The Zen Path Through Depression

The Zen Path Through Depression

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A Compassionate and Spiritual Approach to Rediscovering Joy

Using easy-to-follow techniques and practical advice, Philip Martin shows you how to ease depression through the spiritual practice of Zen. His lessons, full of gentle guidance and sensitivity, are a product of his experiences in using Zen practices and wisdom to alleviate his own depression.

Each chapter focuses on...more
Published December 8th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Zen Path Through Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen Path Through Depression

Clare
I’m not depressed. I’m not Buddhist. But I love this book.

The Zen Path Through Depression by Philip Martin was a truly meaningful read for me. I received the book as a gift from a friend after meeting with my meditation group one evening. “Here, I thought this might speak to you,” he said caringly as he handed me a small paperback. It was only after I’d gotten home and looked at the book that I realized the very friend who gifted it was also the author.

The format of Martin’s book is welcome, es...more
Satia
May 14, 2008 Satia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: buddhism, depression
I would give this 3.5 stars but since goodreads doesn't allow people to do that, I am forced to give it only three. For a more complete review:

And here are some quotes I especially liked for various reasons:

In Buddhism the body is rightly perceived as the means through which we achieve enlightenment. Yet our technology aims increasingly at making the body obsolete. Today we often ignore one of our bodies’ most basic needs, the need to be of use. We drive i...more
Zina
Oct 30, 2007 Zina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with depression who are novices to buddhism
this guy has a degree in buddhist psychology! if that's not the coolest thing ever, then i don't know what is.

this book may not contain any new information, but what it says is still important and it does help to refresh one's memory of the basics.

these are things that one should keep in mind with or without depression. they represent the fundamental knowledge that is useful to all human beings. i suggest reading up on buddhist philosophy if you haven't already.
April
It's a comforting read with encouraging and calming words.

I also enjoyed the call to action near the end, even just to take small steps to stay active.
Renate
The Zen Path for coping with life's trials and tribulations might have been a more suitable title. Very useful.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
I don't think I'm zen enough yet to handle this book. Either that or the author was just honestly annoying.
Wendy
Gentle, practical, full of wisdom.
Trey Nowell
I really enjoyed this book and its message a lot. Coming from someone with a degree in both religious studies and psychology, it hits home with intertwining the message of each area of study. The meditations are very good for someone unfamiliar with them and the knowledge of many great teachers to draw upon inspiring quotes was well done. A very good book for someone more so experiencing depression rather than trying to understand it. I would rec this book to anyone wanting to know how to attain...more
Allison
I really enjoyed this book. I found the chapters on Death, Impermanence and Fear to be the hardest (on a personal level) to stomach. It's hopeful, it's personal and it has some great advice and meditation guides. It's a wonderful little book for those dealing with depression or just want to bring more balance into their lives.
James Spada
its OX e Moron., "i aint no ox moron." - renaissance man with Danny Devito

English language needs to be standardized, like chinese written language. there is to much syntax
Daniel Seymour
In short passages the author shares his thoughts regarding various elements of depression. He does so with warmth and wisdom. A belief that we can work our way through this depression is present on every page.
Megan Salyer
Do not read if you're depressed or you'll stay that way, but if you read it out of desire to understand a depressed partner then you can help their way through it.
Eliza T. Williamson
I really liked how this book was set up--each exerpt was an idea unto itself--easily accessible & not self-helpy. Wise, interesting thoughts.
Plantsman
Plantsman marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Daniel
Daniel added it
Sep 13, 2014
Joshua
Joshua added it
Sep 08, 2014
DesaRay Goff
DesaRay Goff marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Indu Muralidharan
Indu Muralidharan marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Mats
Mats marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Sami Ylitalo
Sami Ylitalo marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Doctor Who: The Creed of the Kromon (Big Finish Audio Drama, #53) The Writer's Guide to Fantasy Literature: From Dragon's Lair to Hero's Quest Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 106) Doctor Who: Trial of a Time Lord : Mindwarp (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 139) Doctor Who: Mission to Magnus (The Missing Episodes, Paperback)