Start by marking “Becoming Scarlett” as Want to Read:
Becoming Scarlett

Becoming Scarlett

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  325 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Meet Scarlett O’Hara. In her life, everything goes according to plan. Until now . . . Now, Scarlett is back in her childhood home with her plan in tatters and a baby on the way, while John Smith – actuary, proper grown-up and Scarlett’s boyfriend – has left her to join an archaeological dig in a tiny village somewhere in Brazil. But that’s not the worst bit. The worst bit ...more
Paperback
Published March 20th 2010 by Hodder & Stoughton Canada (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Scarlett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Scarlett

The Wedding Diary by Margaret JamesVision in White by Nora RobertsParty Girl by Rachel HollisBed of Roses by Nora RobertsHappy Ever After by Nora Roberts
Fictional Planners
33rd out of 94 books — 82 voters
Animal Farm by George OrwellWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Doomspell by Cliff McNishThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
With these two words.
104th out of 282 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Dec 07, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Okay, so, I think I have put down only one or two books - most books I try hard to push on to the end, just in case. And Becoming Scarlett justified my decision to do that. The first half was difficult, I didn't bond with Scarlett and I found it a rather prickly read. By the end I was gulping down every page and just loving it. The humour that surprised me into snorts of laughter, the descriptions of Ellen and Scarlett's love for her that brought tears to my eyes, the perfection of the ending, w ...more
Bhavya Gupta
Apr 04, 2016 Bhavya Gupta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sweet book. No seriously, that's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I think about it.

And the best part of the book is the author. I know, sounds weird. But man! The kind of writing! It has been so long since I enjoyed every word of a book ( #ReadingSlump ) and it was so much fun to read. To see how Scarlett O'Hara works; how her brain works; how she would think about quantum physics to calm her heart, her brain. Quirky, right?

Sure, all the major revelations could be gu
Blair
Apr 24, 2011 Blair rated it liked it
Shelves: library
It's a nice read but I knew everything before any of it happened so it didn't really hold any surprise elements for me. Loveable characters and a sweet ending.
Fabian Davy
Dec 06, 2010 Fabian Davy rated it really liked it
Being my first chick-lit book, I don't know at first how I would rate this. There was a bombardment of 'heavy' reading in my part: of thrillers, horrors and in-depth historical fiction. I was somehow a bit disappointed by the rather 'mundane' flow and lack of serious plot. "Would give it nothing more than a 4 Stars rating" I told myself.

Then, came the typical Good Ending - which surprised me because the majority of books that I've read lack this stuff (modern writings I guess). It was good enoug
Juliane
Der zweite Roman, den ich von Ciara Geraghty gelesen habe. Nach Saving Grace waren die Erwartungen extrem hoch und leider wurden sie nicht komplett erfüllt (aber nahezu).
Bei "Becoming Scarlett" (bzw. Und plötzlich ist es Glück) beginnt die Geschichte zäh. Es dauert gut 100 Seiten bis man im Fluss ist und Scarlett richtig ins Herz geschlossen hat. Dann geht es in typischer Ciara Geraghty Manier weiter: Lustig, ironisch, auch mal meloncholisch. Scarlett passieren lustige Dinge, ohne dass sie geste
Sam Still Reading
Jul 10, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Irish chick lit lovers
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read author's previous book
Earlier this year, I read Saving Grace by the same author and found it a simply lovely read, chick lit with a bit of substance. So, in a book buying slump, I picked this up for a little light reading. I think Becoming Scarlett would be a great movie- it’s full of implausible coincidences, wacky humour and engaging characters.

Scarlett O’Hara (yes, really) is the daughter of Irish film star Declan O’Hara and a habitual list maker who is one of the best wedding planners in Dublin. She finds out tha
Fiona
May 09, 2014 Fiona rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Scarlett has her dream job, a wedding planner in a busy company , her five year plan is mapped out until her long term boyfriend John ups and leaves her to go to Brazil. Now not able to sleep and feeling like her life is in tatters her plan is messed up...even more so when she discovers she is pregnant. The small fly in the ointment is the one night stand she has with Red, a barman she met while drowning her sorrows. A baby will cause too much disruption and uncertainty ...won't it?
Started off s
Kamilla
Jul 19, 2014 Kamilla rated it it was ok
I'm Finally finished. I never thought it would end. All the talk about the pregnancy and having the baby and all drove me over the edge. Maybe it was the wrong time for me to read it is all I can say to defend my reaction to it. She, the writer, is at times good at writing and catches the reader but take away about 100-150 pages about the pregnancy and give it some more happy/crazy thoughts and comments and it might have been better. The thing with all the help-yourself-books is fun. The charact ...more
Rhona
Mar 17, 2013 Rhona rated it did not like it
Had high hopes from reviews. Terrible. Got halfway through and couldn't put myself through the pain and suffering any longer. Now sitting out in the paper recycle bin.
Lisa
Dec 28, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
This didn't click for me like Saving Grace did. And i was disappointed by the ending. nice enough read though
Chanpreet
Sep 13, 2011 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing
Scarlett O'Hara is 35 years old and a wedding planner who is great at her job. She is the daughter of two actors, and has basically raised herself on her own, with some help form Phyllis, the O'Hara's housekeeper. Scarlett is always punctual, if not early and has her life planned out. She's great at what she does and has a great boyfriend, John. They are very similar. So when John says he's leaving to go buid villages in Brazil and doesn't ask her to go with him, Scarlett lets him go with out a ...more
Sabina
Aug 07, 2015 Sabina rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I've wanted to read this book for the longest time. And when I finally got my own copy, I just couldn't believe how awful I found the plot. I cannot relate to to Scarlett. I cannot relate to unexpected pregnacies and the whole family situation (at least at the very beginning) just bugs me. It's the second time I picked up this book and I just can't find the energy and the curiosity to read another line.
Jacqueline
Aug 20, 2012 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Not as good as 'Saving Grace', but better than your average chick lit. Would have been four stars but for the constant and frankly irritating attempts to be funny that started to wear long before the end of the second chapter. A shame as there were quite a few laugh out loud incidents, but they were overshadowed by daft coincidences and a constant flow of asides describing 'funny' character quirks that you rarely saw the character actually do, making it all feel rather contrived and trying too h ...more
Ita Ryan
Mar 26, 2014 Ita Ryan rated it it was amazing
A fun book. Ciara's characters are entertaining, and the heroine is likeable. Brightened up my day and helped with my flu.
Olga Browne
Jul 27, 2014 Olga Browne rated it did not like it
So cheesy, tedious & obvious ..
Karen Meerts
Jan 11, 2015 Karen Meerts rated it really liked it
Laughed out loud a couple of times and ordered 2 more books of this writer
Kate
Nice read for days that are too warm to think.
Don't get me wrong, I liked parts of this novel, they even made me laugh, but most of the time the dialogues were just too silly for me to laugh.
I liked the characters, they were easy to like, and the language fit the plot perfectly.

It was definitely intersting to read about a planning addicted wedding planner whose plans were destroyed by one night, but it just wasn't my taste in books.
but I'm interested in the first book written by this author.
Emily
Aug 28, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit-fluff
I read few "chick lit" so am no expert in the genre, but found this one pleasingly more substantial than those I've read before. The characters were fun, and there was some sadness amongst the "froth". I would recommend it to those who are fans of "chick lit" and those wanting to dip their toe into the the genre.
Aug 18, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Wonderful chick lit - really entertaining writer. This is the second one of hers I've read and I'm going to look for her third book at the library. Why have in ever heard of Ciara Geraghty before? Her Australian promotions team need to work harder!
Janet
Oct 02, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Becoming Scarlett! Light holiday read. I did relate to Charlotte's relationship with Ellen. Definitely a wonderful realisation of motherhood and becoming exactly who you are meant to be.
Aileen
Apr 06, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it is a very thick book, but I couldn’t put
it down, it was funny at times with good Characters, it was easy to
read and follow, I would definitely recommend.
Erika
This book started well, but within a few chapters it had become repetitive, boring & formulaic. I persevered. I was waiting & hoping that the book might improve... But it didn't.
Amanda
Oct 31, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-l-own
First book that l have read by this author. I did enjoy %95 of it. It's biggest downfall was it's predictability. All in all a pleasant read, a one dayer. Will look at her other titles
Susan
Jan 24, 2016 Susan marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
I speed-read it and only made it to page 100. My young soul just couldn't relate. Maybe I will read it in the future, but for now I'll just put it on hold till I'm ready.
Tamara  Hook Me Up Book Blog
Oct 08, 2011 Tamara Hook Me Up Book Blog rated it really liked it
While this was not a "I can't put this book down" type of book, I really enjoyed the style of writing and the storyline. It was easy to read and I liked the quirky characters.
Nicki
Sep 02, 2013 Nicki added it
Shelves: gave-up
It's an okay story from the few chapters I read. Ciara is a good writer. I am just not particularly interested in the subject matter, so I'm giving this one a miss.
Ebony
Nov 12, 2013 Ebony rated it liked it
This is the first book i have read by the Author, it was a great read, funny with classic Irish humor. Will definitely be on the look out for more by Ciara Geraghty.
Eleanor
Feb 17, 2013 Eleanor rated it liked it
I preferred Life Saving for Beginners but this was a light-hearted read and relaxing.
Kat Colorado
Feb 20, 2012 Kat Colorado rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: german, 2012
Sehr voraussehbar, wohin die Geschichte führen wird, aber eigentlich ganz nett zu lesen.
Cindy
May 22, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
A nice easy read. A bit predictable but still enjoyable!
  • Sternschnuppen
  • Die Sternseherin (Licht & Schatten, #2)
  • The Blue Mile
  • Linksaufsteher: Ein Montagsroman
  • Für die Krone (Magierdämmerung, #1)
  • Die Nebelsängerin (Das Erbe der Runen, #1)
  • Schutzpatron (Kommissar Kluftinger, #6)
  • Dust of the Land
  • Moonlight in Odessa
  • Wings of Fear
  • Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)
  • Kate's Wedding
  • Entblößt (Colours of Love, #2)
  • California Dreamers
  • Right Before Your Eyes
  • Down to Earth
  • My Fabulous Divorce
  • Sophie and the Rising Sun
Ciara Geraghty is the author of three novels, Saving Grace, Becoming Scarlett and Finding Mr Flood. She lives in Dublin with her husband and three children.
More about Ciara Geraghty...