Start by marking “She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir

She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother: A Memoir

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Gayle Batt is the kind of lady who throws elegant cocktail parties while wearing layers of silk chiffon, dripping pearls, and eight months’ pregnant. She is the kind of woman who says “anyhoo” and calls everyone “Dahlin’” or a special pet name. With hair, makeup, and nails always done to perfection, she triumphs rather than crumbles when infidelity, alcoholism, cancer, or ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Ain't Heavy, She's My Mother

Sharon
Upfront admission: I've never watched a single episode of Mad Men. However, I saw Bryan Batt on Emeril Lagasse's program a while ago and he was tremendously charming and entertaining. He also talked about this book, and I put a hold on it at the library.

I was entertained by Batt's reminisces, both about his theatrical career, being a closeted gay man who eventually found the courage to come out when playing a gay man on-stage, and about his mother (Gayle). Batt told his stories with good humor a
Ronald Wilcox
Bryan Batt, the author, is an actor/celebrity from New Orleans and is on the Board of Trustees for the agency I work for, the NO/AIDS Task Force. In this memoir, he talks about his life in New Orleans and then in New York, growing up very close to his mother and as a gay man growing up in the Deep South. His mother is a very colorful character who clearly loves her son and his writing shows how much love he has for her. Was a surprisingly fun read.
Teddie
This was a wonderful and funny book. I have never seen Bryan Batt act, but if he acts as good as he writes, an oscar is not far off. What a wonderful tribute to his mother, no wonder she's so proud of him. I just wish the book was longer because I so enjoyed reading it.
Jo Ann Hall
Fluffy, fun reminiscence about life in New Orleans circa 60s, 70s. Bryan Batt's love letter to his childhood and his mom, of course, is a lot of fun. This book is one of three I purchased at the Tennessee Williams Literary Festival earlier this year.
Meagan
I grabbed this book on the last day my Borders was open, for 50 cents. It has been a slow yet pleasant read. Though, pleasant in the way one may enjoy a good dinner conversation. You may find it sweet or amusing and even sometimes emotional, but you wouldn't necessary record it down for others.

Bryan's relationship with his mother is sweet and her ability to press ever on through all her hardships is also encouraging. Her story is interesting, as is her personality, but I can't help but feel the
Sue
I got this book because I love, love, love the show Mad Men. The character of Sal was not included last season, so I googled the actor to see if I could find out if Sal is returning to the show.

That's when I found out about the book, downloaded it to my Kindle, and enjoyed the ride...uh, read.

My best take-away: How fortunate that this man was raised with so much love, was so nurtured and accepted, that he felt confident to break away and pursue his dreams.

And along the way, he found lasting lov
Julie
I started this book and was very excited by it since I adore Bryan Batt, but I just couldn't get into it. I felt like I needed to know the people in the book personally to get into the stories and I had the same problem I tend to have with a lot of biographical books, which is that the timeline seems muddled and hard to follow. I always want biographical books to follow a set timeline and reference years so I know what we are talking about. Batt's writing is entertaining and I may try this book ...more
Mary Lynn
I picked this up because I enjoyed his non-fiction decorating book so much and it mentioned on the jacket that he'd written this memoir also. Recommended mostly for people from New Orleans and fans of his acting and/or home design work. A quick, light read aabout a man and his mom. Fun and fluffy even when covering serious topics.
Pat
Entertaining biography of the author/actor's mother. Born and raised in New Orleans, his mother was a larger than life character in his world; she faced numerous crises with humor and strength; and enjoyed her son's eventual success on the stage and screen; including his current role on the successful "Mad Men".
Jean
I think it helps if you are from New Orleans to read this memoir by Bryan Batt. It is a fond look back at his childhood and the role the women in his life played especially his mother. His triumphs in New York and the realization that he is gay is all explored here.
Bunny
Bryan Batt is utterly delightful. And now I'm even sadder that he's off Mad Men.

I know his mother well. I've never met her personally, but she is a classic New Orleans lady, and intensely wonderful.

Such a sweet, touching, funny book.
Carole Landry
Funny, easy read about growing up in Nawlins with an Auntie Mame-ish mother and typical dysfunctional extended family. All the things we love about growing up southern. The author is the Mad Men actor, Bryan Batt.
Jessi
Bryan Batt found fame on "Mad Men" but has always relied on his mother's love to help him get through. This is a touching look back with stories from his life that center around his mother.
Renee Thompson
Nice, humorous little memoir written by one of the actors on "Mad Men" focusing on his charming Southern mother and her eccentricities. I love it when men love their mothers.
Jani
There's hardly anything more appealing than a man who really loves his family, and Batt does, through all their foibles. This was a fun read.
Bedford Library
If you are a Mad Men fan, you'll enjoy this funny memoir by the actor that plays Sal. His mother is a force to be reckoned with...
Katie
Loved this book! Bryann Batt tells a great story about his colorful character of a southern belle mother. It's worth the read.
Denice Hogan
I had seen him on the View and LOVED him. Went right out and bought the book. It was okay but not great. He is so funny though
Pat
Good Southern book. I rated it 4 stars because it was funny, enjoyed the Southern women and the author.
ksj
Thought this book might be fun and it was. The writing drew me in and kept me entertained throughout.
Adamkassim
This is a fun, quick read. I couldn't help but bring out my own Southern accent while reading it.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Shannon
Light but charming memoir from the actor who played Sal on Mad Men.
Angela Brooks
Cute story. A gay boy and his mother.
Garrick
Aug 13, 2010 Garrick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of "Mad Men"
Nicely written memoir.
Kristen Stewart
Funny and endearing.
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Siân
Siân marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
  • My Trip Down the Pink Carpet
  • Paul Robeson
  • Send Yourself Roses: Thoughts on My Life, Love, and Leading Roles
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • An Improvised Life
  • Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories
  • Cancer is a Bitch (or, I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis)
  • Take Your Shirt Off and Cry: A Memoir of Near-Fame Experiences
  • Beautiful: The Life of Hedy Lamarr
  • The Lavender Menace: Tales of Queer Villainy!
  • The House at the End of the Road: The Story of Three Generations of an Interracial Family in the American South
  • He's The One
  • Selfish and Perverse
  • Swimming Underground: My Years in the Warhol Factory
  • Mississippi Sissy
  • Poker Face: The Rise and Rise of Lady Gaga
  • Wacky Chicks: Life Lessons from Fearlessly Inappropriate and Fabulously Eccentric Women
  • Disaster Preparedness: A Memoir
Big, Easy Style: Creating Rooms You Love to Live In

“I have my issues with organized religion and cafeteria-style religion, picking and choosing certain dogmas that apply or seem ethical while ignoring the oppressive, non-inclusive, and outdated ones as if they don't exist. The trouble began a long time ago when we tried to bring God indoors. Leave it to mankind to screw it up and to Christians to turn heaven into an exclusive country club.” 1 likes