Giants' Star (Giants, #3)

Giants' Star (Giants #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  889 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A PROBLEM IN RELATIVITY

ONE:
Eons ago, a gentle race of giant aliens fled the planet Minerva, leaving the ancestors of Man to fend for themselves.

TWO:
50 thousand years ago, Minerva exploded, hurling its moon into an orbit about the Earth.

THREE:
In the 21st century, scientists Victor Hunt and Chris Danchekker, doing research on Ganymede, attract a small band of friendly aliens...more
Published 1982 by Del Rey (first published June 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Giants' Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giants' Star

David
The ending of the trilogy is a masterpiece, in which all the ideas developped during the first two books are mixed, tested and eventually something unbelievable is uncovered...

Do not miss it !
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jun 08, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
This is the third of the Giants novels, after Inherit the Stars and The Gentle Giants of Ganymede. In the first novel, a body is found inside a space suit on the moon--and turns out to be 50 thousand years old. Later, on Ganymede, is found a derelict alien ship, with the remains of alien giants--and it turns out to be 25 million years old. These are the central mystery around which the first novel revolves, and the interesting part is the play of scientific ideas. In other worlds, the novel his...more
Greg
Jun 20, 2012 Greg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
I wish I'd known this was the third in a trilogy when I read it, but oddly the book didn't mention that. I should have looked into it. I actually had been looking for the first in the series, Inherit the Stars (based only on half-remembering the "ancient dead spaceman found on moon" set up from a friend describing it in the 80s, which seemed compelling then and now). Still, it's a pretty good little book.

There's some battle-less battles (a nice touch) as the universe is saved by peaceful schemin...more
Per Gunnar
This book is quite a different story from the previous two. The original focus on mystery and research is more or less gone and replaced by a more traditional adventure/thriller story. During the first half of the book I actually started to despair and thought the series where taking a real nosedive. This part dives straight into an all too classic story about political manipulation and deceit. The UN where brought in as the chief villain used by the bad guys to stall any meaningful progress and...more
Wade
One of my favorite sci-fi books because Hogan's alien technology is so engrossing and believable. I also liked the contrast he makes between the human nature and that of the Ganymeans. Hogan spends a lot of time developing the causes of each civilization's unique nature and how it steers their present course of action. In my opinion, the book falls short in developing believable and interesting conflict. Everything works out a little too well for the good guys and the antagonists are left lookin...more
John Mazz
I accidentally missed Book 2 in the series, so that may have contributed to me being increasingly annoyed at this book. I suppose I enjoyed it overall, but I thought it was a bit forced, too much preaching (for a book that seemed to be somewhat anti-religion) and too many long monologues. Further, I didn't find the aliens alien enough. I know that's hard to do, but it bothered me throughout. I enjoyed the first book in the series a whole lot, so I may go back to book 2. The description of Book...more
Piet
The Internet Completed!
Mel Allred
Actuall, I am reading a book entitled, The Two Workds, which is both this book and a book entitled "Entoverse" I have completed Giant's Star and in the middle of Entoverse. Just finished, it's taken me forever, but it worth it. Kind of reminded me of Jack Chalker where his characters seem to be moving into different atmospheres and/or realities and can't ssem to find their way through except using their intelligence and reasoning they work out the unworkable.
Nick
This is a shelf of books that, counter to most popular fiction, offer nonviolent solutions to their plots.

This novel offers one possible to response to the question of how a nonaggressive, nonviolent society responds to an armed threat from an aggressive one. While not totally nonviolent in my view, Hogan offers a pretty good story in which the benefits of cooperation and trust outweigh the advantages of secrecy and weaponry.
Andypants
This book has many flaws, so I can't give it 5 stars, yet it is so in my wheelhouse that I can't give it less than 4. Without spoiling it too badly, I can say that it involves nonviolent solutions to violent problems, incomprehensibly different aliens, engineers solving fun signal processing problems, intelligent women written from a man's perspective, AI and a futuristic Soviet Union. I mean really, I was going to like this book.
J.
May 25, 2014 J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A great third book with all the loose ends tied up nicely. I won't go any farther with this series because according to the summaries the next couple of books get weird.

This book featured an interesting description of a futuristic virtual reality. I'm always amazed when sci-fi writers write about things that seemed impossible at the time.
Sean Randall
These just get better, don't they? A bit more fantastical with every story, to be sure, something always seems to be spinning off in a new direction, or era, or there's always something not quite as it seems. But I really enjoyed this one, the politics was quite fascinating and the whole military stuff really good fun.
Seth Kaplan
Third book of what ended up being a 5 book series. Hogan drifts away from pure hard-core sci-fi and gets a little more into the space opera genre. Fun to pull together lots of additional suppositions about the universe, but less of a challenging problem-solving mystery than the first 2 books.
Grant
the whole "The Giants' Trilogy" by James P. Hogan is a reaaly good sci fi romp. Lot's of interconnnected biology, space physics and technology along with a tale of human (and partially human) hubris and political intrigue. Read the series from the start. This is the third and climactic book.
Charlotte
This was not quite as good as the first in the series, Inherit the Stars, but better than the Gentle Giants of Ganymede. I thought the AI theme worked really well.
Bogdina
Not as good as the first two. I think James P. might have run out of new ideas, so this is just kind of standard cowboys & indians fare. The ending is very weak.
Charles
The conclusion of the Inherit the Stars trilogy.
Haley
Oct 03, 2008 Haley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Haley by: Louis
Shelves: read-in-2008, own
This series truly blew my mind. I constantly found myself wondering how Hogan connected it altogether so flawlessly. A fantastic end to the trilogy!
Jason
Reads like a large scale detective novel. It has an old fashioned Sci-Fi feel to it. It also tries to answer origin questions via aliens.
Tymothy
Second time reading this one and - although still good - was not quite as enjoyable for me as the first two books in the series.
Randy
third book in the series that reveals the true history of our solar system.
Great stuff.
Marti Rosenberg
Amazing! But you have to read the first 2 books to see how he weaves that wonderful web
Ashkhan
Simply amazing. I read it about 7 years ago time to re-read it, I think.
Peter
The follow on books were not as good as the first one - still Ok read though
Bookbrow
Really a fine series, almost a space mystery. Recomended.
Dale Rosso
Great entry in the Giants series.
Brian Boutwell
Brian Boutwell marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Starquake
  • The Martian Race
  • Mercury
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • Starburst
  • The Avatar
  • Convergent Series
  • Berserker's Planet (Berserker, #3)
  • Special Deliverance
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • OX (Of Man and Manta, #3)
James Patrick Hogan was a British science fiction author.

Hogan was was raised in the Portobello Road area on the west side of London. After leaving school at the age of sixteen, he worked various odd jobs until, after receiving a scholarship, he began a five-year program at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough covering the practical and theoretical sides of electrical, electronic, and m...more
More about James P. Hogan...
Inherit the Stars (Giants, #1) The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (Giants, #2) Voyage from Yesteryear The Proteus Operation Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)