Tuesday Tells it Slant

Tuesday Tells it Slant

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Tuesday Morning has always been a little different. She's kept a diary since 1989 and while researching for her English Lit thesis in 2003 on Emily Dickinson's transcendental tendencies, finds a poem that will change her life. Haunted by a past that she considers less than desirable, Tuesday recreates her history with the stroke of a pen. Page by page, year by year, she re...more
Published January 15th 2010 by Create Space

To ask other readers questions about Tuesday Tells it Slant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tuesday Tells it Slant

Angelc
I don't think I "got" this book. There was so much flipping back and forth in time, it was really difficult to keep up with what time period I was reading about. I like to read to relax, and I was stressed out while reading this, trying to keep track of what year I was reading about. There are multiple years and ages that the story is told from, Tuesday and her twin Monday as a child, a middle school-er, a teen, and adult. There are many years to keep track of, including 1988, 1990, 1996, 2000,...more
Misty Baker
I didn’t actually plan on writing this review until Friday, but as I rounded the last 2% percent of this artfully crafted novel, my need to immediately put my thoughts to paper was almost overwhelming.

I have never encountered a book that embodied my personality more than “Tuesday Tells it Slant.” Lets just say, for all intents and purposes…that I am in fact Tuesday. (p.s. Tuesday is a name, not a weekday reference)

1. She is a book reviewer who has absolutely no problem telling someone that their...more
Cindy
This was one of the most unusual books that I have read in a long time. We learn about the life of Tuesday Morning through her diary entries and third person narrative. The story flips back and forth from her early school years to high school to Tuesday's first job to her present life. I liked the way the author would first have you read a diary entry and then the follow with a story that lead up to the what we learned in the diary. I would like to read another book by this new author.
ARNE BUE
I cared for this character, Tuesday, and admired the creative writing. I recommend this read.
Cinnamon
Diary entries and passages from poems in TUESDAY TELLS IT SLANT by Holly Christine tell the story of Tuesday, a young woman with a desperate desire to change her past. Bullied throughout her childhood by ex-friends and plagued by poor self-esteem, Tuesday had to fight to find happiness while growing up. When trauma hits, Tuesday has to find a way to regain control of her life and create happiness where none existed before.

In the movie 13 Going On 30, our heroine made a wish as a young girl to be...more
From My Blog...[return][return]Tuesday Tells It Slant by Holly Christie is a fun, intriguing, and philosophical novel told in through the voice of Tuesday Morning, past journal entries and pieces of poetry by Emily Dickinson. The reader learns how Tuesday became employed at The End as a book reviewer and when she is fired, the reader gets an even closer at Tuesday’s past, her family life and is ultimately brought to present day. Christie creates a wonderful protagonist in Tuesday and through her...more
Bookworm
Tuesday Tells it Slant is mostly written in the form of diary entries that vary from past to present time.
Monday and Tuesday Morning are twins. Tuesday's mother gave her a journal when she was a little girl and told her to name it, so each entry begins with 'Dear Claudia'.
Tuesday's journal entries are about her life from grade school into her twenties. She works as a book reviewer and editor at a literary magazine called The End.
I liked the relationships within the book. Tuesday and her sister...more
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Every so often you stumble upon a book, by chance, which is just a little bit different then the rest. A book in which the author presents his/herself with a unique style where no other writer has yet ventured to go before - uncharted territory. Holly Christine's "Tuesday Tells it Slant" is one of those types of books.

Its strangely hypnotic power begins with the first line, "Isn't it funny how we sometimes forget the things we thought we'd never lose?". As the reader negotiates through the book...more
Heidi
I really enjoy books that have diary entries or letters to other characters, so I immediately liked this book. At times it was difficult to follow, but that almost made the story more intriguing and then made sense as the reader discovers more at the end. As the story jumps around between younger and older Tuesday, it is almost as if she is rediscovering herself through new experiences and memories. Because I have two sisters I am often touched by stories with sisters so the relationship between...more
Adina
I won an autographed copy of this book on Goodreads.com.

I enjoyed this book in the beginning because the main character is nearly my age. I understood the pop culture references from her childhood, and it made it a bit easier to relate to her. Unfortunately, as the book went on, I lost interest in where the story was going. Perhaps it was just a bit too philosophical for my mood, but I really didn't feel the numbness or subsequent pain and reawakening that she did. I think, overall, the book was...more
Sharon
Holly Christine's "Tuesday Tells it Slant" is an entertaining and philosophical story. Her protagonist, Tuesday Morning, is revealed through diary entries, third person chapters, and the poetry of Emily Dickinson.

Through Christine's clever and engaging prose, we see Tuesday grow up, have love affairs, find and lose jobs ... the sorts of things that everyone experiences. However, there are some completely unexpected twists and turns to the story that keep the reader turning pages and wondering wh...more
☮Karen
This is not a book I would have chosen for myself, but not a bad read overall. I wasn't so much bothered by the jumping around between several years and places as I was by the characters' names. Yes, it's possible someone with the last name of Morning would really go with the names Monday and Tuesday Morning for their twin girls, but that just irritates me to no end. I think otherwise it would be 4 stars as once the storyline grabbed hold, I wanted to know what happens next and I never saw that...more
My Book Views
The title is actually a sentence and pretty much sums up the story: Tuesday has lived a slanted reality ever since a traumatic event (to say what would be a spoiler). Doing so has prevented her from being close to the ones who truly care about her. Tuesday isolates herself while maintaining a false reality of reasons for not being in touch with her family and a long-time friend. Christine did an excellent job with this book.
Mikie
I won this books in a First Reads giveaway. Who hasn't wanted reinvent our high school years? After a traumatic event in her life, Tuesday Morning re-writes history as she cleanses her diary. The story moves in flashbacks and forwards as you read the diary entries that made the cut and then the actual event that led up to the entry. Great plot twists and storyline.
Carrie
I won this from a First Reads contest here on Goodreads.

This book took a little bit for me to get used to the style, in which it jumps back and forth between time frames, but once I grasped it, I loved it. The characters were outstanding, and it was such a unique story! I could barely put the book down, and when I was finished, I wished for more. Excellent book!
Kim Zarkin
I can't say I enjoyed this book. I liked Tuesday, the main character. And I like the author's voice. But the book jumps around in time so much, it was sometimes hard to follow. I get that this was a metaphor about putting the pieces of her life back together. But that didn't make it any less confusing. In the end, I wouldn't recommend the book.
Debra
At first I found this book hard to read but once I got used to her style of writing I started to like it more. It can be somewhat difficult to follow since it jumps around chronologically and part of the story is her diary. I probably would rate it 3 and 1/2 stars. The concept of the book is very creative.
Sandy Bell
A fairytale. The glass slipper of tragedy brings home the prince charming. Yet, it is more than that; it is a story full of good and evil, lust and romance, love and hate, and truth and lies. A must read!
Anne
This was a very enjoyable read, I loved the charater of Tuesday. I liked the way this book was written as well as the style that Holly Christine used.
I will probably read this book again.
Linda Welch
An entertaining story with depth and a few surprises. It zips back and forth in time so pay attention to the preceding dates. I hope Holly Christine has another book in the works.
Nicole
Jul 08, 2010 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Great use of the unreliable narrator.
Jodi Lockhart
Jodi Lockhart marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
Phylicia
Phylicia marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Qzzy
Qzzy added it
Nov 30, 2012
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2012
Dottiebears
Dottiebears marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Holly Christine is the author of The Nine Lives of Clemenza and Tuesday Tells it Slant. She resides in Pittsburgh and is co-creator of the Pittsburgh South Writers Group.
More about Holly Christine...
The Nine Lives of Clemenza Retail Ready