Start by marking “Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury” as Want to Read:
Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury

Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury

Brilliant, witty, perceptive essays about fly-fishing, the natural world, and life in general by the acknowledged master of fishing writers.

Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders collects forty of John Gierach’s finest essays on fishing from six of his books. Like all his writing, these essays are seasoned by a keen sense of observation and a deep knowledge and love of fishing lor
Published February 21st 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders

Jared
That son of a bitch Gierach. He just gives me a way to think about fishing when I'm not fishing. I'm addicted, and after finishing this giant "treasury" of his best stories, I'm not sure what to read this off season. Obviously his stories are witty, funny, and reveal not only why so many of us fish, but so much more. As an avid outdoorsman, a little off center, fiercely independent, and relationship failure, he is kind of my hero. Reading his stories also feels like you are getting some insider ...more
H R Koelling
May 27, 2012 H R Koelling rated it really liked it
There were some great essays in this book. It was a wonderful introduction to John Gierach, whom I've never even heard of before. I thought he came across as a bit grumpy in some of these essays though. I prefer the more upbeat fishing essays of Nick Lyons.

I started reading this book right before I joined a bunch of friends on our yearly fishing trip to the Deschutes River. It really got me in the spirit of fishing after the long Winter.

The range of fishing locations and experiences he writes a
Jim
Mar 22, 2011 Jim rated it liked it
I like Mr. Gierach's writing, but I don't like it a whole lot. Well, I guess I like it enough to go and buy another of his books, "Fool's Paradise", which I just downloaded.

This book is a series of essays about all things having to do with fly fishing for trout, and some things not, such as fly fishing for carp. One of my least favorite chapters is the one he drew from his dictation into a digital voice recorder-little pocket device that will carry about 31 hours of dictation. I keep one in my
Doug E.
Jan 22, 2008 Doug E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it so much that I bought it for my dad. We fished together a lot when I was younger and I know that his father, who I never really got to know, was also a pretty enthusiastic fisherman. About 2 years ago dad and I stepped our game up a little and took up fly fishing. When I gave him the book I told him he should keep it in the glovebox and go read it whenever he gets too embarrassed by the fact that I'm catching more fish than him.
Ben
Apr 13, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I just re-read this anthology of short stories by John Gierach, one of my favorite authors. He writes mostly about fly-fishing, but like all good outdoor writing that's just a launch pad for delving into the real existential questions that pop into our heads when we're onstream, on the road, on the trail, or sitting inside snowbound dreaming of the sun. Great stuff.
Andy Harmon
Jan 24, 2008 Andy Harmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Gierach is a trout bum, philosopher, and writer. His simple, humorous style is exactly what you would expect from a fly fisherman from the small town of Lyons, Colorado. Somehow Gierach always finds a way to weave his hilarious comments on the human condition into essays on nature and fly fishing.
Dad Manseau
Apr 07, 2008 Dad Manseau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for anyone who has ever wet a flyline.While reading, I felt as if I was standing in a river watching big trout sip mayflies from the surface film. A must read for all you Trout Bums (or want to be Trout Bums) out there.
Tyler Minix
May 20, 2014 Tyler Minix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd always wanted to try fly fishing, but this book was the main reason I decided to go ahead and give it a go. I'm glad I did.
Coleman
Aug 06, 2008 Coleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only 80 pages in and one of my favorite books. In just a few short paragraphs I'm transfered from the bothers of life to a flowing river with a fly rod in hand.
Jeb Harrison
This is the quintessential collection from one of the great fishing essayists of all time. Even the non-fisherman will enjoy Gierach's easily digestible storytelling style.
Ron Patch
Jan 10, 2014 Ron Patch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic.
Ryan Chin
Jul 24, 2012 Ryan Chin rated it it was amazing
The thing about Gierach is you can pick up one of his books and start just about anywhere and be entertained. It's like running into a classic old geezer on the stream and having a few laughs.
Phillip
Apr 20, 2013 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SI is right. Gierach is the Mark Twain of fly fishing writing.
R.E. Long
Oct 12, 2011 R.E. Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing bad about John Geirach books, is you end up reading them too fast. Leaving you wanted the "next" story.
Tony Dincau
Jun 06, 2016 Tony Dincau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written, witty and yet down to earth.
Allyn
Sep 15, 2010 Allyn rated it it was amazing
This is the book I reread when I have nothing to read. I also read it on business trips instead of watching TV in the hotel. It is almost as good as being on the water.
Steve Minch
Steve Minch rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Adam Kautza
Adam Kautza rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Jonathan Milton
Jonathan Milton rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Timtwombly
Timtwombly rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Shawn David
Shawn David rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2011
Rjj
Rjj rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2009
Zach Matthews
Zach Matthews rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2011
Andy
Andy rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2007
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Matt Martin
Matt Martin rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Lonejeeper
Lonejeeper rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2010
Carlotta
Carlotta rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
  • The Longest Silence: A Life In Fishing
  • The Compleat Angler, or the Contemplative Man's Recreation
  • The Earth Is Enough: Growing Up in a World of Flyfishing, Trout & Old Men
  • I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Photography, and Fly-Fishing
  • Hemingway on Fishing
  • An Entirely Synthetic Fish: How Rainbow Trout Beguiled America and Overran the World
  • Lewis and Clark Through Indian Eyes: Nine Indian Writers on the Legacy of the Expedition
  • Hole in the Sky: A Memoir
  • Trask
  • Sand: The Never-Ending Story
  • The River Why
  • Where Rivers Change Direction
  • The Nail Knot (Fly Fishing Mysteries #1)
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty & Wilderness Journals
  • Planet Google: One Company's Audacious Plan To Organize Everything We Know
  • Cache Lake Country: Life in the North Woods
  • The Movement and the Sixties

“Sure, it was your idea and your fly, but he caught the big fish. Remember, fairness is a human idea largely unknown in nature.” 26 likes
“And never fall into that statistical macho trap that’s so prevalent in fly-fishing these days. If you keep score, you can be beaten, but if you refuse to compete you can leave the impression that you have long since risen above that kind of crap. When someone says to you, “I caught forty-eight trout and ten of them were twenty inches or better. How’d you do?” say, “Yeah, we got some. Couple nice ones, too.” 0 likes