I thought this might speak to you,” he said caringly as he handed me a small paperback. It was only after I’d gotten home and looked at the book that I realized the very friend who gifted it was also the author.

The format of Martin’s book is welcome, es
Satia
May 14, 2008 Satia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: buddhism, depression
I would give this 3.5 stars but since goodreads doesn't allow people to do that, I am forced to give it only three. For a more complete review:

And here are some quotes I especially liked for various reasons:

In Buddhism the body is rightly perceived as the means through which we achieve enlightenment. Yet our technology aims increasingly at making the body obsolete. Today we often ignore one of our bodies’ most basic needs, the need to be of use. We drive i
Trey Nowell
I really enjoyed this book and its message a lot. Coming from someone with a degree in both religious studies and psychology, it hits home with intertwining the message of each area of study. The meditations are very good for someone unfamiliar with them and the knowledge of many great teachers to draw upon inspiring quotes was well done. A very good book for someone more so experiencing depression rather than trying to understand it. I would rec this book to anyone wanting to know how to attain ...more
Zina
Oct 30, 2007 Zina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with depression who are novices to buddhism
this guy has a degree in buddhist psychology! if that's not the coolest thing ever, then i don't know what is.

this book may not contain any new information, but what it says is still important and it does help to refresh one's memory of the basics.

these are things that one should keep in mind with or without depression. they represent the fundamental knowledge that is useful to all human beings. i suggest reading up on buddhist philosophy if you haven't already.
Renate
The Zen Path for coping with life's trials and tribulations might have been a more suitable title. Very useful.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
I don't think I'm zen enough yet to handle this book. Either that or the author was just honestly annoying.
Wendy
Gentle, practical, full of wisdom.
Allison
I really enjoyed this book. I found the chapters on Death, Impermanence and Fear to be the hardest (on a personal level) to stomach. It's hopeful, it's personal and it has some great advice and meditation guides. It's a wonderful little book for those dealing with depression or just want to bring more balance into their lives.
James Spada
its OX e Moron., "i aint no ox moron." - renaissance man with Danny Devito

English language needs to be standardized, like chinese written language. there is to much syntax
Daniel Seymour
In short passages the author shares his thoughts regarding various elements of depression. He does so with warmth and wisdom. A belief that we can work our way through this depression is present on every page.
Megan Salyer
Do not read if you're depressed or you'll stay that way, but if you read it out of desire to understand a depressed partner then you can help their way through it.
Eliza T. Williamson
I really liked how this book was set up--each exerpt was an idea unto itself--easily accessible & not self-helpy. Wise, interesting thoughts.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Nicole Thompson
Nicole Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Jennacouch
Jennacouch marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Lori Carlson
Lori Carlson marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Betty Allain
Betty Allain marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Nadi Paranamana
Nadi Paranamana marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
David Inglis
David Inglis marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Claire Noonan
Claire Noonan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Nelie
Nelie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Valerie Turrentine
Valerie Turrentine marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • That Which You Are Seeking Is Causing You to Seek
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
  • Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Against Depression
  • Moon In a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
Doctor Who: The Creed of the Kromon (Big Finish Audio Drama, #53) The Writer's Guide to Fantasy Literature: From Dragon's Lair to Hero's Quest Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 106) Doctor Who: Trial of a Time Lord : Mindwarp (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 139) Doctor Who: Mission to Magnus (The Missing Episodes, Paperback)