Start by marking “The Supernaturalist” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Chiwetel Ejiofor

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  23,696 Ratings  ·  993 Reviews
When Cosmo Hill attempts to escape from the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys, he discovers a horrifying secret that will force him to question everything he knows and everything he believes in.
Audiobook, 8 pages
Published January 28th 2006 by Listening Library (first published 2004)

Mitchel Broussard
Time to review another oldie:D

This is one of those books that I absolutely LOVE but am terrified to re-read and find out it's not as great as my 12 year old naive mind remembers it.

But, anyway, it is epic, with great stories, lovably mean characters, cool sci fi/cyberpunk elements and an AMAZING finale (it's on this giant floating weather baloon/space station thing, i really dont remember much just that i was drooling all over myself). I swear the first thing i remember thinking upon finishing t
Lisa
May 16, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Supernaturalist is intriguing dystopian science fiction that would appeal to a younger reader or even older readers who aren't looking for a story that's highly sophisticated. Overall, I liked it, although I was dissatisfied with some elements.

British actor Chiwetel Ejiofor (one of my actor crushes) narrates this book very capably, using diverse accents for the characters. I am glad I chose to listen to this even though I have a paper copy. I liked hearing it, which stimulated my imagination
Nikki
The Supernaturalist is very like Artemis Fowl in tone. It's fun and quick, but I didn't get into it as much as Artemis Fowl -- the characters, I guess, are the problem. I liked Stefan, and maybe Ditto, but the others were kinda 'meh'. I didn't get much idea of what drives anyone, apart from Stefan.

Plot-wise, it's okay, but everything feels too easily. The group are too easily tricked, they escape too easily... There are fun ideas in the background, like the paralegals being pretty much like cops
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
Don't hate me, but I had to DNF this book.
For some reason I just couldn't get into the book. I loved the world-building, but I didn't feel a connection with any of the characters at all. I honestly don't know why, I just didn't care. I was just so bored by this book (this small book!). There were plenty of events happening, but since I didn't care about the characters, it didn't interest me.
Sorry guys, maybe I'm just in a weird slump.
Adil
Jun 02, 2009 Adil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9th-grade, advisory
Supernaturalist
Eoin Colfer
272pgs

The SuperNaturalist is an incredibly addicting and interesting book written by Eoin Colfer, a highly respected author who has also written the Artemis Fowl series. Anyway, ths book takes place in the near future where everything is polluted and the world is very technology advanced but very bitter and mean. The story zooms in on the life and times of Cosmo Hill, an orphan living in a facility where children are tested on.

Cosmo's life changes completely wh
Sara ♥
Nov 18, 2008 Sara ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Eoin Colfer fans!
Dec 1, 2009
Eoin Colfer TOTALLY needs to write a sequel! Does he expect me to just keep reading this one over and over again? Really?

Nov 21, 2008
It was cute. I couldn't help but wonder if Eoin was going to write a sequel or not. I don't know that he's planning to, but it would work! It ended really well, and the whole thing was REALLY INTERESTING! And the twists in the plot! This author has a gift! :)
Mimi
Sep 08, 2010 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teenagers
This book gets three stars, because I did like it, but I did not think it was breathtaking or earth shattering. Some of it felt . . . rushed, maybe. I'm not sure. My main question the whole book really doesn't completely relate to the book. The question is why are all of the books that I find to read about future societies always so . . . depressing? Why have we always ruined the planet or had massive nuclear wars or have one unified government and lots of downtrodden, unhappy people? Am I just ...more
M.J.
Oct 30, 2011 M.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Sci-fi to help turn teen reader into an adult reader.

I was torn between 4 and 5 stars, let's call it 4.5; being an author I fully support rounding up.

This book seems to be heavily influenced by Snow Crash (which it just happens I am also reading now)--not the story, just the world. Then again, Snow Crash was influenced by other dystopian novels.

The book is about a band of characters, most teens, who are fighting creatures that only they can see. The MC has just escaped certain death at a l
Carrie Slager
Feb 14, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a book reviewer, I hate to use clichés, but there really is only one word to describe The Supernaturalist: unique. Eoin Colfer’s more famous Artemis Fowl series and even his stand-alone novel, The Wish List have overshadowed his brilliant science fiction novel. Written with the humour and imagination I have come to expect from him, The Supernaturalist is absolutely brilliant.

Cosmo is pretty much your stereotypical protagonist in the beginning, but as the story progresses, he develops at a ver
Martin Patrick
Feb 06, 2012 Martin Patrick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Despite the lack of compelling characters or compelling ideas, I found myself unable to stop reading it until I was done. The ending was a little unsatisfactory though, as the central conflict was resolved, but the peripheral conflict was not and was left wide open.

Characters: Meh. The main character, an orphan, didn't even pull on my heartstrings that much. Maybe I'm a cold-hearted jerk. The dialogue for each character fits with their backstory, but they all talk the same, except for the obviou
Jennifer H
May 01, 2012 Jennifer H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Zandt McCue
Feb 26, 2013 Zandt McCue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book during a huge period of downtime for me where I was devouring books left and right. For whatever reason I just couldn't handle this one. I gave up after a few pages. I made it further in Twilight than this and I'm a huge Eoin Colfer fan. Maybe I'll give it another go, but for those interested on input...I feel like it didn't have the Eoin Colfer feel to it. At least not the beginning.
Peter.b
Oct 23, 2011 Peter.b rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-7th-grade
This book is by the author who created Artemis Fowl, but this book is a different book from the Artemis Fowl books. Nevertheless, this book is a bit similar to the series and has bit of the same action. The main character is different from Artemis who lived in a life of luxary(if you call it luxary), Cosmos grew up in a orphanage, or lets rather say a torture prison. Cosmos was a no-sponser who was left on Cosmosnaut Hill and was sent to Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys b ...more
Maninee
Oct 07, 2010 Maninee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book was good though not really the best of colfer's works. even the wish list was better, here are the reasons why i thought that the book could have been better.:

1) sense of humour(or rather the lack of it): i know that many people will disagree but having read the artemis fowl series and the wish list, i must say that eoin colfer has a much much better a sense of humour. i really miss those witty dialogues that filled every page of the fowl series.

2) the plot: fighting the parasites was
Ave
Jun 18, 2007 Ave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, youth-children
Satellite city is a place in our future it has everything the body needs and nothing what the soul wants. Steel builings, high tec for everything, multibillion corporation terror, polluted air - the list goes on.

The main character is 14 year old Cosmo Hill, named by the place where he was found in, escaped "prisoner" from the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys. Escaped and saved from the blue creatures who seem to be sucking the life out of you by a group called The Supern
Lauren
Sep 16, 2010 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Freshmen in high school and younger (unless you really like sci-fi)

Truly, this was a disappointment to me... while it has gripping action scenes and interesting characters, I expected as much originality from Eoin Colfer's as in his Artemis Fowl series. This book resonated as more of the same disgusting/dark future tale with just a different mystery about it. I think that the major problem I had was that I felt I was just too old for this book when I read it. Thus, I would encourage only people younger than 17yrs to read it.

As I have said, this is your typi
Vojtěch
Oct 03, 2011 Vojtěch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Sci-fi od Colfera je trochu jiný šálek kávy, než na jaký jsem zvyklý. Ale koneckonců se mi to líbilo. Jen mám menší tušení, že mladší čtenáři nebudou mít díky všemožným vědeckým termínům šajn, co v danou chvíli hlavní hrdinové provádí.
Fred Vargus
Apr 09, 2012 Fred Vargus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the New York Times' best selling books, The Supernaturalist, is a very suspenseful and intense book. It was written by one of the New York Times' best selling authors, Eoin Colfer, as well. This fiction book is about a boy in the future named Cosmo Hill, the books main character and protagonist. He grew up in the Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys, Freight class, in Satellite city; a future city that it has everything the body needs and nothing what the soul wants; S ...more
Pedro Rodriguez
Jan 19, 2014 Pedro Rodriguez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eoin Colfer’s The Supernaturalist catches my emotions with its suspension and unique style. In my opinion this book is one of my favorites because of the way the author tells the story in the 3rd person. Also because I just love science fictional novels.

The theme of this book is that friends will always be there for you and to believe in yourself and the ones around you. For example when Stefan had doubts about his friends and his friends still stay with him. It also tells us to never give up ev
Claire
Sep 17, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Eoin Colfer
Sci-Fi
267 pages

The Supernaturalist is a story that takes place in the future and in a city called Satellite City. The city is extremely polluted and it is made completely out of a metal called pig-iron. It is a horrible place to live…if you live in the wrong place. The main character is an orphan named Cosmonaut Hill because that was where he was found as a baby. He lived in Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged, which is a complicated and relativel
Rain (Ivyclad Ideas)
I feel really conflicted about this one. I don't usually like the idea that the future is a terrible place, partly because it's depressing and partly because dystopian fiction couldn't exist without it, but I thought that it was done well in The Supernaturalist. The world-building was incredible. I loved the paralegals, who were somewhere between horrific and hilarious. "There are waivers to be signed," indeed. I also liked the idea of Clarissa Frayne and Cosmo's need to escape from it.

Unfortuna
The Rad Books
Written for theradbooks.blogspot.com
Summary:
This story takes place in the future, in a city called Satellite City. Cosmo Hill, a fourteen-year-old orphan lives at Clarissa Frayne Institute for Parentally Challenged Boys. Here the boys pay their way by assembling things, testing products, really just being a slave. While the boys are being transported back from where they worked that day, Cosmo sees a chance to escape with his friend. After having a near death experience during the escape, Cosmo
Questingforaquest
Jul 16, 2012 Questingforaquest rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Colfer's Artemis Fowl books, so I figured I would like this one too. Not so. Colfer's frankly amazing world-creation skills are still here, but the characters did absolutely nothing for me as a reader. Ditto the Bartoli baby was intriguing, but I felt like he had a lot of backstory that didn't make it into the book--the ending sets up for a sequel that never seems to have been published, thankfully--and I was never sure whether I liked him or not, or even if Colfer wanted me to. Cosmo's ...more
Αναστασία ~ Ουφ θα ξε-σκάσω!
Ο ήρωας μας είναι ο Κόσμο Χιλ οποίος έχει το χάρισμα να βλέπει υπερφυσικά όντα που τρέφονται με τη δύναμη της ζωής των ανθρώπων. Συναντά μια ομάδα εφήβων που έχουν το ίδιο χάρισμα και κυνηγούν καιρό τώρα τα όντα αυτά ώστε να τα εξοντώσουν και να σώσουν την ανθρωπότητα.
Ο Κόσμο εντάσσεται στην ομάδα με την πεποίθηση ότι θα καταφέρει να ανταπεξέλθει, δυστυχώς η φυσική του κατάσταση δεν τον βοηθά όσο χρειάζεται με αποτέλεσμα να αντιμετωπίζει πολλές δυσκολίες.
Οπως κάθε έφηβος έτσι και ο Κόσμο γνωρίζ
Delaney
THE SUPERNATURALIST starts off where Eoin Colfer describes a little about Clarissa Fayne facility and the Satellite City world full of metal and different technology. We get introduced to our protagonist Cosmo who wants to escape from Clarissa Fayne and ends up doing so. Outside, he meets three other people that they call themselves, Supernaturalists who hunt down Parasites, little blue blobs that suck the life out of you.

There is Stefan the team leader who is about 18 years old. He has is own s
Hudson
Aug 29, 2015 Hudson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend The Supernaturalists for ages ten and older. The reason why I wouldn’t recommend this book for nine and younger is because some parts are a little sad and have a deep meaning that younger kids wouldn’t understand. The genre of the book is science fiction but it also action, mystery and more. The setting takes place in a dystopian world that is run by a satellite. The book kept me turning pages because every time they fixed a problem it would lead to another problem. The characters we ...more
SandraP Mouledous
Esta historia va por la onda de la ciencia ficción y nos presenta un futuro tecnológicamente muy avanzado pero bastante retrograda en otros aspectos, como en probar nuevos inventos en niños huérfanos, por ejemplo. Precisamente Cosmo, nuestro protagonista, intenta escapar de un de estos centros de tortura disfrazado de orfanato cuando descubre que hay unos seres azules y gelatinosos que parecen amebas gigantes, quienes ademas se dedican a absorber la energía vital de las personas. Cosmo tendrá ...more
Raina
Jan 22, 2014 Raina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A team of minors hunting down invisible creatures in a dystopian world in a story filled with fun sci-fi technology.

This is pretty much a story before its time.

I booktalked this to middle schoolers (alongside the graphic novel adaptation) in January 2014 and even though it's ten years old, it's taking off in my community.

I remember having trouble following the descriptions of technology and the world over audio, but I imagine reading it with more attention would cover that. There are some very
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Paint by Magic
  • The Reality Bug (Pendragon, #4)
  • Storm Thief
  • The Hork-Bajir Chronicles (Animorphs Chronicles, #2)
  • Truesight (Truesight, #1)
  • Saga (Epic #2)
  • Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles, #2)
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 3
  • Dr. Franklin's Island
  • Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)
  • The Divide (The Divide, #1)
  • Evil Star (The Gatekeepers, #2)
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • Hidden Talents (Talents, #1)
Chiwetelu Umeadi "Chiwetel" Ejiofor is a British actor of stage and screen. He has received numerous acting awards and award nominations, including the 2006 BAFTA Awards Rising Star, three Golden Globe Awards' nominations, and the 2007 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor for his performance in Othello.
More about Chiwetel Ejiofor...

“In comic books, people with gifts became superheroes; in real life they became outcasts.” 6 likes
“Any of these vultures smell weakness, and they’ll mess you up faster than sugar in a gas tank.” 1 likes