Start by marking “Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)

Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra #6)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  6,121 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood.

The powerful of Elantra believe that th
Published August 1st 2010 by Luna Books

To ask other readers questions about Cast in Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast in Chaos

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
124 books — 164 voters
The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
1,748 books — 6,567 voters

More lists with this book...

Felicia
Sep 06, 2010 Felicia rated it liked it
GUYS...I hate to be negative, but the last few books in this series have not lived up to my immense excitement for them. I feel like what I personally loved about this series is not what the AUTHOR likes about it, is that weird/arrogant/ridiculous to say? It's a really weird place to be, because I feel like a jerk not loving what the author's vision is, because she's the the OWNER of the series, but I'm reading these books going, "WHERE ARE THE CHARACTERS AND PLOT I WANT TO SEE?! WHERE ARE YOU G ...more
Mark
Aug 31, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing
I adore Michelle Sagara.

It's true, I do adore her. And I am in awe of how deep her creativity is. There is not one book of hers that I have read and thought 'oh, that's just like [insert author/book:]'. For me, with Michelle, it just it doesn't happen, and while I certainly haven't read everything out there - and tend to avoid those deemed 'classics' in the genre - I have read a lot.

Michelle is one of those writers whose work makes me stop all of my own work so I can just immerse myself in sto
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4.5/5/ 5 stars; A

I think this was my favourite book in the series so far. Kaylin kind of saves the world again. I thought the travel between worlds and the continuing revelations about the Ancient ones, the elemental garden, and the cranky dragons was well done.

Strangely, Kaylin is still only a private, is paid crap, and treated like crap. How is that???
ambyr
I am calling this The Cast Book In Which People Finally Answer Each Other's Questions. Not that there's not still plenty of evasiveness and need-to-know, but an astonishing number of queries (at least, for this series) actually elicit responses, sometimes even more detailed than Kaylin wants. It made for a much more satisfying read, and helped build a stronger picture of the world.

Metaphysical endings, in which rather than kill X bad guy or deliver Y plot token the protagonist must in some mysti
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Paraphrodite
Dec 06, 2015 Paraphrodite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2015
The author really likes words!!!

Finally the "love" triangle is starting....
Estara
May 20, 2013 Estara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy author
Keziah Wallis
Although it doesn't seem possible, Sagara just keeps getting better and better with the Elantra series. I think Cast in Shadow remains my favourite Elantra novel, but Cast in Chaos has stolen the second favourite prize from Cast in Fury.

Sagara's writing is just one of the things I love about these novels. There is such a moreish air to the story. I didn't stay up until after midnight just because my best friend wanted to read the book today. I couldn't stop reading. Every word flowed onto the ne
Kathy Davie
First read 8 March 2013.

Sixth in the Chronicles of Elantra fantasy series for young adults about a remarkable young woman who has a lot of learning to endure yet.

My Take
This particular story is about the elements that make up the world: earth, air, fire, and water. Being a magical world, it seems an element may well be missing, creating an opportunity to build a story around refugees fleeing their homeland and how a civilized country/world would meet their plight. A story that is made up of word
Siew Ee
Jan 09, 2014 Siew Ee rated it liked it
I read the first few books of this series many years ago and did not go on because the library did not have the newer books in stock. Recently, I re-read them to fully appreciate the whole package before moving on...

I like this series. Undoubtedly, the world-building and character development are nothing short of great. It is easy to get immersed in the whole make-believe Elantran world with Kaylin as she explored, stumbled around and fought her way through all the mysteries and daunting challen
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I was a bit shocked at the thickness of this book, I had hopes it was going to be a wildly interesting ride. Sadly I was almost as disappointed with this one as I was the last.

Mostly, it was just too long, repetitive with some utterly useless paragraphs. I was tempted to get a red pen out and start crossing out the unnecessary parts. I especially grew tired of Kaylin repeating what she'd done or learned to everyone she encountered sometimes in greater detail than was needed.

However, there were
Amélie
Review first published at http://fansofmsw.com/

Summary:

In this book, the magic in Elani street, the street of the magicians and charlatans, is going wild and the city is threatened by an invasion from another world; Kaylin and Severn are send to investigate this.

My opinion:

In this book, the relationship between Kaylin, Severn and Nightshade finally progress! Unfortunately, it’s limited to Severn and Nightshade “expressing” their desire/ love for Kaylin and her being uncomfortable about it. Yet i
Paradoxical
Feb 26, 2012 Paradoxical rated it really liked it
This series is, at once, beautiful and frustrating. Sometimes you want to smack Kaylin and sometimes you just want to hug her. If nothing else, the books are entertaining and they capture your attention and imagination very quickly. The author does much the same in Cast in Chaos, expanding and developing the world that she has created and making it something rich and rather lovely (as well as rather terrible to boot).

The beginning of the book was a bit of a mess. It has been a while since I've l
Deirdre
Aug 18, 2010 Deirdre rated it it was amazing
I am impressed. The Chronicles of Elantra series has once again been added to with a fabulous tale. I don't read very much High Fantasy, but these books are too good to pass by! Michelle Sagara does a great job in making sure these novels have a very modern feel, and they are a delight to read. Cast in Chaos, the sixth book, continues the story of the Hawk, (read: law enforcement officer) Kaylin Neya.

Something shifty is going down on the streets of Elantra. More precisely on Elani street. That’
Jeffrey
Jul 28, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
The problem with this book is its too long. As you know from reading the Kaylin books previously, Kaylin, who is a lowly Private in the Hawks, which are guards and detectives for the Empire, also happens to have been blessed or cursed with magical sigils and runes that are affixed all over her body. She is a Chosen, and through her magic has in previous books, healed the Barrani, an immortal race of beings who needed her gifts as the Chosen and as a midwife to save their Prince and Queen.
In this
Sho
Jan 07, 2012 Sho rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Oh my there is only one more to reread....(T_T)

After rereading this book I realized that it has one of the most heart-warming confessions of the series. Severn tells Kaylin why he loves her while she is striving to communicate with the "Devourer." I felt he was more directly involved than the other books, where he was more of an observer. While she does this, Kaylin also has to come face to face with her issues of trust and left over anger/resentment she has with Severn and herself.

I also loved
Colleen
Nov 02, 2010 Colleen rated it really liked it
Someone else calls this "The Book in Which People's Questions Are [finally] Answered." She's not wrong. With a re-reading or two, this might make it up to my second favorite in the series. (My favorite is still Cast in Courtlight.) I'm still enjoying the series, and especially enjoying the idea that Kaylin has to learn from her mistakes, and that she is winning through by guess and golly just as much as any skills she may acquire. Sagara has been incredibly loyal to Kaylin's stubborn belief that ...more
Jun 14, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I think I'm noticing a trend with these books. I start out really enjoying the story, the plot, the world, the characters, etc. But then the climax hits and things get much too wordy over the metaphysical stuff, at which point I start skimming lots and lots. I also wish Sagara would switch things up a bit. I would love to see Kaylin partnered up with Teela, Tain, and Clint instead of Severn all the time. And there are only so many end of the world scenarios that one can take before it gets ...more
Shelley
Oct 14, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it
*Genre* Fantasy, Science Fiction
*Rating* 4.0

*Review forthcoming*

Probably the best book of the series to this point. I really enjoyed reading about Kaylin's journey and her continued awareness that as the so called Chosen, she has responsibilities to a lot different variations she encounters over the course of her job as a Hawk. Finally, we get to see some sort of reaction between Severn and Kaylin. Now, if we can figure out the relationship between Kaylin and Lord Nightshade I would be happier t
Karen
Aug 15, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
i LOVED this book. kaylin's character has been developing beautifully. she has changed and grown since we first met her, and this book definitely highlighted her growth.

we got to learn more about nightshade, which was fabulous, and the arkon has a prominent role. i am loving him, so very much.

i have yet to be disappointed by an elantra book. this was a fast paced book that i had to struggle to put down. children? what children... i have a book to read...

i just love this series so freaking much.
Danielle
Aug 27, 2012 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I always enjoy these books - they are well written and deal with interesting themes. This one dragged a bit in the middle, with maybe more metaphysical contemplation than was strictly necessary. But I loved the end, and the focus on "home" was really beautiful. Looking forward to the next installment. I would give this 3.5 if I could - I liked it a lot, but want to distinguish between my faves in the series and the ones I just liked.
Beth
Aug 15, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. It is perhaps my favorite of the series so far! Particularly the last five (?!) chapters or so -- they way Michelle resolves the major conflict -- is just so heartfelt & amazing.

I've re-read this book serveral times. I bought the ebook to read the day of release & the dead tree in-case of power outage and/or apocolypse. :)
Carrie
May 20, 2015 Carrie rated it it was amazing
If you've considered reading this series, do it, just to get the backstory for this book. The monologues alone are worth it, but the emotions the author conveys and the visuals she creates are very much worth your time. Learn what trust, hope, love, loss, and love really are, follow Kaylin in discovering what home is.
Mskychick
Sep 21, 2015 Mskychick rated it liked it
Shelves: henrico-ebook
Fav quotes:

“I am attempting to absorb local color and dialect.”
“You mean, without eating it first?”
“Indeed.”

a Dragon in your face was more of a concern than a Leontine in a mirror, so she nodded and began to walk.
Karagan
Jul 21, 2010 Karagan rated it really liked it
Sagara likes to give you just enough to get your heart a warm, ooey gooey feeling and then, with a fist encased in ice, rips said heart right out of your chest.

Severn+Kaylin
Kel Born
Jul 23, 2010 Kel Born rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous installment from Ms. Sagara. I want to discuss the plot and the developments in both Kaylin's past and future, but I think I need to read it again (and again and...) first.
C.E. Murphy
Apr 04, 2012 C.E. Murphy rated it it was amazing
Hands down my favorite of the series so far.
Anna Wick
Oct 15, 2016 Anna Wick rated it it was amazing
Still reading, but since I just surfaced after almost getting sucked into the mirror, again! I had to put a little of my thoughts down.
the Cast of Shadows didn't thrill me, it was free book download and I was reading it while waiting for books of my favorite authors to be released. I enjoy world building like Celta by Robin D Owens and Alera Codex by Jim Butcher, this series reminds me a little of Alera, in that the main character has a lot of growing up to do and the underlying dangers are murk
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it
This is the 6th book in the Chronicles of Elantra series. The 7th book Cast in Ruins is due out in 2011 and there are currently 8 books on contract for this series. This book was okay, but like the last book in the series, focuses more on philosophy and metaphysical stuff than the great fight scenes that I loved to see Kaylin and Severn in. My overall impression was that this book was wordy and long.

In this book Kaylin is supposed to be stepping up studies on her magic lessons and starting etiqu
Katelin Campbell
Jun 08, 2016 Katelin Campbell rated it really liked it
Originally from A Bookworm's Confessions

This is 4.5 stars.

I have a difficult time giving these books 5 stars and I think it's because sometimes I get confused and I have to go back and reread in order to understand it.
This was a really good book. This book doesn't focus on one particular race but I was hoping it would. I would really like to learn more about the Aerians. Cast in Ruin focuses on Dragons and Cast in Peril is another Barrani book. When do we get the Aerians? I want to know!!

Anyway
Madison Mega-Mara...: Cast in Chaos (#39) 1 2 Sep 23, 2013 01:13PM
  • House Name (The House War, #3)
  • Lady of Mercy (The Sundered, #3)
  • Harvest Moon (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5.5; Chronicles of Elantra, #0.5)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)