Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury

Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders collects forty of John Gierach's finest essays on fishing from six of his books. Like all his writing, these essays are seasoned by a keen sense of observation and a deep knowledge and love of fishing lore, leavened by a wonderfully wry sense of humor. Gierach often begins with an observation that soon leads to something below the surface, wh...more
Published February 21st 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published June 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders

H R Koelling
There were some great essays in this book. It was a wonderful introduction to John Gierach, whom I've never even heard of before. I thought he came across as a bit grumpy in some of these essays though. I prefer the more upbeat fishing essays of Nick Lyons.

I started reading this book right before I joined a bunch of friends on our yearly fishing trip to the Deschutes River. It really got me in the spirit of fishing after the long Winter.

The range of fishing locations and experiences he writes a...more
Jim
I like Mr. Gierach's writing, but I don't like it a whole lot. Well, I guess I like it enough to go and buy another of his books, "Fool's Paradise", which I just downloaded.

This book is a series of essays about all things having to do with fly fishing for trout, and some things not, such as fly fishing for carp. One of my least favorite chapters is the one he drew from his dictation into a digital voice recorder-little pocket device that will carry about 31 hours of dictation. I keep one in my...more
Ryan Chin
The thing about Gierach is you can pick up one of his books and start just about anywhere and be entertained. It's like running into a classic old geezer on the stream and having a few laughs.
Allyn
This is the book I reread when I have nothing to read. I also read it on business trips instead of watching TV in the hotel. It is almost as good as being on the water.
Jamey Jones
Jamey Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Ted Ryan
Ted Ryan is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
Steve Saunders
Steve Saunders marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Gdeguzman
Gdeguzman marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Gary B
Gary B marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Trout Bum Sex, Death, and Fly-Fishing Standing in a River Waving a Stick Death, Taxes, and Leaky Waders: A John Gierach Fly-Fishing Treasury Fool's Paradise