Start by marking “Eating Royally: Recipes and Remembrances from a Palace Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Eating Royally: Recipes and Remembrances from a Palace Kitchen

Eating Royally: Recipes and Remembrances from a Palace Kitchen

Meals and memories from Princess Diana's personal chef.

All families have their favorite foods?including the House of Windsor. Darren McGrady, personal chef to Princess Diana and chef to the royal family for fifteen years, has collected more than 100 recipes in Eating Royally and behind-the-scenes stories that offer insight into the royal family's lives.

From hearty cooking
Published July 10th 2007 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Eating Royally, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Royally

Kate
Darren McGrady began working for the Royal Family as a pastry chef and quickly moved up the ranks to serve as Diana's personal chef until her death in 1997. Here he presents many of the recipes he served the Royals, and Diana in particular. Filled with artifacts, personal notes, photographs and never-before-seen memorabilia, this is much more than a cookbook. It is an opportunity to see how the Royals really live and to eat the exact recipes that graced the tables of Windsor, Balmoral, Kensingto ...more
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
If you want to know what the Queen eats or what Princess Diana ate this is the book for you. It was written by one of the royal chefs who then went to work as the private chef of Princess Diana.

The book is broken down into 7 chapters: The Royal Year, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, HMY Britannia, Balmoral Castle, Ssandringham House, & Kensington Palace.

Recipes include, but are not limited to: earl Grey Tea Cake, Herbed Crepes w/ Goat Cheese & Honeyed Salmon, Raspberry Tartlets, Beef W
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I really liked this cookbook. His stories from the kitchens of the various palaces and castles that the royal family lived in is very interesting. I was surprised to learn they eat so much of what's grown on their own land from fruit, vegetables, to dairy and game meat.

I have two problems with this cookbook. I have a first edition so possibly, hopefully, they are corrected in later editions. On page 64 is a recipe for Pommes Fondantes. Only half of the instructions are printed, they left half o
Lisa
Feb 04, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: wackynonfiction
The concept of the book is good. And despite the silly title and a few typos in the cookbook, I enjoyed it.

Darren McGrady was a cook and pastry chef for the British royal family, soon after Princess Di married Charles. Before her death, he was Princess Di's personal Chef. Besides recipes (of things I don't think I'd ever cook) of royal favorite dishes, there's a lot of ancedotal information pertaining to eating at different royal castles and homes. Those inset bits of information were chock-ful
Ginnie Grant
Jul 23, 2014 Ginnie Grant rated it really liked it
This book was visually stunning and so well written. what very pleasantly surprised me was, even though the dishes listed were the favorites of royalty, they were really simple dishes just made well with fresh Ingriedients. The remembrances made me smile. It was obvious By the way darren speaks of Princess Diana and by the notes she left for him often, that he was just not "the help" to her but a friend too. The mark of a great leader is how they treat their "Inferiors" and Diana treated everyon ...more
Pamela Foster
Jun 14, 2012 Pamela Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who wouldn't want to know what the Queen eats? This is a great book written by a former Palace chef who started out peeling carrots for the Queen's horses and graduated to Princess Diana's personal chef before she died. Interesting anecdotes about the Royal Family, their palaces and their favorit recipes.
More of my review on my blog Downton Abbey Cooks: http://wp.me/p27trL-S3 and http://wp.me/p27trL-SM.
Lena
Dec 18, 2010 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed reading this book. However, as good as the recipes sounded, this does not seem to be family fare for North America. And I would have liked a few more personal remembrances of royal events from the author. Still, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys cooking or reading about chefs.
Jessica
Dec 06, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Of course some of these recipes are very fancy and require several unusual and unique ingredients. But, quite a few are simple enough you could make for a small party, etc. The ones I have made were all very tasty! I also love pd the little royal stories scattered throughout the book!
Susan O'brien
Jul 05, 2012 Susan O'brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been asked to make the Chocolate Biscuit Cake - Prince William's Groom Cake. The recipe looks easy, peasy. Hope it tastes as good as it looks. This is a beautiful cookbook with lots of nice stories of the royal family including Princess Diana.
Kelli Oliver George
Jul 07, 2015 Kelli Oliver George rated it really liked it
Fun book and a quick read. This was not a gossipy "tell-all" and instead, The author presented a simple, unique look into the Royal family's life without seeming like a cloying "hanger-on". He was the chef, that was all.
Jackie
May 11, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book about the royals especially Princess Diana. Some of the recipes were too British for my taste. And of course the recipes I would be interesting in trying contain ingredients that would be hard to find in the US.
Ann Clay

Makes me glad I don't live like that. Interesting recipes that have been Americanized to make them easy to
recreate stateside. Too rich, most of them. Some totally disgusting liked Eggs Drumkilbo!
Deni Johansson
Sep 09, 2010 Deni Johansson rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! If you love reading about the Royals, this book is a great read; the chef tells of his life cooking for them (while Princess Diana was alive), and as a bonus, you get recipes!
Debbie's Book Vlog
Sep 21, 2016 Debbie's Book Vlog rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading about his life with the Royal Family and have tried many of the recipes.
Beret Brenckman
Aug 11, 2016 Beret Brenckman rated it liked it
too much Princess Diana name dropping
Katherine
Feb 22, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it
Pleasant stories about cooking for the royal family, and there are some recipes I want to try. Entertaining.
E
Feb 11, 2011 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious stories of Lady Di in the Royal Kitchen (and recipies.) Mom - thanks for giving me this one yr. ago - perfect for the upcoming Royal Wedding Party!
Rubywolf
Mar 13, 2014 Rubywolf rated it it was amazing
I read this a little over a year ago. I loved the little stories and anecdotes, and two or three of my new favorite recipes came from here. (Seriously, make the Gaelic steak.)
Annie
Feb 16, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing
I always love Princess Di. Love the pictures and looking forward to try out some recipes!
Elaine
Jun 05, 2010 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Since I'm not really a cook--although I do see some recipes I might be able to made--I'm really enjoyed the stories of the goings on behind the scenes of royal life.
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Patricia Randolph
Patricia Randolph rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Jacki Gansch
Jacki Gansch rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Beth Harbaugh
Beth Harbaugh rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Barry Axtell
Barry Axtell rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015