Start by marking “1415: Henry V's Year of Glory” as Want to Read:
1415: Henry V's Year of Glory

1415: Henry V's Year of Glory

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Henry V is regarded as the great English hero. Lionised in his own day for his victory at Agincourt, his piety and his rigorous application of justice, he was elevated by Shakespeare into a champion of English nationalism for all future generations. But what was he really like? Does he deserve to be thought of as 'the greatest man who ever ruled England?'

In Ian Mortimer's
Published September 2nd 2010 by Vintage (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1415, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1415

happy
This is an interesting take on Henry V. Dr. Mortimer‘s Henry is definitely not Shakespeare’s. The Henry that Dr. Mortimer presents in an extremely pious, religious person, a son who did not get along with his father, a king who does not sit easy on his throne and is merciless in his dealing with those who threaten his crown or go against his wishes. He is very determined to prove that he really is God’s anointed King of England by emulating his Great Grandfather, Edward III, in pressing his clai ...more
Lindz
When I studied history at university many, many moons ago, history and narrative were two completely separate entities. In fact history and narrative were not allowed in the same room together, not even a little bit of small talk. Us faux academics used to scorn those who pushed the dignified objective history with the exaggerated and flowery narrative, how very dare they. Pop history, we called it.

Since then I have toned down the snob a little, and come to see that yes history does have a natur
Michael Jecks
Ian Mortimer is a one-off. His books of history read like thrillers, and it's impossible to put them down once you've started reading. This is just fabulous - highly recommended!
Hyarrowen
The author of this book, Ian Mortimer, is a once-in-a-generation historian. His approach to history is to see it almost as current events, rather than through the lens of later interpretation. The people he writes about are struggling with their problems in the same way that we, in our present, are struggling with ours; but they're set firmly in the context and attitudes of their own times.

This book is a new departure in historical scholarship - a day-by-day account of the events of that year. P
Brian
I found this an interesting read for all sorts of reasons, some of which are irrelevant to the prospective reader. What it is, is a day by day account of the year 1415, detailing what Henry V and the other major players were doing. This is a most unusual approach, and it throws up all sorts of interesting details and snippets which would be excluded from a conventional account. It also gives a flavour of what a king's life was like, and what work landed on his desk each day - albeit this was not ...more
Gary
This is a book for dipping into every now and again. I can't read it for long periods as it is actually an almost day by day recounting of what happened in the year 1415, surrounding Henry V. It's very interesting and is written well but it's not a novel and therefore I've got it in the car for reading when I'm waiting to pick my daughter up etc.
Angela
A solid retelling of a pivotal year in British history, and the most famous year of King Henry V’s rein. Unfortunately, the biography gets mired in its own format, a day-by-day retelling of the year 1415. The problem with a journalistic format is that an enormous amount of time is devoted to simply recounting payments granted or received. At certain places, this goes on long enough for the reader for forget that they are reading a biography and not an accounting ledger. And, after the climactic ...more
Pete daPixie
Another gem from Ian Mortimer. Anyone who holds an interest in medieval historical non-fiction writing cannot find better reading material than this superb quartet, namely; 'The Greatest Traitor:The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer', 'The Perfect King:The Life of Edward III', 'The Fears of Henry IV:The Life of England's Self Made King' and finally this publication of 2009 '1415:Henry V's Year of Glory'.
I just cannot think of another modern historian covering any period of English history that has writ
Emmanuel Gustin
Ian Mortimer's day-by-day account of the year 1415 covers Henry V's preparations for the invasion of France, the siege of Harfleur and the battle of Agincourt, and their aftermath. The original narrative structure provides a lot of context to the kings actions and helps us to understand the impact of the event of the battle. Mortimer's writing is high quality as always.

I am slightly less convinced by the historian's final judgment of Henry V. Mortimer eloquently analyzes and defends his right as
Philip Challinor
A fair rival to Winston Churchill for the title of Most Overrated Briton in History, Henry V is portrayed via a day-by-day account of the pivotal year from Christmas 1414 to Christmas 1415, climaxing on 25 October with a riveting account of Agincourt. Drawing heavily on the king's household accounts, Mortimer follows the money to reveal Henry's plans and priorities, showing among other things that the king's war against France was more a matter of personal pride and domestic prestige than milita ...more
Andrew
Another excellent book from Ian Mortimer - this time instead of the usual biography/battle rundown, the author has done a timeline of the year 1415, on a day by day basis. This way we can gain different insights into what was happening in that year. 1415 wasn't just about Henry V and the Battle of Agincourt - it was a time when we had 3 Popes on the go at once and there was a big council at the City of Constance to try and resolve this issue and unify the Church. This was around the time that we ...more
Caroline
Shakespeare has a lot to answer for when it comes to the perception of certain English kings. Shakespeare wrote Richard III as a villain and a villain is how people remember him. He wrote Henry V as the perfect warrior king and again, that's how we remember him. The fact that neither king bore any real relation to Shakespeare's potrayals are almost irrelevant.

Mortimer sets out to portray the real Henry in this book, and by a large he succeeds admirably. He takes a rather unusual form (for histor
Nathan
A journal-style, day-by-day account of the year 1415, as focussed on the doings of English King Henry V Lancaster.

Lots of detail here on the minutiae of Medieval government, with many many references to grants, appeals, finances, meetings, councils, treasons, negotiations and logistics. Oh, and the siege of Harfleur and the Battle of Agincourt.

Mortimer claims that writing a history in this style uncovers ways of seeing events in different lights to the normal narrative based on event or theme.
Unwordy
Ian Mortimer's idea to take a single year of a king's reign and to go through it day-by-day, presenting all the things he did that can be gleaned from documents extant, and also setting the said king's activities in the broader context of important religious and temporal developments taking place in Europe at the same time, is absolutely brilliant and makes for a fascinating read.

However, am quite a bit amused by what appears to be the author's personal grudge against Henry V. Don't be a hater,
Abby Fermont
I enjoyed this new way of reading history; the day by day account of a year. After watching a performance of Henry V I wanted to find out more about Agincourt and about Henry himself and chose this book almost at random. I'm glad I did though.
Deborah
Feb 23, 2014 Deborah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just began to read
Dougie Morgan
I found this book to be an enourmous help in my investigation of Henry V's role in the Battle of Agincourt. Mortimer simply stuffs the book with fascinating facts, whilst still finding space to make acute observations on the living conditions of the English Army.
The book can seem a little long-winded at times, but overall it gives an absolutely fascinating insight into the 1415 campaign as a whole, as well as giving one a pretty good idea of what life was like in the 15th century.
Humaira
Daniel Kukwa
Once again, this is a book that presents fantastic scholarship, but is extremely inconsistent as an enjoyable read. As a glimpse into a single defining year for Henry V and what made him Shakespeare's star...to say nothing of his place amongst the pantheon of British kings & queens...it's magnificent. But it can occasionally drag the reader into too much minute detail...and swings from compelling to dull.
Jane Walker
Mortimer's approach is unusual; a day-by-day, calendar account of the year. It provides a wealth of detail (sometimes this gets a bit tedious) but eliminates authorial bias, as far as possible, in the presentation of the king and his achievements. Mortimer justifies his method at the end of the book.
Gayle Noble
The time of Henry V is one I have never really studied in detail, so I was looking forward to this book. Unfortunately it is so detailed that it drags in parts. It also takes in so many people and events that I still feel as if I know very little of Henry V himself.
Kate (Trojanhorse)
An excellent account of 1415 which I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Just short of a 5 star rating because the conclusion let it down.
Lezley
Aug 01, 2014 Lezley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Brantford Library
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Michael Burns
Michael Burns marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Leanne Sinclair
Leanne Sinclair marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • Conquest
  • The Wars of the Roses: Through the Lives of Five Men and Women of the Fifteenth Century
  • The Rise of the Tudors: The Family That Changed English History
  • King John
  • A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain
  • The Last Days of Richard III
  • Richard and John: Kings at War
  • The Plantagenet Chronicles 1154-1485 (Richard the Lionheart, Richard II, Henry V, Richard III)
  • Empress Matilda: Queen Consort, Queen Mother and Lady of the English
  • The Conquering Family (The Plantagenets, #1)
  • Isabella and the Strange Death of Edward II
  • Richard I (English Monarchs)
  • Blood & Roses
  • Richard III
  • Katherine Swynford: The History of a Medieval Mistress
  • Royal Blood: Richard III and the Mystery of the Princes
  • The Perfect Prince: The Mystery of Perkin Warbeck and His Quest for the Throne of England
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens
AKA James Forrester.

Dr Ian Mortimer was born in Petts Wood (Kent) in 1967. He won a scholarship to Eastbourne College (Sussex) and later read for degrees in history and archive studies at the universities of Exeter and London (UCL). From 1991 to 2003 he worked for a succession of archive and historical research organisations, including Devon Record Office, the Royal Commission on Historical Manusc
More about Ian Mortimer...
The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, Father of the English Nation The Greatest Traitor: The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, Ruler of England 1327-1330 Fears of Henry IV: The Life of England's Self-made King