Start by marking “Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe, #28)” as Want to Read:
Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe, #28)

Three for the Chair (Nero Wolfe #28)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,072 ratings  ·  32 reviews
One thing is certain to distract Nero Wolfe from his culinary and horticultural pursuits: murder. This time Wolfe and his able assistant, Archie Goodwin, are put in the hot seat when they are called upon to investigate three different murders.
Published August 1st 1994 by Crimeline (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Three for the Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three for the Chair

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithBreakfast at Tiffany's by Truman CapoteThe Alienist by Caleb Carr
I Love New York City
145th out of 428 books — 236 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussDoctor Zhivago by Boris PasternakThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOn the Road by Jack Kerouac4 by Agatha Christie
Best Books of 1957
62nd out of 63 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

David Miller
Three more first-rate Nero Wolfe stories. I love the orderliness of these books. As in "The Divine Comedy", once the pattern is established (the brownstone townhouse, the morning and evening hours with the orchids, the dislike of leaving home, the dichotomy of Archie as the man-of-action and Wolfe as the man-of-thought), much of the interest in each book is the deviation from the pattern. Two of the stories in this book have Wolfe leaving home. In one of them, Wolfe does the cooking, instead of ...more
Maura
not as good as a full length novel, but I'll take Archie in short story form any day. :)
Jonathan
I started reading Rex Stout’s books back in 1997 when I got a couple of the books as Christmas gifts. Now I am not much of a mystery reader except a couple of the Sherlock Holmes books. I couldn’t put down this book. It is one of the few books Rex has written that has not one story but three short cases that Nero Wolfe has worked. The stories in general are the best Stout as an author has ever done. This shows how his skill in handling characters and a plot in novelette form. The dialogue is gre ...more
Jessi
A Window for Death
A newly reunited family is once again torn asunder when the wealthy oldest brother dies. It's not a surprise, he had pneumonia, but his siblings wonder enough to hire Nero Wolfe.
Wolfe interviews the doctor, the nurse, the three remaining siblings as well as one spouse and manages to deduce the killer
Immune to Murder
Wolfe has been hired to cook trout for a diplomat but while at the man's rustic cottage, there's a murder. The victim was not particularly well-liked so there's no
Adam Graham
While shopping in the thrift store, I found a 1968 Bantam Paperback copy of, Three for the Chair, a 1957 compilation of three Nero Wolfe novellas. While the book was not my planned next Nero Wolfe read, I decided to grab it cheap and enjoy the book.

There are three stories in this book and each should be reviewed in its own right.

A Window for Death:

A man who left his family under a cloud of suspicion and then made a fortune in mining, apparently dies of natural causes after returning home. Member
Nan Silvernail
Three Nero Wolfe Mysteries

1) A Window For Death - A miner long thought dead returns and stirs up too much trouble for his family. Does his fortune belong to the family members who have been enjoying it or to the partner with whom he split everything 50/50? There's also an unsolved murder lurking in the past of the family, the miner's father whose bedroom window was left open to let the snow drift in one cold, cruel night... now the miner is dead from the same thing. Is the family cursed or is a
Eli
It's been a long time since I pickd up a Nero Wolfe book, but time has not diminished the eloquent and intellectually stimulating tenor of this series by Rex Stout.

Nero Wolfe, for those not in the know, is a big, fat, private detective who resides in a brownstone in New York City, along with his factotum, Archie Goodwin; his horticulturist, Theodore Hortsmann; and his chef, Fritz Brenner.

Wolfe is a genius, and the first one to let you know so. He adheres to a strict schedule of eating, tending t
meeners
more interesting by far than the three rather dull stories in this collection is the author bio of rex stout printed on the first page, pieces of which i will quote verbatim here:

--"born . . . the sixth of nine children of John and Lucetta Todhunter Stout, both Quakers"
--"educated in a country school, but by the age of nine he was recognized throughout the state as a prodigy in arithmetic"
--"spent [two years] as a warrant officer on board President Theodore Roosevelt's yacht"
--"worked as a sight
Parson
Positives
+ Good humor. Beyond the wordiness, the writing style is enjoyable
+ Stout uses the oddest things as suggestions or evidence for Wolfe. (view spoiler)
+ The interplay between Archie and Nero is priceless. Snappy, truthful, witty, and hilarious.
+ The small eccentricities given to the characters (Archie's love of milk, etc.) makes the book amusing.

Neutrals
+/- The choice of focused details (IE, the specs in "Immune to Murder") bord
John
Rex Stout writes the best dialog ever.... and as always Wolfe, Goodwin, and Brenner (and friends) are fantastic characters. I've read every Nero Wolfe novel at least once, and this re-read was a romp as usual, through three short mysteries - not that I read Stout for the mystery itself (which are indeed not always all that much of a mystery); in actuality, I read them for the clever interplay of his protagonists.
Stephen Osborne
I don't read Nero Wolfe stories for the mystery plots. Those are secondary, nice as they are. I enjoy Stout because of the complex characters he's created, especially the rotund and frankly grouchy Nero Wolfe. It's especially fun when Wolfe is out of his element, his cozy brownstone on W. 35th St. And here we have Wolfe out cooking trout for ambassadors in one tale and arrested as a material witness in Albany in another. These crimes Wolfe solves not for money or because he wants to...he just wa ...more
Apr 14, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good (albeit somewhat old-fashioned) mystery or detective story
Recommended to Sarah by: Uncle Dick
Shelves: mystery
i had heard of the character nero wolfe (the private detective in many rex stout books), but had never read any of the books before. this one actually contains three short stories featuring wolfe and i really enjoyed them all. they were quick, easy reads and very entertaining. i didn't find myself trying to figure out who the culprit was as much as i do in other mystery books, which may be due to the shortened length of the stories, but overall these were thouroughly enjoyable and will likely le ...more
Ed
#28 in the Nero Wolfe series. Three novellas thematically joined by Nero Wolfe venturing from his W. 35th Street brownstone. Stout was a master not only at the novel form but also at novellas which would be serialized in magazines and then gathered (usually 3 at a time) in book form.

Nero Wolfe series - three novellas:
"A Window for Death," first published in The American Magazine (May 1956) as "Nero Wolfe and the Vanishing Clue"
"Immune to Murder," first published in The American Magazine (Nove
Carol
OK, I've never read a Nero Wolfe novel I didn't love. Same for these 3 novellas, published in 1955 but apparently written earlier. Only their datedness, & particularly their glaring sexism (encountering a female detective on a case, Archie heroically tries to get past his bias against "she-dicks" so as to rate her as date material), bogged me down a little. Better IMO than being grossed out by the graphic violence of so many contemporary mysteries. And Stout keeps me guessing every time!
***Dave Hill
(Original review from Sep 2005)

Three “fish out of water” Nero Wolfe tales, each having to do with an occasion that brings Wolfe out of his comfortable brownstone and out to the scene of the (eventual) crime. The individual stories are fine ones, but the combination robs the oddity of … well, its oddity. Still, a decent Wolfe book is always worth it, and I’ve begun rereading my fairly extensive collection of them as “comfort food.” Good stuff.
Vicki Cline
This is another collection of three novellas, unusual in that Wolfe goes not only out of his house, which he hates to do, but out of New York City in two of them. In the last one, he and Archie are part of a collection of private investigators being accused of perfoming illegal wiretaps, and the person who hired them turns up dead in the building in Albany, NY, where they have congregated. It's a very interesting story.
Bill  Kerwin

Three highly enjoyable Wolfe novellas. In one of them, Wolfe is summoned by the state department to cook trout for a visiting ambassador, in another a squad of private detectives (including Wolfe and Goodwin) summoned to Albany for a wiretapping investigation all become suspect in the murder of a witness, and in the third the most important question is . . . what happened to the ice cream?
Rusty
Three tales for fun: A Window for Death, Immune to Murder and Too Many Detectives. Of the three, I enjoyed Too Many Detective most. It was fun to see the male reactions to the female private detectives and see who banded together to solve the murder. The personalities of these unique private detectives involved were delightful.
Mary
This volume includes 3 novellas...a format that works well for the style and the subject. Included here are "A Window for Death", "Immune to Murder", and "Too Many Detectives". It is in "Too Many Detectives" that we meet "Dol" Bonner-one of the only female operatives Wolfe ever works with.
J.
Three good novellas. They may lack much of the rich and entertaining detail of New York and the Nero Wold townhouse world that a novel will have, but they move along to the usual denouement meeting rapidly and contain of Archie's and Nero's character quirks to satisfy.
Jason
2 out of these shorts have Nero out of his NYC home-those I find especially fun reads-when Nero is out of his comfort zone, everyone watch out!
Ethan
If you don't know Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe, you don't know some of the most enjoyable, entertaining mystery stories ever written. Most stories are short, spiced up with some humor from the narrator, Mr. Archie Goodwin. Wonderful, short novels perfect for a long trip.
Shelley
Three fun Nero Wolfe stories, set in (and originally published in) the 1950s. These are the outside edge of my favorite Wolfe stories; I really prefer the older mysteries. But always fun and always a marvel of voice and first person narration.
Jane Elfring
I don't ordinarily read detection stories but this was an interesting read with an interesting detective. This book was actually 3 separate stories. Good for diversion or if you like the Nero Wolfe series.
Allen Sellers
Rex Stout has long been one of my favorite writers and this book does not disappoint. Three short Nero Wolfe mysteries in one good book. One of the stories was used for the Nero Wolfe series on A&E.
Rachel
Excellent - I read it all imagining the voices of Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton, which meant I finally learned just how well the A&E version was cast. I'll be picking up more by this author.
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
Three fine, amusing mysteries with our beloved detective Nero Wolfe and his able assistant Archie Wolfe far from Wolfe's brownstone.
Steve Goble
Three short mysteries, pretty good stuff from Stout.
Lisa Kucharski
An enjoyable read, the last story featuring all detectives was a treat.
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)
  • In the Midst of Death (Matthew Scudder, #3)
  • The Case of the Long-Legged Models
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)

“cream is put in a cardboard container, and the container is put in a carton on a bed of dry ice, and chunks of dry ice are packed on both sides of it and on top.” 0 likes