Start by marking “Maximum Ride The Angel Experiment” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Maximum Ride The Angel...

James Patterson

Maximum Ride The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  136,728 ratings  ·  7,104 reviews
James Patterson's young adult masterpiece of non-stop action, mystery and suspense soared to the top of bestseller lists and created an explosion of new fans for this beloved, multimillion-selling author.

Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, and Angel are kids who are pretty normal-except that they're 98% human, 2% bird. They grew up in cages, living like rats, and now they

Published 2009 by Gardners Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Maximum Ride The Angel Experiment, please sign up.

George Boyer it is amazing if you like genetic engineering and mutants
Taylor half human, half wolf hybrids. Mutant people who are under the control of the scientists who created them and Max and her family. they are used to…morehalf human, half wolf hybrids. Mutant people who are under the control of the scientists who created them and Max and her family. they are used to hunt the kids down. (less)

Joe
Jan 13, 2014 Joe rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individuals with a high tolerance for bad writing
Now this is a terrible book.

Written with all the wit and grace of a one-legged puppy, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment reveals its intentions within the first chapter alone. This is not a book of striking prose or even serviceable but entertaining MOR lit. It is merely a cash cow, another mindless series designed to appeal to reluctant readers. It is, in a word, soulless.

Maximum Ride follows the adventures of six children, each of whom is the product of a genetic experiment: they are 98% human
Jenny
OK. I thought this was going to be a lame cheese fest. I mean, James Patterson? I know kids seem to like the series OK, and even a couple adults have recommended it to me. But I figured it wasn't my bag.
I'm not sure why. Genetically engineered mutant kids with wings escaping from evil scientists and fighting super strong werewolf-like soldiers. What's not to like? I couldn't put it down. Fast paced, exciting, kind of horrifying and a lot better written than I expected. I'm totally reading the n
Allison
Take a bit of the child-like innocence vs. evil of Harry Potter, some of the artificially-created destiny from Ender's Game, throw in the flying fantasies from Eragon and mix them in with Patterson's trademark flippant characterization, and you've got Maximum Ride.

This is the book I'm going to recommend when everyone's recovering from the end of Harry Potter later this month. Really. It's that good. And the best part is there are two more books after this one. There's already a waiting list for
Angelc
This book was okay, but I just felt like it didn't have a lot of substance. I didn't really take anything away from it, almost like it didn't have a lot of deep meaning. And it wasn't terribly entertaining, either. I just would have liked the characters to be a little deeper, I guess. I doubt I will read the rest of the series.

Reviewed for: http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com/
Denae
Max is a sarcastic and tough teen with amazing wings. She's leader of her flock of bird kids, and they work hard to stay away from the troublesome adult scientists. Max struggles to keep her flock together, discover her destiny, and save the world while she's at it.
Finding their parents would be a nice bonus, too, if only the whitcoats would stop trying to kill them.
Jane
Dec 04, 2013 Jane rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans twelve years and up
One of my students recommended this book, and while I was intrigued by the premise, and the fact that the protagonist is a female action hero, I found the dialogue beyond basic (only an adult would imagine that kids really communicate like this) and the plot was a liitle repetitious. it's part of a trilogy - but I don't care enough about these characters to read more.
Sella Malin
Whoa!!! This book is sooo good. It's really, really, REALLY fast-paced and action-packed. Even the very first chapter throws you headfirst into straight-on action. It's a very easy read, with short chapters that flow right into the other with cliffhangers. It's not something you can start/stop reading; once you start, there's no turning bag. You're dragged into the story from the very first page, willingly or not, and nothing can tear you from the book- only forceful things, like school, homewor ...more
Jared Vincent Lacaran
This is a really terrible book. It's even worse than the whole Twilightand Eragon series combined together. The plot is extremely obnoxious, it features cardboard characters, and it has awfully absurd twists. It's dialogues are really horrible, like an old man trying very hard to sound young. this book is very,very,very badly written. A 12 year old could probably do better. The battle scenes, if you could call them that, are also poorly written and not realistic. Not even in the least. This book ...more
Helen
I want you, the reader, to take a moment and scroll down to the lists this novel has been shelved in. “Best Young Adult Books,” “Best Books Ever,” “What To Read After Harry Potter,” “Best Female Lead Characters,” and “Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books”. If you haven’t guessed by the titles, these are pretty big and popular lists. If you click into them and view the lists, you will see that this book is pretty high up the ranks. And if you looked behind the book, you’ll see raving review a ...more
Jennifer Carafa
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Alright, I thought the narration on this book was way cheesy initially. But, like the bookcrazy girl I am who is a sucker for a good story, I got sucked in.

This book is many things:

*Fun aimed at kids, but fun that an adult who isn't terribly cynical and superior could enjoy.
*Penetrating, insightful look at human nature and society (don't laugh--it is).
*Utterly disturbing view of the unscrupulous applications of modern science. I truly did feel my stomach lurch at some of the experimentation on
Hope
Feb 27, 2010 Hope rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with any sense of humor or adventure.
Recommended to Hope by: Jensen Schlabach
The only reason this book doesn't get five stars from me is because I'm so confused by some things. But I liked it A LOT. A lot a lot.

First, I didn't feel like it really went anywhere. It's like you can tell it's trying to go somewhere but it's not really doing it.
Basically, this book was just full of the flock running, getting caught, running, getting beat up, running, getting chased by the cops, running... Over and over. After a while it was kind of predictable (not to mention painful). It t
luhvBOOKS
Title: The Angel Experiment

Author: James Patterson

Series: Maximum Ride #1

Rating: ★★★★★

Summary: In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel,
Iris
This is my first James Patterson, so I'm not entirely sure about his writing style, but I guess the way he's written this book was as if it was the protagonist. Patterson writes in the voice of the girl hero Maximum Ride, and ends mostly with small cliffhangers, which compels the readers to continue reading. (I couldn't really put it down; I kept wanting to find out what happened to the characters.)
Patterson didn't only place small cliffhangers at the end of the chapters, he added a huge one for
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
- I need to go on a re-reviewing spree soon. Gosh, my old review made me sound like a huge idiot. YAY. This will be fun. -
Shirley
Summary: Genetically engineered Max and her friends are 98% human and 2% bird. An adventure story about young adults struggling to survive and discovering whom they are and why they were created along the way.

Personal Response: A very fun and engaging book. I do not know of anyone that has not dreamed they could fly. The characters are enjoyable and the special bond they have with each other and feel they're longing to belong to a family engages you. The characters make the reader think about wh
Stephen
1.5 stars. On the "plus" side, this novel has a very interesting premise and the book was a very fast read. On the "negative" side, there is not a whole lot of substance to the story and the character development is weak. I was really hoping that the author would do something really great with the very cool concept of children genetically enhanced with avain DNA, but it just didn't happen. Bottom-line, the book, while not horrible, was one I really didn't like.
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)

Six kids. Max, Fang, Angel, Nudge, Iggy, and the Gasman. All mutants who had escaped from the School, a lab full of insane scientists, many years ago. But they've been found again, and one of their flock, the young Angel, was kidnapped.
And they'll do anything to get her back.
Thus begins a whirlwind of action, adventure, discovering new things, violence, pain, and secrets. But all of this leads Max back to one thing: She has to save the world.

The writing style irritated me at first, but it got
Ismael guerra
this book is such a great book, i really enjoyed reading this book. there is not a single moment when your not at the edge of your chair when reading this book. all it deals of is a flock of kids who were subjects of experiments but when they escape they left part human part avian. this book is filled with non-stop action and thrills as the flock struggle for survival against erasers, group of half human half canine hunters, who threaten their very existence. this book is one of my favorites and ...more
Elisa
Oct 07, 2008 Elisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This was my favorite book series so far. It's about a fourteen year old girl who has wings and grows up in a lab. She and her "flock" (AKA family) escape from the lab.
Marian
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOK SERIES IN THE UNIVERSE OF HUMAN (AND OTHER) KIND!!!!!! yeah.....IM NOT OBSESIVE!! read them....
Emily May

Nothing massively wrong with it but the writing was just way too young for me.
Jonathan

I read The Angel Experiment several years ago, back when the Maximum Ride series was first beginning. It was recommended to me by a friend and I thought that it might be a worthy imaginative children's fiction novel (what is now coming to be dominated by YA novels).

I found that again, as with other YA novels, it was a work of fiction with a strong idea yet poor execution. Now, I do love some works of fiction where the ideas are brilliant and the execution could be a touch better. For instance M
bookczuk
Years ago, I read a James Patterson book called When the Wind Blows. It was about a "school" where human dna was combined with various animals. The story followed the bird kids and their human friends and enemies. This book takes up on that theme, though is aimed at a young crowd. Patterson wrote the whole Maximum Ride series for his son Jack, and there's now a cult like following on the internet.

This is the first in the series (all of which I have now read, and I've gone back to read the origi
pipkinie
Tehehe i just finished it yesterday, an awsome adventure and i can't wait to read the other books!
Mith
A bizarre plot with a terrible beginning. Without any sort of background we are plunged into action. It works for Riordan but unfortunately not here. Could not bring myself to read past the first 20 pages.

P.S - Mr. Patterson? Kids do NOT speak like that. You just sound like an adult trying too hard to talk in a way he thinks kids these days might talk.
Bad sentence formation just now, you say? Yeah, that about sums up your book.
Mohammed
this book is a great book it is very good a girl in my school who didnt like to read at all got instantly hooked on it and know i cant get her off
cy
"Nudge was tearing into her cheese-bun things, Fang was on his second burger, Iggy could hardly breathe through all the food in his mouth and the Gasman was wolfing fries by the fistful. We probably looked like starving orphan children. Hey! We were starving orphan children"
Oh man, i've always wanted to fly..but at least i can read along with the flock..Think
Big Momma Bear
Emo Guy with a gym membership
Bomb obsessed blind guy (ULP!!)
Fashonista with a KILLER catwalk run
Cute little kid with a "funky
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
This is the first book by popular thriller writer James Patterson which is aimed primarily at young adults, and I must confess that when I first started reading it I thought it was kinda lame. It's a story about a bunch of winged kids living by themselves, led by a girl named Max, which at first seemed to be full of cliches: Angel, the blonde, sweet baby of the group; Fang, the strong, silent type; The Gasman, who is very protective of his sister, and who is well-loved dispite his odour problem; ...more
Maximum ride movie ever coming out? 253 955 Nov 11, 2014 12:13AM
Are there anymore books like this? 9 21 Nov 03, 2014 02:12PM
Has anyone else realized how bad this is? 20 137 Oct 19, 2014 02:42PM
Hooked on Books : Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1) by James Patterson - Start Date: TBA 7 8 Oct 17, 2014 05:57PM
Class of 2015: Maximum Ride 1 3 Oct 16, 2014 09:50PM
Who's your fav character? 33 60 Oct 12, 2014 03:14PM
  • Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4)
  • Skeleton Key (Alex Rider, #3)
  • Black Water (Pendragon, #5)
  • Seizure (Virals, #2)
  • Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2)
  • Among the Free (Shadow Children, #7)
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars, #2)
  • The Recruit (Cherub, #1)
  • Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)
  • Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)
  • Lionboy (Lionboy Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • The Darkest Hour (Warriors, #6)
  • Dark Life (Dark Life, #1)
  • Everlost (Skinjacker, #1)
Offical US Site
Offical UK Site
Offical James Patterson Young Adult Site
Offical Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series

The subject of a Time magazine feature called, "The Man Who Can't Miss," James Patterson is the bestselling author of the past year, bar none, with more than 16 million books sold in North America alone. In 2007, one of every fifteen hardcover fiction books sold was a Patter
More about James Patterson...
Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2) Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)

“Fang: 'Man, You weigh a freaking ton! What have you been eating, rocks?'
Max: 'Why, is your head missing some?”
1670 likes
“Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?” 1237 likes