Start by marking “Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe, #14)” as Want to Read:
Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe, #14)

Trouble in Triplicate (Nero Wolfe #14)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,102 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A repackaged Nero Wolfe mystery--the perfect companion for anyone who savors a good murder served up with true flair. Features an introduction by noted writer Randy Russell and never-before-published memorabilia from the life of Rex Stout.
Published June 1st 1993 by Crimeline (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Trouble in Triplicate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble in Triplicate

The Awakening by L.J. SmithNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Struggle by L.J. SmithThe Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Three's a Crowd
78th out of 129 books — 70 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithBreakfast at Tiffany's by Truman CapoteThe Alienist by Caleb Carr
I Love New York City
414th out of 426 books — 237 voters

More lists with this book...

Evgeny
This is a compilation of three Nero Wolfe novellas:

Before I Die. A well-known New York gangster asked Nero Wolfe to help him with a blackmail problem which cannot be solved by conventional gangster methods. Archie is dead set on refusing to take case (this has got to be the first time), but there is a severe meat shortage in US and Nero Wolfe do not consider a meal without meat as such. He accepts the offer in exchange for a nice chunk of beef - in addition to his regular fees.

This is probably t
Tony
TROUBLE N TRIPLICATE. (1949). Rex Stout. ***1/2.
This is a collection of three short stories – almost novellas – by Stout, featuring Nero Wolfe. The stories contained are:
Before I Die: Dazy Perrit comes to Wolfe’s office with a problem. He is being blackmailed by his daughter. Well…she is not actually his daughter, but a young woman whom he has hired to pretend that she is his daughter. Perrit is a big-time gangster, and didn’t want any of his enemies to find out that he had a daughter. That woul
Alison C
Trouble in Triplicate, by Rex Stout, consists of three Nero Wolfe novellas packaged in one book. The first, "Before I Die," involves a gangster who wants to hire Wolfe to protect his daughter and to prevent a hired woman who's pretending to be his daughter from blackmailing him further than she already has; "Help Wanted, Male," has Wolfe in fear for his own life, needing to hire an imposter to cover for him while he seeks the would-be murderer; and the last, "Instead of Evidence," finds Wolfe in ...more
elisia conrardy
Trouble in triplicate

I just can't stop reading the Nero Wolfe books by Rec Stout. this is another winner. The pairing of Wolfe and Goodwin is excellent. but I have to say Saul Panzer and Fritz give the books a tie that keeps you wanting to see more and more of them. in my minds eye I see the characters acted out by actors who played a few years ago. Even if you didn't see the few episodes that were made. I think you will enjoy getting to know the characters. stout is an excellent story teller.
Christopher Rush
I probably should give this 4 stars, but I am selfishly holding it back because I still have a lingering (14-year-old) uncertainty about the "Help Wanted, Male" and "Before I Die" episodes of the Hutton/Chaykin Nero Wolfe series, mainly because I missed them the first time around and only saw them later, so they felt "off" (and still sort of do, though now I've read them, perhaps they'll feel more like "real episodes" ... if that makes sense). I do, now, like the little bit of change of the "Bef ...more
Nan Silvernail
3 Nero Wolfe Mysteries

1) Before I Die - Right in the middle of the wartime meat shortage a well-known gangster with an underworld problem and a connection to the black market walks into the old brownstone. What, for Nero Wolfe could be better? Fritz better warm up the oven while Wolfe warms his brain and Goodwin warms his feet - and his gun!

2) Help Wanted, Male - A man comes to Nero Wolfe with a note that says, "ARE ABOUT TO DIE— AND I WILL WATCH YOU DIE!" By the next day he is dead. Regrettable
Hope
5 stars for the second story, "Help Wanted, Male," which is brilliant and funny and just as good as the stories in Black Orchids and Four to Go, my favorite Stout collections (themed around orchids and holidays, respectively). The final story here, "Instead of Evidence" is profoundly creepy and not in a good way. Skip it, I think.
Ted
These stories are set during or just after WW2. Three short(er) mysteries for Nero Wolfe and Archie, with the usual cast present for two and missing for one. (The tough boys are all in Europe or the Pacific, and Archie wants to join them.)

Good stories by Stout, good reading by Prichard.
Monica Willyard
I enjoyed most of the books in the series. This one isn't my favorite, though it is a pleasant read. I especially didn't like the first story. The other two made it worth finishing.
Dogsandbooks
Used to love but now seems artificial period piece --just a puzzle without character development. Archie very cool. Read at Judy d's in Amherst which was fun
Kate  K. F.
Nero Wolfe is one of my favorite mystery characters as he plays on the tradition of the brilliant detective that never leaves his home. I appreciate the books with three stories in them as Rex Stout's writing is fast and witty and always leaves me wanting more. For lovers of older mysteries, these books are a treat. Archie Goodwin is Wolfe's Watson though he doesn't think that highly of Wolfe and enjoys the complex New York they live in. Readers of The Dresden Files and noir will recognize the s ...more
Jason
I have to say that the introductions to the Rex Stout series are as entertaining as the novels themselves. They usually have a direct correlation to the story (or stories) to follow, and this one was no exception. The intro dares you to read three Nero Wolfe stories in a row and defies you to then not be totally sucked into Nero and Archie's world. Then follows three great Nero shorts. Such fun abounds in these pages-confirming my opinion that Nero and Archie are two of the greatest characters i ...more
Rachel
A collection of three Nero Wolfe stories. In the first a mobster visits Wolf to get his daughter to stop blackmailing him. In the second a publisher that Wolfe worked with to catch a traitor recieves a death threat. In the third A novelties maker comes to Wolfe saying he knows who will kill him and is shortly thereafter killed by an exploding cigar. I love Wolfe and Archies banter and the humor injected in the stories.
Sun
A collection of three Nero Wolfe stories that is better on second reading! I'd forgotten how funny Stout can be via the persona of Archie Goodwin. "Before I Die" features a particularly funny chain of events hinging on whether Wolfe should accept a mobster for a client. The second story, "Help Wanted, Male" shows what happens when Wolfe receives a death threat and the third "Instead of Evidence" is simply explosive.
Ed
#14 in the Nero Wolfe series.

Nero Wolfe series - Trouble in Triplicate is a collection of Nero Wolfe mystery novellas The book contains three stories that first appeared in The American Magazine:"Before I Die" (April 1947); "Help Wanted, Male" (August 1945); and, "Instead of Evidence" (May 1946, as "Murder on Tuesday"). Each of the stories involves a character who is posing as someone else.
Amos
Three separate tales staring Mr Wolfe- a morbidly obese Sherlock Holmes type who solves crimes from the comfort of his own home while continuously shoveling beer & snacks down his throat. Sort of entertaining... Sort of gross... Sort of repetitive in form and in the tale's inevitable outcomes... (mildly)Enjoyed it for what it was, but doubt I'll be returning to this Wolfe's layer.....
Lisa Kucharski
Okay things you learn while reading this trio of short stories- 1. Death threats can be fatal. 2. Nero Wolfe doesn't do body guard work, he solves crimes he is not a crime-preventer... so don't ask him to protect you.

Lots of fun, crazy characters for Archie to goggle over and toss out the door. Bullets fly, people die and things explode. Now go read all about it.
Slarson6
Three short stories with Nero Wolfe. The first one was made into on the the AMC tv episodes starring Timothy Hutton. I believe the next two are also.

I am always of fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe, and these three stories reinforced that attitude. Nice twists and much fun to read!
Bill  Kerwin
There are pleasures here for the Nero Wolfe addict in this collection of three novellas, but this is far from Rex Stout's best. Highlight: chafing under WW II rationing, Wolfe the gourmet works for a crime boss in order to obtain good black market meat.
Mmyoung
Stout was never his best writing short stories nor did he deal well with the Second World War. None of the stories in this collection show Stout at his best nor do Goodwin and Wolfe show the skills or wit that generally endear them to readers.
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
Not Stout's best. I would recommend skipping this one until you have finished the rest of canon if you only want the best quality stories. It consists of 3 short stories rather than a true novel.
Patty
I so enjoy the compact, tightly written Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin stories. The clever, action-packed yet cerebral mysteries keep me coming back and I am never disappointed.
Penelope
Vicki Cline
This was an interesting set of stories. All were very different and enjoyable, although I do prefer the novels.
Mary
These are 3 short stories, and they are rather good...but I still prefer the full-length novel for Nero Wolfe!
NC
Michael Pritchard is a wonderful reader of these Nero Wolfe books. Wonderful use of the language.
Emma
I love a good mystery and I love that this book contains a story that wasn't in the tv series.
William Ritch
A nice collection of Wolfe novelettes - some with amazing twists and turns!
Denise Sutherland
I love Rex Stout's novellas, great little vignettes.
earthy
Three clever and funny wartime-era novellas.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 15 Feb 02, 2015 03:09PM
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)
  • Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder, #7)
  • The Case of the Blonde Bonanza
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • Murder for Christmas
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • The Dain Curse
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)