Start by marking “Remembrances and Celebrations: A Book of Eulogies, Elegies, Letters, and Epitaphs” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  10 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
This is a collection of powerful and inspirational responses to loss and to the age-old impulse to honor and memorialize the uniqueness of each human being.

For the bereaved, the ritual of delivering a eulogy can seem insurmountably difficult. Remembrances and Celebrations provides gentle guidance in this profoundly important task, with a wide range of examples of memorial
Published May 18th 1999 by Pantheon (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Remembrances and Celebrations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembrances and Celebrations

dirt
Jan 08, 2013 dirt marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-finish
I can't for the life of me remember why I put this book on hold at the library, but I have it now. At first I was reluctant to read Remembrances and Celebrations because I have so many other books piling up and the topic of death can be a bummer, but I am glad I cracked it open.

The first Eulogy for T.S. Eliot is fantastic and I can only hope someone will say such kind words about me when I die. Wallace Stegner's eulogy for his mother captures the way many people must feel after losing a parent,
Metagion
Jul 24, 2014 Metagion rated it really liked it
Wonderful, thoughtful book on the letters, eulogies and epitaphs of various figures throughout history, like W.H. Auden, Abraham Lincoln and Charlotte Brontë. I think it could've been great if they had a section dealing with today's funerals & memorial services and what to say, with condolence letters for religious/secular ceremonies and loved ones or associates. Good resource though.
Vena
Vena rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Neel Madhvani
Neel Madhvani rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2011
Justwinter
Justwinter rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Weeza
Weeza rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Joni S
Joni S rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2012
Jeanne
Jeanne added it
Apr 17, 2010
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2010
Natski
Natski marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
Libby Ford
Libby Ford marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Amanda Norwood
Amanda Norwood marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Tiffany T
Tiffany T marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
David Bridgeman
David Bridgeman marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016