Start by marking “This May Help You Understand the World: From Bush's Blunderings to Global Glitches - The Problems of a Troubled World Made Easy” as Want to Read:

Everyone has insecurities about what they think they should know—the popularity of Lawrence Potter’s previous book, Mathematics Minus Fear, proves that. With its humorous style, his book makes knowledge accessible to anyone.

Each day, newspapers deliver fresh information on conflicts all around the world. This May Help You Understand the World assures you that it is okay to
Published January 15th 2008 by Marion Boyars Publishers Ltd (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about This May Help You Understand the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This May Help You Understand the World

Clint
Dec 05, 2013 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This book is still new enough to be useful. The problem with books like this, even great ones, is that the information will be outdated so quickly. I think the one I read was an updated edition that went up to 2011, but already some major shit has happened since then, Bin Laden and Kim Jong Il are both dead, for one thing, and there is a South Sudan now. Nevertheless, this book totally succeeds at what it sets out to do, which is fill you in all the details of new stories that most people hear a ...more
Katherina
Jul 22, 2012 Katherina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful that I picked up this book the day I did. It proved to be very helpful and insightful, just as I was about to talk about world politics the next day. So I got a better understanding of what has happened in the world and what's the situation now. Of course, it's a tad old, being published in 2011, but since I keep up with the news anyway, I just drew parallels with what was said in the book.
I've enjoyed it. I was able to read it in two days. For a non-fiction book I'd have to say tha
Beth
Jan 01, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a very useful and easy to read background on many of the world events. As the author comments in the Introduction, usually the media only report on isolated events, such as a suicide bombing, and knowledge and understanding of all the events that led to event is a given; so this book really fills a gap.
It would be great to see an update which includes ISIS, Ukraine, Greece, whats been happening in Afganistan and middle east etc etc
Mohammed
May 29, 2013 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brings a concise background information to all important topics in the world (even contemporary headlines in media) - not detailed as per a research - good for a start on information gathering. Good at writing, humour and flow - so is my 4 star
Cassandra Carico
Aug 18, 2010 Cassandra Carico rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but I much of it is stuff I have covered in my countless college courses, so the information was not new. I like the manner in which is was presented though. The author has a fabulous sense of humor....
Bookhuw
Aug 11, 2011 Bookhuw rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-ish
A great little book. The world seems that tiny little bit less bewildering now.
Lightupvirginmary
Really good read but I still dont understand the world. I think I need three or four more of these.
Rebecca Perry
Feb 29, 2012 Rebecca Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: everything
A great overview on current affairs (most of which are still current now despite being published in 2007). I think of us would admit to not knowing it all already!
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Tristan Von Zahn
Tristan Von Zahn rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2017
Andy
Andy rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2015
Tomi
Tomi rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Kerry Raymond
Kerry Raymond rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2014
Livia
Livia rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2014
Jamie Rose
Jamie Rose rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Scott Douglas
Scott Douglas rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Sean Taylor
Sean Taylor rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Paul Foxley
Paul Foxley rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Kellog Mcpussy
Jun 13, 2013 Kellog Mcpussy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My debate reference material #2
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Jasmin
Jasmin rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Debi
Debi rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Mrdavidpeat
Mrdavidpeat rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Abbccc
Abbccc rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Liam
Liam rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Sean Ingham
Sean Ingham rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Jo Rourke
Jo Rourke rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011