Start by marking “This May Help You Understand the World: From Bush's Blunderings to Global Glitches - The Problems of a Troubled World Made Easy” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Everyone has insecurities about what they think they should know—the popularity of Lawrence Potter’s previous book, Mathematics Minus Fear, proves that. With its humorous style, his book makes knowledge accessible to anyone.

Each day, newspapers deliver fresh information on conflicts all around the world. This May Help You Understand the World assures you that it is okay to
Published January 15th 2008 by Marion Boyars Publishers Ltd (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This May Help You Understand the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This May Help You Understand the World

Clint
This book is still new enough to be useful. The problem with books like this, even great ones, is that the information will be outdated so quickly. I think the one I read was an updated edition that went up to 2011, but already some major shit has happened since then, Bin Laden and Kim Jong Il are both dead, for one thing, and there is a South Sudan now. Nevertheless, this book totally succeeds at what it sets out to do, which is fill you in all the details of new stories that most people hear a ...more
Beth
This book gives a very useful and easy to read background on many of the world events. As the author comments in the Introduction, usually the media only report on isolated events, such as a suicide bombing, and knowledge and understanding of all the events that led to event is a given; so this book really fills a gap.
It would be great to see an update which includes ISIS, Ukraine, Greece, whats been happening in Afganistan and middle east etc etc
Katherina
I'm grateful that I picked up this book the day I did. It proved to be very helpful and insightful, just as I was about to talk about world politics the next day. So I got a better understanding of what has happened in the world and what's the situation now. Of course, it's a tad old, being published in 2011, but since I keep up with the news anyway, I just drew parallels with what was said in the book.
I've enjoyed it. I was able to read it in two days. For a non-fiction book I'd have to say tha
Mohammed
This book brings a concise background information to all important topics in the world (even contemporary headlines in media) - not detailed as per a research - good for a start on information gathering. Good at writing, humour and flow - so is my 4 star
Cassandra Carico
I enjoyed this book, but I much of it is stuff I have covered in my countless college courses, so the information was not new. I like the manner in which is was presented though. The author has a fabulous sense of humor....
Rebecca Perry
A great overview on current affairs (most of which are still current now despite being published in 2007). I think of us would admit to not knowing it all already!
Lightupvirginmary
Really good read but I still dont understand the world. I think I need three or four more of these.
Bookhuw
A great little book. The world seems that tiny little bit less bewildering now.
Kellog Mcpussy
My debate reference material #2
Pieter
Pieter added it
Aug 27, 2015
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Rowena
Rowena marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Linhn
Linhn marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Nabil Darrab
Nabil Darrab marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
gkredhead
gkredhead marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Lydia Knyvett
Lydia Knyvett is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mathematics Minus Fear Mathematics Minus Fear: How to Make Math Fun and Beneficial to Your Everyday Life Liebe Mathematik, löse deine Probleme bitte selber: Verblüffend einfache Lösungen für Mathematik im Alltag Liebe Mathematik,  Löse Deine Probleme Bitte Selber