Start by marking “Last Train from Cuernavaca” as Want to Read:
Last Train from Cuernavaca

Last Train from Cuernavaca

In the Christmas season of 1913, Grace Knight’s elegant old hotel on Cuernavaca’s main plaza is the place to see and be seen.  Mexico’s landed aristocracy, members of the foreign community, wealthy tourists, and young army officers with their wives flock to the Colonial.  Under the ballroom’s hundreds of twinkling electric lights, they dance to old Spanish tunes and to the ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Last Train from Cuernavaca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Train from Cuernavaca

Tara Chevrestt
I learned alot about the Mexican Revolution throughout the reading of this novel tho it did get a bit confusing at times. There are at least two different groups of revolutionary farmers, a group of federales, a group of renegade federales, and then some bandits thrown in here and there and after a while, I couldn't tell who was killing, looting and raping who. After a while, I started to feel every single group was in the wrong, but I did like Angela aka Angel, a woman that dons a pair of pants ...more
Rebecca Huston
A fairly interesting historical novel set in and around Cuernavaca and Mexico City during the early twentieth century. Three major characters and a beliveable romance that actually is romantic. Plenty of adventure, and try not to read the author's note until you finish the novel itself, it's worth it. Four stars overall, despite the simplistic writing style. Recommended, and my entry for Mexico in the around the world challenge.

For the longer review, please go here:
Anne Schroeder
Nov 05, 2011 Anne Schroeder rated it it was amazing
Nobody does historical fiction like Lucia. Her metaphors and similes are guaranteed to bring a smile when they spread across the page smoother than a whore's patooty. No, she does it better. The story unfolds in slow, gentle increments that don't sacrifice romance for action, but paces each so that each is integral. Lots of vivid detail about flora and fauna until I feel like I'm there. No stereotypes, no quick solutions, just careful pacing and tight historical facts that let me know I was read ...more
Michele
Mar 05, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2013
Well, this book didn't go where I wanted it to go. The romance was too easy. I was going to give it a lukewarm review but guess what?
I was reading the last 20 pages on vacation in Idaho. I was impressed that the minute I picked it up, I felt like I was right back in Mexico. I think I may have been. As I was wrapping up, my nephew came up to me and said, "How do you stay so calm?" I asked him what he was talking about. (It's not hard to stay calm while reading a book.)
He said, "Didn't you see the
Katherine
Oct 25, 2011 Katherine rated it it was ok
A fairly formulatic story, however, it is based on the true story of two women during the Mexican revolution, an English woman who owns a hotel in Cuernavaca and the daughter of a Spanish-Mexican and Indian woman from a middle class family who fights as a man leading a guerilla ban fighting with Zapata. Lots of love interests. The setting and history made it worth a quick read. (@Cynthia I picked this up because of Cuernavaca in the title)
Brad Hodges
Mar 20, 2012 Brad Hodges rated it it was ok
Last Train From Cuernavaca won the Spur Award, awarded by the Western Writers of America. This is notable because the novel does not spend one moment in any part of what would become the United States, and it takes place in 1913, the last gasp of what would generally be considered the Old West. Most notably, the book really isn't that good.

Set during the bloody Mexican revolution, Lucia St. Clair Robson would seem to have researched her topic well. I'm no expert, so I don't know if everything is
Kaye
May 10, 2010 Kaye rated it really liked it
Set against the backdrop of the Mexican revolution, Last Train from Cuernavaca, is the story of two very different women, the men they love and their deep feelings for Mexico: Grace Knight, a widowed British ex-patriot, has fallen for Captain Federico Martín while he was billeted in her Hotel Colonial where the Mexican elite and foreigners meet and mingle and sixteen year old Angel Sanchez whose intrepid nature and love for Antonio has led her to join the rebel forces of Emiliano Zapata.

At a pi
Nicole Bates
Sep 26, 2012 Nicole Bates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucia St. Clair Robson has long been one of my favorite authors. I read historical fiction almost exclusively in middle school and high school, and her novels Ride the Wind, The Tokaido Road, Light a Distant Fire, and Walk in My Soul are treasures in my vast book collection. It was so much fun to curl up with a bit of my past for a few nights as I enjoyed Ms. Robson’s most recent novel.

Last Train From Cuernavaca is a light read full of great characters and fascinating historical detail. Robson w
Jul 02, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
As an historical novel, this doesn't deliver much in the way of actual history. It is historical in the sense that the locations and many of the major players are historical. Otherwise it's about as historical to the Mexican Revolution as Gone With the Wind is to the American Civil War (though perhaps not as epic). Really, it's a pretty high quality historical romance. It's well written and full of adventure and drama. Last Train from Cuernavaca is a love story in a war setting. The main love st ...more
Beth Yeary
A fictional historal romance that covered two romances, put a revolution. What amazed me wasn't so much the romance, or the violance, but it seemed that everyone changed sides at least once.Both sides of the war seemed hell bent of destroying their own country. I felt sorry for the Mexican people who were forced out of their homes, and forced to fight for whichever side happened to take over their villiage.
Diane
Jan 17, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
When I'm travelling I like to read fiction set in the place I am visting and this winter it's Mexico. This work of historical fiction is an well-told tale set during the Mexican Revolution in and near the city of Cuernavaca, 85 kilometres south of Mexico City. There is a nice romatic angle as well as the horrors of armed conflict. Highly recommended.
Gerald Camp
Jun 02, 2010 Gerald Camp rated it really liked it
Good historical novel. Shows the Zapatista aspect of the Mexican Revolution from the inside: both from the point of view of the peasants who supported Zapata and from the view of a wealthy British widow who owns the best hotel in Cuernavaca and who fears the Zapatistas and falls in love with a Federale officer. Reads like a movie: a good movie.
Rainbowsoup
Jun 10, 2010 Rainbowsoup rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance readers
Recommended to Rainbowsoup by: Won It!
Lucia Robson’s latest historical novel Last Train to Cuernavaca is entertaining and fast paced! The human tragedy and the heinous political unrest of the Mexican Revolution is reflected in the lives of two young beautiful women, English and Mexican. This action packed adventure is filled with heroes, soldiers, battles, conflict, allegiance and romance. Definitely a great read!
Kathleen Wells
Feb 01, 2012 Kathleen Wells rated it really liked it
Loved this book! It's a historical novel that takes place during 1913 in Mexico. A little bit unbelievable in some places, but a good story about how hard it is to tell who are the "good guys" and who are the "bad guys." With a nice love story, too.
Tracy
Oct 05, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it
Good story but I had a hard time investing in the characters for some reason.
Terry Ehle
May 26, 2014 Terry Ehle rated it really liked it
HAD to finish it..
Cynthia
Nov 02, 2011 Cynthia rated it liked it
Interesting historical novel in what I consider my hometown. Learned a lot and specially about to actual women who I never heard about before.
Heidi
Jul 29, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
I enjoyed this book. I would have liked a bit more history or back story. some was explained in the afterward.
Teena
Jun 12, 2010 Teena rated it really liked it
Historical novel based on events and people of the Mexican Revolution at the turn of the century 1900. Fast read, well written and quite interesting. Will keep your attention to the end.
Natalie Bright
Feb 06, 2012 Natalie Bright rated it it was amazing
Historical detail by this author totally blows me away, which allows you to become totally immersed in the time period. Great cast of characters too.
Eric Wright
A fairly good romance set in Mexico during a time of revolutions.
Gillian
Dec 27, 2016 Gillian rated it really liked it
I loved reading a historical novel set in Cuernavaca, since I have been there several times. The details were great, and it was romantic.
Emmie
Emmie rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Linda Brunner
Linda Brunner rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Shea
Shea rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2011
Bookgirl
Bookgirl rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Kristi Hanson
Kristi Hanson rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Anne Angle
Anne Angle rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Portable Greek Reader
  • Sand in My Eyes
  • The World Before Her
  • An Unreasonable Woman: A True Story of Shrimpers, Politicos, Polluters, and the Fight for Seadrift, Texas
  • Recuento De Poemas, 1950-93
  • The Oppermanns
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • The Heart Specialist
  • Csardas
  • The Lost and Forgotten Languages of Shanghai
  • Sabrina (Sunfire, #17)
  • Point Dume
  • Mourning Doves and other stories.
  • An Inconvenient Reality
  • Awaken My Heart
  • The Mayfair Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #8)
  • A River Town
  • Men Speak Out: Views on Gender, Sex, and Power
Lucia St. Clair Robson has been a Peace Corps Volunteer, a teacher and a librarian. Her first historical novel, RIDE THE WIND, appeared on the New York Times best seller list, and in 1983 received the Golden Spur Award from the Western Writers of America. Since then she has written seven more novels set in a variety of times and places. Kirkus Reviews wrote, "Few novelists working today have a bet ...more
More about Lucia St. Clair Robson...