Shallow Grave: Book Three in the Pi Julie Collins Series

Shallow Grave: Book Three in the Pi Julie Collins Series (PI Julie Collins #3)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Surveillance on an insurance fraud case in Bear Butte County unfolds tragically for PI Julie Collins when the reappearance of a mysterious hole--the cause of a fatal accident--brings about the landowner's unsettling confession. Bones were recently uncovered on the remote ridge but, fearing repercussions from their illegal off-season hunting, the hunters reburied the remain...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Medallion Press

Keri
Absolutely fabulous twisted read and Julie's past collides with her present when a body is discovered on insurance fraud case that Keven and Julie were investigating. Julie and Martinez's relationship is starting to scorch the pages. While the romance isn't the focus of the book, the times when they are on page are completely off the charts sexy, as LA channels her inner Lorelie James. :-) The mystery aspect was top notch and very twisted in a Karen Rose kind of way. If you haven't read a Julie...more
J.D.
Apr 19, 2008 J.D. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
This, and the other books in Lori Armstrong's Julie Collins series, are the kind of books I talk about to people until they wish I'd just shut up already.

I confess, I've fallen hard for Lori's heroine Julie Collins, a chain smoking, hard-drinking redneck woman with a serious obsession over finding the person who killed her beloved half brother. That story arc is finally resolved in this book, with devastating results for Julie. And her other obsession,with the dangerous biker warlord Tony Martin...more
Eileen
I thinnk that this is my favorite one of the 3 so far. Julie has really developed and I am really beginning to understand her better. Dreams play such a big part in these stories which fascinate me because they are such a big part of my life. Julie's journey has definitely been an interesting ride so far and I am looking forward to the next and final installment.
Guilty Pleasures
LOVED,LOVED, LOVED it....and boy did things heat up with Julie and Tony. Each book keeps me in suspense until the end. I love Julie's hard ass attitude and hidden vulnerability, and man is Tony one sexy bad boy =)

I am sad to know there are only 4 bks in the series.
Darcy
This series just keeps getting better and better with each book. Julie gets flayed bare in this book. Her past comes back into play, so many things she has kept shoving down, but events happen that force her to deal with them.

I love the relationship between Julie and Martinez, they seem to match each other in a way that no one else can. But being who they are they both hide so much from each other. When Martinez asks Julie for a favor the hiding in their relationship becomes a point of contentio...more
Kae Cheatham
The story happens in Bear Butte County, South Dakota, where PI Julie Collins and her partner Kevin Wells find bones on someone's property, then the bones disappear.

The sheriff asks for Julies help, since it could involve an American Indian disappearance; Julie's half-brother is from the local tribe. Her full brother had been mysteriously killed, the murderer never found, so Julie feels a connection to the case.

It's a good mix of contemporary situations in the Plains states, with an intricate my...more
Sherri needs a twin
I've yet to read a LGA story that doesn't ROCK and this is no exception.

This 3rd book in the Julie Collins series (and must be read in order) is the best one yet. We see Julie dealing with her demons, her on/off relationship with Hombres motorcycle "club" president Tony Martinez (swoon!), her friendship with Kevin and a new family member. Secrets abound! We also get to see a thrilling showdown between Julie and the person who killed her brother Ben (yes, we finally find out whodunnit) which lea...more
Ed
#3 in the Julie Collins series.

Julie Collins series - Surveillance on a case unfolds tragically when a hole—the cause of a fatal accident—brings about the landowner’s unsettling confession. Bones were recently uncovered but were reburied and kept quiet. Now the hole is back, but the bones have vanished. Were the bones part of an Indian burial ground? The understaffed sheriff asks for Julie’s help, but the case opens old wounds and she soon finds herself at odds with the Native American community...more
Dave
It wasn't terrible, but I couldn't get past 50 pages. Bored. May come back to it again in the future
Yep, another one. Bought it and read it today. I'm officially a fan of the series. The third outing had tighter writing and satisfying tie-ups to the plot points. I love that I'm still ambivalent about how much I like the main character, but I just want to keep reading anyhow. Highly recommended for those who like broken characters and crime fiction.
Zafia
This book was amazing. It had everything that i loved from the previous books.
First off i'm happy we finally got a resolution on Ben's murder. Not to mention Julie's relationship with Tony - i love them together. I like that the book follows the other books concerning the violence.
Charlene
Accidentally put my Hallowed Ground review here originally, sigh. This is the 3rd book in the series, and concludes an important storyline. Julie Collins keeps growing as a character, can't wait to see what's in store for her in Snow Blind.
Tory Wagner
did not really enjoy this one. Good mystery, but the main character was way too dark. She seemed to constantly be depressed, in trouble, and making stupid choices. Yuck!
Deanna Knippling
This book was almost exactly like a paranormal romance, only without the paranormal. Set in South Dakota (my home state), I found it rang true in so many ways, too.
Shirl
Armstrong is a good writer. She moves her story right along. Her characters are strong and believable.
Carolyn
I really enjoyed these Julie Collins books. I will be looking for more by Lori Armstrong
Karen Olson
The third installment of the Julie Collins series is the best so far.
Eva
So close to giving it a 5 star rating... Best book in the series so far.
Joyce McKune
Julie is still trying to find out who killed her half brother.
Sharon
Book three was just as good as the first two! Love this series.
Anna
Nice ending to some of the overarcing themes from the first two.
Jenica
Wish she would continue the series because it's that good!
Phyllis
Really enjoyed this book. Lots of action.
Sue Jochens
The third in a great series.
Kelsey
favorite one in the series!
Mary Fitzsimons
Love this book and series!!!
Robin Gauvin
Robin Gauvin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
New Mercy Gunderson Mystery From Lori Armstrong 1 3 Jan 14, 2011 10:17AM
Cyber Launch Party Today For Shamus Winner Lori Armstrong 1 2 Jan 12, 2010 05:33AM
  • Wicked Garden
  • Texas Men
  • Take Me Home (Country Roads, #1)
  • Kissing Cowboy (Men of S.W.A.T., #3)
  • Party Naked (Cocktales #1)
  • Eastern Ambitions (Compass Brothers, #3)
  • Love Is Murder
  • Hail Mary (Jim Knighthorse series, #3)
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Double Dippin'
  • In the Marshal's Arms
  • Son of a Gun
  • Rocky Mountain Haven (Six Pack Ranch, #2)
  • Kill Shot (The Collective #1)
  • To Hunt a Sainte (Westlake Enterprises, #1)
Lori G. Armstrong left the firearms industry in 2000. Her first mystery novel, BLOOD TIES, published in 2005, was nominated in 2006 for a Shamus Award for Best First Novel by the Private Eye Writers of America. The second book in the Julie Collins mystery series, HALLOWED GROUND, released Nov. 2006, was nominated for a 2007 Shamus Award for Best Paperback Original, a Daphne du Maurier Award and wo...more
More about Lori G. Armstrong...
Blood Ties (PI Julie Collins, #1) No Mercy (A Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #1) Hallowed Ground (PI Julie Collins, #2) Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2) Snow Blind (PI Julie Collins, #4)