Start by marking “Over Hexed (Hex, #1)” as Want to Read:
Over Hexed (Hex, #1)

Over Hexed (Hex #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,049 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Dorcas and Ambrose are matchmaking sex therapists for witches and warlocks. Now they're doing it for mere mortals-although the handsome Sean Madigan is kind of an Adonis. Until Dorcas and Ambrose strip him of his sex appeal and introduce him to his destiny, Maggie Grady. This time winning a girl's heart won't be so easy for Sean. It means rediscovering the charms buried be ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by Onyx Books

To ask other readers questions about Over Hexed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over Hexed

Gina
A cute and funny romance!

What can I say? While I’m a sucker for a happy ending, this one had me laughing in places as well.

Sean Madigan, the handsome, sexy stud muffin of Big Knob (okay, the synopsis had me laughing - who would give any town that for a name!), was just about every available women’s ‘go-to-guy’ for great sex. And Sean, being a guy, wouldn’t say no. But it got to the point where sex wasn’t enough anymore and stopped - for nearly a year, even avoiding the women as much as possible.
Lady Entropy
This gets only 3 stars because it's definitely not my genre (modern romance with a dash of the supernatural) -- but god, it's such a fun, sweet, and NICE read. I mean, seriously, it's simple, but so endearing.

There are no "nasty" characters -- people have their flaws, but all of them feel real, and sincerely nice people. It came to a place where I knew that the "dark moment" was close to happening, but I was almost screaming "NooooO! Just end now! Let them have their happy ever after!".

The book
Jessica  `~Blahyze~`
Sean has a problem, every female he comes across wants him but he is sick of being used and groped, he wants something more. When he meets Dorcas and Ambrose they offer him a solution to his problem, turning off his sex appeal and making his appearance low-key;

“Sean thought about the women that mobbed him at every turn, his lack of freedom to move around town without being pinched or whistled at, his complete disinterest in sex. He lifted his glass and candlelight bounced off the cut crystal. Th

Marsha
Ms. Thompson specializes in atypical, nerdy men as her romantic leads and as such they have become a trademark of her romance novels. Here she tweaks her usual formula by starting off with a gorgeous guy and turning him into an average Joe, complete with lack of muscle definition, Clark Kent glasses and unruly hair. Played for giggles, this novel explores the lighter side of sex, sensuality and magic. While the rapidity with which Sean and Maggie fall into lust with each other is a bit disappoin ...more
Jennifer Schaper
Review Courtesy of: Books That Hook

I only meant to sample this book, but I got sucked in and stayed up all night to finish it. I normally don’t like books that have so much sex (because I feel it takes away from the story line). Vicki Lewis Thompson is the exception. Even though the characters have a lot of sex, it is always a necessary component of the story. I think she’s clever to make the plot hinge on the sex.

In Over Hexed, Ambrose and Dorcas are ‘exiled’ to Big Knob to get the irresponsibl
PCT
Jenifer
This book was funny and sweet all wrapped up into one package. Warning: There may be spoilers ahead!

I love the idea that a man would be so good-looking and sexy that he would wish he wasn't like that anymore. I also love that as soon as he gets that wish he wants it back to get what he wants from someone else.

Sean is the town hottie, and women all over town just want to find their way into his bed. Sean, after living with this all his life, is ready to get away from that and just wants to be lef
Angie
It's no wonder Vicki Lewis Thompson is one of my favorite authors! Over Hexed is another wildly fun and sexy romance! Set in the small town of Big Knob (LoL), Sean Madigan has no problem getting women. In fact, after years of having the local women literally throwing themselves at him, he's sick of it. He's never had a real relationship, and he's ready to find the one. Lucky for him there's some new arrivals in his sleepy little town. First there's the new couple, Dorcas and Ambrose, who no one ...more
Anita
Sep 03, 2008 Anita rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PNR fans looking for a light read
This is a light and fluffy cotton-candy type of book, and a very quick read. A predictable, sweet, paranormal romance.

Dorcas (F) and Ambrose (M), 50-something married witch and wizard matmakers screwed up a spell and are sent to babysit an inept dragon in Big Knob, Indiana as their punishment. This small town sports a very phalic looking rock formation, hence the name.

Sean Madigan has suffered from extreme attractiveness since he hit puberty. Women are constantly throwing themselves at him, and
Alice
I am not, generally, a fan of romance novels. This author was recommended as one who doesn't use the tropes that so turn me off most romance reads. I'm glad for the recommendation, because I really enjoyed it.

The story is about Sean Madigan, a small-town hottie who's sick of the attention. He can't go out in public without being groped and propositioned. He enjoyed the attention when he was young, but now he just wants to go about his days without worrying about who he'll bump into.

Then into his
Kezermezer
Sean Madigan has finally gotten his wish - he has lost the super sexiness that's plagued him all his life, so he can finally walk down the street without being bombarded by women. But it couldn't have come at a worse time, because Maggie Grady just blew into town and she's the first woman to attract him in who-knows-how-long, but she won't give him a second look. Complicating matters is the fact that she wants to buy the land his childhood home sits on and raze it for a big box store, while he w ...more
Vivian
This is one of those very fluffy reads. It is just so cheesy and over the top, annoyingly so at times, but overall fun. The story takes place in a small town of 947 people with a superstudly, over-pheromoned dude named Sean who can't get girls to leave him alone. He meets a wizard couple who give him a potion to make him unattractive. Then, he meets the girl of his dreams, Maggie, who is also trying to buy his childhood home and turn it into a bargain chain store. Unfortunately, Sean's lost his ...more
Melissa
It took me a bit to get into this book but eventually I did and it was a great story.
The plot was cute, a super hot guy with lots of magnetism asks Dorcas and Ambrosia to make him "unhot".
The trendy and very sexually active couple grant his wish. Unfortunately, just as he is getting is reprieve and career oriented female shows up to steal him family home. He needs his looks and spark.
Sean manages to gain back his sex appeal and he learns what love is and what is important in life.

There were some
Jenn
Diana
Melissa
Over Hexed is the first in the series about Dorcas and Ambrose who are a witch and wizard. They got sentenced to live in Big Knob and take care of the dragon George. Unknowingly Sean a handsome man that all the women want, goes to them for help on being less attractive to women. After Sean transforms his looks into a loser he meets Maggie. They are both after the same house to buy. Sean wants it because it was his childhood home. Maggie wants it so that she can tear it down and turn the land int ...more
Annabelle Morehouse
Funny and clever! I really enjoyed this light hearted read. Unique and charming.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I never quite understood the overwhelming attraction certain people showed towards other people because it was just so... overwhelming. I do, however, really enjoy Vicki Lewis Thompson's writing, as every book I have read by her has elements of comedy, romance, magic, and a little bit of drama (just enough to make her books have a serious tilt every once in a while). I really liked all the characters I met in this book, even the ones you're probably supposed ...more
Deborah Darsie
Fun characters (Dorcas and Ambrose) who are sent to a small Indiana town with an adolescent dragon who needs to be taken in-hand to perform his duties. This turns out to be a peripheral storyline about the community of people in Big Knob Indiana.

Yes, Big Knob and all those sly analogies and metaphors are explored in (ahem) depth.

A fun, romantic story with a good message - love is not selfish, not to be used to manipulate someone into doing something YOU want. This book also has a range of sexy s
AL
Very light reading, light romance sufficiently entertaining
A.a. Motylinski
This reads like an Oglaf comic strip.
Sam
For a potion/spell that went wrong (A husband wanted a potion to make his wife seem sexy to him in support hose, but he ends up finding every woman in support hose sexy)Dorcas and Ambrose are exiled to Big Knob, Indiana to ensure that George the local dragon behaves and start earning his gold scales. Being Wizard/Witch Matchmakers with no wizards/witches around decide to start their matchmaking business with the locals, enter Sean and Maggie. . . .

This was cute, and a total bubblegum read and w
Cferjani
(blank)
Sheryl
2-1/2 STARS

This book had a really great premise and it started off strong. Then all of a sudden it became "all sex and no story". I read a lot of romances and I like mine with a good storyline. The author definitely let the storyline lag and focused more on lots and lots of sex scenes. If you are looking for a book with lots of steamy sex, then this book might be good for you. However, if you want solid story (with sex on the side), you might want to pass this one up. It was just OK for me.
Courtney
I loved Vicki Lewis Thompson's 'Nerd' Series, so I thought I would give this new series a try. It was very cute! The characters are funny and have their own special quirks. Who wouldn't love a book with matchmaking witches and wizards, a two thousand pound dragon who is supposed to be guarding the forest, and an unsuspecting couple who just might find true love while fighting for the same piece of property? I can't wait to read book two of this series!
Jodi
Anne
I'd recommend this for someone looking to read a bit of humorous PNR fluff. It's not what I would consider hilarious, but I did crack a smile a few times. As long as you're not expecting anything that blows your socks off, this should fit the bill.
I didn't love it, but I did like it enough that I'll probably check out another book in this series.
Res
I used to have a reasonably positive view of Vicki Lewis Thompson back in my category-romance-reading days, but either fandom has raised my standards or she's become so popular she's phoning it in. I'm giving this two stars because the sex is reasonably nice once you get used to her slang choices, but I'm not even going to bother reviewing it because the plot is just silly.
  • Hex Appeal (Hex, #2)
  • Gone with the Witch (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Charmed & Ready (Bronwyn the Witch, #2)
  • Must Love Dragons (Immortally Sexy, #2)
  • A Date with the Other Side (Cuttersville, #1)
  • Witch in the House
  • Sex And The Single Witch
  • What Do You Say to a Naked Elf?
  • Bedlam, Bath & Beyond
  • Ain't Myth-Behaving
  • To Wish or Not to Wish (As You Wish, #3)
  • Dead If I Do (Garnet Lacey, #4)
New York Times and USA Today bestseller Vicki Lewis Thompson believes love makes the world go around and laughter makes the trip worth taking. The recipient of RWA’s Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award and the author of more than ninety books, Vicki pioneered a new kind of romance hero with Nerd in Shining Armor. Following the success of her nerd stories, Vicki launched a boisterous paranormal ...more
More about Vicki Lewis Thompson...

Hex (3 books)
  • Wild & Hexy (Hex, #2)
  • Casual Hex (Hex, #3)
Nerd in Shining Armor (Nerds, #1) A Werewolf in Manhattan (Wild About You, #1) The Nerd Who Loved Me (Nerds, #2) Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3) Blonde with a Wand (Babes on Brooms, #1)