Birds of North America (Golden Field Guide from St. Martin's Press)

Birds of North America (Golden Field Guide from St. Martin's Press)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The first field guides to place illustrations, text, and maps all on one page, Golden Field Guides from St. Martin's Press are easy to use, easy to understand, and easy to carry. They make quick identification easy with unique features including:
-- Comparison pages for confusing look-alikes
-- Authoritative text
-- Uncomplicated format
-- Handy, lightweight format for field...more
Published February 15th 1990 by Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Birds of North America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birds of North America

Sheri Williamson
Though I had used library copies of A Field Guide to the Birds of Texas: and Adjacent States, this is was the first field guide that I actually owned. Its user-friendly format, combining illustrations, text, and maps in two-page spreads, set a new visual standard that most field guides follow to this day.

Not all of the authors' innovations have been as widely adopted, which is a shame. None of the current crop of bird guides includes sonograms to help users visualize songs and calls, and only A...more
Allie Traestar
This is the best bird book ever. It is in a order in which it is easy to find the bird you seek. You can see all the defining marks on the bird in full color, without any individual oddities like you get with pictures. The bird paintings also have all the plumage variations, and are usually grouped with other birds of similar color, within reason (example; all the grey warblers with yellow bellies are together.) I have yet to find a book it's equal that has both it's practical use and beauty.
Susan
Who would have thought the publishers of the Little Golden Books that I read as a child also publishes a fantastic field guide for bird identification?

I use many field guides for work and play and this is one of the best I have come across. It gives detailed descriptions about the birds, maps of their ranges (including migration, etc.), and beautiful, accurate illustrations of male, female, and young (where there are differences). This book also gives information that is key to many bird identif...more
Rick
Great starter ID guide. Includes migration schedules, song transcriptions, and juvenile identification. There may be stronger guides out there but this has served me well for many years.
Alison
May 16, 2011 Alison added it
Shelves: birds
My talisman! Unfortunately I've had to stop taking it out into the field, because the edition I have is now too out of date, but I will always keep this one.
Scott
of all the bird books out there, i feel this is the best you can get.
Jeff Shaner
Of all the bird books this is one of the best, seek it, find it!
Rose Blum
I got this book in 1981 ~ it is falling apart so seriously that I just display it on my shelf. This book was my first really useful birding guide. I am now well into my bird life list, am the Compiler for our Audubon Christmas Bird Count, and now do a local Breeding Bird Survey for USGS. I highly recomment thsi birding guide!!!!!
Judi
I inherited this book from my mil, who used it and made notes on her bird sightings. I use it a lot at home, the birds are easy to identify and the illustrations helpful.
Foxtower
This book has so many great illustrations it's fun just to look trough it! Unfortunately as far a accurately idetifying which sparrow I'm actually looking at... well, not so much. The book includes little maps that indicate where each species typically live so at the very least I won't identify a western sparrow as in my Eastern back yard.
Helen
I wouldn't say I have READ this book so much as used it to identify birds. It is a field guide to identification. Much more useful anywhere but Houston. I say it belongs under gardening only because that is when you might have the most chance of seeing a bird here. Otherwise I should create a birding shelf.
Jayden E
I thought Birds of North America was an excellent book. It was probably the best book I have read so far. It has lots of bird species and other things. I think animal lovers or bird watchers should read this book. Plus It’s a really good book for people who read slow It reads pretty fast.
Joshua Vine
A lot of pictures of birds... Nice!
Bookwyrmgyrl
This is my favorite field guide for birds, although it is bulky to pack when compared to the smaller field guides. I was lucky to come upon this one at the Goodwill. I've looked for it at Border's but they don't even offer it!
Brian
I quite literally grew up with this, and didn't know how lucky I was till I saw other guides years later. Still an excellent resource, despite inevitable changes in populations over nearly 50 years.
Bert Klimas
This is my go-to book for identifying birds. Illustrations, text and maps indicating seasonal and migratory locations make it easy to narrow down what bird I'm looking at.
Nicky
They say that birdwatching is an old lady hobby.

I say: how many species of egret did YOU see last month, punk?
John Cowan
Great, accurate color illustrations make this a very good guide when spotting birds!
Johanna
Seriously the best book for identifying birds in Canada, the US, and Mexico.
Fredrick Danysh
Compact identification guide to American birds with color photos and drawings.
Maura
Jun 19, 2007 Maura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages!
Wonderful pictures of all stages. Have been reading this book since childhood.
Pamela(AllHoney)
My family often refers to this one when we see an unfamiliar bird.
Bill
Believe it or not, I've never previously owned this field guide.
Eleanor
the 1966 edition. i do wonder what has evolved since then.
Don Gubler
Excellent and easy to use.
Patrick\
Makes a good child gift.
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • Rocks and Minerals
  • Mushrooms Demystified
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • Ravens in Winter
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays
  • The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behavior
  • The Amateur Naturalist
  • The Lost Grizzlies: A Search for Survivors in the Colorado Wilderness
  • Savage Dreams: A Journey into the Landscape Wars of the American West
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
  • That Quail, Robert
Birds of North America: A Guide To Field Identification (Golden Field Guide from St. Martin's Press) Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Maryland and the District of Columbia Wonder of Birds With Guide to Bird Sounds (2 vinyl records)and large fold-out Migration Map (Field Guide to the Birds of North America With a Record Album of Bird Songs) A Guide to Field Identification Birds of North America Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds