Birds of North America (Golden Field Guide from St. Martin's Press)

Birds of North America (Golden Field Guide from St. Martin's Press)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  199 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The first field guides to place illustrations, text, and maps all on one page, Golden Field Guides from St. Martin's Press are easy to use, easy to understand, and easy to carry. They make quick identification easy with unique features including:
-- Comparison pages for confusing look-alikes
-- Authoritative text
-- Uncomplicated format
-- Handy, lightweight format for field...more
Published February 15th 1990 by Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press (first published 1966)

Allie Traestar
This is the best bird book ever. It is in a order in which it is easy to find the bird you seek. You can see all the defining marks on the bird in full color, without any individual oddities like you get with pictures. The bird paintings also have all the plumage variations, and are usually grouped with other birds of similar color, within reason (example; all the grey warblers with yellow bellies are together.) I have yet to find a book it's equal that has both it's practical use and beauty.
Susan
Who would have thought the publishers of the Little Golden Books that I read as a child also publishes a fantastic field guide for bird identification?

I use many field guides for work and play and this is one of the best I have come across. It gives detailed descriptions about the birds, maps of their ranges (including migration, etc.), and beautiful, accurate illustrations of male, female, and young (where there are differences). This book also gives information that is key to many bird identif...more
Scott
of all the bird books out there, i feel this is the best you can get.
Jeff Shaner
Of all the bird books this is one of the best, seek it, find it!
Foxtower
This book has so many great illustrations it's fun just to look trough it! Unfortunately as far a accurately idetifying which sparrow I'm actually looking at... well, not so much. The book includes little maps that indicate where each species typically live so at the very least I won't identify a western sparrow as in my Eastern back yard.
Helen
I wouldn't say I have READ this book so much as used it to identify birds. It is a field guide to identification. Much more useful anywhere but Houston. I say it belongs under gardening only because that is when you might have the most chance of seeing a bird here. Otherwise I should create a birding shelf.
Jayden E
I thought Birds of North America was an excellent book. It was probably the best book I have read so far. It has lots of bird species and other things. I think animal lovers or bird watchers should read this book. Plus It’s a really good book for people who read slow It reads pretty fast.
Joshua Vine
A lot of pictures of birds... Nice!
Bookwyrmgyrl
This is my favorite field guide for birds, although it is bulky to pack when compared to the smaller field guides. I was lucky to come upon this one at the Goodwill. I've looked for it at Border's but they don't even offer it!
Brian
I quite literally grew up with this, and didn't know how lucky I was till I saw other guides years later. Still an excellent resource, despite inevitable changes in populations over nearly 50 years.
Rick
Great starter ID guide. Includes migration schedules, song transcriptions, and juvenile identification. There may be stronger guides out there but this has served me well for many years.
Bert Klimas
This is my go-to book for identifying birds. Illustrations, text and maps indicating seasonal and migratory locations make it easy to narrow down what bird I'm looking at.
Alison
May 16, 2011 Alison added it
Shelves: birds
My talisman! Unfortunately I've had to stop taking it out into the field, because the edition I have is now too out of date, but I will always keep this one.
Nicky
They say that birdwatching is an old lady hobby.

I say: how many species of egret did YOU see last month, punk?
John Cowan
Great, accurate color illustrations make this a very good guide when spotting birds!
Johanna
Seriously the best book for identifying birds in Canada, the US, and Mexico.
Fredrick Danysh
Compact identification guide to American birds with color photos and drawings.
Maura
Jun 19, 2007 Maura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all ages!
Wonderful pictures of all stages. Have been reading this book since childhood.
Pamela(AllHoney)
My family often refers to this one when we see an unfamiliar bird.
Bill
Believe it or not, I've never previously owned this field guide.
Eleanor
the 1966 edition. i do wonder what has evolved since then.
Don Gubler
Excellent and easy to use.
Patrick\
Makes a good child gift.
Amanda Gayle
Amanda Gayle marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Marylou R.
Marylou R. marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Mushrooms Demystified
  • Ravens in Winter
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Bird Brains: The Intelligence of Crows, Ravens, Magpies, and Jays
  • The Amateur Naturalist
  • The Trials of Life: A Natural History of Animal Behavior
  • That Quail, Robert
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations : A Collection of Passages, Phrases, and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The Lost Grizzlies: A Search for Survivors in the Colorado Wilderness
  • Western Garden Book: More than 8,000 Plants - The Right Plants for Your Climate - Tips from Western Garden Experts
Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Maryland and the District of Columbia Wonder of Birds With Guide to Bird Sounds (2 vinyl records)and large fold-out Migration Map (Field Guide to the Birds of North America With a Record Album of Bird Songs) Birds of North America: A Guide To Field Identification Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds Second Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Maryland and the District of Columbia