Becoming Scarlett

Becoming Scarlett

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Meet Scarlett O’Hara. In her life, everything goes according to plan. Until now . . . Now, Scarlett is back in her childhood home with her plan in tatters and a baby on the way, while John Smith – actuary, proper grown-up and Scarlett’s boyfriend – has left her to join an archaeological dig in a tiny village somewhere in Brazil. But that’s not the worst bit. The worst bit...more
Paperback
Published March 20th 2010 by Hodder & Stoughton Canada (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Scarlett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Scarlett

Amanda
Okay, so, I think I have put down only one or two books - most books I try hard to push on to the end, just in case. And Becoming Scarlett justified my decision to do that. The first half was difficult, I didn't bond with Scarlett and I found it a rather prickly read. By the end I was gulping down every page and just loving it. The humour that surprised me into snorts of laughter, the descriptions of Ellen and Scarlett's love for her that brought tears to my eyes, the perfection of the ending, w...more
Blair
It's a nice read but I knew everything before any of it happened so it didn't really hold any surprise elements for me. Loveable characters and a sweet ending.
Fabian Davy
Being my first chick-lit book, I don't know at first how I would rate this. There was a bombardment of 'heavy' reading in my part: of thrillers, horrors and in-depth historical fiction. I was somehow a bit disappointed by the rather 'mundane' flow and lack of serious plot. "Would give it nothing more than a 4 Stars rating" I told myself.

Then, came the typical Good Ending - which surprised me because the majority of books that I've read lack this stuff (modern writings I guess). It was good enoug...more
Juliane
Der zweite Roman, den ich von Ciara Geraghty gelesen habe. Nach Saving Grace waren die Erwartungen extrem hoch und leider wurden sie nicht komplett erfüllt (aber nahezu).
Bei "Becoming Scarlett" (bzw. Und plötzlich ist es Glück) beginnt die Geschichte zäh. Es dauert gut 100 Seiten bis man im Fluss ist und Scarlett richtig ins Herz geschlossen hat. Dann geht es in typischer Ciara Geraghty Manier weiter: Lustig, ironisch, auch mal meloncholisch. Scarlett passieren lustige Dinge, ohne dass sie geste...more
Sam Still Reading
Jul 10, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Irish chick lit lovers
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read author's previous book
Earlier this year, I read Saving Grace by the same author and found it a simply lovely read, chick lit with a bit of substance. So, in a book buying slump, I picked this up for a little light reading. I think Becoming Scarlett would be a great movie- it’s full of implausible coincidences, wacky humour and engaging characters.

Scarlett O’Hara (yes, really) is the daughter of Irish film star Declan O’Hara and a habitual list maker who is one of the best wedding planners in Dublin. She finds out tha...more
Fiona
Scarlett has her dream job, a wedding planner in a busy company , her five year plan is mapped out until her long term boyfriend John ups and leaves her to go to Brazil. Now not able to sleep and feeling like her life is in tatters her plan is messed up...even more so when she discovers she is pregnant. The small fly in the ointment is the one night stand she has with Red, a barman she met while drowning her sorrows. A baby will cause too much disruption and uncertainty ...won't it?
Started off s...more
Kamilla
I'm Finally finished. I never thought it would end. All the talk about the pregnancy and having the baby and all drove me over the edge. Maybe it was the wrong time for me to read it is all I can say to defend my reaction to it. She, the writer, is at times good at writing and catches the reader but take away about 100-150 pages about the pregnancy and give it some more happy/crazy thoughts and comments and it might have been better. The thing with all the help-yourself-books is fun. The charact...more
Chanpreet
Scarlett O'Hara is 35 years old and a wedding planner who is great at her job. She is the daughter of two actors, and has basically raised herself on her own, with some help form Phyllis, the O'Hara's housekeeper. Scarlett is always punctual, if not early and has her life planned out. She's great at what she does and has a great boyfriend, John. They are very similar. So when John says he's leaving to go buid villages in Brazil and doesn't ask her to go with him, Scarlett lets him go with out a...more
Jacqueline
Not as good as 'Saving Grace', but better than your average chick lit. Would have been four stars but for the constant and frankly irritating attempts to be funny that started to wear long before the end of the second chapter. A shame as there were quite a few laugh out loud incidents, but they were overshadowed by daft coincidences and a constant flow of asides describing 'funny' character quirks that you rarely saw the character actually do, making it all feel rather contrived and trying too h...more
Ita Ryan
A fun book. Ciara's characters are entertaining, and the heroine is likeable. Brightened up my day and helped with my flu.
Olga Browne
So cheesy, tedious & obvious ..
Kate
Nice read for days that are too warm to think.
Don't get me wrong, I liked parts of this novel, they even made me laugh, but most of the time the dialogues were just too silly for me to laugh.
I liked the characters, they were easy to like, and the language fit the plot perfectly.

It was definitely intersting to read about a planning addicted wedding planner whose plans were destroyed by one night, but it just wasn't my taste in books.
but I'm interested in the first book written by this author.
Emily
I read few "chick lit" so am no expert in the genre, but found this one pleasingly more substantial than those I've read before. The characters were fun, and there was some sadness amongst the "froth". I would recommend it to those who are fans of "chick lit" and those wanting to dip their toe into the the genre.
Wonderful chick lit - really entertaining writer. This is the second one of hers I've read and I'm going to look for her third book at the library. Why have in ever heard of Ciara Geraghty before? Her Australian promotions team need to work harder!
Janet
I really enjoyed Becoming Scarlett! Light holiday read. I did relate to Charlotte's relationship with Ellen. Definitely a wonderful realisation of motherhood and becoming exactly who you are meant to be.
Aileen
I really enjoyed this book, it is a very thick book, but I couldn’t put
it down, it was funny at times with good Characters, it was easy to
read and follow, I would definitely recommend.
Tamara  Hook Me Up Book Blog
While this was not a "I can't put this book down" type of book, I really enjoyed the style of writing and the storyline. It was easy to read and I liked the quirky characters.
Nicki
Sep 02, 2013 Nicki added it
Shelves: gave-up
It's an okay story from the few chapters I read. Ciara is a good writer. I am just not particularly interested in the subject matter, so I'm giving this one a miss.
Ebony
This is the first book i have read by the Author, it was a great read, funny with classic Irish humor. Will definitely be on the look out for more by Ciara Geraghty.
Rhona
Had high hopes from reviews. Terrible. Got halfway through and couldn't put myself through the pain and suffering any longer. Now sitting out in the paper recycle bin.
Lisa
This didn't click for me like Saving Grace did. And i was disappointed by the ending. nice enough read though
Eleanor
I preferred Life Saving for Beginners but this was a light-hearted read and relaxing.
Kat Colorado
Sehr voraussehbar, wohin die Geschichte führen wird, aber eigentlich ganz nett zu lesen.
Cindy
A nice easy read. A bit predictable but still enjoyable!
Stephanie Fischer
auch schön, ende etwas unreal in meinen Augen
anne
Quite a bummer that Red is not Ellen's father
Priangga
i was really enjoy reading this book..
Christine
good fun enjoyable read
Nina Kay.
This writer is gorgeous.
Eve
A fun read!
  • Wings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch)
  • Down to Earth
  • Der Venuspakt
  • Für die Krone (Magierdämmerung, #1)
  • Walking on Trampolines
  • Moonlight in Odessa
  • Three Little Words
  • The Truth About You
  • Chocolate Wishes
  • California Dreamers
  • The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson (Jessie Jefferson #1)
  • Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)
  • Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)
  • Call of the Kiwi (In the Land of the Long White Cloud saga)
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • Finding Monsieur Right
  • The Moonlit Cage
  • In and Out of Step
Ciara Geraghty is the author of three novels, Saving Grace, Becoming Scarlett and Finding Mr Flood. She lives in Dublin with her husband and three children.
More about Ciara Geraghty...
Saving Grace Lifesaving for Beginners Finding Mr Flood Now That I've Found You Geraghty Untitled 5